Final

Our Love Language

Sana looks down in disbelief at her aloe vera yoghurt that she was sharing with Momo. “You ate all the aloe!” Sana glared pointedly at Momo, who immediately looked away. 

 

“There’s still some inside, you just aren’t looking carefully enough,” Momo argued, rolling her eyes so hard that all one could see was the whites. Sana shot her one last glare before sulkily eating the rest of her now aloe-less yoghurt. 

 

Looking back and forth between the two, Jeongyeon let out a huge sigh. “You knew that was going to happen so you shouldn’t have given it to her in the first place.” Momo smiled smugly at Jeongyeon’s words, looking at Sana with a victorious expression.

 

“And you,” Jeongyeon scolded, smacking Momo on the arm. “That’s not what sharing is. Now apologise.”

 

The two glanced at each other for a second, seemingly about to make up, before launching into yet another meaningless fight over something that happened earlier in the day. 

 

Jeongyeon slumped onto the table in defeat. “This is going to be a long lunch break.”

 

———————

 

Tzuyu glanced down at her watch. It had been 20 minutes since they had entered the library, yet not a single word of their literature project had been written.

 

They were supposed to do a presentation on a Shakespeare play of their choice but Sana and Momo had spent the entire time arguing over whether Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet was a better play. 

 

“Romeo and Juliet is the greatest love story of all time! What do you have against romance?” Sana slammed the book onto the table, earning a glare from the librarian and a groan from Tzuyu. 

 

“They fell in love after meeting once and then died,” Momo deadpanned. “It was stupid.”

 

Sana gasped. “You take that back!”

 

As she watched the pair continue their pointless argument, Tzuyu quietly cursed at the teacher in every language she knew for partnering her with Sana and Momo.

 

———————

 

For the fifth time this week (it was only Tuesday), Nayeon lamented over the fact that she was, once again, sitting in between Sana and Momo, who were bickering over her head. 

 

“You know,” Nayeon started, raising her eyebrow. “For 2 people who hate each other, you hang out together really often.”

 

“Momoring secretly loves me. She’s just pretending to hate me.” Sana said as she reached over Nayeon to hug Momo tightly and plant a sloppy kiss on her cheek.

 

Momo immediately made a face of disgust and wiped it away with her hand, pushing Sana away.

 

But Momo miscalculated her strength and Sana fell off the bench, crashing painfully into the floor, her eyes glistening with unshed tears as she looked up at Momo. She quickly stood up, grabbed her bag and ran away before either Nayeon or Momo could react.

 

Momo continued staring at the spot where Sana fell, long after Sana left, guilt written all over her face.

 

———————

 

“Sana-chan, are you okay?” Mina asked concernedly to Sana, who was staring blankly into space, not moving a muscle. “Class was over 5 minutes ago.”

 

Blinking slowly, Sana snapped out of her trance and smiled weakly at Mina. “Sorry I was just thinking about my literature project. The deadline is coming up soon.”

 

“Okay...” Mina didn’t believe Sana at all but decided to let it slide, seeing how tired Sana looked. “Shall we go? They’ll start practice soon.”

 

Every Tuesday after class, Sana would go with Mina and Momo to dance class, but after what happened just now, she wasn’t sure if she was ready to see Momo just yet. 

 

“I think I’ll skip this week. I should probably go to the library and finish my literature project.” Sana grimaced at the blatant lie, hoping that Mina wouldn’t question it.

 

Mina narrowed her eyes. Sana would never skip dance for a project. Ever. 

 

“It’s really important to my grade?” Sana tried, eyes silently pleading Mina not to ask any further.

 

“Fine. Hope you finish your... project soon.” Mina gave Sana one last suspicious look before taking her bag and leaving for dance class.

 

Sana sighed in relief and decided to head to the library anyway. 

 

                      ———————

 

Sana tiredly shuffled into her apartment, going straight to the kitchen for a cold drink to cheer her up. Of course she knew that Momo didn’t mean it, but that didn’t mean that it hurt any less. 

 

Opening the fridge, her heart warmed and she couldn’t stop the smile spreading across her face. Sitting in the middle of the fridge was a newly bought cup of aloe vera yoghurt. 

 

Sana brought it over to where Momo was sitting on the couch, pretending to watch netflix, her eyes nervously glancing back and forth between the screen and Sana’s face. Sana sat down next to her and scooped some aloe vera into the spoon. “Ah,” she said, trying to feed Momo. An acceptance of her apology. 

 

Momo visibly relaxed and smiled softly at Sana’s gesture, opening to eat the yoghurt. A little bit got on the edge of and Sana her cheek lovingly. “You’re so messy,” she whispered, leaning in to press a chaste kiss on her lips, off the excess yoghurt. “I love you.”

 

“I know,” Momo whispered back fondly, arms wrapping around Sana’s waist to pull her closer. “I’m sorry. I love you too. No matter what.”

 

Yes, they may bicker over the smallest things, but that was how their relationship worked and Sana wouldn’t change it for the world. Even if others didn’t get it, they communicated in a love language that only they two understood, and that was enough. 

 

———————

 

Bonus:

 

“Surprise! Happy birthday Momo!” Everyone yelled as Dahyun flung open the door to Sana and Momo’s apartment, having found the spare key underneath the welcome mat. “Oh my god my eyes!” Dahyun yelled dramatically, her previously happy expression morphing into one of disgust. 

 

Sana and Momo sprung apart immediately, moving to opposite ends of the couch while scrambling to put their shirts back on. 

 

While Dahyun was still crouching on the ground, mumbling about her lost innocence, the rest gaped at the two in shock, unable to believe what they were seeing. Was this really the Sana and Momo they knew? The Sana and Momo who constantly fought and seemingly hated each other?

 

Finally, Chaeyoung broke the silence, “You... you... what?”

 

Sana giggled at their confusion, going over to back hug Momo. “I was just giving my girlfriend her birthday present. What’s wrong with that?”

 

“Girlfriend?!” Nayeon yelled. 

 

“It will be 4 years this year,” Momo nodded in agreement, leaning back to look at Sana, her eyes full of unmistakable affection. 

 

Everyone spent the rest of the night grumbling about their suffering due to the pair’s strange way of flirting.