Chapter 1

Take the First Step
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a typical Friday night, they were at their shared apartment. Minju was in her room, dressing up while Chaewon was in the living room, flicking through Netflix. She was waiting for the other girl, but eventually settling to just turning the tv off. 

 

“Minju-yah!! What’s taking you so long?” Chaewon half -shouted as she stood up to get something to drink. 

 

“I’ll be out in five!” Minju answered back, slipping on her shoes. The girl gave herself a last look in the mirror and grabbed her bag before leaving her room.

 

It was a few minutes after Chaewon called out to the other girl when she smelled the girl’s perfume. Through the years, Minju’s perfume had been a familiar scent to her. It was nothing new. But as she saw Minju walk towards her, wearing a pastel-colored dress with just sneakers, Chaewon felt like the air in her lungs was knocked out of her. All she could do was stare at the younger girl. This has happened several times to the point that Chaewon isn’t surprised anymore. She can never anticipate it happening, but as always, she feels her heart skip a beat.

 

“What do you think?” Minju asked as she made a small twirl in front of the other girl. 

 

Chaewon continued to stare at Minju like she was from another planet. Having no immediate reply from the older girl, Minju got a bit self-conscious. “Do I look bad? Should I change into another outfit?” 

 

Finally hearing the younger, Chaewon immediately shook her head, suddenly realizing that Minju was standing in front of her. “No, you look perfect.” she said, reaching out to MInju to fix her bangs. 

 

Minju was a bit surprised of Chaewon’s actions but did nothing to stop the other girl. Even after Chaewon was finished fixing her bangs, the two stood in their place, staring and smiling at each other, with Chaewon admiring Minju’s indian dimples.

 

After a while, their staring contest was broken by Minju. “Chaewon-ah, you okay? You’re malfunctioning.” she told the older girl, giving a soft laugh as she observed the girl come to her senses. 

 

Ignoring Minju’s comment, Chaewon asked, “So, are you ready?”. The younger girl nodded as the older girl took her hand and led her towards the door. Once they were at the door, Chaewon squeezed Minju’s hand, getting the attention of the younger girl. 



 

 

 

 

 

 


 

“Take care okay? Have fun on your date.” Chaewon said, her voice soft as if telling Minju a secret. 

 

The younger girl smiled, “I will!” she said. Squeezing back Chaewon’s hand and leaving their apartment. 

 

Once the younger girl was no longer in sight, Chaewon heaved a sigh, closing their apartment’s door.

 

--

Chaewon wasn’t restless. She liked to believe that. She just couldn’t sleep. It was almost midnight and there she was, in their living room, wearing her pajamas, watching some documentary. It wasn’t even interesting in the first place but it was the only thing that kept her from thinking about things -- or rather someone. She was in deep thought when the sound of the door opening caught her attention. 

It was Minju. 

 

“Hey, you’re still up?’ Minju asked as she entered the living room and sat next to the other girl. 

 

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep.” Chaewon answered, eyes still glued on the tv. She scooted a little bit to make some room for the younger. 

 

“You sure you weren’t waiting for me? Missed me that much?” Minju teased the older girl. Chaewon swiftly turned her head towards Minju, faking an offended look. “As if. You’re getting full of yourself Ms. Kim.” she cheekily responded. 

 

Minju laughed at the other girl’s response. She knew deep down, Chaewon was waiting for her. She always was. 

 

“So, how was the date?” Chaewon asked, moving her body to fully face the younger girl. 

 

“It was good. I enjoyed it.” Minju answered. 

 

Chaewon was looking at the other girl, waiting for her to continue, but Minju didn’t. “That’s it? It was that boring huh.” Chaewon joked which earned her a light punch to the arm. 

 

“No, it wasn’t!” Minju exclaimed. She really did enjoy her date. 

 

“So it was that good you don’t want to share details? Wow, I didn’t think Shin Ryujin had it in her. You’re almost speechless!” Chaewon slightly teased the other girl. The only confirmation she got was that the girl in front of her was blushing madly. 

 

“Okay okay, I won’t ask anymore. As long as you had fun right?” She smiled at the younger girl. 

 

“Anyway, how about you? What are you watching?” Minju asked, letting go of their previous topic. “Actually, I don’t really know.” The older Kim answered. 

 

“See! You were waiting for me!” The younger exclaimed, tackling the older girl with a hug and a teasing grin. “Fine, fine. I was waiting for you.” Chaewon admitted, buried into pink hair and the smell of jasmine. 

 

--

“Chaewon-ah, I just got out of class. Where are you?” Minju texted Chaewon as she exited the lecture hall. They were planning to watch a movie after her class ended. 

 

Chaewon was on the other side of the campus when her phone got a notification. She was finishing a report with her classmates Yena and Hyewon. Smiling, she picked up her phone and typed a reply. 

 

“I’m at Chaser’s, you know, the cafe I always go to?”

 

“Got a text from Ms. Kim, Ms. Kim?” Yena joked.

 

“At this point, why are you even asking Yena? Of course it’s Minju! She only smiles like that for her. Even if she’s technically not here.” Hyewon added. 

 

The two really enjoyed messing with the girl. It was not often that they get to , so when the opportunity comes, they make the most of it. 

 

“Yup! Be there in 10!” Minju replied.

 

“Yah, you two shut up! I need to go in a bit so we need to finish this.” Chaewon defended herself, completely engrossed typing on her laptop. 

 

“Why? You going on a date with Minju?” Yena teased.

 

“We’re just gonna watch a movie.” Chaewon replied, still not looking at the other two.

 

“Yup, it’s a date. You can’t tell us otherwise Chaewon.” Hyewon said while munching on some fries. 

 

“No it’s not. Get back to work, losers.” There was something different with Chaewon’s tone when she replied. Bitterness? Defeat?

 

Chaewon finally looked at the two. They were looking at her as if she was speaking another language they didn’t understand. 

 

“What?” Chaewon asked. 

 

Yena and Hyewon just looked at each other. With a light shove from Hyewon, Yena asked Chaewon, “When are you two getting together? C’mon Chaewon, are you not making a move? It’s been ages!”

 

Chaewon sighed, returning her gaze to the laptop in front of her. “We are not getting together okay? And I don’t know if we’ll ever be. She’s already dating someone.”

 

Chaewon’s reply silenced the two. With Hyewon breaking the silence.

 

“Well, if that movie isn’t a date, you wouldn’t mind if Yena and I come, right?” 

 

“Ugh I----” Chaewon got cut off when someone called for her. 

 

“Chaewon-ah!” The girl waved from the cafe’s door.

 

It was Minju. 

 

She was smiling and her hair was a bit tousled. Chaewon thought she looked perfect, even with ink smears on her hand. Whipped. 

 

Seeing Minju, Chaewon wasn’t even able to let out a single word from . A bit dazed, she just waved at the other girl. Minju gestured that she’d buy something first before going to her and Chaewon only nodded. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter