Channeling Your Feelings

Channeling Your Feelings

Kim Jongin has always been a curious boy.

It was the center of his mom’s pride, easily becoming the topic whenever his parents ever have guests. Jongin would remember the many times he’d hear about his fascination with opening containers, especially when it went to a point that there was a cue word for him to hide in his room (a mother’s pride exceeds toddler years after all). He learned to listen to cue words even more when he grew older, and his mother’s speech was more about complaints that they couldn’t hide anything from the boy. Luckily, Mrs. Kim’s pride shone again when he found his passion for dance.

Nevertheless, Jongin is still a curious boy.

So when he was kicked out of the students lounge by some bratty seniors, he started looking around for vacant places. He then stands in front of one of the most memorable rooms he had come across this school year: the Biology Laboratory. Oddly, the memory barely had much to do with the subject; rather, it was the boy who helped him pass his practical. The boy who became his first high school crush.

The boy named Do Kyungsoo.

The two weren’t strangers, but they weren’t close friends either. After the tutor sessions, they would talk to each other comfortably if they saw each other, but they’d never really initiate a hangout by themselves. Jongin likes it, but he would be lying if he says he never imagined them casually calling each other to meet up. Or, better yet, him bringing the guy out on a date. Alas, some things may just never happen.

Jongin snaps out of his non-existent love story when a loud bump was heard at the other side of the door.

Maybe he wasn’t entirely out of his thoughts as he immediately stormed in the room. Before he was even able to see the situation, he asks aloud.

“Are you okay sunbae?”

 

 

Byun Baekhyun is the definition of confidence.

Perhaps that's what truly makes him look good in whatever he wears, or how he succeeds in whatever he wishes to do. His parents, remembering the similar characteristic from his older brother, knew very well they made another double-edged sword. Luckily, because of their experience, they were able to handle the wittiness of Baekhyun a bit better, but that never meant they didn’t pass through some problems.

Take 10th grade for example. Baekhyun was very blunt with what he likes, and he loved how eyeliner complimented his eyes. However, what he didn’t love was the rule in his school that bans makeup with students completely. The Byun parents were left to betting how long it would take for their son to make a rally, Mr. Byun even called that there would be “Eyeliner isn’t evil” signs plastered.

The loser of the bet would have to talk to the principal and, weeks later, Mrs. Byun was seen bringing Baekhyun by the ear to the Principal’s Office.

Back to the point, Baekhyun is the epitome of confidence.

So when he decides it will be him that will control his social destiny, this decision led to him wanting to befriend one of his batch-mates, Chanyeol.

He doesn’t know why but his confidence says do it. So he did.

Or at least, attempted to.

It has only been a week, so perhaps it will take time, but he can’t help but wonder what the hell is he doing wrong.

He tried to help Chanyeol by helping him find one of his composition notebooks, but the guy never talked to him about it after (he was pouty from the absence of gratitude that day two became 'rest and rant day' instead). He tried again by talking to the boy with a common interest: music. He saw Chanyeol tapping with a pencil and the notebook (that same notebook that Baekhyun found from the previous attempt) was on his desk. But no, he didn’t receive a response!

Nevertheless, Baekhyun had the urge to become his friend and did not want to give up just yet. So instead of ending his mini-mission, he ends up in his favorite teacher’s laboratory and, to make it somewhat productive, lets out all his frustrations while he checks for results in his experiment. This is exactly what is seen at this time: Baekhyun grumbling with a pen in one hand and a colorimeter by his side. But at least, he has found a 'coping mechanism' to keep his will strong.

“If only I could do an experiment on human sciences,” he glared at the innocent cuvette. Almost all the apparatus had been subject to his talks and, if they were alive, they could’ve ended the boy’s life with all the gossip.

“Can Chanyeol even be observed for Human Sciences? Does logic even appear in his mind?” Baekhyun already talks about the boy as if they’re close enough to be like that. As if.

"Is it perhaps the mixture of characteristics I present? Do our compositions just not match?" As you can tell, Baekhyun has decided to let out his feelings though dramatic somewhat scientific jargon. This went on for a few more minutes until he finally started cleaning up.

Baekhyun's mood started to become less whiny about his failed attempt and, by the time he finished placing the cleaned apparatus to where they belong, he was able to carry a happy tune while skipping around the lab. However, it is basic knowledge not to play in the lab. Holding a whiteboard marker and making a pretend concert in a room filled with breakables and chemicals is not ideal.

He only really considered this as he watches a container of sharp instruments fall on the ground because of a misstep.

"Are you okay sunbae?"

"Kim Jongin?"

On the other side of the story, it was no shocker that Jongin expected someone else. Specifically, someone a grade below Baekhyun. Perhaps with bigger eyes and lips and an experience of tutoring the boy in this same room.

 

-----

 

"Watch out for that beaker hyung," Jongin sntaches the container as the other turns around.

"Oops?" Baekhyun chuckles as if he isn't holding a test-tube holder with some Potassium thiocyanate.

"We wouldn't want to have another accident now would we?"

It's no secret the two became closer after saving each other's asses from the laboratory incident (Baekhyun was saved from his professor's wrath, and Jongin from being exposed of his love for Kyungsoo). Nowadays, Baekhyun is close to being friends with Jongin's teachers before the break, and Jongin - well - Jongin tries to leave the class before the bell rings.

Sometimes Jongin would stop at Baekhyun's too, the older would know his friend got into some big trouble whenever he hears his thirsty classmates screaming and running. "You're making them cougars I tell you," Baekhyun told him after the 5th incident of screaming.

Back to the lab, we have Baekhyun giving a thumbs up to his worried friend.

"You never know, we could add another friend to the bunch!" The older grins.

"Maybe Chanyeol hyung could step in?" Jongin nudges the older. Baekhyun luckily remembers to put down the test tube before he turns to the other to give the slowest, most dramatic eyebrow raise he could muster.

"Perhaps Kyungsoo would be tagging along?"

Now it was Jongin's turn to remember to put the beaker down before he makes a mini-war.

 

-----

 

No one witnessed someone clapping exaggeratedly like the sassy women on twitter clips awhile swaying hips to full potential and chanting 'why don't you just love me already' in every clap.

This was how Baekhyun calmed down every time his signals bounced off the great wall of Chanyeol.

It was a good one, till the door no longer remained closed.

And so Jongin and Baekhyun's friendship flourished even more.