a crush

hate (that i love) yoo

Mina was glad they finished redecorating the office after a week, partly because the equipment they requested took the whole week for all to be delivered. Yoo Jeongyeon's fault, of course, Mina tells herself. Sitting beside Sana’s table, she can’t help but feel the radiating positivity of the girl. Mina was glad when she quickly became friends with her two workmates, which can be highly faulted to the fact that they were Japanese.

Mina thought Sana gives off a really friendly vibe. They’ve never really worked on a project yet but seeing how they exchanged ideas (and the fact that Mina stealthily checked out her works) Mina finds it safe to assume that Sana is qualified for the job. Momo, on the other hand, is a real wonder. Sometimes Mina thinks she’s a robot who can only work upon command of food but of course this thought is merely to amuse herself, Mina clarifies. All in all, except for the fact that Jeongyeon is her boss, Mina thinks she can work well in the department.

“Good morning, team!” Jeongyeon has arrived and announced it with a cheerful greeting. As though on cue, they all stood up to greet her.

“Good morning, Chief Yoo,” the three employees said in unison.

“I have good news for you.” Jeongyeon smiles. “We’ll have new members in our team.”

Mina almost clapped. Finally, the department chief is using her head to help the team. Mina has always wanted to bring it up to Jeongyeon that they will definitely need more people in their team.

Jeongyeon went to open the door and three young girls entered, bowing at all of them. Mina’s jaw almost fell, knowing exactly who the girls are—interns.

“We have three new interns!” Jeongyeon announces cheerfully. “Don’t worry. I handpicked these interns from the list of applicants. All of them are very much capable to help us.”

Mina has nothing against interns—she was once an intern herself. It is just that she fears they’ll spend more time mentoring the interns instead of actually getting some work done. The admiration she felt for Jeongyeon turned into annoyance, thinks Jeongyeon should really learn how to consult with her about her decisions when it comes to the department. But then again, who is she?

They introduced themselves. Turns out they do not come from the same university and it’s making Mina feel even more worried. What if they can’t work together?

The short-haired blonde girl’s Son Chaeyoung. It turns out she is an artist and drawing on paper is her forte. As a graphic artist, it is safe to assume that she will be working closely with Momo. Then there is the pretty Taiwanese girl, very timid yet intimidating, who applied as a writer. Sana already claimed to take Tzuyu under her wings. The third one is who Mina finds odd. Kim Dahyun is a music major and it doesn’t make sense to her why she applied for an internship in this company and why Jeongyeon thought that Dahyun has to be in their team. She really can’t seem to understand how Jeongyeon’s mind works. But then again, she never dreamt of ever knowing.

They quickly scramble to find a place where the interns could possibly stay, seeing that they have designed the room without thinking that there will be interns. Just when Mina thought that they will actually get to working, they’re back to square one.

“I have an idea,” Jeongyeon says all of a sudden. Mina rolls her eyes at that, knows to herself that whatever it is that Jeongyeon is thinking is NOT a good idea.

“You know my office is quite big for me,” Jeongyeon starts. Mina smirks, thinks Jeongyeon really should just have the interns in her office instead so they’d be less of a bother to her, Sana and Momo.

“Head Myoui, how’d you like to share my office with me?”

Mina’s eyes widen and she coughs in disbelief. Her instinct was right. This is NOT a good idea.

“Uh-uhmm,” Mina stutters. She clears . “I don’t know, Chief Yoo. It doesn’t seem like a good idea for the department chief to share her office to her subordinates.” Mina wishes Jeongyeon would find reason in her excuse.

“You’re right.” Jeongyeon says. Mina sighs in relief. “Better you than interns. You’re the head manager, next in rank and I’m confident in you.”

Mina’s jaw drop, not believing what she just got herself into.

“Sana and Momo, please help the girls find a place to settle. Their tables should be delivered any minute now.” Jeongyeon turns to Mina. “And Head Myoui, shall I help you move your table?”

Mina was quiet for some ten seconds until Sana nudges her. “Mina.”

“Oh? Oh! Of course, Chief Yoo. Thank you.” Mina swears she could go to the marketing department and beg them to take her back in.

 

 

--

“Take me back,” Mina almost begs. “Please, Hyo. Take me back.”

Jihyo only shakes her head and puts her tray in the table they usually share. “That department is your brilliant idea, Mina.”

Mina pouts, takes the seat opposite Jihyo. “I know but Jeongyeon is just too much,” she whines.

Jihyo who was about to eat, raises an eyebrow at her. “Jeongyeon?” Jihyo questions the hint of familiarity.

“Ugh. I meant Chief Yoo!”

Jihyo chuckles. “I don’t know. You guys seem close.”

“Please.” Mina rolls her eyes. “Not if my life depended on it.”

“I don’t know what is it about your chief that’s getting you all worked up really. She hasn’t actually ed up, you know.” Jihyo shrugs.

“Did you want me to wait for her to mess up before doing anything?”

Jihyo could only laugh. “Mina, what do you intend to do anyway?”

Mina bits her lower lip, realizes she really has nothing planned. “I don’t know. Confront her?”

“Let’s see you do that,” Jihyo says almost mockingly.

“Anyway, we have three new interns.” Mina shares before finally digging her lunch.

“About that,” Jihyo starts. “I kinda asked your chief to take some of our interns. Sorry.”

“How could you do that?!” Mina whines, but still tries not to scold her friend.

“What?” Jihyo says in a matter of fact. “We’re overstaffed, you’re understaffed. Makes perfect sense to me.”

“I think I hate you sometimes, Ji,” Mina resigns and continues eating.

“I doubt that.” Jihyo smiles.

 

--

Mina hates this. She hasn’t focused at all the whole day because sitting right in front of her the CEO’s daughter, her boss, department chief, Yoo Jeongyeon. She could’ve had her table on the same side as Jeongyeon but Jeongyeon tells her they’ll save more space if Mina would just have her table opposite hers instead. Stupid sofa set. Why does Jeongyeon has to have sofa set anyways? Mina says Jeongyeon is just flexing but she knows to herself that every department chief has one. She could’ve had one. But whatever. There’s nothing she can do about it anyway.

“Head Myoui,” Jeongyeon says but Mina didn’t hear her. “Mina,” she calls instead.

Mina was startled when she realized Jeongyeon was calling her. “Ow. Yes. Yes, Chief Yoo?”

Jeongyeon closed the folder she was apparently reviewing. “You were staring. Is there something you’d like to say?” Jeongyeon clasps her hands together and rests her chin on top of it. “Hmm?”

Mina could almost glare at Jeongyeon, thinks the girl is wearing a smug grin. Mina would like to clarify that she was not at all staring at Jeongyeon. She was merely lost in her thoughts and of course, her eyes would rest in front of her which just so happens to be where Jeongyeon is. She was definitely not staring at Jeongyeon as the latter seems to have deluded herself.

“I wasn’t staring, Chief Yoo,” Mina denies with a courteous smile. Deep inside, Mina wants to rip that smug grin on Jeongyeon’s face.

“If that’s what you say, Mina.” Jeongyeon only smiles and resumed to her work.

Mina narrowed her eyes at Jeongyeon, feeling like Jeongyeon is up to something with everything that is happening recently. She tries to recall her first encounter with Jeongyeon. The way Jeongyeon ‘trapped’ her in her arms. Then when Jeongyeon gifted her with a pair of new shoes. And when Jeongyeon tended to her wounded fingers. The way she was quick to offer to share her office. The way Jeongyeon seems to fixate about Mina staring at her (which Mina swears she does not do!). Mina gasps at the realization she thinks she has caught on. Yoo Jeongyeon has a crush on her.

Mina covers and shakes her head. Yoo Jeongyeon has a crush on her, she tells herself again. Before she knew it, she was laughing by herself.

“Now, I’m afraid,” Jeongyeon says, looking quizzically at Mina. “What seems to be so funny, Mina?”

Mina giggles. “Nothing, Chief Yoo. I just remembered something.” Mina smiles at Jeongyeon, her eyes blinking more than usual.

“You’re weird sometimes, Mina.” Jeongyeon sighs with a smile, shaking her head.

Mina smirks at that. She thinks she got Jeongyeon wrapped around her fingers.

She thinks.

 

--

Mina checks her phone while waiting for the elevator. On her wallpaper was her favorite idol, Im Nayeon. She smiles as she scrolls down on the news site, reads that Im Nayeon will be making her acting debut.

“New drama to look forward to,” Mina says to herself, excited.

“Your boyfriend texting you, Head Myoui?” she suddenly hears Jeongyeon say, pressing on the elevator button which is useless but everybody does it anyway.

Mina grins.

She’s fishing to know whether I’m available for dating.

“No, Chief Yoo,” Mina says. “In fact, I’m not dating anyone,” she adds, her tone meaningful.

Jeongyeon looked at Mina, confused, but smiled nonetheless. “That’s a great thing, I guess?”

Great for you.

Just then the elevator door opened with Jeongyeon letting Mina in first.

It was quiet for a few moments.

“How are the interns?” Jeongyeon asks, attempting a small talk as they share the ride down the ground floor.

“I really haven’t interacted with them that much yet, Chief Yoo,” Mina tells her. “Uhmm, can I ask a question, Chief Yoo?”

Jeongyeon shrugs. “Yeah, sure.”

“What do you look for in people you hire?” Mina asks. “Not that I have a problem or anything. I’m curious that is all.”

Jeongyeon chuckles. “It’s okay. I can see why you’re curious.”

Jeongyeon brings her hand to her chin, rubbing it with her thumb and forefinger. “I really don’t know. I think something about their quirks and uniqueness?”

“Not background and qualification? Abilities perhaps?”

“Mina,” Jeongyeon tells, her hands on Mina’s shoulder. Mina felt a shiver down her spine, doesn’t help that her blouse today is made of too thin a fabric. “Don’t you think I’ve considered that?” She laughs. “Trust me. Our team’s going to be amazing.”

Jeongyeon finally lets her hand fall on her sides. The elevator door opens.

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow, Mina.” Jeongyeon winks.

Mina felt herself blushed at the gesture but rolled her eyes the moment Jeongyeon was out of sight.

“Yeps. Jeongyeon definitely has a crush on me,” Mina says as she shakes the tingly feeling away.

 

 

--

Mina is running late for the first time and so she hurries her way to the building, not wanting Jeongyeon to have a reason to chastise her. It also wouldn’t look good on her record. She reached the building and was able to clock in on-time. She pants but still treads her way to the elevator as fast as she can. Reaching it, she was alarmed to see that it was about to close.

“Wait,” she almost shouted. The person inside, thankfully, kept the door open.

“Mina,” the person greeted. It turns out it was Jeongyeon. Mina covers , trying hard not to pant.

She bowed and greeted her boss before entering. The elevator then closed with only the two of them inside.

“Running late?” Jeongyeon asks and elbowed Mina as though they were friends.

“Kinda.” Mina suddenly felt nervous and even more so when Jeongyeon stood in front of her.

 “You’re sweating a lot, Mina,” Jeongyeon says, wiping Mina’s forehead with her handkerchief.

Mina felt herself shy at the act, unconsciously stopping Jeongyeon’s hand. But now that she and Jeongyeon are sharing an intense contact, Mina wishes she didn’t.

Mina gulps, biting her lower lip to ease the tension she’s feeling.

“Don’t do that,” Jeongyeon tells her.

“D-do what, Chief Yoo?” Mina tries not to breathe, biting her lower lip even more in an attempt to relieve her nervousness, suddenly fully aware of the distance between her and Jeongyeon.

“Biting your lip, don’t do that,” Jeongyeon warns. Mina immediately stopped doing biting her lips and pursed it instead, afraid it would piss Jeongyeon off.

Jeongyeon smirks. “Too late,” she says. “I already want to kiss you.”

Mina wasn’t able to react properly to what Jeongyeon said because Jeongyeon’s already kissing her, Mina’s eyes widen. She felt Jeongyeon snaking her hands on her waist, pulling her closer. Before she knows it, she’s kissing Jeongyeon back.

“Mina,” Jeongyeon says as she pulls away from the kiss, panting, caressing Mina’s face. “I hate to tell you this.” Mina doesn’t know what to expect. Jeongyeon seems sorry. Did she not want the kiss?

“Wake up.”

Mina immediately opened her eyes, sat straight on her bed and held her chest where her heart seems to drum away.

“What the ?!” Mina curses, eyeing her room, making sure that it was indeed a dream. “WHAT THE ?!” Mina says even louder, more to calm herself. “First, crushing on me and now, appearing in my dreams?” Mina sounds really pissed. “Dammit, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

Safe to assume, Mina wasn’t able to sleep that night.

 

--

a/n: honestly, this is probably one of the most poorly written recent fics of mine. huhu. i also don't proofread updates for this and just post it as soon as i'm done so... i'm sorry. huhu. i kinda write this ongoing more like a break from the other oneshots i am writing and especially to amuse myself with the absurd scenarios i can make of office jeongmi. wenk wenk hope you still like it tho. hehe. thanks for waiting! and oh, all of twice are now in the story. yay?

@thisismeshunky on twitter