Coffee

Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee

25th February 2019

I exhale happily as I leave the campus. It’s Orientation week at Seoul Arts Academy, and I am beyond excited.

The campus is huge and knowing me, I will surely get lost there. I bite my lip, trying to stop myself from smiling widely. I’m excited at getting lost on campus. I am that happy to be at SAA.

I look around. Now, I must only find something else. Something which will make my duration at SAA magical.

My eyes light up as I spot it. A coffee shop just across campus, ‘Coffee-holic’.

I make my way to it.

Opening the door, I am hit with the enticing aroma of coffee.

Taking a deep breath, I walk to the counter.

‘Hello!’ I call out.

The barista turns, a wide smile on his face. He is tall and lanky with messy brown hair.

‘Hello! What can I get you today?’ His deep voice surprises me. It’s hard to match his voice with his face.

‘Can I get a chocolate hazelnut latte with almond milk, please?’ I ask him. I adore coffee, but I am unfortunately lactose intolerant.

His face falls a little bit, ‘I’m sorry, we don’t have almond milk. We have full cream, skim milk, soymilk and lactose-free milk.’

I frown in disappointment, ‘Oh then I’ll have it with lactose-free milk then.’

He smiles, ‘Coming right up.’

As he prepares my coffee, I glance around the café, scouting for a spot to sit. I find one empty booth near the window. Perfect.

As he hands me my latte, I pay for it and make my way quickly to the booth.

Setting my stuff down, I prepare myself to take a sip.

Coffee is my lifeline and I am extremely particular about the way I like it. I rarely find any coffee shops which make my latte exactly the way I like it.

I take a sip, swirling the liquid in my mouth and savouring it as I swallow it.

My eyes widen in surprise and delight.

This is by far one of the best chocolate hazelnut lattes I ever had. Even though it’s made with lactose-free milk and not almond milk like I prefer it, it is amazing.

Happily, I finish my coffee and gather my stuff up.

I call out ‘Bye!’ to the barista as I pass by the counter on my way out, knowing that I will be back again.

 

18th March 2019

I sigh tiredly as I push the door to the coffee shop open. It has been an extremely long day. My art assignment is due in one week and my teacher just told me today that he wasn’t at all satisfied with my current progress. I major in Literature and minor in Arts. I am just as determined to get good grades in both.

I make my way to the counter. The usual barista is there, and he greets me with a wide smile.

‘Hi, can I please get a chocolate hazelnut latte with almond milk?’

His tone is apologetic, ‘Sorry, we don’t have almond milk. Is lactose-free milk fine?’

I nod, ‘Yes, it’s fine.’

‘Long day, huh?’ He calls out over his shoulder as he makes my latte.

I manage a smile, ‘That obvious?’

He grins as he accepts my card, ‘Yeah, a bit.’

I sit at my usual booth and pull out my book. I push my glasses up my nose as I turn to the page where I left off and sip my coffee contently.

 

15th April 2019

I started staying at the library after classes. I find that it is much easier to do my work in the quiet library, than at home.

After classes, I make a beeline for the café, intending to pick up my coffee before going to the library.

The barista who usually serves me is there again. He takes my order. I stopped asking for almond milk now, because I know they don’t have it at all, and I feel bad when the barista apologises again and again for not having it.

I pick a chocolate chip muffin to go with it since I won’t get out of the library early.

I pay for my coffee and muffin. I say bye to the barista, who as usual replies with a huge smile, before making my way back to campus.

 

24th May 2019

The door of the coffee shop jingles as I shoulder it open. My hands are currently occupied by my art poster and the current book I am reading. I go to the corner booth which I usually occupy and deposit my stuff on the table before making my way to the counter.

I try not to bounce impatiently as I wait for the barista to take my order. I am a coffee addict and ordering coffee every day is the highlight of my day.

This café makes the best chocolate hazelnut latte, which is my favourite drink.

The barista finally comes to the counter and I beam at him. He is the one who always serves me.

‘One chocolate hazelnut latte with lactose-free milk?’ He asks, a teasing smile on his face.

My smile widens, ‘Yes, please.’

‘Coming right up,’ he says and turns to make my order.

He returns with my coffee moments later and I try to stem my excitement. I had a great morning and I can’t wait to have my coffee.

I hand him my card and he scans it and returns it to me.

‘Enjoy your coffee and have a nice day,’ he says sweetly.

I grin, ‘You, too!’

I make my way to the corner booth and sit down. I take a sip of my coffee and feel the heavenly liquid touch my taste buds.

Wait.

There is something different in my coffee.

I look at my cup, as if it will answer me and take another sip of it.

Then it hits me, and my eyes widen.

This is not lactose-free milk.

It is almond milk. The one I kept asking for all the time.

I finish my coffee in silence, my book forgotten in my surprise.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter