01

Her Royal Highness

Only three more days. There are only three more days until my debutante. Since my father made the announcement to the whole entire empire nearly a month ago, everyone suddenly became busy. Noble families of ladies who haven't had their debut and are at the age too, decided to debut this year, which is in two days. And since I am debuting this year, father decided to hold it at the palace. There are going to be a ton of people this year, I just know it. 

I sigh loudly, laying flat on my bed with my pillow that was behind my head now on top of my face. It's nearly 7:20 A.M and I am already awake. I'm not supposed to wake up for another forty minutes. I can, but I can't, go back to sleep and wake up in forty minutes. However, the noises outside my room are too hard to ignore. The maids, butlers, and other palace staff are running around, trying to make everything perfect. I know they are trying to not wake me up by slowing their footsteps and shutting their mouth when coming near my room, but they failed since I am wide awake. Mind as well get up. 

Just as I am about to get out of the comfort of my bed, my two personal maids, Yeoreum and Luda, comes in. They both have giant grins eating their faces and both of are emitting pale orange hues swirling around them. They're definitely excited. 

 "Princess Aeri, you're up!" Yeoreum chirps. "We were about to get your things ready for the day." Luda walks to my enormous dressing room and starts picking out my gown for today. Yeoreum goes to my bathroom to start running my bathtub for my morning soak. 

"I couldn't go back to sleep with all this noise," I grumble, getting out of my bed then walking to the bathroom with my back hunching slightly. I step in front of my large mirror and sink, getting ready to brush my teeth. I hear Luda swirling her hand around in the water, testing the temperature, making sure it is to my liking. After I finish brushing my teeth, I strip my nightgown off then hop into the tub. I hold my purple hair up so that it won't touch the water. I place it down over the rim of the tub then let Yeoreum brush my hair out. Closing my eyes, I begin to relax, letting my sore muscles soothe out for the day. 

Being the daughter of the empire, I get to have everything and anything I want. At a single call, everyone is at my feet. But it's not like I'm a selfish brat who demands everything like some of the princesses in this empire. I only ask for things that are necessary for me, which there aren't' many since I already have everything. I like to think of myself more sophisticated and regal. I do have a reputation to uphold. 

When I finish my daily soak, I dry myself and wear a robe before heading off to my dressing room, which is next to the bathroom. Luda waits for me next to a simple peach color dress. The dress is very nice and flowy, looking quite comfortable. The skirt isn't too poofy and big. Both sides of the dress have lace sewed into it over a light color of peach. The waistline is sparkling with a diamond belt. The dress is a long sleeve off-the-shoulder with straps to hang on my shoulders. Calm ruffles drape over the neckline with a neat bow with a brooch in the middle of it all. The sleeves are very pretty and loose, giving my arms some freedom yet coverage. 

The girls help me change into my dress. I put on my jewelry, which is only a layered black choker with a small bow tied in front and silver hanging diamond earrings. I sit down at my dressing table, letting them do my hair and make-up as they please. 

I stare at my purple hair, watching Luda curling it. My hair color is quite unusual. But then again, what trait of mine is usual? When I was born, everyone was shocked at the color of my hair. All of my sisters' hairs are either light brown or red, which makes sense because father's hair is light brown while mother is dark red. Imagine their faces when they saw purple hair sprouting out of my head, not near red or brown. They took me to the royal magicians where say said I'm rare, very rare.

I possess mana, which is a magical power that all the gifted males have. Everyone has different mana, the possibilities are endless. In my case, I can see emotions and manipulate them if I want, but that's a high level of mana and I would have to work hard to actually mess with people's emotions. I can see colors of emotions on a person. For example, earlier, Yeoreum and Luda are emitting a pale orange color, indicating that they're excited. Each emotion has its own color or shades of color. A light shade of blue tells me a person is calm while a darker one tells me a person is sad. Or vibrant red shows anger and scarlet red shows sultry and seductiveness. Even though my mana is nothing special, I still have it. It's apparently a big deal for a female to possess mana since there is barely any female who has it. And adding to being the princess of an entire empire, everyone lost their cool. Every boy wants to have this power because it shows that you are great and worthy of being a soldier of the empire. Not only that but it makes you feel powerful and swell with pride. 

"Princess, I heard Prince Jongin Alypius is going to reside in the Emerald Palace for the debutante," Says Yeoreum with twinkling eyes. My irises flash purple. I watch as a cotton candy pink color surrounds her excitedly. I see she fancy the prince of Aenor. 

"Really? Prince Minseok Lunet of Edney is going to reside there too." I too see the same color of pink surround Luda as she tells us. 

Apparently, every the royal kingdoms are sending their eligible bachelor to the debutante. Who am I kidding, every house is. A debutante is also a great place for parents to set their children up. A great time to socialize with one another and love to bloom out of the air. But I don't care about any of that. All I want is to make a new friend. It's quite ironic. I have everything I want, but I can't make a friend. There is this one time I asked for a friend. Father summoned a herd of noble girls to the palace, all to entertain me. That's not friends are all about. I don't want a girl just to entertain me. I want to have a special bond with someone. I don't want friends who are faking it because of my status. I just want friends who like me for who I am and not what I am. Sure I have Yeorum and Luda with me and we are pretty comfortable with each other. However, our ranks prevent us from having that special friend bond, even though I tell them to be free with me. I also have my knight who I have some sort of bond too, but I don't want a friend that personally serve me.

"Do you have a prince in mind, Princess?" Luda asks me as she puts a white flower hairpin in my twisted half-do. Do I have a prince in my mind? No, I don't. Why? Because I don't know who they are personally and what they look like. I only know their names and accomplishments since my tutor says it's necessary to have that knowledge. 

I have never step outside of the palace. I can if I want to, but I just never minded it. I don't go out of meet people, because they all come here. Even if people do come, I most likely don't cross paths with them because this palace is too big for that. So this debutante is the chance to make myself known to the world. 


"Princess! It's an emergency." I hear a frantic man's voice rushing through my ears. Dang it. It's one of the butlers, specifically Jae. I sigh loudly, and my personal knight, Jungkook, glances at me. Here I am, sitting in my beautiful garden, drinking my tea and enjoying a delicious pastry. Until this man comes in an interrupt my peace. 

"Yes, Jae?" I put my tea down on the coaster then turn to the man panting over his knees from his running to get to me. He takes a long moment to recover. He clears his throats then bows. 

"My apologies for interrupting your tea time," his voice is no longer panicky, "but," nevermind, he's starting to hyperventilate in panic, "we need a royal family member to welcome the princes and princesses! The Emperor is already welcoming the Kings and Queen. The Empress is supposed to welcome the princes in place of Princess Jisoo, but she caught a cold and couldn't." He looks at me desperately like I'm his last resort. Gosh dang, mother.

"And what about my other sisters?" I ask. 

"Princess Jennie and Princess Lisa are helping with the debutante preparations. Princess Rose agree to welcome to princesses. But we need someone to welcome the princes. Please, Princess Aeri. Will you welcome them?!" At this point, he's on his knees begging and looking like he's about to cry. 

I glance at Jungkook, who only quirks an eyebrow at me. I really don't want to do it. But if I don't, Jae will probably burst into dust and blow away in agony. And, father will probably kill me. Really, Jisoo? Why do you have to go out to the city now? 

"Fine, fine. I'll do it," I wave my hand nonchalantly at the butler. Instantly, he perks up in delight, eyes sparkling with gratefulness and vibrant orange dancing around him. Well isn't he eager. 

"Thank you, Princess! You are the best princess this empire has to offer," Jae praises me. Yeah, yeah, whatever. You're being dramatic. 

I take my fork and break off a piece of my cake before putting it in my mouth. I glance at Jae who is just standing there expectantly. I thought he left. He stares at me like he's waiting. 

"Um, you can go now," I tell him, not sure if he's waiting for me to dismiss him. He blinks at me confusingly. 

"Princess, the princes will be here in ten minutes." My eyes almost pop out of my socket in surprise, and I choke on my cake. Jungkook and Jae panic as they pat my back to unclog my pipes. 

"What?! Ten minutes and you tell me now?!" I screech. Jungkook grimaces unpleasantly. 

Jae jumps back, frightened of my sudden outburst. "I'm sorry, my Princess, but it's very urgent." He squeaks. 

"Ughhhhh," I groan in annoyance. I get up anyway and walk back inside with Jae and Jungkook following from behind, leaving my unfinished tea and cake. 


I stand at the palace entrance outside. Dang, it's hot. The sun is angrily radiating its heat down me as if its wanting attention. And I am not the type of person who enjoys scorching hot weather, especially if I'm not in the right attire for it. The maids and butlers line up on each side, waiting to greet the princes and princess. The kings and queens have already arrived earlier today so I don't need to face them. My sister and the third princess, Rose, is standing next to me. Unlike me, she loves the summer. Rose has red hair, just like my mother; very pretty. She's the gentlest sister out of them all. Being nice, gentle, sweet, and any other positive words to describe her, she has many suitors kneeling down at her feet. 

"Rose, can't you welcome the princes too?" I whisper next to her. 

"Are you kidding me? I am not going to handle that many people," she whispers back. I grumble at her, which she pays no mind to. Sure she's sweet, but sometimes, she torments her little sister. 

Then, we see not one, two, or three, but ten carriages coming through the gates. What the heck. Did they all just plan to come together at the same time? Well, it's too late to back out now. 

I can't deny that curiosity is consuming me. I wonder what they all look like. I'm sure they are very pretty and adorn with luxurious items that show off their wealth and pride. Some of the princesses coming today are even going to be debuting as well. Maybe, I'll make friends with them. I wonder what their personalities are like. They are on the same status so there won't be any fakeness going around, at least that what I hope. Even if I'm not the one welcoming them, I would have still snoop around and spied on them with Jungkook by my side. 

The door of the carriages open, revealing the princes and princesses. The princes go out first and help their sister to get out. And wow are they beautiful, not only the princesses but princes. They all have colors of orange and yellow surrounding them; happiness and enthusiasm. They all dart their eyes around, drinking in the palace's exterior in amazement. That is completely understandable since they never been here before. 

"Wow," my sister mutters, "I never seen so much royalty in one place." I nod in agreement. Both of us starting to get overwhelmed by the high status and radiating pride. 

The princesses curtsy while the princes give a thirty-degree bow with a hand over their heart. Both Rose and I do the same, greeting them back. 

"Welcome. I am Princess Rose Elysia of the Eden Empire and this is my sister, Princess Aeri Elysia. It is nice to meet you all." Rose says in the gentlest and most welcome voice she has. They all introduce themselves and states their kingdom. Now I finally know what they all look like. 


Gosh, I really hate myself. I am left alone with the princes, nine princes to be exact. I'm supposed to be giving them a tour but I honestly don't know how to start it. I give Jungkook a nervous glance, hoping he'll sense my distress and help me. 

"They're waiting, you know," Jungkook whispers in my ear. 

"I know that," I snap, glaring at him. 

He sighs, "Just start with the garden." I beam up a smile at him, silently thanking him. I turn around to the princes, but then suddenly blush due to all of them having their eyes on me. 

"Let's go to the garden. We'll start there first." I turn back around to lead them outside to my personal garden that I am very, very proud of. 

I can't help but keep on stealing secret glances at them. They're all too beautiful that it's too much for me. If I didn't study who they are beforehand, it would be hard for me to keep up with them. I can see all of their family crests on their clothes, some even have it on the handle of their sword, making it even easier to identify them. I am one hundred percent positive that they have their own mana, and I wonder what they are. 

First, there is Minseok Lunet of Edney. He's the oldest out of all of them, making him the most experienced and wisest. I hear he's a good negotiator and strong with the sword. Next is Joonmyeon Elota of Latona. Out of all of them, he is most likely to be king first. A great leader with handsome facial features. Prince Jongdae Elvene of Everild has a very good singing voice, or so I hear. He's kind looking and is amazed at everything his eyes set on. Baekhyun Elene of Roese is known for his appearance of a rabbit. He's a great swordsman, judging by all the battles he won. Yixing Milu of Laua is a man from the eastern side of the empire. His kingdom joined our empire not too long ago when they liberated from our tyrant next-door empire. He looks very gentle, but also kinda air-headed. Sehun Amycia of Laida is probably one of the most handsome men I have ever seen, not that the other princes aren't handsome. He's a man of a few words and his presence just screams royalty. Jongin Alypius of Aenor is quite shy looking. I heard rumors from the girls that the duality of him is quite unbelievable. Apparently, he has a puppy side and devil side (whatever that means). Next is Chanyeol Athela of Avelyn. He is very strong and fast with wielding a sword, it's almost like he is born to hold one. He is also that tallest out of all of them. He could literally step on me if he wanted to. And lastly, Kyungsoo Rosolen of Adelina. He is very graceful and observant. He darts his eyes everywhere and tries to unveil secrets with them. He is pretty popular with scholars due to his love of reading and writing books. 

We reach to my garden. Funny how I literally just met these princes ten minutes ago and already I'm letting them see my personal space. 

"This is my garden," I turn around to tell them, "my sisters have their own garden too but they don't really spend much time there. I spent so much time and effort to make it the most beautiful garden that has ever existed. Unlike my sister, I spend fifty percent of my day here if I'm not busy." I smile, admiring my pretty flowers and trees. 

"It's very beautiful, Princess," Yixing compliments, showing off his dimples to me. Wow, he's cute. 

"Do you grow these yourself?" Joonmyeon asks as he touches the petals of my pink roses. 

I shake my head, "No, but I picked out the flower I wanted and design the whole garden. I didn't do the hard stuff. Mother wouldn't let me since it's "not elegant to have dirt on your hands"." I quote my mother's words with my fingers while rolling my eyes. Some of them chuckle at my expression. I feel the tension and awkwardness between us are being replaced with delight and comfort. I turn to Jungkook, who is just behind me. He gives me a thumbs up and I return him a proud smile. 

I watch them talking to one another while walking around the garden, admiring the plants. I flash my irises purple, just to see they are having a good time. There are light blue, orange, and yellow swimming around them, except for Jongin. I notice he has two shades of pink dancing around him; blush pink and rosy pink. If I can remember, blush pink is when a person is embarrassed and rosy pink is when a person is attracted to another person. So what is he embarrassed about? Who is he attracted to? I continue to stare at him, my mind going into thought that I don't comprehend him staring at me too. 

Jungkook nudges my side, breaking me out of my thought to notice Jongin walking to me. I stiffen, growing nervous at the sight of a beautiful man coming to me. 

"Hello, Princess," he bows, "I am Jongin Alypius of Aenor." 

"Y-You don't need to reintroduce yourself. I know who you are," I blink at him, completely smite by his good looks. He flashes me a smile. Oh gosh, he's even more beautiful. There is this twinkle in his eyes as he looks at me. 

"May I ask you a question?" His voice is deep, husky, yet bright. I nod, giving him my permission, even though he doesn't need it. 

"Have you decided who your first dance is going to be with?" And just like that, as if everyone heard what Jongin said, they all turn to me, anticipating my answer.