[FINAL]

Split Second

 

I dunno, I was supposed to trash this story because I don't think it's that good, but here you go anyway. ._.


 

“Excuse me, is Yerin-unnie here?”

 

Sinb was at it again, same time, same place and the residents of the classroom were already familiar with her visits. Furthermore, she always asked the same thing.

 

“I’m pretty sure I saw her leave with Hayoung-ssi a few minutes ago.”

 

“Ah…” Sinb held back a sigh as she forced a smile before bowing her head in thanks and leaving the place altogether.

 

Why was she always a split second late? She had tried so hard to run as fast as she could from her classroom to Yerin’s, just to get there in time before the senior left but she was always beat by the others. Usually by the other seniors.

 

She just wanted to hang out with Yerin. Why was it so difficult?

 

Everytime she saw the woman, she would always be with someone else. It didn’t help that recently Yerin gained such a big list of ‘friends’ all eager to get a chance to spend time with the ball of sunshine.

 

Sinb couldn’t blame them. Being with Yerin was a blast. She’s just so energetic and radiated such a happy aura that it was infectious to those within proximity.

 

There was already a saying in their school: Looking for Yerin? Follow the ray of sunshine.

 

However, Sinb didn’t like some of the people around her. They were just eager to get her attention because she was popular, a model student with a pleasing personality, many of them would do anything to be included in her circle of friends.

 

“Based from that kicked puppy look on your face, you didn’t see Yerin-unnie again today?” she looked up to see her bestfriend and classmate Yewon standing before her, looking amused.

 

Sinb frowned, “I wasn’t looking for her.”

 

“Sure you weren’t.” Yewon hummed, walking past her, “Come on, I’ll go treat you to ice cream”

 

The slightly older freshman visibly softened at that, “You’re the bestest friend I ever have, you know that?”

 

Yewon rolled her eyes slightly, “I’m your only best friend.”

 

---

 

It was a wonder why Sinb would go through lengths to get even just one minute of Yerin’s time. Those around her even thought she was Yerin’s admirer if it wasn’t for the fact that they were close friends.

 

Contrasting to Yerin’s personality, Sinb was one they found difficult to approach, more so communicate with, but she was just as popular as the senior. No one really understood why Sinb did what she did, rushing to Yerin’s classroom as soon as the bell rang, asking the same question and leaving when the senior was nowhere to be found.

 

She was misunderstood because of it, rumors went around that the freshman liked Yerin, but it was never confirmed. For a few days, it became the gossip amongst the students but time passed, it just became normal to the point they really didn’t care anymore.

 

Which was all good for Sinb since she didn’t want to bother with the stares and the questions any longer.

 

But why is she really doing it?

 

No one really knew except for her group of friends.

 

For one, Sinb has been doing her best to get Yerin away from those people. She sincerely believes that they’re all being friendly just for her popularity and would most likely hurt her if things get bad.

 

They won’t stick with Yerin like they do. They won’t be there when she needs them.

 

Those ‘friends’ Yerin has been spending her time with are just using her and Sinb wants to get her away from that.

 

And the second reason? She just misses her a lot.

 

“Too late?” Sojung looked up as Sinb approached, the frown on her face a clear evidence that she failed yet again.

 

The freshman sat down, almost slamming her bag on the table in pure annoyance, “She’s with that Seolhee this time.”

 

Eunha visibly gasped at this, speaking out her disbelief, “No.”

 

Sinb’s frown deepened if it was possible, “Yes.”

 

“Yerin-unnie really needs to choose who she interacts with more wisely.” Yewon shook her head in disapproval, “If that woman is up to no good again, unnie might get in trouble.”

 

“Not ‘might’, she really will get in trouble.” Yuna remarked worriedly, “Hasn’t she even heard of what Seolhee-sunbae’s done just for this semester?”

 

Sinb has been doing her best to make her hang out with them again. They’ve been a close group of friends even before Yerin and Sojung stepped foot in high school. But things changed when Yerin decided to help some of her classmates out and set off a chain reaction that prompted all the others to try and befriend her.

 

They all knew it wasn’t her fault. It’s just Yerin is too much of a kind soul to refuse any favors. Or perhaps there’s just something going on with the seniors that they don’t know. Information was slightly restricted. It was quite difficult to get the accurate story with how the rumor mills in the school worked.

 

Sojung had been blaming herself for it, being in the same year as the woman. If only they were in the same class, she would have kept all of this from happening.

 

And now it has escalated to this. Yoon Seolhee, she is also very well-known in the school but for all the bad reasons.

 

Because she is the daughter of one of the Board of Directors of the private school they are admitted in, all of the trouble she’s caused have been swept under the rug and ignored by the vast majority. But the rumors were there. They weren’t even rumors anymore, not with proofs popping up left and right.

 

“Shouldn’t we follow them and make sure nothing happens to Yerin-unnie?”

 

“They were gone when I got there and no one’s seen where they went.” Sinb mumbled, “But wherever it is, I’m sure it’s not a good place.”

 

“We’ll just have to trust Yennie to avoid any trouble that horned woman might put her in.” Sojung remarked, standing up from her seat, “Let’s just go and walk around, we might see them on the way.”

 

“If we do, can we just take her with us?” Sinb asked.

 

“Kidnap her?” Eunha stared.

 

“If you need anything to tie her up, I have zip ties at home.” Yuna pitched in.

 

“NOT LIKE THAT, WHY WOULD I EVEN DO THAT?”

 

Yuna shrugged, “I was just suggesting.”

 

“I don’t think she’ll like it if we do that.” Sojung scratched her head, trying to hold back a sigh at how childish her friends were acting again, “Let’s stop by the drugstore on the way, you guys are giving me a headache again.”

 

“You look so tired unnie, maybe you should just go home and rest.” Yewon said as she looked over.

 

“That’s just her being old.”

 

Sinb dodged just in time before Sojung managed to grab her, letting out a loud laugh as the older one chased her around. Yewon chuckled, her worry for her unnie set aside. Leave it to Sinb to cheer her up in a second.

 

But Yewon knew despite that big grin on Sinb’s face at the moment, she was just as worried for Yerin as they were.

 

---

 

“Okay, I already have that face memorized by now. Who was she with this time?” Eunha asked as she, Sinb, and Yuna walked through the hallways of the school heading for the gate entrance. Their classes were done for the day and as per usual, Sinb rushed to Yerin’s classroom but failed to see the senior there. Again.

 

“No one.”

 

“No one?” Yuna repeated, brows raised in surprise. There’s no way Yerin would leave without at least one person by her side.

 

“I asked the seniors about it and they said that as soon as the bell rang, she bolted up and left.” Sinb grumbled, “They said she’s avoiding that Seolhee, I swear to god if that maggot did something to her, I will send her careening off the edge of a cliff with a raging sea behind her filled with hungry sharks and no one will ever know what happened.”

 

Eunha blinked, “That is… creepily graphic and specific, but how did you know that? Those seniors don’t just talk about that to the lowerclassmen.”

 

It was something about not tarnishing the seniors reputation of some sort, even if most of their reputation has long been tarnished since the beginning of the school year.

 

“I may or may not have pushed the guy for answers…”

 

“Sinb.”

 

“He was withholding information!”

 

“It’s cute how Sinb’s doing everything for Yerin-unnie.” Yuna laughed seeing how the younger looked away probably in embarassment.

 

No one would go through all the effort if there wasn’t something there. Her friends knew it, but chose to keep quiet about it and watch from afar.

 

“So any idea where Yerin-unnie is right now?” Sinb quickly changed the topic. She was not going to be a target of embarassment by her friends.

 

“Hello little people,” Sojung suddenly joined them, placing an arm around Eunha’s shoulders.

 

“Please don’t touch me when you say little people.”

 

“Hi skyscraper.” Sinb greeted, “Any news on Yerin-unnie?”

 

“Your Yennie–”

 

“MY Yennie?”

 

“Shush. Anyway, she messaged me saying that she went straight to the dorms for some needed rest and relaxation and cannot hang out with us for today.” Sojung reported, “Not like she has done so for the past week.”

 

“Don’t be so hard on her, she’s just too nice to refuse anyone.” Yuna pouted.

 

Sojung just hummed. She doubts that it was the real reason that she won’t go anywhere with them recently. She’s a senior too, and it wasn’t that hard to monitor her friend’s movements.

 

Yerin was definitely accompanying all those seniors to avoid someone and Sojung needed to know who. If Yerin was being harrassed or is in deep trouble, she wanted to help her out no matter what it was. Despite being a social butterfly, Yerin kept to herself most of the time, especially if she had problems she didn’t want to trouble anyone with.

 

“As long as she’s not with those people, then it’s okay.” Sinb said, but it was obvious she was slightly disheartened Yerin couldn’t join them again today. It’s already been a week since she last talked properly with the woman. Saying that she missed Yerin was a serious understatement of how she felt.

 

It felt like something was missing, to sum it up nicely.

 

Sure they shared messages once in a while, but recently they’ve been getting shorter and more brief, like Yerin didn’t want to talk to her at all. She doesn’t even want to get started on the number of phone calls that were left unanswered.

 

Was Sinb being too much of a bother? She was just worried, which is why she’s checking on her everytime but perhaps Yerin is getting annoyed by it and just didn’t have the heart to say it to her so she opted to ignore her instead.

 

Is that what’s going on here? If so then Sinb should be apologizing, right?

 

“Sinb? Sinb!”

 

Said person jumped at the volume of Yewon’s voice, surprising her slightly. When did she arrive?

 

“You’re here?”

 

“I’ve been here 5 minutes ago while you were off in that small bubble of yours.” her same aged bestfriend remarked while the others just chuckled, “We’re going to the amusement park this weekend, are you coming with?”

 

“I will never say no to that,” Sinb replied excitedly, “Is everyone coming?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Even your Yennie.”

 

“Again, Sojung, she’s n–”

 

“Wait, wait, where’s the ‘unnie’ in there?”

 

“Well Sojung-UNNIE,” Sinb quoted with her fingers, “She’s not my Yennie. Why do you keep saying that?”

 

The girls looked at each other, causing the woman to feel suspicious of their actions. Was there something going on that she should know about?

 

“Figure it out. Why do you think we keep saying that?” Sojung shrugged.

 

“Sinb, I love you, but you’re so dumb sometimes.” Eunha stared.

 

“Yeah, it’s obvious what’s going on.” Yuna remarked.

 

“I feel like I just got insulted way more than I deserve.” Sinb mumbled, irked at how there was some sort of mutual understanding going on between her friends and she was the only one who doesn’t get it.

 

Yewon pat her shoulder in reassurance, “You’ll get it.”

 

“Can’t you just tell me?”

 

Yewon gasped rather dramatically, Sinb had to roll her eyes at that, “Of course not. That’s taking the fun away.”

 

“Taking the wh–?”

 

Sojung swung her arm around the younger woman before she could finish her words, “Enough of that. Our mission for now is to try that new cafe that opened just across the street, last one there pays.”

 

Yuna bolted forward without even waiting for the signal.

 

“Awe… You know there’s no way we can catch up to Yuna-unnie.” Yewon pouted, staring at the retreating figure already a distance away.

 

“Yeah, and that’s a problem.” Eunha sighed.

 

“She’ll get lost.” Sinb mumbled in a dead tone.

 

“Exactly.”

 

Sojung sighed, “Come on, let’s go grab Yuna first before she finds herself in another country, then we can go.”

 

---

 

“That Seolhee did WHAT?” Sinb looked up from her notes after hearing what Eunha had just informed them.

 

They were currently gathered in the open yard in the school where tables and chairs were placed. It was a common spot for students to hang out after school, and right now, the group was spending time doing their homework so they could use their weekends freely.

 

“Chill. I said Seolhee-sunbae TRIED, but Yerin-unnie has too much of a good reputation for anyone to believe she would do such a thing.” Eunha waved it off.

 

Sinb snarled, “It won’t stop her from trying again though.”

 

Yuna and Eunha had just arrived after their class was dismissed and managed to talk to some seniors who knew about their friendship with Yerin. There were seniors who were really concerned for her and told them Seolhee had tried to spread some rumor about Yerin flirting with her boyfriend, trying to steal him from her, but luckily no one really believed her.

 

They knew Yerin was a flirty kind of friendly, slightly touchy, it wasn’t that hard to believe. But with her boyfriend? Boy? Friend? Seolhee perhaps didn’t know Yerin would never flirt with any guy. If she said girlfriend, then maybe a few of them would have actually believed her words, even for just a moment.

 

Either way, the seniors promised to update them if Seolhee attempts something again to which they were thankful for.

 

Now if only Yerin actually joined them again for once.

 

“And how is Yerin-unnie taking this? Is she okay?” Yewon asked worriedly, earning a shrug from the two.

 

“I don’t think the rumor managed to spread far because it wasn’t worth it. Instead, it backfired on Seolhee-sunbae, all the seniors are talking about right now is her being jealous of Yerin-unnie’s reputation.” Yuna explained, “As for where she is, we don’t really know…”

 

“She’s out with Joy and Hayoung-sunbaenim this time.” Sinb explained.

 

Eunha whined slightly, slumping against Sojung’s side as she squirmed, “Sojung-unnie, can’t you do something about Yerin-unnie? She’s your roommate~!”

 

“You know, if she doesn’t want to we can’t really force her.” Sojung just told them, “And besides, she’s joining us this weekend.”

 

The others fell silent, seeing that she had a point with her words and Yerin most likely felt suffocated by the attention she was getting. Joy and Hayoung were her classmates and close friends besides them, they probably sensed her distress as well and got her out of the school before any of the others tried.

 

Eunha pouted, “I just miss her a lot…”

 

“Me too.” Yewon mumbled, remembering how dynamic the group is when she was present. Her and Yuna would usually joke around and bring laughs to the group with their antics. They just weren’t used to not having their ginseng by their side.

 

The thought that they would finally see her this weekend was a huge mood booster, and soon enough, they fell into an easy conversation on what their itinerary would be, Sojung disagreeing to the extreme rides that Sinb wanted to go on. The last thing they wanted was to leave the park with half their souls intact.

 

Yuna suggested sleeping over at Eunha’s place since it was closer to the amusement park so they didn’t have to travel all the way back to the dorms tired from the day’s activities.

 

“And we can tell scary stories!” Yuna added.

 

“No!”

 

---

 

Sinb was really sure this time that she had done something wrong.

 

Yerin had arrived at the meetup place as scheduled, almost 10 minutes earlier than the rest and almost knocked down the girls with a hug when they finally arrived. It was obvious how much she missed them with how loud her voice was as she excitedly talked with all of them.

 

They all received hugs from her, of course, it was Jung Yerin after all. But Sinb felt something off when it was her turn. Yerin’s hug for her felt almost… forced, if not tense, and there was a brief moment’s hesitation that she barely noticed if not for the fact that Yerin wouldn’t look her in the eye the entire time.

 

It went unnoticed by the others since she would answer Sinb’s questions like normal, laugh with her like normal, even walk by her side like normal but it stops there.

 

Sinb was so used to having Yerin hugging her arm as they walked, even leaning her head against her shoulder at times but her unnie didn’t. She wouldn’t even touch her, or hold her hand and she was getting sulky because of it.

 

She missed Yerin’s affectionate gestures.

 

And the only reason she could think of as to why there was some sort of wall blocking the both of them was because she might have done something wrong. She doesn’t know what it is, but she will find out.

 

“You’ve got that face on again.” Yewon remarked as they took a quick break from roaming around. They’ve already finished a fourth of their itinerary and they decided to grab something to eat before proceeding. Sojung and Yerin went ahead to get their food while Yuna and Eunha headed to the ladies for a bit, leaving the two maknaes to save them a table.

 

“What face?”

 

“That face you’ve been making all week. When you miss Yerin-unnie.”

 

Sinb stared at her incredulously, “I don’t make a face like that.”

 

“Yes you do. Ah.” Yewon raised a hand to keep her same age friend from speaking any more, “Stop denying it. What’s the problem this time?”

 

Sinb pouted slightly, before acquiescing to her bestfriend’s stare, mumbling in a small voice, “Yerin-unnie hasn’t been clingy with me today.”

 

Yewon’s brows furrowed, barely catching onto Sinb’s words, “What?”

 

Sinb’s face scrunched up in displeasure before she started whining, like how a child acts when she doesn’t get what she wants, “Yerin-unnie hasn’t been touchy with me today~!”

 

Yewon just stared at Sinb with a blank look on her face bordering disbelief at seeing her bestfriend acting this way. Hwang Eunbi, famous for her cold appearance, whining like a child because she wasn’t getting any warm hugs from her favorite unnie. This was certainly a first.

 

“Are you really the Sinb I know because–”

 

“We haven’t even held hands today.”

 

“What?”

 

“Her replies are always so short.”

 

“Sinb, listen–”

 

“She won’t even look me in the eye.”

 

“Hwang Eunbi–”

 

“She’s so cold towards me Yewon-ah~”

 

“You’re probably overth–”

 

“She won’t even smile at me like she used to!”

 

“Wh–”

 

“Her smiles are always so pretty…”

 

Yewon clamped a hand on Sinb’s mouth, “Sinb, I swear to god if you interrupt me one more time I’m shoving this sandwich up your mouth to shut you up.”

 

Sinb removed Yewon’s hand, pouting slightly, “So violent.”

 

Yewon just sighed, “So in short you just miss Yerin-unnie’s hugs and kisses?”

 

Sinb just nodded timidly still with that kicked puppy look on her face that gets Yewon wondering what she’s being cute and soft for. Not to mention her being completely honest with her answer was making her head go haywire.

 

Sinb was a person who was rarely honest with her feelings. A tsundere, to sum it up perfectly. If she was this honest to her, it just means that she’s really desperate.

 

“Do you like Yerin-unnie?” Yewon finally asked. If she wanted to get some answers, she might as well get them now so she could help her bestfriend out.

 

Sinb felt herself get flustered at the question, “I don’t–”

 

“Don’t give me that Eunbi. All of us know there’s something there and you just won’t admit it.” she sighed again, “I’m your bestfriend, I won’t tell anyone, but if you want me to help you I have to know.”

 

“You’ll help me?”

 

“Of course I will. If you ask me, you and Yerin-unnie would look great together.”

 

“Really?”

 

Yewon is being treated to the sight of a cute Sinb looking hopeful and shy and that was not something she sees everyday so she might as well make use of this opportunity to see that side of Sinb more.

 

“Trust me on this, I wouldn’t want Yerin-unnie to end up with anyone else but you. I mean,” she paused slightly, pretending to find the right words to say but in fact she was just enjoying how attentive Sinb looked as she listened. Kind of like how a cat looks ready to pounce at a laser light on the floor.

 

Trying her best not to laugh, she continued, “I can see how much you care for her, I know about the number of times you secretly helped her out when you thought no one was looking. Point is, I know you’ll take good care of Yerin-unnie. It’s already obvious, but I might as well make sure. Do you like her?”

 

Sinb scratched the back of her neck, clearly uncomfortable at the same time slightly embarrassed but she went ahead and nodded her head, “Maybe just a little…?”

 

“That’s more than enough for me.” Yewon clapped her hands together once while grinning.

 

“Yewon, have you been listening to me?” Sinb grumbled, “She’s clearly avoiding me like a plague! I probably did something wrong.”

 

Sinb sighed loudly, slumping against the table and burying her head under her arms as she continued to grumble to herself while thinking of the numerous possible reasons why Yerin’s acting the way she is towards her.

 

“Was I too persistent heading over to her class everyday?” Sinb asked out loud, “Or maybe she just doesn’t like me in general?”

 

“I doubt that Sinb. But if you really want to know, why not ask her yourself?”

 

“You think she’ll say anything?”

 

“I… guess not.” Yewon hummed, watching in slight pity as her friend went back to grumbling at the same time the two unnies finally arrived with their food.

 

“The line was a beast.” Sojung plopped down tiredly on her seat before noticing Sinb’s current state, “Sinb? What’s with you?”

 

“It’s nothing. I’m fine.”

 

“You don’t seem fine to me, what wrong?” she insisted. She was just energetic a few minutes ago, there’s no way she was already tired.

 

Sinb raised her head a bit, her chin resting on her arm which was laid flat against the table before staring, “I’m just thinking in a few years I’m going to be your age Sojung-unnie, and I’m thinking of going on all the extreme rides before I completely say goodbye to my youth.” she let out a dramatic sigh, “Time flies by so fast…”

 

“You’re just really asking for a fight, aren’t you?”

 

“I can take you on anytime giraffe-unnie.”

 

“You come here you brat–”

 

---

 

The group had just arrived at the carousel, Yewon watching in slight amusement as Sinb gazed at Yerin’s figure with longing if the pout on her face was anything to go by. Yewon did notice how Yerin was acting towards her bestfriend now that she had an idea on what was going on. If only she noticed earlier…

 

Placing both hands on Sinb’s back, she gave the taller woman a small shove towards the direction Yerin was going, earning a surprised yelp from her.

 

“Go and take the seat beside her!” Yewon urged, stopping Sinb from saying anything, “Go! Hurry!”

 

“But–”

 

“Just go Sinb.”

 

“But Yerin-unnie doesn’t- you know what, fine.” Sinb went ahead and briskly made her way to where her unnie went and saw her already choosing which seat to take. Steeling herself, she followed, eyes locked on the seat beside her.

 

Yewon is actually right, she would never find out what the matter was if she didn’t ask Yerin directly.

 

Just a few steps away from the horse-shaped seat, her hand already touching the saddle, she was ready to mount it and finally take her seat on it but Yuna came along and took the seat a split second faster.

 

“Oh, Sinb were you going to sit here?” Yuna asked, noticing her frozen in place, staring blankly at the horse and trying her best to hold back a sigh.

 

Sinb looked up at her, forced a smile that hurt her cheeks before waving a hand dismissively, “No~ It’s okay~ You can sit there~”

 

“Are you sure? I can go sit with Yewon…”

 

“It’s fine, it’s fine.” Sinb chuckled, still smiling but deep inside her heart was already crying up a river.

 

“If you say so.”

 

Losing the smile, Sinb walked back to where Yewon was, roughly rode the horse beside her and pressed her cheek against the pole looking blankly at the space in front of her. If Yewon didn’t know better, Sinb looked like her soul was just out of her.

 

“I’m really amazed at your luck sometimes.” Yewon remarked, “You’re late by a split second again.”

 

“Don’t remind me anymore. I’m so hopeless…”

 

“Yes you are.”

 

“You’re not supposed to be agreeing with me Yewon-ah~!”

 

---

 

Because of Yerin’s fear of heights, she didn’t accompany the others on some of the rides that they went to. Although Sinb wanted nothing more than to keep Yerin company, she already had Yuna accompanying her since they both shared the same fear.

 

It just meant she had no excuse to stay with Yerin.

 

Not to mention everyone would think it would be weird for her, the one who liked extreme rides the most, to sit out on them.

 

Honestly, Sinb didn’t care. She loved being on rides that gave her the thrill of adventure, of danger and everything in between, but nothing beat the feeling of having Yerin with her. Everything, even just sitting beside her and doing nothing, was more fun than going 360 on a roller coaster.

 

Which happened by the way, so when they got off the ride, Sinb’s hair was sticking up in all random places and she was struggling slightly as she combed it back, trying to fix up some strands that got entangled in the process.

 

Brows furrowed as she focused on a particularly large chunk of hair she had brought over to the front of her face, she failed to notice the figure approaching her. It was only when she felt soft hands holding hers apart, stopping her from further tangling the strands of her hair. Those hands then went ahead to take care of the mess, but at that point, Sinb wasn’t thinking of her hair, she wasn’t thinking of anything else at all.

 

Except that touch. She’d know that touch anywhere. After all, she’s been missing it for the entire week already, so she could not be mistaken.

 

Sinb was almost scared to look up, but she wanted to make sure she wasn’t dreaming it all up. And when she did, she almost forgot how to breathe entirely.

 

Yerin’s face was just a few inches from hers. Though her gaze wasn’t on hers directly and was on the tangled mess she was trying to smooth out, the fact was she was within reach. Sinb could extend out her arm just a bit and she would be able to hold her hand. She desperately wanted to, but her body wasn’t cooperating. Her mind was in a frenzy, she basically couldn’t tell left from right. If anyone told her to walk, she’d probably be doing handstands instead.

 

Was this the effect of not having any form of contact with Yerin for a week? Did she have it THAT bad? It was crazy.

 

“There.”

 

SHE TALKED–

 

“You should bring a hair tie with you next time.” Yerin told her as she combed back her hair for her and once she was satisfied, she pat Sinb’s shoulders once, smiling slightly, before walking off to join the other unnies.

 

She was still frozen in place, trying to wrap her head around what just happened. Or if it did really happen. Her thoughts being interrupted by Yewon placing a hand on her chest that she turned to her bestfriend, asking her what she was doing.

 

“Just making sure your heart is still beating and you’re still alive and if I need to call an ambulance for you.” Yewon answered in an amused tone as she watched Sinb gasp slightly, eyes wide and pointing towards where Yerin walked off to.

 

“That really happened?” Sinb asked excitedly.

 

“Yep.”

 

Sinb felt a full blown grin tug at her lips, her cheeks almost hurting because of it, but it was the only way she could express her happiness without looking crazy though at that moment, she didn’t really care.

 

“Are you sure I still have a heartbeat?” Sinb pat around her chest to make sure, earning an eye roll from her bestfriend.

 

“I don’t even need to check when you’ve got hearts beating out of your eyes already.” Yewon chuckled, “Come on you lovesick puppy, we better catch up to them.”

 

---

 

Yerin opened her eyes an hour after everything had gone silent. She couldn’t sleep despite the busy day she enjoyed her time with her friends. Her mind just wouldn’t give her some peace.

 

She had to admit, she really missed all of them. Hanging out with her same age friends, Hayoung and Joy, was one thing, but it never beats being with the five girls she’s spent most of her life with for the past years. They had their differences, that’s for sure, but it was those differences that made everyday fun and she couldn’t help but admit that she missed all of that for the past week that she chose to not be with them.

 

That’s right. It was her decision. A decision she regrets now that she thinks about it.

 

They were currently sleeping over at Eunha’s place, the surroundings already eerily quiet which was a stark contrast to the rowdy atmosphere they cooked up just a few hours ago. They finally decided to call it a day a few hours past midnight and now everyone was asleep in the living room, limbs sprawled all over each other in an attempt to find a comfortable sleeping position. Everyone but her, at least.

 

Letting out a small sigh, she sat up, taking care not to wake Yewon and Eunha who were beside her and silently made her way to the kitchen. Perhaps some warm milk would make her fall asleep easier.

 

She then sat on one of the chairs, hands wrapped around the mug as she took in its warmth. The silence was a nice change, it gave her time to think about a lot of things. But she knew it basically revolved around just one person…

 

“Can’t sleep?”

 

Yerin felt her heart jump out of her chest at the sudden voice that spoke, interrupting the silence. Looking up to see Sojung taking the seat in front of her, she let out a shaky breath, trying her best to calm down her raging heartbeat. Not her fault she gets surprised so easily.

 

“I swear to god, unnie, you gave me a heart attack.” Yerin huffed, glaring at the older woman who apologized, but only half-heartedly, “I’m serious. If you scare me like that again, I’m telling Eunha you have a crush on her.”

 

“You wouldn’t.” Sojung gasped.

 

“Try me.” Yerin challenged.

 

And after just a minute, Sojung was the first one to give in, a smile tugging up the corners of her lips which turned to be contagious as Yerin found herself laughing at the situation as well.

 

“You won’t though, right?”

 

“Unnie, if I did, I’ll be helping you out in getting a lovelife faster than I will. So I won’t.” she stuck out her tongue playfully before focusing back on her milk.

 

Sojung just shook her head, “Speaking of crushes, Yerin-ah. What happened to your genius plan all of a sudden?”

 

She groaned, “No, don’t start with that…”

 

“It didn’t work out so well did it?” the older chuckled, “I told you it was a bad idea.”

 

“I know, I know, I just thought it would work, but that obviously came back to bite me.” Yerin sighed, “I’m so stupid.”

 

“No, you’re not.”

 

Yerin didn’t believe that but didn’t say anything.

 

“So what made you change your mind?” Sojung asked, leaning back slightly in her seat as she stared at the woman in front of her.

 

“I don’t know.” she shrugged, leaning back as well, “Just… I just saw her and realized I just couldn’t do it anymore, I couldn’t avoid her anymore. It just wasn’t fair to her when she didn’t do anything wrong so I thought I had to stop.”

 

“I’m glad you did, Sinb’s been going the extra mile just to get to see you again. If you continued on with this, I would have called you a coward.”

 

“Maybe I am one?”

 

“Not really, you’re just scared. I understand.” Sojung smiled wistfully, her gaze going over to the living room where the others were, “I get scared too, when it comes to Eunha, I mean. What if she finds out and decides it’s not a good idea for us to be friends anymore? I wouldn’t be able to take that.”

 

“Yeah… she would definitely not want to be just friends with you if she finds out.” Yerin mumbled under her breath.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Nothing. You don’t have to worry about anything unnie, you'll be fine.”

 

“You think so?”

 

“I know so.” Yerin flashed her a smile that reached her eyes, curving up into attractive crescents that many people loved seeing. It brought Sojung some assurance and she was thankful for that.

 

But she wasn’t the topic here.

 

“Enough about me though, we’re talking about you and Sinb.” Sojung said, “Have you ever thought about the possibility that she might like you back?”

 

Yerin scoffed, finding the idea ridiculous, “What are the chances of that?”

 

“Hey, don’t pretend you don’t know about her rushing to your class the moment the bell rings just to get to you before the others do.”

 

“…You didn’t ask for her to do that?”

 

“No, that was all her.” she shook her head, “You should’ve seen the look on her face everytime she came back without you by her side.”

 

Yerin winced slightly in guilt.

 

Sojung had found out just a few days earlier after being suspicious of her actions and decided to confront her about it. Being roommates, Yerin didn’t have a choice and gave in, deciding to trust her unnie with her well-kept secret that isn’t so well-kept anymore after deciding to come clean.

 

A week before the whole fiasco started, Yerin realized she liked Sinb more than a friend. It was during the time that the younger woman received a letter from a ‘secret admirer’ as the letter put it.

 

It wasn’t a secret for long when Yerin caught her classmate, Kang In Ho, slipping the letter into Sinb’s locker.

 

It wasn’t that much of a surprise for her since Sinb was well liked despite her reputation, but hearing them talking about the younger woman annoyed her for some reason she couldn’t understand. So she did her best to stay clear from those conversations, trying her best not to snap at some baseless rumors some of them would conjure on the spot.

 

As for Inho’s situation, she did promise to keep it a secret, and hoped to not get involved any more than that but he didn’t want to let go of the opportunity and asked for her help in wooing her friend.

 

Yerin didn’t want to.

 

She had told the man clearly that, she really wasn’t the type of person who would force her friend to like someone she isn’t interested in but then the man thought he could make a deal.

 

“Listen, if you help me with Sinb-ssi, I’ll help you with your crush. I know who it is. It’s Taein right? I’m good friends with him so I could put in a good word for you just please help me out? Please?”

 

The AUDACITY of this guy, assuming that she even liked a guy…

 

“What are you talking about? I don’t even know him.”

 

“The others said you do.” he insisted, a knowing smirk on his face that Yerin wanted nothing more than to wipe it off with her fists, “Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone, just please help me out with Sinb? You know, just talk about me to her. You can do that right?”

 

No she won’t.

 

“Preferably before this Thursday. I’m planning to confess to her by that time.”

 

There’s a deadline?

 

Yerin had to hold back in a sigh. This was getting more and more ridiculous as it was annoying.

 

“I’m already warning you for your sake but I don’t think she’ll even hear you out.”

 

“No harm in trying, that’s why you’re there anyway right? Don’t worry, I’ll tell Taein you’re a good person, maybe increase your chances with him.”
 

“Aish, don’t tell him anything!” Yerin was already at her breaking point. She really didn’t want to deal with this, “I don’t even know him. Stop spreading baseless rumors.”

 

“Are you su–”

 

Of course I’m sure.”

 

“Well, okay, if you say so, but don’t forget our deal! Thanks!”

 

He ran off right after without even hearing the rest of what she had to say. She didn’t even agree to it. Not once did she even say yes to any of his requests. So no, she won’t do anything.

 

And even if she agreed to help, she won’t do it either. Despite being classmates, she didn’t know much about Inho, and basing from the quick conversation they had, she doesn’t like him for Sinb at all.

 

Sinb doesn’t deserve to be with someone who doesn’t know how to listen.

 

She decided to just forget about it for the rest of that afternoon, thinking that there were other things worth more of her time than something that would just make her more stressed. But when she watched Sinb reading the letter and some of her other friends teasing her about it, she couldn’t help the rage that was boiling over like a raging wave threatening to crush everything in its path.

 

There was only one thing in her mind. She didn’t want Sinb to be with that guy, even the thought of her being with someone else didn’t sit well with her.

 

For the rest of the day until night came it was the only thing going through her mind and it was only during her shower that she did to cool herself off when she realized that she was overreacting about this situation. Being annoyed at the admirer, yes, perhaps still reasonable, but anger? The feeling like she didn’t want any of them close to Sinb at all. And most of all, the thought of Sinb actually dating anyone else just gave her a sick feeling like the thought was a huge taboo. That was another case entirely. And Yerin hated that she understood what it could mean.

 

Yerin wasn’t stupid. She knew what jealousy looked like and felt like and she was having a bad case of it, but why did she not notice it until that moment?

 

Under the flowing waters of the shower head, Yerin just stood there having flashbacks of the times she’s spent with Sinb which only further confirmed her realizations.

 

She liked Sinb. More than a friend.

 

With the discovery of her feelings, Yerin didn’t exactly know what to do when morning came. They had school, she’s going to meet the girls as usual, she’s going to be seeing Sinb…

 

She’s going to be seeing Sinb.

 

If Yerin didn’t know what panicking was, she definitely knew at that moment. She suddenly had no idea how she should act around her. What should she say? Her mind was going at 50 miles per hour and had no plans in stopping. All of a sudden she didn’t know how to act normal.

 

Yerin played with the mug’s handle as she continued thinking back. It was her inexperience in liking someone that made her do a move like what she did. She couldn’t bear with the thought of anyone discovering her feelings and decided that she needed more time to get herself together. So she tried to stay clear of them, of Sinb, for the entire day. One day became two, two became four, until a whole week passed but she was still just as nervous as when she first realized it. Nothing happened with that week off at all. Nothing helped, it was so useless.

 

And as if to add more problems to her already overstressed brain cells, it also didn’t help that Inho opened his big mouth and began talking about how she was helping him out and all of a sudden everyone wanted to become friends with her. She now had more people to avoid. Thankfully her friends in the same class were always there to get her out.

 

Anyway, she never really knew what happened with the confession, and she didn’t care. All she knows is Sinb’s not with that guy and that’s good.

 

“My plan was a mistake.” Yerin spoke up, looking over at Sojung, “I thought I’d finally understand on how to deal with these… feelings of mine.”

 

“I guess it didn’t work that way?”

 

“No. It just made me miss her more and want to be with her more, I tried not to pay attention to her today, but it was useless.” Yerin sighed silently, before smiling slightly but Sojung could tell she felt guilty, “At least I learned my lesson. And I missed you guys too, I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” Sojung reached over, patting her hand in assurance, “At least we get to spend time with you again. You won’t believe the amount of trouble Yuna and Sinb got themselves into the past days.”

 

Yerin clicked her tongue in mock disapproval, “Looks like I have to step in again.”

 

“Shut up you, you’re a worse troublemaker than both of them combined.”

 

“Unnie, you just need to learn to have fun.”

 

“Your sense of fun is not normal.” Sojung stared.

 

Yerin gasped, “Are you saying I’m weird?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You answered that way too quickly.”

 

“It’s my job as your friend to tell you the truth.” Sojung chuckled slightly at the pout that formed on the woman’s face, “And also my job to tell you to head back to bed now. It’s already late.”

 

“You go on ahead unnie, I’ll just finish this.” she tapped her mug.

 

“Okay.” Sojung stood up, “Don’t take too long.” Yerin hummed in compliance.

 

Raising the cup to her lips, she watched her unnie leaving her seat and walking back to the living room. Her milk had turned slightly lukewarm but still drinkable.

 

“Crap.”

 

Yerin looked up just to see Sojung paused at the doorway, seemingly looking at something.

 

“What is it unnie?” Yerin asked, placing her mug down and getting up from her seat as well to see what the matter was but soon understood when Sojung stepped aside to reveal Sinb’s figure before her.

 

Yerin felt herself freeze, eyes widening like saucers. Crap.

 

There were a few minutes of pure silence between them. Yerin just gazing at her while Sinb couldn’t even look up to meet her gaze.

 

“Oh look, it’s already late. I’ll be heading to bed now Yerin, bye.”

 

Sojung quickly got herself out of that awkward situation, leaving the two alone.

 

Another minute and Yerin decided to break the silence. The atmosphere grew thick as she spoke.

 

“H-how…” Yerin swallowed thickly, forcing herself to speak, “How much did you hear?”

 

Sinb scratched the back of her neck in slight discomfort, looking like she didn’t know the answer to the simple question. But in reality she was just finding it hard deciding whether to answer honestly or not.

 

“Hwang Eunbi.”

 

“Everything.” Sinb replied quickly, knowing she either tell the truth or Yerin won’t like it, “I heard everything.”

 

---

 

There was a very pregnant pause from the older woman, causing Sinb’s discomfort to skyrocket to new heights. She didn’t mean to eavesdrop. She just woke up to some sounds and when she checked, two people were missing from the living room and the kitchen lights were on.

 

She just wanted a glass of water but never would she have expected for it to turn out this way.

 

It was wrong, she knew that, but she had to know. Steeling herself, she finally looked up.

 

Yerin’s expression alarmed her. She was clutching her wrist tightly, looked ready to cry at any minute and visibly shaking in fear. Sinb rushed to her side immediately, since she looked like she was about to faint but Yerin took a step back.

 

Sinb then realized she feared this situation they were in, it was why she avoided her in the first place. Sinb knew that if she were Yerin she would feel the same. They’ve already had a long history of friendship together, but that in itself was already a special connection not everyone can have. She knew what she was getting into when she found out she liked Yerin more than a friend, and she also feared for their friendship if ever it got out so she kept quiet, settling with mere glances and small gestures just to make sure Yerin was happy.

 

But this was a different situation entirely and she’s scared that she may have messed up badly.

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Are you disgusted with me?”

 

Sinb stared, “What? No!”

 

“I’ve been very touchy towards you, hugging you even if you don’t like it, you must think I’m a ert.”

 

Sinb shook her head vehemently, “No… Of course I don’t, I never thought of that.”

 

“What about now–”

 

“Not now, not ever!” Sinb interrupted, wanting Yerin to understand that she never even came close to the thought, “Yerin-unnie I would never think of you that way…”

 

Yerin fell silent again, so Sinb took that opportunity to take another step closer and this time she didn’t avoid it.

 

“Well,” the older spoke again, and Sinb stopped in her tracks waiting for what she had to say, “I’m… If you’re going to reject me, can we at least still be friends…?”

 

Sinb didn’t answer immediately, feeling her heart sink everytime Yerin spoke about herself, indicating how lowly she thought of herself. Yerin must think that she wasn’t good enough for her when in reality she’s all Sinb ever needs.

 

It’s her who thinks Yerin’s too good for her.

 

But this woman liked her for who she is. For all the years that they’ve been together as friends, Sinb has shown sides of her that would displease anyone. Yerin has seen her at her worst but still… she chose her. Amongst all the other good-looking, skilled, intelligent people that she could like, who deserved her love and affection more than she ever would, she still chose her.

 

“Yennie.” Sinb spoke softly, finally had her within reach and brought her into the tightest hug she could muster, Yerin reciprocating it just as much, “I can’t.”

 

Yerin was about to push herself away when she heard the words she’s been dreading to hear, but the younger woman held on, refusing to let go, not until Yerin heard everything she needs to say.

 

“I can’t reject you.”

 

Yerin stopped struggling, “What?”

 

“I like you too. A lot. So, so much.”

 

Yerin stammered, “But- you- huh?”

 

Sinb held back a laugh, “Pabo unnie I like you too. So I can’t reject you and I don’t want to be just friends with you.”

 

Yerin pulled away successfully this time, but more gently and still in the younger’s arms, looking into her eyes as if searching for any indication that she was just joking.

 

But all she saw was Sinb’s soft gaze on her, eyes as sincere as she had ever seen them.

 

“Y-you’re not joking?”

 

“No.”

 

“You’re not just saying this to be nice?”

 

“No.”

 

“Sinb-ah…” Yerin swallowed, hesitant, “You really like me too? I’m not dreaming this?”

 

Sinb grinned, pinching Yerin’s cheeks slightly, almost lovingly, “No and no. I like you too. And if this was a dream then it’s going to be the realest dream we’re both having.”

 

Yerin’s reaction was automatic, tears escaping her eyes all of a sudden and lips turned into a frown as she buried her face into Sinb’s shoulder, sobbing. Normally, this would alarm the younger woman. Yerin crying was a big issue for her and she hated seeing it, but this was a different story.

 

She just knew Yerin was just overwhelmed.

 

“You idiot, I was so scared!” Yerin grumbled.

 

Sinb chuckled, but settled with patting her head affectionately as if consoling a child, “There, there Yerin-unnie. If it makes you feel better, I thought you hated me.”

 

“I would never!” Yerin answered, “But I guess it’s my fault since I stayed away most of the time… I’m sorry.”

 

“You can make it up to me by not doing it again anymore.”

 

Yerin pulled away, sniffling slightly as Sinb went ahead and wiped the tears off her cheeks, “Promise.”

 

“Good.” Sinb nodded in approval, hands still on her cheeks as she held her gaze.

 

“Yay!”

 

Yerin and Sinb immediately turned to the source of the sudden cheer and felt their cheeks begin to warm up upon seeing all of their friends by the kitchen door, watching them.

 

“Woohoo!”

 

“Live action drama at its finest.”

 

“Before you ask, yeah, we heard everything.”

 

“What’s with everyone eavesdropping on everything!” Yerin whined.

 

“To be fair.” Sojung raised a hand, “You weren’t exactly quiet.”

 

“Woke us right up when Sinb began yelling ‘No’!” Yuna laughed when the younger shook a fist at her.

 

“But seriously I’m so happy for you girls.” Eunha sighed, wiping a nonexistent tear from her eye, “I’m so proud…”

 

“Sinb has grown so much.”

 

“No more ridiculous whining about how Yerin-unnie’s not giving her enough hugs and kisses.”

 

“Yah, Kim Yewon!” Sinb was about to break free from Yerin’s embrace but ended up stopping abruptly when she felt something soft landing on her cheek and disappearing almost immediately. When she looked at the source, Yerin just looked back at her with a bright smile that seemed to light up the room.

 

The girls cheered again, further embarrassing the two.

 

Not wanting to be beat, Yerin suddenly thought of a devious plan and leaned forward slightly so she could tell Sinb about it. The younger’s lips turned up into a mischievous smirk before the both of them faced the group.

 

“Eunha-yah~” Yerin called out sweetly, Sinb almost laughed out loud at how Sojung froze, her smile completely wiped off her face.

 

“Hm?”

 

“You know there’s someone else here who needs to confess too.”

 

Sinb grinned as Sojung’s expression hardened and she knew they needed to get out of there. Fast.

 

“Sojung-unnie has something to say to you! We’ll be leaving you alone, bye!” Sinb rapidly said before grabbing Yerin’s wrist and the both of them rushing past them towards Eunha’s bedroom, laughing out loud when Sojung began yelling after them.

 

“You come back here you-!”

 

“Sojung-unnie.”

 

The eldest stopped, turning towards Eunha nervously.

 

“What were they talking about?”

 

Yewon and Yuna quickly excused themselves, seeking refuge with the other two as they sneakily watched the whole scene unfold before them.

 

Sojung ruffled her hair in slight frustration, but Yerin and Sinb knew deep inside that this was just the push she needed, “These troublemakers, seriously…”

 

---

 

“Hey Yerin, wanna hang out again today?” Hayoung approached her seat as the woman was busy arranging her things.

 

“I don’t think I can today.” Yerin replied apologetically.

 

“Are you sure? Those guys are going to hound you again for sure.” Joy approached, gesturing behind her where a bunch of people were waiting.

 

“I’m sure, and besides I already promised someone I’d be going out with her.” Yerin stood up, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

 

“Her?” the two repeated.

 

Yerin nodded, “Yeah, in fact she should be–”

 

“Excuse me, is Yerin-unnie here?”

 

They all looked up at the sound of the already familiar voice, seeing the source standing by the doorway and looking around the room in search for someone.

 

“There she is. Sinb-ah!” Yerin waved to grab her attention which the younger was quick to reciprocate as she entered the classroom, swiftly making her way towards her.

 

“Looks like I’m not late this time.” Sinb remarked, immediately grabbing the hand Yerin held out for her.

 

“I don’t think you were ever late, I’m just too quick to leave.” Yerin answered, “Is it going be just us two or will the others be joining us?”

 

“Just us two. Sojung-unnie and Eunha-unnie already went on their own date. Yuna-unnie and Yewon went off to get some last minute studying in before the library closes.” Sinb enumerated, nodding to herself when she got everything right.

 

“Good. I would have asked them to leave us alone just for today even if they were free. I think we deserve our own date.” Yerin chuckled, before turning to her slightly shell-shocked friends, “I have to go, you two. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Without waiting for a reply, they left, leaving everyone who had witnessed the exchange with unanswered questions.

 

The rumor mill of the seniors were sure to start up again, but they didn’t care. At least it was about the both of them now.

 

“Come to think of it, what happened with Inho?” Yerin asked as they walked down the hallways to the school’s exit.

 

“Who?”

 

“The guy who confessed to you last Thursday.”

 

“Oh THAT guy.” Sinb snorted, “I left as soon as I saw the flowers and chocolates. He did ask, but I turned him down. And what about you? There’s rumor going on about Taein-sunbaenim.”

 

Yerin groaned out in frustration, “I swear if I catch whoever started that rumor, I’m making him or her broadcast to the whole school that all of that is just made up. I don’t even know the guy.”

 

“Unnie, Taein-sunbaenim is in the same club you’re in.”

 

Yerin huffed, “I said what I said. I don’t know him, nor do I care. That Seolhee seemed to believe it though so she came after me one time but I managed to take care of it.”

 

“At least that’s taken care of.” Sinb nodded her head in approval, “Anyway, unnie, our favorite café’s going to have a special offer at around 5 today. We should get there before somebody beats us to it.”

 

“Really?” Yerin stared then looked at her watch quickly, “We only have 20 minutes left.”

 

“Then let’s go! They might give out free cakes or something!” Sinb jumped excitedly, about to pull Yerin to hurry it up, but the older pulled her back.

 

“Before that.” Yerin hummed, placing a well-timed kiss on her cheek, smiling widely at the blush surfacing on the younger’s face, “Your daily kiss from me to you.”

 

Sinb grumbled slightly, but Yerin knew she liked it, “Thanks…” she basically whispered shyly, “Aish unnie we’re gonna be late~”

 

“No we won’t.” Yerin tugged at her wrist this time as they broke into a run, “Let’s go!”

 

---

 

This isn't exactly one of my good works haha, but anyway

GFRIEND COMEBACK TOMORROW ANAOFHAOFNAOFBAJDBFAKEBF LET'S SUPPORT THEM AS MUCH AS WE CAN