Chapter II

Play it Cool

 

“Are you the new applicant today?”

Yuqi nodded. She stood quietly in front of one person, the female president, Jeon Soyeon. After hearing about the club’s popularity among students, Yuqi felt pressured. She thought of it as just a normal club. But she learned that performing arts is on a different level in Korea. Yuqi breathed heavily and closed her eyes. Soyeon-ssi was quiet for a moment which made Yuqi feel more anxious than ever.

 

“Song Yuqi?” Soyeon began.

 

Yuqi held her breath for a moment before answering “Yes”.

 

“Relax” Soyeon broke into a smile “I’m not going to bite you”

 

Yuqi laughed dryly, still nervous.

 

“Can I see what you prepared?”

 

Yuqi nodded and proceeded to play the music. Her hands were cold as she waited for the music to start. Again, she closed her eyes as she exhaled slowly to calm her nerves. Just as practiced, she reminded herself as soon as the first beat played.

 

 


 

 

Lucas threw himself into his bed as soon as he got to the dorms. It was the most comfortable thing he had ever felt. Lucas was drifting off to dreamland until he heard a knock on his door.

 

“Xuxi” it was Winwin, the dorm head.

 

Groaning, he tried to let himself up “Si Cheng ge” he greeted back in his Chinese dialect.

 

“Dinner’s ready” announced his dorm mate. “You look tired though, did you practice”

 

Lucas shook his head “Soyeon noona used the practice room for a new applicant. And I’m skipping dinner today” Lucas remarked “Thanks anyways”

 

“Got it” Winwin nodded before closing the door.

 

Lucas sighed but got up on his feet and took a cold shower.

 

 


 

 

Math was Lucas’ first subject in the morning. And because he ran late, he was punished to answer the first problem. Math was his weakest point. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that he’s good in any subject any way.

 

“Mr. Wong?” The teacher smiled grimly.

 

“Thirty eight” Lucas turned to his right side but Yuqi turned her head away in time.

 

Oh yeah, someone is sitting next to me from now on.

 

“Your answer?” The teacher’s tone indicted that he was starting to get impatient.

 

“Thir- thirty eight?” Lucas stuttered but managed to get his composure.

 

“Are you sure?” The teacher was sceptical.

 

I’m not but I had to risk it.

 

Lucas gulped “Yes”

 

“Fine” The teacher said sternly. “Miss Song?”

 

Lucas sighed in relief. It was the first time he— well, with the help of the person beside him, answered correctly. However, it was the said helper’s turn to be asked.

 

“How do you derive the answer from this equation?” The teacher asked.

 

Yuqi stood up, and with confidence, she answered “Square the six and add the constant two”.

 

Lucas still found that tone of voice strange. But even if he is as cold as he can be, he wasn’t an . Lucas slightly turned his head and whispered, “Thanks.” Yuqi didn’t have to respond as it was clear to Lucas that a smile broke on her face.

 

 


 

 

Lunch breaks were a hassle for Lucas, not that he doesn’t get along with his classmates. To Lucas, lunch breaks were the only time he could eat his homemade lunch box peacefully— the taste of Hong Kong that he misses dearly.

 

Lucas would secretly sneak out of the building, avoiding any students at all cost. He liked eating in his special place behind the school building. It used to be a garden but the soil went dry. Nevertheless, the scenery is still good. With the school located at the hill, he had a wonderful view of the town below.

 

One more corner. Lucas walked briskly, nearing his destination. There was a blind curve obstructed by the building. Failing to see what’s ahead of him, he bumped lightly to the person in front of him.

 

“Sorry!” Both chorused, voices toppling one another.

 

Lucas stared at the familiar person in front of him “Yu… qi?” So small, Lucas thought.

 

Yuqi chuckled, to which Lucas didn’t expect “I’m surprised you know my name. Judging how you ignored me yesterday.”

 

“Well, you’re the new student so I kept hearing your name” Lucas lied, he knew her from her application form. “And I didn’t really ignore you yesterday” Lucas seemed flustered by her comment. It was the first time a stranger blatantly implicated his attitude.

 

“I guess Thor got you really engrossed” Yuqi addressed the comic Lucas was reading the day before.

 

Lucas smiled awkwardly “What is the new student doing here, anyway? Are you lost?” He tried to change the topic.

 

Yuqi shook her head “I’m finding a place to eat lunch. What about Mr. Popular?”

 

Lucas furrowed his brows “Where did you hear that?”

 

“I heard a lot about you. Mostly from female classmates” Yuqi grinned. “Anyways, I’m hungry so I better go now”

 

Before Yuqi could go, Lucas told her to wait. “I know a place” he said. He doesn’t know why but Yuqi doesn’t give off the feeling of her being interested in him. She seemed so chill and it may also be the fact that she’s Chinese that made him feel comfortable around her.

 

 


 

 

“This is nice!” Yuqi smiled at the scenery “So even you have a secret place. I thought only fictional characters do that” Yuqi joked which made Lucas choke on his water.

 

“Why didn’t you go with your friends? You seem pretty popular already” Lucas asked. The boys had been flocking over you since day one. However, Lucas finally got the chance to observe her. He would be lying if he said she isn’t cute. With curly, golden locks and fair skin, she looks like a doll.

 

“My Korean isn’t that good” Yuqi admitted “I usually feel out of place”

 

Lucas can empathize, that’s why he felt like an outcast.”You can talk to me in mandarin” He blurted out in his native tongue.

 

Yuqi’s eyes widened but she immediately smiled. It was that familiar sense of her hometown, and Yuqi was homesick “I really appreciate that” she replied in mandarin as well.

 

Lucas let himself loose. It had been so long since he had a conversation with someone of his age. True that his Si Cheng ge had been of help, but he was always busy as a dorm head and a senior. There’s also Shuhua in the same club but they don’t really interact and she doesn’t speak much as well. Yuqi on the other hand is very talkative. Lucas can’t get used to her baby face and deep voice. It was a big contrast, in which Lucas found quite fascinating in a way. They talked for a bit while they ate lunch and Lucas asked if he could play music in which Yuqi agreed.

 

“I love this song!” Yuqi beamed as she sang the lyrics.

 

Do we need somebody just to feel like we're alright?
Is the only reason you're holding me tonight
'Cause we're scared to be lonely
?

 

Lucas started to laugh when Yuqi swayed her head along with the beat drop. She’s so natural, he thought. “I just can’t get used to your voice”

 

Yuqi sighed “A lot of people don’t” then proceeded to laugh about it.

 

“You also remind me of my younger brother back in Hong Kong” Lucas remarked.

 

“Then you can just call me Yuqi didi” Yuqi smiled.

 

 


 

 

A/N:

Ge/ Gege means "older brother" in Chinese

Didi means "younger brother"