In the dark

Gods and mortals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You pinch the bridge of your nose, trying to silence the unending wishes you can hear at the back of your mind.

Mortals, you sigh. Always wishing for love, blah blah blah. After eons of listening to them beg for the same thing, it gets tiring. Don't they know they should start praying to Eros instead?

You twirl the pen in your hand and squeezed your eyes shut. It's fine, you tell yourself. Today you are Bae Joohyun, regular college student just listening to a professor drone on and on in class.

Mortals might be skeptical about having a higher being amongst them, hell, they stopped believing in you long ago, (doesn't stop them from praying to you specifically, though) but they knew you're somewhat special. Numerous mortals have already asked you out for a 'date' but you turned them down. You were just so bored out of your eternal mind, you started wondering what the mortals were up to these days.

And that's how you found yourself sitting in a university, listening to the minds of the mortals around you. Most of them are staring at you (you know not because you can read their dirty little minds but because you can feel their stares at the back of your neck) but some are trying to listen to the boring mortal in front.

'What the ? Is she an actual angel?' A soft voice whispered in your mind.

You caught the tail end of a thought and you can't help but feel smug. Closing your eyes for a second, you concentrate on finding the mortal whose thoughts are very loud in your mind. The mortal's soul is bright and pure but with a tinge of grey. This mortal is lonely. You didn't need to touch the mortal's body to know that.

You turn your head to the mortal's direction and warm, brown eyes meet your own. You let out a small smile and her eyes widen before she immediately ducks her head.

 

'Holy . The angel just smiled at me.'

 

What an adorable mortal, you thought as you stifle a smile. You’ve been alive for eons and you wonder, not for the first time, what she sees when she looks at you. Does she see you as some tall supermodel? Maybe she sees you as you actually--

You stop the thought before it’s even finished. Being the goddess of love and beauty, when mortals looks at you, they see you as someone that fits their preferences. Which was such a waste, if you may say so yourself. You’ve been told by your godly siblings (the only ones who can see your true form) that you’ve got a killer smile, one that can melt even the coldest of hearts.

 

‘Should I talk to her? , she’s so pretty.’ Was the last of her thoughts before the boring mortal professor ends the class.

 

Just because she’s cute, you decide to make it easier for the mortal as you make your way out of the room. “Hey,” you greet her, letting your lips form that disarming smile that once stopped Athena and Poseidon from fighting.

 

The mortal was startled, eyes widening comically as she dropped her books the moment you opened your mouth. You stoop down to help her gather her things. “Oh my gosh, I-I’m so sorry,” she says, a deep blush overtaking her cheeks. “I mean, hi, yes, but also sorry.”

 

You chuckle. “Why are you apologizing?”

 

“I dropped my books on your feet!” she says, looking mortified. “I am so sorry.”

 

“It’s fine ...” you trail off, staring at her.

 

“Seungwan,” she quickly introduces herself. “I’m Seungwan. Son Seungwan.”

 

“Hi, I’m Bae Joohyun,” you reply, holding out your hand. You try to repress the shiver that makes its way down your mortal body when her skin touches yours. It derails your mind for a second. You would have sensed if she was anything other than a mortal human, which only means one thing and you groan internally at the thought. She's been touched by a god. Touched how, you didn't know.

The possibilities makes you want to whine and pout like a child.

"Is something wrong?" Wendy asked, concerned.

The question makes you look up at her eyes and in that moment you decide to befriend this mortal. Only to find out which god or goddess touched first though. Only for that reason. "No, I'm fine," you answer, smiling. You clear your throat. "How come I've never seen you in this class before?"

"Oh, um," she stutters. "I'm not actually supposed to be here. I was just bored so I crashed."

You laugh at that. "What do you actually study here then?"

"Bio," she answers. "You?"

Too easy, you thought. "Me?" you giggle, "you want to study me?"

"Wha- no, that's not what I--" she sputters, blushing again.

"I'm kidding, relax." You grinned cheekily. "I'm actually new, just moved here."

"Ah,” she says, “I knew you weren’t from around here.”

Well, technically. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Just something about you," she says, a dimple appearing on her cheek when she smiled. How cute. "I would have noticed you."

"Yeah, sorry, I've been told I was ‘otherworldly’," you mutter incredulously, trying not to sound conceited. You have no idea how these mortals got stupidly smart. That’s literally spot on.

She laughs. “You kinda are, I mean. They’re not wrong.” She waves her hand dismissively. "But you also have an accent that I can't place. Very cute, to be honest."

 

It's Greek. "You know what, I'll take that as a compliment," you reply cheekily.

"You should," she agrees, eyes shining. "Do you wanna grab some coffee sometime?"

Ah, there we go. "Yeah, of course. I could definitely use a friend around here," you answer, hoping she understands what you're hinting at.

Her smile falters for a second but her enthusiasm doesn't when she proceeds to tell you about a great coffee shop just outside campus.

 

***

 

You open the door to your apartment and immediately sense the being currently sitting on your coach.

 

"Hello, nephew," you greet even before you turn on the lights. There was no mistaking the distinct aura, blonde hair and blue eyes. The god of the arts and medicine, in your humble abode. "You should try blending in, you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you plan to stay."

 

He stands, walking over to you and gives you a hug. "Hello, my favorite aunt."

 

You chuckle into his chest. "Okay, your other aunts aren't here so you can stop playing favorites."

 

"What? It's true," he says, smiling even brighter than the sun (get it? get it?). He stares at you from an arms' length. "Imagine my surprise, hearing about my dear favorite aunt, whom I haven't seen in nearly a century, coming down to Earth?"

 

You shrug. "I was bored."

 

"Aren't we all?" he says, turning his back to you as he examines your apartment. "I know about your deal with father."

 

He has always been straightforward with you. You hum in reply. "It's my business. Not yours, nephew."

 

"I know," he says, unmoved by the warning in your tone. "You know it's never been done before, right?"

 

"I don't care," you answer steely. "Are you done? I'm tired. You can see yourself out."

 

He nods, raising his arms as though to surrender. "Okay, I'm on your side. You don't have to be angry."

 

You stare at him for a second before nodding back. "Seriously, though, I'm tired. Get the out."

 

"Fine," he huffs, not unlike a child. "I'll come visit again soon, okay?"

 

"Sure, whatever."

 

He chuckles. "Stop acting like a teenage brat, you're eons older than I am."

 

"No, I'm not," you reply cheekily. "Not in this form." His brighter-than-the-sun grin was the last thing you saw before he disappeared in a beam of light.

 

***

 

You decided it was a game and you would tune out her thoughts. Only relying on her actions and your own observations on figuring out which godly being has been in contact with her. You try not to let distracting thoughts like ‘What kind of contact did they have?’ and ‘The adorable mortal has been touched by a god’ plagued your mind all day.

 

You were a university student after all. Although you’d like to charm your professors into letting you pass their class, your dear brother Zeus has stripped you of that specific power when you made a deal with him. Something about not wanting another world war. You huff at that. Like you’d want trouble. You just wanted some peace and quiet, maybe a little bit of entertainment from the mortals. It’s been ages since you went down to Earth and you were fascinated with all the things they’ve done. Mortal women were now allowed to study and vote! Mortals were very weird with how they treat women. It makes you glad that gods and goddesses were treated equally up in Olympus. Poor mortal women, you feel bad for them.

 

Although technically, you were one of them. You may be a little harder to kill than a normal human but Zeus had given you a very much mortal body. He let you keep some of your powers and had also left a ‘trust fund.’ It was a little disconcerting, not being able to charm mortals into doing your bidding but after a few weeks of being (not completely) mortal, you’ve gotten used to it. You even got yourself one of those ‘smartphones’ but your enthusiasm for the annoying little thing has dwindled down after receiving too many photos of the male ia. Seriously, what the .

 

The annoying little device vibrates on top of your desk, interrupting your musings while you pretend to study. You eye the device warily before sighing as unlock it.

 

Unknown number: Hey, Joohyun. This is Seungwan.

 

You don’t notice the smile that makes its way to your lips as you save her number.

 

To Seungwan: Hi, Seungwan. What’s up?

 

From Seungwan: Nothing much. Are you busy? Do you wanna grab coffee with me?

 

You’re pretty much drowning in school work but she doesn’t need to know that. Seriously, was Zeus snorting when he gave you this life?

 

To Seungwan: Sure! Where are we meeting?

 

From Seungwan: Where are you? I can pick you up, if you want.

 

Okay, you’ve pretty much lost track of how old you really are. You’ve been alive for eons, watching mortals and gods alike do their thing but for the love of all the gods. It seems that this mortal body you’ve been given is not in sync with your eternal mind as you can feel a blush forming in your cheeks at the thought of Seungwan being all cute and chivalrous. Seriously, Zeus? You’re pretty sure he’s having the time of his dumb immortal life watching you text Seungwan your address.

 

From Seungwan: Be there in 10.


To Seungwan: Okay. :)

 

***

 

"Hamster unnie!" the woman behind the counter calls as soon as Seungwan opens the door of the small, hole in the wall cafe she leads you into. She gestures for you to enter with a smile, holding out the door for you. The cafe has a cute, relaxing atmosphere with its mismatched chairs and tables.

 

"Squirtle," Seungwan greets with a smile. "Long time, no see."

 

"Wouldn't have been an issue if you showed your face more," the woman replies with a teasing grin. "Aren't you gonna introduce me to your girlfriend?"

 

You can already feel a blush rising at the back of your neck. Stupid mortal reactions, stupid mortal body.

 

"Shut the up, pokemon," Seungwan snapped, her cheeks pink and you can’t help but stare at her, looking adorable in her black knit sweater and jeans.

 

The young woman was unfazed. "Charming," she remarks before turning to you and bowing slightly. "Hi, I'm Yerim."

 

"Hello," you reply politely, bowing as well. "I'm Joohyun."

 

“Nice meeting you,” Yerim says, grinning. “How did Seungwan unnie bribe you into going on a date with her, if you don’t mind me asking?”

 

You giggle as Seungwan sputters out a shaky, “Shut up, Yerim. We're not on a date.”

 

“Bet you wish it was, though,” Yerim mutters under her breath.

 

“Oh my god,” Seungwan sighs. “Can you just please, please take our order before I decide to kill you in your sleep?” she asks, sounding so exasperated you can’t help but laugh.

 

“You guys are cute,” you say, smiling.

 

“I’ll take full responsibility for that,” the younger woman says smugly, winking at you before taking your order. "You can go ahead and sit. I'll bring it to your table."

 

***

 

"Sorry about her," Seungwan mumbled as you sit across her. You picked one of the tables near the window. "She doesn't really know when to keep shut unless she's chewing on some food."

 

You laugh at that. "It's fine. You guys were cute."

 

"No, gross." Seungwan says, scrunching her face. “I just hope she doesn’t call our other friends to gang up on me while we’re here.”

 

“Well, that’s just adorable.”

 

“Okay, you wouldn’t think that if you were me. All they do is tease me when we’re together. They’re all devil spawns,” she adds darkly, making you laugh.

 

Yerim suddenly appears with a tray in her hand. “Here you go, ladies. Hot choco for the pretty lady and cappuccino with traces of my tears for the little person.”

 

Seungwan eyes you as if saying ‘See what I mean?’ before saying, “Thanks, Satan junior.”

 

“You’re welcome, puppy unnie,” the tall woman cooed at Seungwan before turning to you. “Let me know if you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter