Chapter 1

[un]Orthodox

"Die!" A piercing shriek rang below the Park household, a voice that was of anger, malice and desperation.

Chaeyoung was tied down on a chair, ropes holding her down to the wooden seat, feet together, and a cloth covering her body. Blood splattered onto the basement floor from the various vomiting of the lady, fetid odor filling the cramped room.

Gikwang watched as the latter's face only got worse. Its old reddish hue of life turned into a hideous one: purplish, veiny and her eyes clouded, as if smoke filled the inside. The earlier shriek from the demon that possessed the latter brought shivers to crawl down his spine, feet rooted to the ground as he kept still, muttering his prayers.

His gaze wandered off to the priest, the taller man's black robe dirtied with blood and his skin forming beads of sweat. In his hand was a bible, eyes locked onto the demon in front.

"You , kid", it spat out, trying to wriggle out of the chair.

Deep breaths kept both of them calm despite the storm that was brewing in front of them, the demon manifesting more on Chaeyoung's features. It made Gikwang worry. Would they have to kill Chaeyoung in the process?

The prayers have made the demon more aggressive, damaging the other's body, cuts and bruises below the cloth worsening every second.

However, Gikwang had no choice but to put his faith on God and trust Father Dongwoon. His worries started to get to him, doubts clouding his mind.

The priest gestured for the holy water. It was subtle but Gikwang was quick to notice the former's eyes that darted towards the glass. He reached for the item, arm stretching out but was stopped abruptly.

The demon had thrown one of the candles at him, the fire burning his wrist. Gikwang hissed in pain, it was as if lightning had struck his hand. However his motive was clear, he wasn't about to be intimidated by something so despicable.

With the priest taking the glass bottle in his hand, he splashed the contents onto the raging demon before him, the creature struggling more, screaming more as it felt the water seep into it and burn it.

Chaeyoung's body only got worse. The demon started to hurt her, blood dripping from her lips. The dripping worsened as Chaeyoung started to choke, unseen to them, but they heard it. Blood flooded down into the floor as she vomited again, black worms wriggling inside the liquid.

This had made Dongwoon chant his prayers louder, grip on the Bible tightening and his other hand splashing the holy water repeatedly still.


"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in our battle against principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places".

It had grown intense for the both of them. The demon was hard to nudge out, bringing the duo to their limits. Fortunately, the demon was first to get tired, leaving poor Chaeyoung alone and back to normal. The priest has successfully banished the demon back to hell and relief took over Gikwang's body as he sighed.


Today, they had done another good deed. Something God has done but through them, His instruments for spreading His good words, His blessings.

The husband, who was previously shaking in fear and worry at the corner, finally approached them, bowing down in gratitude.

“I sincerely thank you for saving my wife…b-but she won’t get possessed again, right?” He stuttered out, his eyes already puffy from crying and tears still flowing down his cheek.

"I apologize but I don’t know what the future holds for each of us. I can only assure that I will fulfill my duties if that ever happens. Don’t forget God always has his plans. My brother, let your heart be at peace for that the demon is gone with the power bestowed upon us by God, but I must leave now. I got an appointment to tend to". Father Woon replied with his usual soft smile, keeping it as is despite the fatigue from earlier.


Gikwang took a bath later that day, cold water making him shiver yet he didn't mind. It had made him more relaxed. He believed that the blood he lost and injuries he gained were nothing compared to his curiosity for the "other world".

Dressed in a more comfortable outfit, Gikwang headed over to the corridor where he saw Dongwoon. The latter had a countenance that exuded a feeling of melancholy.


"You must've been waiting- I didn't take long did I?" Gikwang asked, rather concerned.

Dongwoon shook his head, his face still the same yet a smile managed to tug upon the corner of his lips.

The little things like that was enough to make Gikwang happy and he couldn't help but wonder and think to himself: "Does he feel the same way?"