The Other

Perfect Strangers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He was always the happiest with Jongin. The man proved to be a great contender of the Sun, almost shining as bright as it, slowly allowing people to feel his warmth. If someone asks Kyungsoo if he'd do anything differently if someone gave him a choice to do so he'd say no and reject it. Everything is perfectly fine like this. 

 

--

 

He remembered the first time they met, it was a very cloudy day. Kyungsoo hated every bit of it because he had to fire his closest friend at the company who was stealing from the project funds. He had a very hard time wrapping his head around it but all the facts and evidence was given to him. His friend stayed quiet but that knowing smirk he had on his face was enough for Kyungsoo to believe that he was a fool to become friends with him, to be used and tricked by the man he thought was his friend. 

 

Enter Kim Jongin, the next in line head of Finance. It was the first time they met and it wasn't Kyungsoo's fault nor Jongin's. Kyungsoo just hated large gatherings and Jongin mostly kept to himself. 

 

Jongin is popular, for some reason that's unknown to himself but very known to every department. The man had a way with words, he also has a perfectly proportioned body, light and graceful movements were noticeable too. 

 

All the warning signs and alarms sounded in Kyungsoo's mind one time they spent a late night at the office, working on the costing and budgets. Jongin didn't mind and even offered to show him the progress of profits and amount of loss. 

 

He didn't mind working late, he didn't mind sharing a couple of details about him, some secrets he exclusively told Kyungsoo and only him. Kyungsoo took this to heart, trusting the man little by little, admitting the pain he felt when his friend fooled him. Kyungsoo admitted that he was stupid but Jongin said that he was just too trusting. 

 

Jongin was easy to get along with, the tall man was simple, he answered when spoken to, he don't usually speak his mind but when he does, everyone was bound to listen. That's why Kyungsoo couldn't help but listen to every word that came out of the man's mouth. 

 

Words that easily turned into promises, promises that turned into lies and lies that turned into truths. Awful truths that led Kyungsoo in that moment, standing in front of Jongin's office, planning to surprise the younger, only he was the one who got surprised. 

 

It wasn't Jongin's fault. He clearly made his intention known, that he wanted Kyungsoo as a friend but Kyungsoo was fragile, he was vulnerable at that time that he let his weaknesses overpower him, making him mistook kindness for love, happiness for warmth. Jongin is the sun, he became Kyungsoo's sun but clearly, he's not Jongin's sun, moon or stars for the matter. 

 

He watched as the woman hugs Jongin tightly both of them swaying lightly as if listening to a slow song matching the beat in every step. 

 

Kyungsoo's eyes met with Jongin's as he looked up, the younger’s lips formed into a smile, slowly parting from his female partner. The woman turned and damn, she's so beautiful that Kyungsoo would definitely think about courting her if he wasn't as bent as a spring. The woman whispered something to Jongin and the taller nodded, waving at Kyungsoo to come in. 

 

Kyungsoo's smile faltered, not wanting to feel this again, the feeling of betrayal, only this time, he was completely at fault. Instead of moving forward he turned and ran. He could hear Jongin calling from him but he ran. He ran so much that he didn't know there were tears streaming down his face. 

 

His heart was pounding out of his chest, he couldn't hear anything anymore. It was suffocating, just like how he felt the first time but this was worse, he fell in love with Jongin. Months and months of pining eventually led to this moment, when his heart is ready to burst, ready to proclaim his love, but he was too late and mistaken. 

 

Air rushed into his lungs once he stepped outside of his building, the building he worked hard for, building he established to make a name for himself away from his family. By rising to the top he lost friends, became cold and became distant to people in general. Jongin warmed his way into Kyungsoo's life melting away all the barriers he put up. 

 

Kyungsoo walked aimlessly, not knowing where to go until it hits him, literally and figuratively. He heard it first, the loud sound of a break blending with the sound of a horn and shouts of people before it registered to him that he was flying, feet off the ground, body thrown harshly yet all he could hear was Jongin's voice, so magical, so beautiful and calling out to him.. 

 

"Jongin" he mutters as his body hit the floor, lights glaring at him, coming from all sides. 

 

He felt a warm hand on his cheek and he leaned in to the touch, knowing that it was Jongin's familiar hand and warmth. 

 

"Soo, open your eyes!" the man demanded, albeit harshly but Kyungsoo still basked in the attention he got from the younger 

 

He forced himself to follow the younger’s words, he opened his eyes and frowned when he saw tears streaming down on the younger’s cheeks. He felt so numb and his limbs felt so heavy, he pushed himself to lift his arm, to let his hand wipe the younger’s tears. 

 

Jongin shouldn't cry, tears don't suit his beautiful face. "Soo, listen to me. Please" 

 

He nods lightly, not knowing if he can actually speak and listen. It's starting, the pain is slowly creeping up and shooting all over his body that he gripped Jongin's arm tightly. 

 

"I love you, Ni" he says softly

 

It hurts to breathe but it hurts even more to hear Jongin's answer "No" 

 

"I do" he mumbled, trying to look at the man who is now looking away from him. 

 

"No, Kyungsoo. Don't" Jongin warned. His voice was shaking but he reached out to hold Kyungsoo's hand tightly. 

 

"I'm sorry" Kyungsoo mumbled

 

Jongin turned to him with fresh tears rolling down his cheeks, he still looks so pretty even when crying. "Don't apologize, you . Confess to me when you're not bloodied up and dying! If you die right now I'm going to tell my sister!" he frowns

 

"S-sister?" Kyungsoo coughs and he tasted blood on his mouth, he probably damaged something important inside him but he doesn't care. Jongin is single, maybe he still has a chance. 

 

"Yes! She's been dying to meet you! Soo, hold on. The ambulance is coming" Jongin said, panic rising in his voice as he taps Kyungsoo's cheek lightly to keep him awake. 

 

"She's so pretty, like you" Kyungsoo muttered with a soft smile on his face. 

 

"Shut up" 

 

"I like you" Kyungsoo admits again, this time clearer and firmer 

 

"I said shut up!" Jongin answered back, angrily wiping his tears away. 

 

"I'm sorry" 

 

Jongin's tears started to fall on his face. He could hear the faint sound of the ambulance and yet he feels like he won't even make it. The pain subsided with Jongin's warmth and his words. "Stop apologizing please! Please Kyungsoo. I want a chance to be with you. Please don't leave me" the younger admits and holds Kyungsoo tighter

 

"I won't" he says with a smile. 

 

"You liar" Jongin says, his lips jutting out into a small pout. Kyungsoo really wants to kiss him right now but it would've been awkward. He's sure that they're in the middle of the street, he's all bloodied up and Jongin, God, Jongin looks like an angel. 

 

"I promise" Kyungsoo mumbled, slowly closing his eyes. 

 

"You never promise" Jongin points out. 

 

"This time… I--I promise" he says before he lets the darkness take him, the last thing on his mind is Jongin's angelic face and the warmth of plush lips on his forehead. 

 

 

--

 

 

Kyungsoo is his star, the one that shines brightly even the darkest hours. Jongin feels like he's the luckiest man the moment he met him. The man was as cold as ice but everything was worth it once the ice started melting. 

 

Kyungsoo's smiles were so warm that he feels contented whenever he's the reason behind those smiles.

 

He never got the chance to meet the CEO before the greatest trouble in their company happened. He heard gossip from people that their CEO was mean and judgmental but he chose not to believe them. 

 

The first time they met, Jongin thought the worst. The CEO looked like he was about to throw his chair on the wall and maybe throw Jongin through the window from all the glaring that he's doing. It was a few minutes after that he learned that his CEO had a very bad eyesight and was just trying to see him clearly

 

The CEO sighed when they were introduced to each other. He barely gave Jongin a glance more than a glare before he said to his right hand "Okay. Brief him about everything"

 

Jongin wasn't supposed to work hand in hand with the CEO but he still did. He knew about the other Finance head and he knows that the CEO probably has more than enough trust issues. He wanted to be on the good side of the CEO, not because he wants to be in his favor but because he just wants the older to trust him. 

 

Kyungsoo never questioned him or his regular visits just to update him regarding the gains and losses of the company, more than most of the time, Kyungsoo just stays quiet and listens. 

 

There was this one night wherein he had to stay so late because of the half of the year financial meeting the next day. He had to get the approval of the CEO and run numbers through him. It was the first time Jongin noticed how patient the man is, he listens carefully and asks when he is confused by something. Most of the time, his forehead furrows and his lips form into a little pout when he's thinking. He looks so adorable. Jongin had to clear his throat and look away just to hide the redness rushing on his cheeks. 

 

It was pointless to crush on his boss, he already knew that too well but Jongin didn't mind slowly pushing himself in the man's life, earning his friendship, hoping that it leads to more. 

 

Late Thursday nights became their thing, may it be to check on the reports or just talk about nothing and everything, he found that Kyungsoo didn't mind his mindless mumbling. 

 

That's when he knew he was done for, the moment the CEO finally graced him with his beautiful heart shaped smile, gradually turning into a beautiful, melodic laughter. Turning his eyes into crescents, cheeks rising up a little and Jongin knew right then and there that he would do anything to protect this man. 

 

He had to make his intentions clear and the sooner the better. All the months of asking his sister about suggestions and favors, his sister finally came from the US to finally meet this man that Jongin has been raving about. 

 

It was a Thursday night and he wanted Kyungsoo to meet his sister but his sister came too early, running inside his office to hug him tightly with a slight squeal of "Jonginnie!" a childhood nickname that he shared to Kyungsoo when he suddenly called the other by a nickname of his own "Soo" 

 

Jongin's sister was so happy that she clung to him like a Koala, talking about her trip happily and when Jongin looked up, he sees the man he loves the most watching through the door with a very strange expression on his eyes. Kyungsoo's facial expression may only range from cold to passive but his eyes says a lot. 

 

Jongin parted with his sister, lightly telling her that Kyungsoo was outside, the woman turned and smiled brightly at his boss, shyly waving as Jongin gestured to the older to come in. 

 

Both of them were surprised when Kyungsoo turned around and ran. Jongin instantly knew what Kyungsoo thought of, knowing the man had trust issues already, he knew that he probably doubted him right then. 

 

Jongin ran after him, taking the same way as Kyungsoo, going through the staircase and calling for him but the man seemed to be in a world of his own, ignoring his voice. 

 

Jongin's heart stopped when he saw it. His world slowed down as it played in slow motion in front of him. He called out Kyungsoo's name as the older's body got tossed by the car that hit him hard. Kyungsoo's reflex worked as he immediately covered his head to avoid damage before he hit the floor, he rolled over a few times and Jongin was there in an instant, calling for his name. 

 

He briefly saw his sister calling for an ambulance, the driver getting out of his car and the people gathering to see the people involved in the accident. All his focus was at the man who was on the ground trying to reach for him.

 

Kyungsoo, the love of his life, had the ing audacity to confess at that moment. As much as Jongin's heart is bursting with joy, he didn't want teh love of his life dying in his arms. He almost begged the man to keep his eyes awake, the man answering him every now and then, sharing small smiles, looking at Jongin as if he's the most precious thing on earth. 

 

Kyungsoo deserves more. "You never promise" Jongin points out, annoyed that the ambulance is taking longer than it usually does. 

 

"This time… I--I promise" Kyungsoo says before his eyes closed 

 

Jongin tried to shake him gently, but that only resulted to Kyungsoo's hand falling limp on his side. The paramedics finally came, extracting Kyungsoo from Jongin's arms and loading him up to the ambulance. Jongin stayed where he was, watched as they were about to close the door, before he stood up and ran. 

 

"No. I'm with him. Let me come" he demanded, wiping the tears away from his cheeks. 

 

He held Kyungsoo's cold hand as the paramedic did his job, the sound of the machine filling the air tangled with Jongin's soft prayer. 

 

"Sir, you need to fill up some forms when we get to the hospital." the man beside him says softly. 

 

"I need to be with him" Jongin muttered and shook his head

 

The man touched his knee and gave him a small sad smile. "I know, but his best chance is to be rushed to the operating room as soon as he gets there. My husband is already there he will take care of him" he says softly 

 

Jongin didn't answer, he wants to be with Kyungsoo. He doesn't want to let him go alone. "I don't usually say promises especially to cases like these but I promise you, my husband will do his best to keep him alive" 

 

"Your husband, who is he?" Jongin asks, he doesn't know if he's asking just so he can blame someone afterwards if Kyungsoo doesn't survive, when deep inside he knows that it was partly his fault. 

 

"Oh Sehun, Dr. Oh Sehun" the man answered with a soft smile. 

 

Jongin finally nodded, gently letting go of Kyungsoo's hand but not before he gave it a hard squeeze. 

 

 

--

 

 

The surgery took hours, hours and hours of waiting and crying. Jongin was never the one to shed his tears easily but he couldn't stop them now. He didn't want to lose Kyungsoo, not before they can start, not when they have a chance to bring happiness to each other's lives. 

 

The doctor came out, looking exhausted as he takes off his mask and scrub cap. He raked his fingers through his black hair before he turned to the nurse who was standing next to him, giving soft orders that Jongin couldn't hear. 

 

"Family of Doh Kyungsoo?" the doctor calls out shortly. 

 

Jongin immediately stood up, he already stopped crying moments ago, not wanting Kyungsoo to see him that way. 

 

"Is he-" 

 

"Mr. Doh" The doctor addressed him but as much as he wanted to take Kyungsoo's last name, it wasn't right to just take it without consent. "Kim. My name is Kim Jongin" he corrects

 

"Mr. Kim. Your boyfriend went through a lot, the impact of the crash hit him in full force, we had to repair a lot of damage internally. To be honest, he's not--" 

 

"The paramedic" Jongin cuts him off, earning a confused look on the doctor's face. "What?" he asks

 

"The paramedic that came with us, he said that you will keep Kyungsoo alive. He promised me. You're his husband, right? You're Doctor Oh Sehun" Jongin points out

 

The tall doctor sighed softly and gave him a tight smile. "Baekhyun" the taller muttered softly before he nodded lightly. "I am his husband. Mr. Kim we don't say promises because we can't assu-" 

 

"But he did. He knew what he was saying and he said that you're going to save Kyungsoo" Jongin cuts him off earning another sigh from the doctor. 

 

"Kyungsoo is stable as of now, I put him under a medically induced coma to allow his body to rest and heal. After that, it's all him, I don't know when he will wake up but his head scans are clear and I don't see any damage" the doctor explained clearly, reassuring him. 

 

"You won't let him die, right?" he asks bluntly

 

"I'll watch him for 48 hours. It's the most crucial stage and I assure you I'll be here. So take some rest, wash up and get some clothes. I'm sure Mr. Doh wouldn't be happy seeing you covered with his blood" Dr. Oh points out with a small smile

 

"I'll come back" 

 

"I'll be here when you come back. We'll move him to his private room" Dr. Oh informed him

 

"VIP" Jongin muttered, he still doesn't know why he's here. He doesn't want to leave Kyungsoo but the doctor was right, he had to go home and change. 

 

"I am aware, Mr. Kim" 

 

"He hates windows, especially the ones close to his bed" he comments, remembering the small detail that Kyungsoo shared one Thursday night

 

"I'll have him moved to the one with lesser windows" 

 

"Thank you" Jongin says softly, feeling the gentle squeeze on the shoulder that the doctor gave him before walking away. 

 

 

--

 

 

Days became weeks and then months. Kyungsoo hasn't woken up, even after he was taken out of his medically induced coma. Jongin eventually had to work for the both of them. Change in management shocked everyone especially when the COO stepped in and told them the bad news. Articles of Doh Enterprise came left and right, some saying that the CEO was in a coma and wouldn't wake up and some saying that he up and left the company. Jongin couldn't let everything that Kyungsoo worked hard for, crumble. So he stayed and worked alongside the COO, making sure that no one would destroy Kyungsoo's legacy. 

 

Everyday he would visit Kyungsoo, hoping that the other would wake up and one fateful night, he did. 

 

As soon as he entered the room, he was surprised to see the man he loves, sitting up and eating jelly as if nothing happened to him, the bandages around his torso says otherwise. 

 

Kyungsoo turned and tilted his head to the side. A small smile bloomed on his lips as he looked at Jongin. All the worries instantly melted away as Kyungsoo smiled a little more. He looked better and calm until he spoke… 

 

"Are you the doctor?" he asks. 

 

Jongin looked confused before he looked at his clothes that actually resembles the outfit of a doctor sans the white coat. 

 

"No, I'm Jongin. Kim Jongin" 

 

Kyungsoo's smile disappeared, eyebrows furrowed and Jongin just wants to kiss the frown away. "Why are you here?" 

 

"What do you mean?" Jongin asks in confusion

 

"You're the new Chief of Finance, right? I just appointed you. Why are you here?" the CEO says again, in a very cold tone. The one that he uses when he's talking about business and when they weren’t close yet. 

 

"Kyungsoo. You were in an accident" Jongin pointed out, he's so confused and he wants to hug Kyungsoo. 

 

They both confessed that time. Or maybe Kyungsoo did most of the confessing part but isn't it obvious that Jongin likes him just as much or maybe even more. 

 

"That's Mr. Doh for you and I am aware that I got into an accident" the CEO pointed out, almost glaring at Jongin as he corrected the younger. 

 

"Do you know what day it is?" Jongin asks, not wanting to step further into the room. He knows that Kyungsoo can easily become uncomfortable around people so he stopped himself from moving 

 

Kyungsoo stopped for a bit, he bit his lip before answering with a very unsure tone. "M-March 16"

 

"It's already February 5" Jongin pointed out quietly. 

 

March 16 was the day they officially met. He got the promotion on March 15 and was told to meet the CEO the next day for a briefing. It was a day that he would never forget. 

 

"What"

 

"So you don't remember me?" 

 

"We haven't met. I was supposed to meet you today!" Kyungsoo answers back, voice a bit louder. 

 

It must've been even more confusing for him. Jongin doesn't know what happened...Kyungsoo covered his head, the doctor assured him that there was no damage in the head. So why can't he remember him… 

 

"For you. It's almost been a year for me" Jongin said quietly, finally lowering his eyes to the floor. 

 

Right now, this is not Jongin and Kyungsoo but Mr. Doh and his employee, Kim Jongin. 

 

"You didn't answer me. Why are you here?" Kyungsoo asks again, his voice maintained but demanding. 

 

"I've been taking care of you since you got into an accident" 'and the months before that' Jongin wants to add 

 

"Why?" 

 

Jongin's head snaps at the question. He wants to be angry at the question. He wants to be mad at the way Kyungsoo asked it. It's like a loaded quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter