Chapter 1

Of Reputation and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” - Jane Austen

And so it is with much excitement that Mrs. Do raced into Mr. Do’s study, eager to share the new gossip. “Mr. Do! Have you heard yet?” Mrs. Do, with a frantic tone, asked, her eyes glinting with suppressed excitement. Mr. Do reluctantly tore his eyes from the morning news, heaving out a small sigh before speaking.

“I do not suppose you will not be the one to tell me, regardless of whether I have heard it or not.” He was correct. Mrs. Do, scarcely able to contain her excitement any longer, burst out: “Someone has rented the penthouse on the 71st floor of the Signiel Residence!” Mr. Do raised his eyebrow, slightly impressed. Valued at around 30 billion won, it was a hefty sum to pay. “The best part is that he is not even 30! That’s simply wonderful news, is it not? They say his last name is Park!” 

“I fail to understand the reasoning behind your immense happiness at his age, however, he cannot be renting it for himself only, surely. It is far too spacious for simply one person… I will admit it is certainly impressive for his age to be able to afford such a luxurious place, but I cannot quite comprehend how this is relevant.” Mrs. Do laughed. 

“Oh, Mr. Do, you truly have no tact! He is said to have two sisters and a friend, but that’s insignificant. This is wonderful because he is perfect for Baekhyun! Just imagine --- Baekhyun wed to a man who is worth billions!” Mr. Do shook his head.

“Logically speaking, a billionaire would be looking to wed within his social circle, no?” 

“Above all, men desire looks, do they not? And once he sees Baekhyun, there is no doubt in my mind that he will not be charmed. Even money cannot shield one from the power of beauty.”

“And while I agree that Baekhyun may have charming looks, what is the chance of the encounter happening at all? Seoul is quite a large city and although we live in the same building, it does not mean anything. I beg of you not to get ahead of yourself. You raise your expectations way too high, my dear,” Mr. Do said firmly. Mrs. Do frowned. 

“I will have you know that he has invited the rest of the apartments, this Saturday, for a party. This will be a most opportune moment for Baekhyun. And to attract him, we need to go shopping.” She looked at him expectantly and with a sigh of resignation, he handed over his card. Mrs. Do clapped her hands, excitedly, before she rushed out of the study as quickly as she had come, shrieking for her daughters to come out. Mr. Do shook his head before simply returning to the morning news, analyzing the stock prices. As a relatively successful businessman himself, Mr. Do was able to afford one of the cheaper apartments of the Signiel, but he was only the head of a small company --- he was far from possessing even a quarter of the wealth or connections of other well known conglomerates, especially fellow residents. Unlike Mrs. Do, however, he was perfectly content with his daughters remaining under his care for several more years, especially when his younger daughters were not out of university yet. But alas, Mrs. Do was determined that her daughters could do better. Taking a sip of coffee, Mr. Do contemplatively looked out the window, but it was not long before he returned to his paper; he was not terribly concerned with Mrs. Do would do --- having been married a long time, he was fairly accustomed to her antics. 

Outside his study, Mrs. Do was shouting at her daughters. “We have to go shopping!” Blearily, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo came out of their shared room, wondering what the commotion was. “Hurry up and get dressed; we have a long day of shopping.” Kyungsoo immediately shook her head, snapping awake at her words. 

“Mother, I have work today. I am meeting an important client, so I apologize if I cannot skip work for an action as trivial as shopping,” Kyungsoo immediately declined. Mrs. Do frowned, a crease forming on her forehead before finally nodding.

“Fine. I only really need Baekhyun anyway.” Baekhyun backed away with a sheepish smile.

“I’m afraid I cannot either --- I have work too, mother. Also, today does not seem appropriate to go on a shopping trip. I apologize but you’ll have to wait until Saturday.” Mrs. Do huffed. 

“I cannot wait until Saturday as you say because the party is Saturday,” Mrs. Do huffed with an indignant tone. 

“Party? Whose?” Baekhyun asked. Mrs. Do beamed. 

“I am glad you asked. It has come to my attention, most recently, that the 71st floor of the Signiel has been rented out -” 

“The 71st floor? Are you sure Mother?” Naeun, the youngest, asked, a gleam in her eyes, having finally come out of her room with Seohyun, and Eunji. Her mother nodded impatiently before continuing. 

“At any rate, I have heard it has been rented to a lovely young fellow who has kindly invited his fellow residents of the Signiel and in order for your dear sister Baekhyun to be able to charm him, we must go shopping for the appropriate attire.” Kyungsoo heaved a sigh. 

“I am certain that our current wardrobe will suffice. Now, if you excus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter