Final

Days with you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura prepared everything for her big event tonight. She cleaned the whole house, she organized her files, she wrote a long letter for her family and some friends, and she deleted and threw away everything that can cause people to think of her as someone with a bad image.

 

 

"Everything is set." Sakura flashed a satisfied smile while scanning her one bedroom apartment. She turns the knob and went out of the house. She walks slowly and went straight to the stairs leading to the rooftop building. Sakura can use the elevator of course, but this time she wants to savour her last moments here in this world.

 

 

 

She hesitated on the last step. "It's here. Don't be scared, it's going to be okay." She whispered to no one. Sakura marches her way to the narrow ledge of the 25th-floor rooftop. She inhaled the cold air of September before she positions herself. She murmurs a silent prayer of forgiveness, she was about to jump, but she got startled when she heard a voice.

 

 

 

"Are you sure about that? No turning back?"

 

 

 

Sakura turns her head, she sees a beautiful girl leaning her back against the wall while her hands are inside the pocket of her leather jacket. The stranger with a rather calm expression casually walks near the narrow ledge to peek at the bottom.

 

 

 

"Tsk." she clicks her tongue and shakes her head “Don't you think it's too cold to die tonight?" the stranger asked with a curious expression.

 

 

 

Sakura takes a good look at the girl, she has the shiniest black hair she had ever seen, her lips are plumped, and her eyes have the softest gaze, she doesn't know who this person at all, and it might sound funny to most people but she feels like she was given comfort by looking at the stranger's eyes.

 

 

 

"You know what? Let's go to the convenience store downstairs." The stranger said casually, she extends her hands to Sakura to help her to come down from the ledge.

 

 

 

The stranger flashes a gorgeous smile and just like that Sakura's plans changed. She lost it. There is something about the stranger that made her say yes and gave up on the thing that she planned for more than six months.

 

 

 

The next thing she knew she was already inside the convenience store, the stranger is humming happily while opening the door of the fridge. She took one small carton of a strawberry yogurt drink and gives it to Sakura with a smile. "Can you buy this? I don't have anything with me right now."

 

 

 

Sakura frowned. She's sure now that the girl asked her to go here to buy something that she wants but the younger girl didn't really mind.

 

 

 

"Well at least someone is talking to me, right? It's not really that bad." she thought.

 

 

 

She walks to the cashier and places the drink on the counter.

 

 

"Is this all?" the employee asks.

 

Sakura turns to her side and asked the stranger. "Is this all you want? Nothing else?" the stranger nods.

 

 

"She said this is all," Sakura replies while pulling out some money from the wallet.

 

 

"He-here’s your change. Ha-have a great night."

 

 

She wonders why the employee turned pale and stammered but then her thoughts were cut short when the stranger pulls her into the empty table at the corner, she slides the drink in front of her. "Try this. This is so good it'll make you feel better."

 

 

 

"Thank you, b- but how about you?"

 

 

 

The younger cursed inwardly because of her stuttering. She was nervous in front of this beautiful girl. It doesn't make sense to her; she was questioning why she was acting like a high school student who was nervous in front of someone she likes.

 

 

 

"Last time I checked, I'm straight." She thought.

 

 

 

"Pst!" The stranger snaps her fingers in front of Sakura's face. "You're thinking too much. Don't worry I had three of these earlier. Now try it."

 

 

Sakura nods.

 

"So why do you want to jump from the rooftop."

 

 

The younger widened her eyes and shush the stranger. She doesn't know why she talks as if committing suicide is a normal thing, she's not sure as to why she’s talking too loud as if she's not afraid to be judged by people around them.

 

 

"Oops, Sorry." she stranger giggles.

 

 

 

Sakura's eyes darted to the high rise building in front of the convenience store and let out a heavy sigh.

 

 

"I honestly don't know. My life is too lonely and boring. It feels like I'm on a never ending loop. The same damn thing over and over again. I'm beyond exhausted."

 

 

"You can always rest. There's no need for you to kill yourself. Don't you have any family?" the stranger asked, her voice was careful and calm.

 

 

Sakura swallowed the imaginary lump on ; she bit her lip just to stop the tears that are threatening in her eyes. She's been alone for 2 years. She only has her sister who rarely visits her because the child is too busy studying. They lost their parents and in a horrendous car accident and because of what happened she had a hard time to open up herself to people. Her loneliness is eating her up day by day.

 

 

"Life is engineered this way. It's surely hard to live. I didn't have that kind of problem but sure my life is just exhausting as yours. By the way, I'm Kwon Eunbi."

 

Sakura didn't answer; she was too tired to utter a single word. If there's the only thing that she wants to do right at this moment then it’s actually to vanish in the face of the Earth.

 

 

 

The girl poked her arm which made her startle. "Hey, don't think too much, everything is going to be alright. What's your name?"

 

 

 

"Miyawaki Sakura," she replies, nonchalantly.

 

 

 

The stranger chuckled which made Sakura turn her head and looked at her. "What? Did I say something funny?"

 

 

 

Eunbi shook her head. "It's just... your name... It represents the beauty of life... Life can be overwhelmingly beautiful but tragically short, you know?"

 

 

 

Eunbi's voice was too soft that she wants to curl up in bed in a fetal position and listen to her voice until she falls asleep. It is really calming.

 

 

 

 "Yes, I heard. My name symbolizes that, but I've never found the beauty of life before." Sakura gives a half-hearted shrug.

 

Eunbi props up on her elbow and looked at her. "My name means silver and gracefulness. Someone told me people are naturally drawn to me. Maybe... you will find the beauty of life to me." she said flashing her most gorgeous and comforting smile.

 

 

"Okay... I'll remember that." she doesn't really understand what the beautiful stranger said, but she doesn't want to be rude and ignore her.

 

 

 

"Yeah, you should. Can I walk you home, Kkura?"

 

 

 

"My name is Sakura." she stood up and marches her way to exit the convenience store.

 

 

 

"Hey hold up." The stranger jogged to catch up with Sakura. "I'm Korean. Sakura is too long. Two syllable names are much easier; it sounds sweet too, right?"

 

 

 

"Sure, whatever" she replies, nonchalantly.

 

 

 

The stranger playfully pulls her arm, it's the very first time she met someone so cheerful. She always thought meeting cheerful people is tiring. They are just so happy that their energy you in and make you more exhausted. But this girl is different. She is cheerful and at the same time comforting.

 

 

"Thanks for tonight, Eun. Also for walking me home."

 

 

 

"No problem at all, Kkura. Go inside. See when I see you!"

 

 

 

Sakura waves goodbye, she smiled genuinely for the first time that night.

 

[•••]

 

Yujin stood in front of unit 319. She's ready to press the door buzzer but her phone suddenly vibrated. She pulls it out and read the text message from her girlfriend.

 

 

"From Wonyo

 

Is everything okay there, babe? Please don't let your heart get shaken. Everything is going to be alright. Do you want me to go there so you have someone with you?"

 

Yujin smiled at the text message. She's very thankful that she has a very understanding girlfriend. She replied and assured her girl that she's gonna be okay and that there's no need to worry.

 

Suddenly the door opens, Sakura squealed when she saw her sister. She gave her a warm hug pulls her inside.

 

 

 

"Why are you wearing formal clothes? Your suit really looks good on you. Is this your new uniform?" Sakura asked excitedly while pouring an orange juice on Yujin's glass.

 

 

 

Yujin let out a heavy sigh; she clenches her fist under the table and tries her best to not let her tears fall.

 

 

 

"Unnie, I'm not in high--"

 

 

 

"Do you want a cake? Hold on, let me just get you one."

 

"Unnie no! I don't want a freaking cake." Yujin screamed, she wasn't able to control her emotions anymore.

 

 

 

Sakura yelps in shock. She lost her grip on the saucer and it shattered on the floor. Both of them staring into each other before Sakura let out an awkward chuckle. "Alright, Yujin. You don't want a cake. Calm down, there's no need to shout at your unnie."

 

 

 

"I'm sorry." Yujin lowers her head, and finally, her tears fell. "Unnie, you need to come with me to Seoul. We should live together, unnie. You don't have to work you're going to get better."

 

 

 

Sakura wondered if there's something wrong with Yujin. Why does she need to get better when she's okay? "I'm not sick, Yujin. Why do you always say that when I'm fine?"

 

 

 

"Unnie, you're going crazy here alone!"

 

 

 

Sakura's face turns dark. She reached her limit. She feels like she's going to explode any time soon, this is the reason why she doesn't want to live with anyone. She is always misunderstood. "Get the out of my house."

 

 

 

Yujin shakes her head and tries to approach her elder sister. "Unnie, don't push me away. Come with me, Kkura unnie, please." she rubbed her hands together, pleading.

 

"Get. The. . Out. Of. My. House." Sakura's voice sounded like thunder. Yujin saw how her sister's body shook. She knows she failed, and maybe she just needs to come back next time again.

 

 

 

"Okay, I'm sorry unnie. I'll go now; I'll come back next week. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm really sorry, unnie." Yujin turns her back, as soon as she got out of the unit, she leans her back against the wall, her right hand is on her chest, feeling her pounding heart, and she let out a deep breath that she's been holding since earlier. "I failed," she  muttered between her sobs.

 

 

 

It took her minutes to calm down; she let out a deep sigh before she pulls out her phone from her pocket to call her secretary. Yujin knows she can't drive at the moment; she has to take care of herself for her sister. She is very aware that she's the only one that her sister needs. She can't leave her no matter what happens.

 

 

 

[•••]

 

 

It was a week later when Sakura crossed paths again with Eunbi. Sakura was drunk and stumbling her way towards the Han River when suddenly someone pulled her arm and dragged her away from the water.

 

 

 

Eunbi cups her cheeks and gaze straight into her eyes, "Kkura, what are you doing here? You're drunk!"

 

 

 

Sakura tries to push her with all her might. "Why do you always show up whenever I wanna do something?!" She yells. Sakura is furious. She feels like she couldn't do anything because everyone has been stopping her.

 

Eunbi tightly wraps her arms around Sakura's body. "Breathe, Kkura. You have to breathe."

 

 

 

She was taken aback. It is the first time in a long time that someone hugged her. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter