Fin

Best Friend

“Wonyoung-ah? Do you think someone will like ‘like’ me?” Ahn Yujin asked the girl through the screen of her phone.

 

The question made the younger girl laugh.

 

“What kind of question is that? You’re the ace of the track and field team in your school. You’ve got so many fangirls.”

 

Yujin just shook her head. “You know what I mean, like they actually like me for me...not the popular girl who’s only popular because she’s in varsity.”

 

“Well, I like you...even if you aren’t the ‘popular girl who’s only popular only because she’s in varsity’. I would still like you.” Wonyoung stated with a smile.

 

Well, of course Yujin being Yujin, she didn’t take it seriously. “Aish. Stop joking around. You’re supposed to like me. You’re my best friend and you know what I mean by like.” 

 

“But it isn’t!” She said with a pout. “I do like you...” Yujin rolled her eyes at the last part.

 

“Yeah. Yeah. I have to go now. It’s past curfew.” Wonyoung deflated as the girl didn’t take her seriously yet again and because she had to say goodbye.

 

“Okay...Goodnight...”

 

Yujin sighed. She didn’t want the call to end but, she still had training in the morning. She couldn’t be tired.

 

”Goodnight, Wonyoung-ah.”

 

With that she ended the call and was immediatley met with a deep slumber.

 

...

 

“Goodnight, Wonyoung-ah.” 

 

Wonyoung got up from her bed and proceeded to open the curtains. Oh, how she hated how the sun blinded her eyes as soon as she pulled the two pieces of cloth to the side.

 

She groans.

 

She hates mornings especially with the fact that her best friend wasn’t with her.

 

It’s been two months since she had to leave South Korea because of her parents work. She wanted to stay but her parents didn’t let her. They had to stay in the U.S. for 3 months and it was to long of a time period to leave her alone in their house.

 

“Only a few weeks left...” She muttered to herself.

 

She didn’t hate it in the U.S. in fact, she was fine with spending a few days of summer there and she also had no problem with the language, since she went to an English School before and knew a little bit. The problem was that she had to spend all of her summer break (and miss the starting week of her school year) away from her friends and the only thing she could do was call them throughout those few months.

 

She sighed and plopped down in bed.

 

Grabbing her phone, she clicked on the basketball app that she was recently addicted to and started playing it.

 

After winning a few games an invite was sent to her.

 

DuckyChoi003

 

“Oh. Yena Unnie is online.” She spoke to herself.

 

Accepting the invite she gets redirected to a game and she picks her character.

 

After winning and losing (mostly losing) she quits the game and calls Yena.

 

After a few rings the call was answered.

 

“Hello? Wonyoung, Why did you call?” The duck on the other line answered.

 

“Unnie. I have a question.” Yena hummed. “Is this something about Yujin?”

 

Wonyoung sighed (Yet again). “Yeah. How did you know?”

 

”I may be dumb but I am not oblivious.” Wonyoung giggled. “So you accept what Yujin said, that you’re dumb?”

 

”Eh. I’ll deny I ever agreed. But I am dumb...for Jo Yuri.” Wonyoung rolled her eyes.

 

”Ugh, stop lowkey flirting in front of me. I know Yuri Unnie is with you.” Wonyoung crunched her face in disgust as she heard a giggle that wasn’t her or Yena’s voice.

 

”I knew it...” She mumbled.

 

“Anyways, what were you going to ask me?”

 

”Has Yujin met anyone new this summer?” The question took the duck by surprise because as far as she knew Yujin hadn’t.

 

”No, none that I know of. Why ask?” 

 

“She asked me if someone will like her which was weird because I haven’t been with her this summer, so why would I know?”

 

The line is silent for a few seconds.

 

“Maybe, she likes someone..?” Yena answers unsure with what she said.

 

”Ya! Yena-!” Wonyoung heard Yuri shout through the phone but then was cut off with silence.

 

Wonyoung felt her heart clench at the thought of Yujin liking another person but...it wasn’t impossible. Should she confess? Before what she fears actually happens?

 

Why even try? She brushed off your confession awhile ago as a joke...she only thinks of you as a best friend.

 

She deserves someone better than you. Don’t make a fool out of yourself.

 

Wonyoung knew that she shouldn’t listen to that voice in her head but she couldn’t not listen...not when she thinks it’s true.

 

You’re just a best friend.

 

”Wonyoung-ah? Sorry about that. Forget I ever said anything.” The duck says snapping her out of it.

 

“A-Anyways, it’s almost 1 o’clock in the morning, I have to go!” Wonyoung doesn’t know how long the line was on mute but she’s definitely sure that Yuri scolded Yena for saying what she said and probably watching every word she’s saying.

 

“Okay, Unnie. Goodnight.”

 

With a laugh she answers back “Goodnight.” Then the call ends.

 

Just a best friend...

 

...

 

After a few weeks she had finally gone back to South Korea, but in those few weeks Yujin didn’t contact  her. She had asked her Unnies about Yujin but they didn’t know anything either.

 

That’s why as soon as she got home she went to Yujin’s house which was on the other side of the street.

 

”Ahn Yujin!” She banged on the door.

 

Her so called best friend didn’t even fetch her from the airport and didn’t talk to her for a few weeks. She wasn’t getting away with doing that.

 

Wonyoung also had something to confess...something that could ruin everything for her...

 

(Let’s just say Yena is responsible for that^)

 

The door opened, she was ready to shout but instead of Ahn Yujin, she was answered by an older Ahn.

 

”O-Oh... Im so sorry, Ms.Ahn!” The mother of her best friend laughed at her.

 

“I thought that Yujin would be here...”

 

”It’s okay, Wonyoung. Yujin’s at your dorms.” She smiled at the younger girl.

 

”Oh, okay! Thank you!” She said and waved goodbye.

 

She walked to the other street going home. She could bombard Yujin with questions tomorrow when she went to their dorm.

 

...

 

Wonyoung arrived at their dorm. Yujin was her roommate so she won’t be having any problems with finding the girl.

 

She inserted the key into the door and with a twist a soft ‘click’ was heard indicating the door had opened.

 

”Yujinnie?” Wonyoung said softly.

 

“Wonyoung-ah?” The door was halfway open when she heard a voice behind her back. 

 

She knew that voice...the voice that she hadn’t heard of for a few weeks, she wanted to see her face so...she turned around ready to tell her everything...

 

But Yujin wasn’t alone.

 

Two people stood in front of her.

 

”Oh...Hello.” She waved at the brown haired girl.

 

”Hi.”

 

Silence consumed the hallway the three were at, realizing the awkwardness Yujin speaks up.

 

”Wonyoung...this is Kim Minjoo. A senior.” Minjoo lifted her arm for a handshake and Wonyoung gladly took it.

 

”This is Jang Wonyoung.”

 

”This is the last of the tour, right?” Yujin nods her head at Minjoo’s question.

 

”I guess I’ll go now. See you around, Yujin. You too Wonyoung.” She smiled and bid goodbye.

 

After the senior left, Wonyoung sent soft punches to Yujin.

 

”What are you doing?” She asked.

 

”You idiot! Why weren’t you answering my calls!” Yujin scratched her head.

 

”Oh yeah...sorry about that. I had to practice...” Wonyoung gave her a pout.

 

”Why didn’t you call me at night..?” 

 

“I was tired.” Yujin averted her gaze from Wonyoung. Being the best friend Wonyoung is, she knew that when Yujin did that she was lying.

 

”Not gonna work on me...” Yujin sighs in defeat.

 

”The girl awhile ago...” Wonyoung felt her heart race.

 

I told you...she doesn’t even like you...she never will...

 

“What about her?”

 

”I...just... I’ll talk about it another time!” Yujin then ran into their room leaving Wonyoung outside.

 

...

 

Unfortunately, Wonyoung never got her answer. Instead Yujin just avoided the topic whenever she would bring it up that’s why Wonyoung never brought it up anymore.

 

Surprisingly, the senior that Yujin introduced to her got close to her group of friend and so did she.

 

”I like Minjoo Unnie...”

 

Woyoung felt her heart stop.

 

”R-Really?” 

 

They were eating in the cafeteria when Yujin said it.

 

”Yeah. Should I confess to her?”

 

Tell her no and you’ll just expose yourself.

 

“I don’t know...It’s your choice.” She felt like crying.

 

’Maybe if I confessed...’

 

Maybe if..? Even if you did something it wouldn’t change anything.

 

Wonyoung hated the voice in her head and how it got to her.

 

”I’ll confess tomorrow...” Yujin said nervously. “You’ll support me, right?

 

And Wonyoung did.

 

Doing what she did best, being Ahn Yujin’s best friend.