Thank you, I guess

That One Time

Ppallippalli pihae right cherry bomb feel it yum

Ppallippalli pihae right cherry--

BONK.

Monday, 7:00 AM

It was just another Monday for Kim Hyunjin. And Mondays are for school announcements which start at 7:30. She decides to sleep on it for 5 minutes. But of course, who wants to go to school at 7:30? Well, most students don't, but Hyunjin's mother does. "IF I DON'T SEE YOU HERE DOWNSTAIRS IN YOUR UNIFORM WITHIN 10 MINUTES, THEN FORGET ABOUT BREAKFAST, HYUNJIN." is what she shouted. Her mother's the Dean of her school so it's pretty reasonable for them to be early at school. Hyunjin didn't have to reply since she's always "bound" to have breakfast, anyway. Nevertheless, she didn't take advantage fo the situation, of course. 

Hyunjin came down a while later, maybe 15 minutes after that, not ten. Today's an exception, we can't blame her. "Mom, can I--" Her mother expected this, sort of. "Take the sandwich and just eat it on the way to school. There'd better be no leftovers." Hyunjin just grinned at her, something that said "hehe i love you too mom". On her way to school, Hyunjin's phone rang. "I'm guessing that's your friend, Hyunjin." Her mother seemed to notice it first. "Oh, yeah. It's Chaewon. I should answer this." 

(Chaewon's italicized while Hyunjin's not)

"Hello, same-aged friend."

"Oi, Kim Hyunjin. Where are you?"

"On my way to school, having breakfast."

"Is this because of the 10-minute deal with your mother?"

"Yep, it is. Anyway, what's up?"

"I am, ahihi"

"What in the poltergeist's world are you talking about?"

"I think my crush likes me too."

"Pfft. How would you know?"

"Could you at least show me your excitement in this situation? Your best friend's lovelife's blooming, dude."

"I'm just reassuring. Oh wait. We're almost there."

"And the school's starting to do their thing during Monday mornings. Better be here before that happens. See you."

Hyunjin ended the call as she also had finished her breakfast. A minute or two, they arrived at the campus, just in time for the school announcements. She parted with her Mom and proceeded to the school grounds. Hyunjin wasn't in the mood to rush so she took her time to get there. She was hoping she could be with Chaewon while walking. Unfortunately, even morning announcements are done, she didn't. She was looking for her in a crowd wearing the same uniform as them, how's she supposed to find her? The school bell already rang. She stopped for a minute to call her. Then that's when another person had the chance to grab her by the hand to drag her away. Man, she wasn't ready for this.

Hyunjin was about to break hell into whoever this damn person is. "What do you think y--" The person who dragged her into this was quite exhausted of what they had done. He was still huffing. "Dude, you shouldn't drag girls if you can't handle your stamina well." Hyunjin gave him a water bottle after giving him that warning. He drank from it as if he was desperately begging for water. Oh, wait. He was. "T-thank you." He managed to talk after getting rehydrated. Stay hydrated, folks. "Care to explain?" Hyunjin immediately got straight to the point. She definitely knows this guy. He is Mark Lee, Chaewon's crush. "I-i'm so sorry for d-dragging you out h-here so s-suddenly. M-my name's Mark Lee from Class 4-B.I-im y-your senior." Mark was looking nervous and sweaty just like getting last place on a marathon. Hyunjin was paying attention to him and as Mark saw this, he did manage to calm himself down for a bit, at least. "I-i'll be graduating soon a-and I just can't leave this place without d-doing this so h-here it goes." Hyunjin was already confused. Just how important is this thing to him and why would she be involved? Mark was already getting fidgety and his face is flushed red. Hyunjin started believing what Chaewon said earlier. She thought that maybe he was asking her for help on getting in contact with Chaewon. So she payed all her attention to the guy. "K-kim H-hyunjin, I-i like y-you!" 

There wasn't any response from Kim Hyunjin. Her face froze. Her emotions were rock-hard. Her body seemed to be paralyzed. Her brain stopped working. Hyunjin didn't know what to do. He is Hyunjin's best friend's crush. And Hyunjin definitely doesn't have any feelings for this guy. Heck, he isn't even her type. She was thinking of all the ways she could get out of this mess without changing anything at all. But none of her ideas were plausible and realistic enough to happen in her current situation. If she's gonna turn him down, Chaewon's definitely gonna feel awkward if she knows about this. If she makes an excuse this early, it would be too weird or he'll just follow her instead and keep on pestering her. And this confession's definitely staying the way it is. She felt completely screwed. If only a miracle could happen, right here, right now.

During that same moment, a pencil dropped from the building right next to where they are and touched Mark's arm the slightest that it startled him. It made him stumble on the ground and scream. Well, let's not blame the guy. He was very nervous and got freaked out. Hyunjin picked the pencil from the ground and looked up to where it came from. As she looked up, she realized that the pencil came from a classroom which obviously having first period on the third floor. She caught a student whose seat is right next to a window peeked. "U-um, I-i h-have t-to g-go. I-i'll talk to y-you l-later." Hyunjin almost forgot that Mark was still there. He ran away, probably out of nervousness. 

Hyunjin does hope they'll never meet again and she plans on thanking this person who dropped the pencil. And man, she was so late for first period.

Lunch came by too slow, as how Hyunjin would describe it. She and Chaewon are of the same class so obviously she had to deal with her. Hyunjin was almost as nervous as Mark when talking to Chaewon. Hyunjin was still contemplating on whether she should tell this to Chaewon or not. Obviously she should, but probably not now. She was still looking for the right time when. Hyunjin eases her nervousness just enough to lose Chaewon's suspicion on her. "Why were you late for first period, Hyunjin? I know our campus has lots of Pokemons but were you really that excited to catch them all?" Chaewon finally asked Hyunjin's million-dollar question. "A-ah, no. My mother needed help w-with her paperwork." Hyunjin realized that students don't do the Dean's paperwork. "You're really a bad and dumb liar, Hyunjin. Bet your mother gave you another scolding, huh? Pfft, you don't need to hide it from me. It's so typical of a Kim Hyunjin." Chaewon just laughed while Hyunjin had no choice but to pretend that she got it right. 

As they ate in the school canteen, Hyunjin cannot stop fidgeting on the pencil that saved her, kind of. She was thinking of how to thank this person. She had barely touched her food. "It's unusual for you not to eat, Hyunjin." Chaewon broke her train of thoughts. It wasn't like Hyunjin had no appetite for lunch. She just wanted to meet her so-called savior ASAP. So Hyunjin stood up and forgot about lunch. Well, she brought a croissant, just in case. "Hey, I need to go somewhere. You can have my lunch and don't wait for me, babe." Hyunjin said as she added a wink in the end which made Chaewon roll her eyes because her best friend left her alone. "YOU'RE LEAVING ME ALONE AGAIN, KIM HYUNJIN."

Hyunjin's classroom was practically on the same damn floor where the pencil came from and she just realized it now. She was sure that it definitely didn't came from their room since Mark brought her to a place right next to a corner of the building. So she went to the room near the stairs. There weren't a lot of people in that class since it's lunch break though she did manage to see a person sitting near a window. There were three seats near a window and as Hyunjin observed, the first and last seats were empty like the people owning those seats are absent or probably non-existent. The one in the middle had a person, though. Hyunjin thought that she may be the owner of this pencil so she came right to her. Hyunjin was famous in her school since, not just because her mother's the Dean, but because of her crazy world-stopping visuals, as how people describe it, so she's like a big deal of all of the students but she only know a few of them. And this person was like the many. "Excuse me, is this pencil yours?" Hyunjin came up to her and showed her the pencil. The girl nodded and took the pencil from her hand, not in a rude way though but shyly. "T-thank you." The girl managed to say it in front of her. "No, I should be the one thanking you. Hehe." Hyunjin made the girl confused because of what she said. "What do you mean?" Hyunjin told her the whole thing about what happened earlier. They were laughing, definitely not like how two strangers interact. It was very unusual for a first meeting to be this natural. Their conversation's flowing and their personalities' matching. They just clicked with each other. Hyunjin blabbered everything and yet forgot to introduce herself. The bell rang, lunch time is over, next period is coming up. "Oh, sorry. I've been talking to you this whole time I didn't notice. Did you have your lunch though?" The other girl just laughed slightly and shook her head. "It's okay. I didn't mind talking to you, anyway." Hyunjin felt guilty since the other girl didn't have lunch so she gave her the croissant she brought all the way here. "Have this, at least. Oh, and I'm Kim Hyunjin. It was really nice meeting you." Hyunjin dashed right out the room and ran to her class. The girl just chuckled at her, realizing that she hadn't introduced herself to Hyunjin. "Thank you, I guess." It made her smile, thinking that not only just Hyunjin gave her favorite type of her favorite food but because she had never once enjoyed this much of a conversation this short. Hyunjin's the reason why all their croissants get sold out.

Hyunjin missed a once in a blue moon event that would probably made her smile the rest of her life.

Classes are finally over but Chaewon can't stop pestering Hyunjin about why is she acting so unusual that day. "KIM HYUNJIN, CAN YOU AT LEAST TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOU????" Hyunjin kept recalling their moment with the girl who "saved" her and kept on smiling like an idiot. "H-huh?? Nothing. Nothing's going on." She said as she sighed blissfully. "Yeah, right. Nothing my . Come o--" Hyunjin didn't let Chaewon finish because her curiosity of knowing that girl got ahead. "Do you..." Hyunjin was about to ask if she knows that girl but really had no general information about her. The gods kept switching sides with her that day. "Do I what? Seriously, Hyunjin. I'm starting to get annoyed with you. I'd really dump you for spicy rice cakes." Chaewon was starting to get pissed at Hyunjin and Hyunjin didn't want that to happen because the last time she did, Chaewon didn't talk to her for a week until she bought her lots of it to her house. "Okay, okay. It's j-just that I m-met someone earlier." Hyunjin was so nervous about it. "YOU'RE FINALLY HAVING A BOYFRIEND. OH MY GOD YOUR MOTHER HAS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS" Chaewon was so damn excited. "SHE'S just a friend." Emphasizing the gender, Hyunjin made Chaewon calm down. "But wait, weren't you at school this whole time? Don't tell me you secretly sneaked out." Chaewon still had her doubts about her friend. "Obviously she's someone from the school, dummy." Hyunjin laughed at Chaewon. "What made you all smiley, then?" Just as Hyunjin was about to answer Chaewon, she saw the girl walking outside the building. "I-i gotta go. I'll call you later, Chaewon." Hyunjin hurriedly ran towards the girl, leaving Chaewon behind again. "REALLY, FOR THE SECOND TIME TODAY???" Chaewon didn't get how Hyunjin got entangled in this mess and who is this friend of hers.

Hyunjin grabbed the chance of getting to know this girl. It's just that Hyunjin had never felt so comfortable talking to someone except for Chaewon. "Hi there." She said as she tilted her head and flashed her cute smile. The girl got slightly surprised and her face flushed. It wasn't like she got embarrased but because she thought Hyunjin was cute, flashing that smile of hers. "Y-you know, you shouldn't s-startle me like t-that." Hyunjin walked right next to her as they continued the conversation. "Hehe, sorry about that. But I believe you owe me something." This time, the girl is confused and for whatever it is that she owed her, she felt embarrased about not returning the favor. Hyunjin saw her ears getting red all of a sudden. "Oh, I actually meant your name, nothing else." Hyunjin chuckled at her. "Jeon Heejin." She managed to speak. Heejin had never felt for embarrased in her entire life that she had to look away yet Hyunjin just had to speak her thoughts out. "Pretty just like you." Both of them were surprised of what Hyunjin said. The cheesiness creeped up into Heejin's face that she had to cover it with her hands. "S-stop i-it. I-it's e-embarrasing." Heejin said as she totally stopped in her tracks because she can't handle the sudden compliment that it made her let out a cute giggle. "I-i'm e-embarrased as well, sooo" Hyunjin scratched her nape and looked away but she just managed to laugh it off as it also calmed Heejin down. "You're peculiar, Kim Hyunjin." That made Hyunjin curious. "How come?" 

"Well, I accidentally threw my pencil while playing with it during class and you picked it up to return it to me. Most people would just leave it there but you really had to go all that trouble to return it to me. You're treating me as your "savior" when I practically did nothing on impulse at all. Now, it's all weird because I don't know why we get along so well. You're not bad as a friend, though. I like funny people." Heejin said in all honesty. Hyunjin was somehow touched by what she said. It made her face turn red. "I most certainly didn't expect to meet someone like you in that manner." Heejin added and flashed a smile towards Hyunjin. Hyunjin swore in all God's gift of honesty, her heartbeats' are getting faster and louder every single second. She had to feel it herself. Heejin noticed Hyunjin's gesture of somehow feeling her chest like it was in pain. "Hey, are you okay?" Heejin was worried. She went closer to Hyunjin and observed her. "Your face is red. Are you sick?" Heejin, that definitely didn't help at all. 

"Is your place far from here?" Heejin was planning on walking Hyunjin home because she was really concerned of Hyunjin. Hyunjin was taken aback from what Heejin asked. Her face still red and her heartbeat's still at the same pace, Hyunjin answered, "J-just a bit. I-i have to take a bus." She didn't really want Heejin to walk her home. Hyunjin wants to walk Heejin home. "Will you be alright going home alone, Hyunjin?" Hyunjin melted at how Heejin called her by her name. She doesn't know why she's being like that but she couldn't deny how attractive Heejin is. "Y-yeah. B-but how about y-you?" Hyunjin mustered up courage to ask her that. Heejin just giggled at Hyunjin's nervousness. Hyunjin was too obvious. I mean, how could she not notice her? "Yeah, my place is just a few blocks from here. I'll be okay." Hyunjin slightly frowned at her reply and Heejin noticed this. Heejin smiled at Hyunjin and said, "Can I borrow your phone?" Hyunjin didn't even ask why and just gave Heejin her phone. Heejin saved her number in Hyunjin's phone and saved Hyunjin's number in her phone then gave it back to her. "There you go. I'll text you when I get home. Do the same for me as well. So don't worry now, okay? Bye, Hyunjin." Although Hyunjin is taller, Heejin patted her on the head. She left first, waving Hyunjin goodbye. Hyunjin still can't process what was going on and just froze in place for a few seconds before waving goodbye to Heejin as well. She had never felt so accomplished in her whole entire life before.

Hyunjin can't stop smiling as she realizes that she likes Heejin more than she's ever liked anyone before.