Act I

Flowers Always Bloom and Stars Never Fade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon puffed from the cigarette she had on her hands. She held the smoke in her lungs for a few seconds before letting it all out. Grey smoke filled her room. She could die from suffocation if only her window pane isn't open. It's the only source of her fresh air. She's even contemplating whether to close it and just succumb into her demons. The nagging she'll hear from Hyewon once she arrives made her think twice though. 

 

With that in mind, she killed the fire of her cigarette by pressing her fingertips on the lit end. She let her skin get burned. She felt pain and then nothing. She felt numbed. She sighs and left the bed to look out the window. It's spring, the flowers growing in the neighbor's garden looked vibrant and alive. Nothing like how she lives her life, dull and ending. 

 

Chaewon won't admit it but it took her by surprise to see someone come out of her neighbor's house. She seems to be new in the household, probably staying for spring break. Chaewon dare say that the stranger is adorable, she has this innocent smile plastered on her face with her eyes disappearing as she does so. Not a few minutes later, Yena emerged. She guided the stranger as they walked on the flower path. That's the time Chaewon notices the cane this stranger is holding. It made sense to her that this person could be blind. 

 

She looks away when she hears a knock. She panics and stumbles upon opening the door. It's Hyewon with a tray of food on her hands. Chaewon didn't notice that it's already past noon. She let Hyewon enter without uttering a word. 

 

"Your room reeks of smoke Won. Don't even get me started on the way you look," Hyewon nags. 

 

Hyewon is her older sister. Well more of like an adopted sister. She was adopted by Hyewon's parents when she was young. She only agreed to it because the Kang's seems to be nice and she wants to leave the hell hole she's been living in. They tried hard to deal with her as she grew up. They dressed her well and fed her good food. They made sure she received the best education but good things must come to an end. Mr. Kang died from a car accident a few years ago. Mrs. Kang is left to raise their three children. Being the only adopted one in the family, Chaewon offered to quit school. Of course, Mrs. Kang refused but Chaewon took matters into her own hands and stopped going to school anyway. 

 

Five years later, Hyewon graduated law school and is now a lawyer. Wonyoung is in her final year of high school. As for Chaewon, she roamed around the streets all those years and picked up a lot of bad habits along the way. She learned how to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, and even did drugs a couple of times. When Hyewon became a full time lawyer, she kept Chaewon and Wonyoung under her wings. Keeping them under her wings also meant following her rules, Chaewon is now forbidden to get close to her old folks. Hyewon monitored her closely in case she falls back to her old habits. The only thing Chaewon can't stop now is smoking. She told Hyewon that if she can't do it then might as well leave the house.

 

"How many times do I have to tell you to smoke in the backyard instead?" Hyewon is not mad, she's just worried about Chaewon. The younger girl raised her hand in defeat and picked up her box of cigarettes to head out. 

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"You told me to smoke outside so I'm going there."

 

"Kang Chaewon, don't pull that card on me. Eat first then go do whatever you'd like to do," Hyewon pulled back Chaewon by tugging her sleeves. She made her sit down on her bed before handing the tray of food to her. Chaewon sighs dramatically before taking it.

 

"Hyewon, by any chance do you know who's the new girl?" Chaewon's mood swings are classified the worst of the worst. She could be planning your murder then in a minute or so she's already giddy and smiles. 

 

Hyewon grins at Chaewon's question as she wiggles her eyebrows. Chaewon ignores the way her sister's eyes pierces through her. She had this teasing look that wants Chaewon to admit what she has in mind.

 

"I don't want you to meet the new girl, you might corrupt her." 

 

Chaewon looks offended. She pouts as she eats her food. Hyewon wrapped her arm around Chaewon in a teasing manner. "Isn't she pretty?" Hyewon says.

 

"She is," Chaewon quickly agrees.

 

"Well she's got a girlfriend so back off," Hyewon laughs. 

 

"What?" Chaewon eyes widen with this new found information. "Are you sure?" Chaewon asks. Hyewon bobs her head up and down slowly. Chaewon looked defeated and what Hyewon could only do is pat her head.

 

"Y'know Yujin? Wonyoung's playmate?"

 

"Old playmate. Wonyoung can't stand her now. Seeing her meters away makes Wonyoung want to kill the poor girl."

 

"Right. She's the girlfriend though," Hyewon sings-song. 

 

"Okay, I also want to kill her," Chaewon grits her teeth and looks at the window.

 

"Thought so," Hyewon chuckles. 

 

Chaewon downs her food quickly and abruptly stands up. "Why is she staying at Yujin's house though?" Chaewon asks. She puts the tray on her night stand and proceeds to hover around her window.

 

"She's in her second year of college, like how you're supposed to be. But she's on a break and apparently, Minju's parents are trusting enough to let her stay here. I think they were childhood friends before Minju moved away since she lost her eyesight."

 

Chaewon takes all this information in. She keeps in mind the girl's name, Minju. Such a pretty name for a pretty woman like her. She and Yena just came back from who knows where. Minju seemed to look at her window and she's dumb enough to wave at her. She slowly stopped after realizing that she's an idiot to wave her hands at a blind person. Hyewon laughs and Chaewon sends her a glare.

 

"Can we invite them over for dinner?" Chaewon looks at her with pleading eyes. Hyewon returned it with an unsure one. "I dunno Won, Wonyoung might kill Yujin," Hyewon says. 

 

As if Wonyoung knows her name's been mentioned, she appeared out of nowhere. With a bunch of books in tow, she's checking up on Chaewon. She's surprised to see Hyewon in her room though. 

 

"Why are you two bonding without me?" Wonyoung pouts. Hyewon gestures her over and pats the extra space on the bed with Chaewon still standing over the window. Wonyoung drags her feet and sits beside her. 

 

"Wonyoung, if we invite Yujin and her cousin over will you be okay with that?" Hyewon asks. Wonyoung's eyebrows are furrowed. Chaewon knows what Wonyoung will be answering but she's hoping otherwise.

 

"But before you answer, Chaewon has a crush on this new kid which is Yujin's girlfriend. I know we don't support cheating in relationships but it's been awhile since Chaewon had a crush on someone," Hyewon adds.

 

"Wait you have a crush on Minju unnie? That's cute but you ain't good for her. Also who said she's Yujin's girlfriend. Yujin's too dumb to get a girlfriend," Wonyoung rambled in seconds. It took a lot of effort from Chaewon to decipher what Wonyoung just said. She beamed when she finally processed Wonyoung's words. 

 

"You heard that Kwangbae? She's not Yujin's girlfriend," Chaewon has this smug smile on her face after saying that. "Let's invite them over, I'll keep Wonyoung from murdering the poor girl," Chaewon adds with finality. 

 

___

 

Hyewon convinced the neighbors to come over by talking to their guardian, Eunbi, who is also her boss. By seven in the evening, Yujin, Yena, and Minju are at their doorstep. Wooyoung welcomed them inside. Chaewon is taking too long as she decided to freshen up at the last minute, even when Hyewon teased that Minju won't see her efforts. 

 

Yujin hides behind Yena, who is assisting Minju inside. Wonyoung has a glare fixated on her. Hyewon cut off the tension by ushering them to the dining area. She ordered Chinese take out. They're all adults but none of them can cook in their household. Right in time, Chaewon appears. She wore her classic leather pants and plain white tee. 

 

"You look cool as always Chae," Yena praises her. Minju kept quiet and Yujin is ducking her head, she's been forced to sit in front of Wonyoung. "Thanks duck, I'll teach you some things so you can finally get the hamster," Chaewon smiles. She took a seat in front of Minju. 

 

"Don't even bother Won," Hyewon says. Chaewon pretended to look hurt but her sister ignored it. "You're corrupting the kids," she shrugs. 

 

"Minju, I haven't introduced you to my idol Chaewon," Yena introduces her. Chaewon kept her cool and presented her hands for a handshake. She withdrew it upon realizing for the third time that Minju's blind. She hears Wonyoung snicker and gives her a light hit on the thigh. The snicker turned into a wild laughter from the youngest girl followed by Yujin and Hyewon's low chuckles. Yena tries her best not to laugh to explain the situation to a confused Minju.

 

"She tried to offer her hand for a handshake," Yena tells. Upon understanding the situation, Minju offered her hand. 

 

"Hello Chaewon, I'm Kim Minju. It's nice to meet you."

 

Minju's voice matched well with her angelic features. It took a few seconds before Chaewon could respond to Minju. She awkwardly takes the hand and shakes it gently. 

 

"It's nice to meet you too."

 

Hyewon's voice cut off the contact of Minju and Chaewon's hands. "So how long are you planning to stay here Minju?" She asked.

 

Chaewon is too giddy to keep up with the conversation the whole dinner. By the end of it, Hyewon asked if the adults wanted wine. Yujin and Wonyoung were left to have sodas. They sat in the fireplace having a chat. Eunbi had joined them too since Yena told her to come over. 

 

Since Chaewon is drinking some meds and is not up to breaking her streak of soberness she invited Minju outside who also doesn't like drinking. Surprisingly, Minju accepted it without much of a refusal. They sat on the big swing, Hyewon had set up for Wonyoung when she got the house. Chaewon steals glances from Minju from time to time. They weren't saying anything, they were just sitting there. The red hair finally got enough of it.

 

"Would you mind if I smoke?"

 

Minju is taken by surprise but nods her head. Chaewon takes out her cigarette and lit it. She took a few puffs before deciding to start the conversation.

 

"Why did you choose to be here?"

 

"What do you mean?" Minju asked. She had this innocent look that really takes Chaewon's breath away. Quite literal in a sense, because she coughed up when Minju smiled after.

 

"I mean why did you decide to spend your vacation here?" Chaewon clears her question. 

 

"I used to live here before I lost my sight. Back then, only Yena, Yujin, and I were the kids in this town. We played a lot outside and did a lot of other things too. I started to lose my vision slowly day by day, until one day I just can't see anymore. Staying here had been too painful for me so I asked my parents if we could stay at our grandparents' house instead. Thinking back, I was acting like a coward but I've accepted my situation now. To prove that to myself, I convinced my parents to stay here until the end of my break."

 

"Well I wish I could be the same," Chaewon mutters.

 

"Why? What's your story?" Minju asks.

 

Chaewon wonders if she should tell her or not. She stares at Minju and she's really waiting for her to answer. Chaewon succumbs and tells her story.

 

"Mine is quite simple. I was born sad and grew up sad. I'm still sad." Chaewon hadn't realized she already had smoked three sticks in the thirty minutes they've been talking. When she looked at her cigarette box it had no more left. She tries her best not to curse for forgetting to buy a new one. 

 

"Oh come on, have you ever not been sad?" Minju asks again. Chaewon looks back through her memories and thinks about it. There is no memory she's genuinely happy and so she has an answer.

 

"None, nada, never."

 

Minju pouts. "That's sad," she says.

 

"It is, but I've grown to live with it," Chaewon shrugs. She takes a lollipop from her pocket and on it instead. 

 

"You smell like mint by the way," Minju mumbles out of nowhere. Chaewon blushes at this. She's glad that Minju can't see her now.

 

"What's the color of your hair?" Minju asks afterwards. Chaewon clears , afraid she'd stutter if she doesn't. "It's dyed red," she says.

 

"So your hair is dyed red and you smell like mint," Minju smiles. "I can sense you like to wear leather pants, plain white tees, and boots too," Minju adds. Chaewon chuckles because that's exactly what she's wearing.

 

"Yep," Chaewon admits.

 

"Wow, I didn't expect Yena's idol to be this type." Chaewon doesn't know if that's supposed to sound offensive or not but she takes her chances. "What exactly is my type?" Chaewon asks.

 

"Cool but I guess kind type?" 

 

Chaewon laughs genuinely for the first time in her life.

 

"Did I just make the person who was born sad laugh out loud? Wow, I'm impressed at my skills," Minju utters.

 

Chaewon's laughter only died down when Eunbi emerged from the back door. She's picking up Minju. It's already midnight from what she's heard from her. She didn't realize they've been talking that long.

 

"I'll meet with you tomorrow Chaewon," Minju smiles at her.

 

"I hope to meet you tomorrow too. I'd knock on your door at nine even if you're not awake," Chaewon says. She's sort of joking but at the same time serious. She's glad to hear Minju's answer though.

 

"I'll wait for you," Minju beams.

 

___

 

Chaewon stayed true to her words and knocked on the Ahn's door when the clock ticked nine. Yena opened it with a groggy face, it lit up when she realized who it was. "Chae!" Yena exclaimed. She fussed around trying to make their visitor comfortable as Minju is still upstairs. 

 

"I didn't know you'll be paying us a visit," Yena says. She con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter