The Secret Admirer

Post-Its
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There it is, again.

Another post-it note.

I looked around. Whoever stuck the note on my coffee mug couldn't have gotten far.

Our department is small, located at the fifteenth floor of a 30-story building, a few doors away from the executive's office. It will be easy to spot anyone coming in who isn't from our team.

I was only gone from my desk for less than a minute to hand a folder to our new intern. Clearly, there was no way anyone could have stuck a post-it on my mug without being noticed.

To my utter disappointment, I didn't find anyone near my desk, or anyone acting suspicious. Everyone was just busy doing their own thing. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Chae, have you seen anyone come by at my desk while I was gone?" I asked my coworker who has been working beside me for as long as I can remember.

"Were you gone?" She thought for a while, and then shook her head. "I don't think so."

Exactly. I didn't feel like I left my desk, either. So where did this new post-it note come from? Unbelievable.

I've been seeing post-it notes everywhere for more than a week now, and I still haven't caught the culprit. At first, I found it really cute. But, now, it was becoming more of a challenging feat.

A thought suddenly crossed my mind. Could my secret admirer be Lee Chaeyeon? I've know her for three years now. Could it be her? She could have easily stuck it on.

I turned my gaze towards her desk next to mine, checking if I could get a glimpse of the familiar pink stack of post-its, but all I could see were either black or gray items. Not a tiny splash of bright color, save for her glowing computer screen.

I looked at the post-it, again. This time, it simply said, "Hi, good day! Enjoy your coffee! :)"

Although it was a bit annoying, since I still couldn't tell who it was from, the note managed to make me smile.

I was about to bring the mug to my lips, when I realized that my coffee has already gone cold, so I decided to make myself a new one.

 

 

 

I stood up and walked to the pantry. Kim Chaewon, my boss, was busy stirring her own cup.

"Minjoo," she acknowledged my presence with a smile.

"Hi," I said, returning the smile, albeit a shy one. "I'm here to make coffee."

"I see, but didn't you just make one earlier?"

Wait. How did she know that? I was pretty sure I made that coffee before she even arrived.

"I mean, I saw one on your desk."

She saw the coffee on my desk? Could Chaewon be my secret admirer?

I let out a nervous laugh. "It has gone cold. I thought I should make a fresh cup."

She gave me a small nod and another smile. "Oh. Well, then. I should go now. Enjoy your coffee!"

With that, she left the room.

Could it really be my boss? But how? Why? Since when? I admit, my boss sometimes gives me extra attention. Even my colleagues have noticed it. But I didn't think she'd be the kind to leave post-it notes on the most random of places. Yesterday, there was even one on my car.

I went back to my desk, still mulling over the idea that someone in my department has actually taken an interest in me, but would't reveal her self.

I was just about ready to fire up my computer when I saw a new post-it note stuck on my screen. Pretty sure it wasn't there earlier.

"Don't work yourself too much. Fighting!" And then another smile.

Who on earth is leaving these notes for me? I looked around again. Chaeyeon has left her desk. Chaewon was back in her small office, focused on whatever she was doing. Across me was our Japanese illustrator who seemed to be minding her own business. Beside her was our new intern. I didn't know much about her, except that she was really good in drawing.

I massaged my temples, feeling an incoming headache. I was about to lose my mind.

 

 

 

Lunchtime arrived, but I still had lots of work to finish. The deadline was fast approaching, and I hate cramming.

"Aren't you going to have lunch?"

I looked up to see Miyawaki Sakura, our Japanese illustrator, hovering above my desk. "I think I'll skip it today."

A disappointed look crossed her face. Did I imagine that or did she really look disappointed, almost as if she was concerned?

"I don't think you should. Come on. Work can wait. I'll treat you to lunch."

I remembered the post-it notes. Could it be Sakura? At this rate, I feel like it could be anyone, really.

I gave her a small smile. "I appreciate it, Sakura. How about tomorrow? I promise I'll eat lunch with you. I just really need to finish all these today."

She frowned. This time, it was pretty obvious. "I'll just bring you a sandwich, then."

At the door, I heard Chaeyeon impatiently calling for her. "Hey, I'm hungry. Let's go!"

"All right. I'm coming!"

I didn't have time to protest. Maybe, a part of me actually wanted that sandwich.

A few minutes passed when I heard some footsteps. The office is usually quiet at this hour, since mostly everyone goes out for lunch.

I turned my gaze away from my computer and saw our new intern, Ahn Yujin, approaching me.

"Hi," she said, and I immediately noticed the dimples on her cheeks when she flashed me a smile.

"Yes?"

"You shouldn't be skipping lunch. Here."

I looked at the packed lunch she was offering. "Isn't that your lunch?"

"It's fine. I just ate a banana and some pudding," she said with a grin.

I shook my head. "I can't accept that."

A pout became visible on her face. "Why not?"

"Uhm, because it's yours, and you shouldn't be skipping lunch, either?"

"We can share, then!"

This time, I was the one pouting. This new intern is so persistent.

"Fine," I said, giving in. I didn't have that much energy to argue, and I just heard my stomach release a low growl.

Her face lit up and her dimples seemed to have gotten deeper. If that was even possible.

She grabbed her own chair and placed it beside me as I cleared my desk. 

"I've seen your drawings. They're really beautiful," I said, aware of the sudden deafening silence.

"Really? Thank you."

"I hope Sakura's mentoring you well."

She smiled, a sheepish and blushing smile. "She is."

I returned her smile, thinking how cute she was. Sakura must have left a good impression on her.

We finished eating, and, I admit, it was really good. I think I even ate more than half of my share. Our new intern didn't seem to mind, though.

"Thank you so much," I said.

"No problem. I'll pack lunch for you tomorrow, too, if you want."

"No, no," I said in a haste, shaking my head. "But, thank you. It was really good."

She grinned, looking slightly flushed. I realized that she blushes quite easily. It brought a smile to my lips, remembering the first time I started working, straight out of college. I must have been the same in front of my seniors.

 

 

 

Ten minutes before lunchtime ended, Sakura put down the sandwich she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter