Prologue: Catharsis

Sana and Dahyun's Guide to the Infinite Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue

_____________

Catharsis

 

It was the summer right before her last year in highschool when Dahyun came home from a leadership summit. Her aunt picked her up from school that day since her dad needed to attend to much important things.

 

Dahyun understood this. Just like how she understood it when he wasn’t there during her junior high school recognition day. Just like how she understood it when she got her license, or when she won a medal for a Math quiz bee. He is absent in some points of her junior life because he needs to. Not because he’s trapped in some work or that he didn’t care about her. She understood that.

 

So when she came back home after the leadership summit, her first reaction was to look for him. She drops her bags in the living room and was greeted by a warm hug when she went into the kitchen.

 

It smells like dinner, much to Dahyun’s delight, because it only meant that her dad is cooking.

 

“How’s camp?” he ruffles Dahyun’s hair like she’s seven, and Dahyun grins just like she is. Her dad responds in kind, making his crow’s feet much more apparent more than ever. It only made Dahyun notice that he aged a lot in such a short span of time.

 

They break off the hug and Dahyun takes a seat on the kitchen counter.

 

“It’s actually pretty fun since Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung are with me. Got to know the rest of the school team leaders, too.” she watched her dad skillfully slice some vegetables. The kitchen echoed with a takatakatak, and when Dahyun found a window of silence, she continues. “It was fun but super tiring. Thank god it’s still weeks before school.”

 

“Are you sure you’re not over-extending yourself with the presidency?” her dad frowned as he washed his hands.

 

“I’m fine, appa. I ran a successful vice-presidency last year.” Dahyun shrugs.

 

“I do not doubt your abilities, Dahyun. All I’m saying is, I don’t want you spending all your time being a perfect student.”

 

“Appa, we are Asians.” Dahyun leans closer over the counter and whispered “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

“Dahyun.” her dad just glanced over his shoulder and raised his brow.

 

“I was kidding.” Dahyun leans back and they both laugh.

 

“But seriously, this is your last year and I..” he suddenly stops and sighs as he looks for the right words, “I.. you.. I just don’t want you to miss out, okay?”

 

The way her dad fished around for words was so blatantly obvious. They had this kind of conversation way often than she could count and Dahyun already knew where this conversation is headed.

 

“Appa, I promise you. It’s not about that. I’m fine with school. Besides, it’s fun being involved in extra-currics, and for what it's worth, the presidency gives that extra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter