Final

Enlightened

Seulgi never got what she wanted, ever.

Sooyoung took the throne away from her, Joohyun took her mother’s favor away from her, and Yerim took her beloved pet away from her.

It was almost as if she were deemed as an outcast in her own palace.

Even as a young princess, her father never batted an eye towards her direction when the succession crisis happened. It was going to be either Sooyoung or Joohyun, and everyone knew.

Seulgi eventually grew numb to this. 

She built an ice wall around her heart and built up a reputation of being an ice princess. Servants wouldn’t dare to meet her in the eyes and she was less forgiving of those who did. Even Yerim had jokingly called her an ice block once.

To Seulgi, the world was a black and white void she was stuck in.

However, Seungwan was the color to her void.

The clumsy servant had managed to run into Seulgi while carrying tea. She knew what kind of reputation Seulgi had and immediately bowed down to apologize.

The princess was furious. She had received the hanbok just two days ago, and it was ruined by the careless servant.

“Do you want your head chopped off?” She sneered.

The servant, who had momentarily forgotten about Seulgi’s no eye contact policy, looked up and fervently shook her head. 

As soon as their eyes met, the ice princess felt as if she were met by a punch in the gut. Her heart raced and what she would call soft thoughts, clouded her mind. To sum it up, the servant girl was beyond adorable to Seulgi.

Realizing her mistake, the servant girl immediately bowed her head down once more. To her surprise, the princess slowly kneeled down and pulled the servant girl up, in order to meet her eye to eye. 

“Your name.” Her voice lacked emotion and the servant was beyond confused.

With her eyes everywhere but Seulgi’s, she replied, “S-Seungwan, your majesty.”

Unbeknownst to Seugwan, the ice princess was holding back a smile. The servant girl reminded her of a cute, small, and fluffy hamster. It didn’t help that the girl looked quite scared (which for some reason gave Seulgi a sense of thrill). 

“Who do you serve?” She asked.

Seugwan finally met her eyes and Seulgi softened up, “Joohyun, your majesty.”

“I see.” Seulgi stood up and eyed the girl, “You ruined my hanbok, so you must pay it back with your life. From here on out, you will be serving me, not Joohyun.” 

Without taking a spare glance at Seungwan (who’s still on her knees), Seulgi walked away with no explanation, leaving the poor girl stuck on the pathway, mouth agape in shock.


                    *    *    *

Seulgi was starting to get used to life with Seungwan, and it scared her.

She had originally forced the girl to serve her for her personal amusement, as the servant girl was clumsy and quite humorous, but as time passed by, the ice princess found herself to become attached.

Gossip in the palace was starting to spread, and this annoyed Seulgi.

“I can’t believe kind-hearted Seungwan left Joohyun for Seulgi.” One servant whispered.

“It was probably out of pity.” The other replied.

This annoyed Seulgi. Not because it was tarnishing her reputation, but because it was tarnishing Seugwan’s. Sweet and kind Seungwan.

Seulgi despised herself for becoming soft towards the servant girl, but Seungwan was a drug to her. She was the only servant Seulgi put forward an inch of care towards, and a day without her made the ice princess feel unmotivated.

“Sooyoung. I’d highly advise for you to control the gossip spreading around the palace. It could ruin the palace's clean reputation.” 

She was feeling quite bold and determined that day. She couldn’t even remember the last time she had interacted with the now Emperor, Sooyoung.

Sooyoung smirked, she has no respect towards Seulgi and knows the feelings are reapproached. If the girl were to even interact with her, she knew that there would be underlying motives.

She’s no fool, she sees and hears about the way Seulgi treats Seungwan. She knows that Seulgi wants to protect Seungwan, not the palace’s reputation.

“Seungwan is quite cute, don’t you think?” Sooyoung glances at Seulgi for any sort of emotion, but is met with blank eyes.

“I’ve said what I need to.” Seulgi turns to leave.

“I think I might want her as my bride.”

Sooyoung smiled in glee when Seulgi paused by the door. She knows she pushed a button.

Seulgi turned around and walked back towards Sooyoung. Her eyes reflected anger and Sooyoung can see possessiveness and insecurity burn inside of them. 

It’s quite a site, she concludes, and it would be a lie to say that she isn’t the least bit intimidated.

“All my life, I’ve had everything taken away from me” Seulgi’s voice is low and dangerous, “however, I’m not letting you take away Seungwan.” 

That night, as Seulgi was doing calligraphy to calm her nerves, she noticed Seungwan intently staring at the characters she was writing. It didn’t take long for her to realize that Seungwan was interested.

“Would you like to write?” She offered the brush towards Seungwan’s direction.

Seungwan shook her head, “No thank you, I don’t know how to write.”

Seulgi grabs the girl and pulls her into her lap. 

Seungwan shrieks.

Seungwan is confused.

Seungwan feels Seulgi lean against her and put the brush in her hand.

“I’ll guide you.” Her voice is soft, unlike the hard and cold voice she usually has.

“First you must make sure you hold the brush right.” She grabs Seungwan’s hand and guides her towards the right position.

“Then, you must make sure you have the right amount of ink on the brush.” Seulgi guides the girl’s hand towards the inkstone and wipes off any excess ink.

Seulgi was just about to explain how to write ‘one’ but word caught in when Seungwan turned her head. 

The two were very close and in a controversial position.

Seungwan was the first to pull away.

“Ah, thank you for teaching me the basics.” Her face was beet red (It was adorable to Seulgi).

She gave Seulgi a quick bow and scurried off.

However, the princess was stuck in an endless loop of replaying the scene in her head. She felt content for the first time in years and had wanted to pull Seungwan closer. Suddenly, the urge to escape the cold palace with the girl seemed ideal to her.

They would have each other, and that’s all Seulgi needed.

Seungwan.

                    *    *    *
Sooyoung glared at the reports she received from Seulgi. All were void of any useful information and it felt as if she was trying to mock the Emperor with her terrible work.

“Did she think I would be stupid enough to not notice?” Sooyoung threw the documents over her table and slammed her palm against the wall.

“She thinks she can constantly get away with disrespecting me just because we’re blood-related.” She grabbed the nearest servant near her by the collar and pulled him close to her face.

Her voice was laced with venom, “Write this decree. Seulgi of the fifth primary is to be beaten and treated with no respect these next ten moons.”

Seulgi was tending to documents when the servants dragged her outside to beat her. They kicked at her, threw water onto her, and spit at her. She knew it was Sooyoung’s command, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a revolt by the servants against her. 

So she took it. 

Seeing Seungwan running towards them, they quickly scurried off. It was a known fact in the main palace that Sooyoung had taken a small liking towards the small girl. They knew touching the Emperor's woman in any way would lead to an instant death sentence. 

“Oh my god!”

The now disgraced Seulgi is laying on the ground in her own pool of blood. She doesn’t know if she can see out of her right eye, but she knows she can see Seungwan running towards her.

“W-what happened?!” Seungwan is crying and it breaks Seulgi’s heart.

She passes out before even realizing it.

When she wakes up, she is greeted by sharp pains throughout her whole body. Recollection of what had happened slowly caught up to her. Rage fills her mind. Thoughts of revenge and murder fill her consciousness and she struggles to keep it under control.

“You’re finally awake.”

Seungwan's soothing voice immediately calms her down. It was just the kind of effect the girl has on her and Seulgi came to terms with it.

“I didn’t know the Emperor would be this ruthless towards you,” her voice is shaky and she struggles to keep her tears in, “you have wounds all over your body. I was scared of losing you for a moment.”

Seeing Seungwan crying over her made Seulgi feel heartbroken yet content. The girl cares for her as much as she cares for the girl. She reaches her hand out and rubs the tears away from Seungwan’s eyes (the girl looked absolutely stunning even when crying).

She smiles. It's small, but genuine, “I’m alive. I won’t let Sooyoung pettiness kill me. I won’t let you become sad.”

She slowly pulls the crying girl onto her bed and lays her head on Seungwan’s chest. She closes her eyes and dreams of peaceful days with Seungwan.

Just Seungwan.

                    *    *    *
“I’d say it’s about time you take what’s yours,” Joohyun said as she dusted off her armor.

Sooyoung gave her a confused look. She had no idea what her sister was talking about.

“That servant girl. I know you have taken a liking towards her.”

Of course, Joohyun would notice. Even after being on the battlefield for most of her life, she knows what the signs are. Then again Sooyoung wasn’t subtle. From constantly calling the girl in to privately serve her, to blatantly favoriting, it’s quite obvious that Sooyoung has intentions towards her.

She fiddles with her hanbok and avoids eye contact with Joohyun. The thought of Seungwan makes her nervous for some reason. The giddy type of nervous.

“You aren’t even denying it, my dear sister. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind if I marry her off to one of the ministers then?”

The thought of the old ministers laying their wrinkly hands on Seungwan made Sooyoung writhe in disgust. The thought of anyone, even Seulgi, touching Seungwan made her disgusted. 

Perhaps it was her pride making her feel like this, or perhaps it was jealousy.

“I would mind,” She doesn’t notice Joohyun smiling in triumph and continues, “the thought of anyone else laying their filthy hands on her disgust me.”

She knew what she had to do.

“Send this decree out. Son Seungwan is to marry me by sunset.”

                    *    *    *
Seulgi isn’t surprised. 

She’s always had everything taken away from her, so of course, Seungwan would eventually be taken away.

She knew this, and yet she had still allowed her heart to warm up towards the girl. To her, she deserved what was coming.

“Loathing in self-pity isn’t going to help you,” Yerim says.

Seulgi ignores her and takes another swig at her drink.

However, Yerim has different plans. She slaps the drink out of her hand and slaps Seulgi square in the face. 

“Do you even realize how pathetic you are right now,” she pushes Seulgi back with her finger, “you always complain about how you lose things, and yet, you never seem to fight for the things you want.”

She points towards a lone pavilion where Seungwan is sitting. Alone. Her back is facing towards the other two, but her shoulders are shaking and her face is buried in her hands.

“You have more power than the girl. You have time! So stop wasting it!”

Seulgi pushes Yerim away. Alcohol is running in her blood, and nothing can stop her rage now that it’s been released. All of her pent up anger towards her siblings edged her on to explode, and now Yerim would have to be the one to take it.

“Who are you to call me pathetic,” Her eyes are beet red and her voice is low, “all my life, I’ve been belittled by you guys. I was belittled by my father, and belittled by my own mother! Now suddenly you want to help me? I know you. You probably have underlying motives towards me. You’re probably trying to get me in some sort of trap.”

She hysterically laughs and continues, “I’m no fool, but I know you guys see me as one!”

Yerim calmly puts her hands on Seulgi’s shoulder and her eyes meet Seulgi’s, “You’re wrong. I don’t have secret motives. I don’t see you as a fool. I didn’t experience what you did as a child so I don’t understand how you feel; however, I know that only you can change your life. Only you can make decisions for yourself. Constantly wallowing in self-pity and hatred will only make your situation worse. You’re allowing yourself to lose many important opportunities due to your lack of motivation,” she softly explains.

She drops her hands down back to her side and turns to leave, “You have minimum time left. The sunset is coming soon. I’ll do what I can, but you must do your part as well.”

Seulgi drops to the ground. Everything Yerim said to her hit her all at once. She was right, in the past, Seulgi had let everything happen to her without a fight. She had never tried to help herself but instead opted to consume her thoughts in her hatred and self-pity. 

Seungwan’s worth it. She is worth fighting for, even if it’ll cost her life.

Walking towards the main palace, she rolls her eyes are the red decorated all around the area. The decree hasn’t even been approved by the grand dowager so what are they rushing things for. She sees Sooyoung staring off into the distance with her red hanbok already on.

“I knew you would come,” Sooyoung says as Seulgi walks up behind her.

The main eunuch scoffs, “How dare you! The emperor is in front of you and yet you dare not bow down?”

A hand is thrown up and the eunuch immediately shuts up.

“Leave with the other servants. Without my command, you guys are not allowed to return.”

Sooyoung turns around and the two siblings hold eye contact while the servants left. The tension between the two is tense. Both have no intentions of backing down.

Seulgi is the first to speak up, “I’m glad you are aware of why I’m here.”

Sooyoung smirks. It angers Seulgi even more. 

It’s always that damn smirk. 

It was the smirk Sooyoung had when she beat Seulgi in a sword duel. 

It was the smirk Sooyoung had when she had successfully framed Seulgi for something she never did.

It was the same smirk Sooyoung had when she stepped on the throne.

“Of course I know. Only Seungwan could provoke such a response out of you.”

Seulgi ignores her remark and continues, “Let’s get straight to the point. Why are you marrying Seungwan?”

Sooyoung sighs and shakes her head, mocking Seulgi in a way.

“What else do you think? I love the girl. I want her to be mine-”

“Cut the crap,” Seulgi roars, she points her finger at Sooyoung and glares at her, “I know you’re doing this to punish me.”

The emperor eyes Seulgi up and down and raises her right eyebrow up. She folds her arms together and scoffs.

“You’re not worth my time,” she stares at Seulgi like she's garbage, “what makes you think I would go out of my time and commit to something just to ruin you,” she laughs and it’s anything but light-hearted, “then again, you’re already ruined.”

Seulgi doesn’t falter. She isn’t there to fight about how she’s always belittled, she there to fight for Seungwan.

Sooyoung searches Seulgi’s eyes for any sort of hesitation but finds none. She’s surprised. Usually, the girl would back down like a beaten dog, but this time, she saw a wolf in Seulgi.

“I’ll ask nicely then. Please don’t take Seungwan away from me.” Seulgi bows down and puts her head on the pavement to show her sincerity.

The emperor sees this as a joke. She laughs; mouth wide open and eyes closed.

“You fool, the decree has already been passed! An Emperor’s decree cannot be overpassed once sealed.”

“It can if the grand dowager didn’t seal it!” A voice yelled (it sounded like Yerims and Seulgi prays it is).

They look towards the direction where the voice came from and saw the grand dowager walking towards them. Beside her stood a proud Yerim with a sulking Joohyun. Yerim waved at Seulgi and ignored the invisible daggers Sooyoung was throwing at her.

The grand dowager swiftly walks to the emperor and slaps her right across the face. The other royal siblings three could only watch in shock. The grand dowager never put her hands on anyone and had always been seen as a kind and virtuous woman.

Sooyoung holds her cheek in shock, but the dowager isn’t done yet, “How dare you impulsively act like this?! Do you dare to pass a marriage decree without my approval? Do you want the state to have an ascension crisis?”

“N-no.” The emperor was on her knees by now as her head hung low.

“Your father put the country in your hands Sooyoung,” her body is shaking from rage, but she continues, “you’re no longer a young, impulsive child. You are an adult ruler!”

The dowager pulls Seungwan (Seungwan was there the whole time?!) to the front and ushers her to stand in front of Sooyoung. 

Seungwan is beyond nervous. She was getting ready for the wedding only for Yerim to barge in the room and yell “You’re saved!” (She expected to see Seulgi waiting outside of the door for her, but had almost fallen to her knees in shock once she was met with the grand dowager face to face).

“Apologize to this young girl,” the dowager doesn’t bother to meet Sooyoung’s eyes, “she does not deserve to be in the middle of you and your petty battles against your sibling.”

To their surprise, Sooyoung looks visibly upset. She slowly stands up and holds eye contact with Seungwan. She grabs Seungwans hands and pulls them closer to her.

“I wasn’t lying when I said I want to marry her out of love.”

Joohyun steps up, “See, I told you mother I-”

“Hush,” the dowager turns towards Seungwan and gives her a smile, “be honest child and I promise everything will go in your favor.”

Seungwan pulls her hands out of Sooyoung’s and doesn’t miss the disappointed look on the emperor’s face, “I chose Seulgi.”

Sooyoung’s face is filled with anguish and confusion. She doesn’t understand why Seungwan would choose a disgraced person over her, the ruler over the country.

“W-what? Why? She has nothing! I’m the emperor, I have everything you want. From riches to status, everything!” Sooyoung takes a breath, “You even have my heart, what more do you want?!”

“A kind personality!” Seungwan walks towards Seulgi and holds her hand, “All you have ever done was bully Seulgi. You even bullied the servants! I can’t stand that kind of behavior…” 

“Are you sure child? You and Seulgi will be sent out of the palace and there will be no looking back” The dowager cares about the two children, especially Seulgi.

In a way, they remind her of her younger days with the previous emperor.

Seulgi knows it’s her turn to pipe in, “Yes,” Seungwan smiles at her and urges her to continue, “we’re more than sure.”

“I see,” The grand dowager calls for a eunuch, “this is my decree! Son Seungwan and Fifth-primary Seulgi are to be sent out of the palace. They are to become commoners but will be provided with shelter.”

She turns back towards the newly formed couple and pulls them to a hug, “I wish you two the very best.”

Seulgi and Seungwan give each other one last smile before running past Sooyoung and the palace doors, hand in hand to their freedom.