Chapter 1 (Jihyo)

A Girl For Mom

*Sana’s POV*

 

      I walk into my Highschool ready to begin the new year quietly and finish it the same. My hectic morning however was anything but quiet. The screaming that occurred the minute my alarm went off was not the highlight of the day. I arrived promptly at my 1st class of the day and sat next to some of my friends I recognized from last year. Seeing as we were the only Japanese students at Jeju high our bond was pretty strong. 

 

      “How was your summer? Is he doing ok?” My friend Momo made eye contact with me and gestured to sit next to her.

 

      “Well, they’re doing better than expected despite all the yelling,” I responded with a huff, sitting down in the cheap uncomfortable chairs the school supplies us with.

 

      I looked behind me “You know I’m just amazed at how resilient you are. I wouldn’t be able to do it even if you pay me a million dollars.”  My other friend Mina went in for a hug. I missed my friends a lot since we never could meet up over summer break.

 

      “Well I mean she kinda is getting paid,” Momo responds, obviously bored with us already and staring at her nails.

 

      “If I don't lose it first you mean.” All of the girls end up laughing at my stupidity and forgetfulness, sadly it happens to be a common topic.

 

      “Did you see Joshua walk-in today. I swear I would probably his shoes for him if he would allow me.” Momo said with an unrealistic heart protruding from her eyes that I thought was only possible to see in anime.

 

      I responded with a blush rising on my cheek. “Ok First off, I did not see Joshua walk in, secondly I bet he looks great, thirdly please don’t talk like that it’s embarrassing.” 

 

“Sana, we’re speaking in Japanese which no one in this school can understand and if they can understand they already know our weird for Joshua and his shoes.”

 

“I can speak Japanese!” A student piped up from across the room.

 

“Shut up Hoshi.” both Momo and Mina exclaimed.

 

      I began laughing, perhaps this year could be really great. I sat at my desk comfortably and stared at the whiteboard. I could say the whiteboard stared back at me with the same positivity but then people would just start calling me crazy. I don’t see myself as wacky, just an optimist who stares into space too often. 

 

      Just then our teacher decided to finally show up 15 minutes late, “Ok, guys lets get started. I’m sure you're all just ecstatic to be back in this wonderful building.” He was received with a series of grunts.

 

      The rest of my first period was spent staring off into space or talking with Momo and Mina. Honestly, I wonder how I keep a report card of A's and B's sometimes.

 

      Once the lunch bell rang around 1,000 teenagers all filtered out of their classrooms to buy the schools barely edible food. Our Japanese “club” however all brought our own homemade Bentos. Momo and Mina followed me to our lunch table we sat at last year. It was my favorite because it was placed right next to a trash can so instead of having to walk to get rid of my food all I had to do was just throw it in. 

 

      The lunchroom began to smell and suddenly wished that we sat outside for today. Out of nowhere Momo and Mina began to scream to the point of hurting my ears. 

 

      “What is your problem, haven’t you guys ever heard of inside voices.” I hissed while holding my hands over my ears. 

 

      “I’m sorry I can’t help it, Joshua walked in and I couldn’t believe who was standing next to him.”

 

      “Who?” I asked, curiosity taking over me.

 

      “It's Yuta and Yuto, those little betrayers.” Momo looks at them in disdain.

 

      “Wow, I can't believe they wouldn’t introduce us to him.” I join Momo in her look of resentment.

 

      Both Yuto and Yuta leave Joshua with a handshake and join us at our table. They have the widest grins on their face. You can almost see the love pop out of their pupils. If they keep going on this route they might beat Momo in the eyes. That’s the magic of Joshua, once you talk to him you end up falling in love. Male or Female no one can help but become entranced by him. Including me. Not saying I was head over heels for him, nor would I date him on the spot. However If I got to know him better, I'm not sure if I could contain myself. 

 

      Last year he had a girlfriend who was a year older than him and when she graduated, broke up with him then moved to China. Which only means one thing, way more embarrassing confessions to watch. Now girls think that because he's single he’ll start accepting their confessions left and right. 

 

      “Hey guys, what's up, I think I’m in love.” Yuta holds his heart tenderly.

 

      “Welcome to the club.” My two friends and I say while staring off at Joshua. 

 

      “Anyway I brought some new friends over from Joshua’s friend group,” Yuto says while waving over two guys timidly standing waiting for his cue. 

 

      They walk over slowly and sit next to Yuto and Yuta. With a quick bow they introduce themselves as Seungcheol and Mingyu. They seem charismatic with looks that scream they could be rappers if they really wanted to try. Personally, I’ve always liked the charismatic type but the boy next door style will always hold a special place in my heart. 

 

      “I don’t know the tall one definitely seems like my type.” Mina looked on with interest and Momo made a sound of agreement.

 

      “Guys, I thought we promised to speak Korean when we have guests at our table.” Yuta gave us a fake smile.

 

      “Ugh, ok we’re speaking Korean now, are you happy?” I rolled my eyes at the two Japanese boys who so badly wanted to fit in with the Korean boys. Recently, I could only get Yuta and Yuto to speak Japanese when we were alone and they were sure none of the Korean students could hear them.

 

      Seungcheol piped up “Did you guys hear about the confessions today,” he paused to take some food from Yuto, “There is supposed to be a bunch for Joshua because apparently, the girls want to start of the school year perfectly.”

 

      “They’ll only end up crying in the bathroom from rejection.” I sighed thinking about how many hugs I’ll have to give by the end of the school day. 

 

      “Would you look at that, The first confession of the year is starting now.” Mingyu just shakes his head fearful of how this will turn out. A girl I vaguely remember as Jihyo courageously struts up to Joshua. I have to admit, I’m impressed by the amount of confidence she exudes. 

 

      We watch as her confidence fades and Joshua turns her down as politely as he can. She turns and starts running with tears lining her face. I almost want to run after her and start consoling her about how there are more fish in the sea but I guess that's just the mom in me speaking.

 

      As she nears us I start to see that her sadness was more towards anger and fear begins filling up inside me. I feel like I am rooted in my chair and I stare at Jihyo wide-eyed. She runs past us knocking the trash can out of her line of sight. 

 

      Which ends up being on me. Trash comes flying straight at my table but it seems to be aimed straight at me. Aren’t I just the special little snowflake. Trash covers me and I have to fight back the urge to scream at whoever I can find at fault for this. Yogurt has spilled all over my shirt, my legs are sticky from leftover milk, and my hair is covered in mystery food. Every inch of me feels disgusting and I would do anything to be teleported straight home. 

 

      “Oh, how sitting next to the trash has failed me.” I want to cry from the humiliation of everyone in the Cafeteria looking at me covered in trash. The Japanese club laughs weakly and the two newcomers stare in disbelief. 

 

      “I swear, things like this don’t happen every day, were not cursed or anything” Yuto tells Mingyu and Seungcheol trying to not scare them off so they stay for more days to come. 

 

      “Sana, do you have any extra clothes you can wear for the rest of the day?”

 

      Mina whispered in my ear trying not to grab any more attention.

 

“Umm… Ya, actually I think I have an extra uniform in my bag. I always carry it because of my problem at home.” I mumble back to Mina. I gesture for Momo and Mina to follow me to the bathroom so I don’t have to suffer the walk of shame alone. While walking out of that wretched cafeteria I make eye contact with Joshua and he almost gives me a look of sympathy and shrugs his shoulders. I look away with a roll of my eyes. Yep, Joshua Hong may be effortlessly pretty but he is just too troublesome for me.