Chapter 3: The Awkward Bet

When Two Different Worlds Collide

Chapter 3: Chapter 3: The Awkward Bet

Chapter Text

The next day came around, Chanyeol walked to his usual place in class where Jongdae was already seated, an iced Americano on the table, and his head laying next to it. He was wearing sunglasses and didn't even flinch when Chanyeol sat next to him.

Assuming that he was sleeping, Chanyeol took generous sips from the iced americano before returning it to its place while frowning at the bitter taste it left in his mouth and proceeded to annoy his sleeping best friend.

"Yah Jongdae!" He tapped his shoulder "Yah Kim Jongdae" He tried a bit harder but the other was just irresponsive "Is he dead?" He asked out loud before pushing the chair where Jongdae was seated causing the other boy to scream thinking he was falling, gathering the other students'attention.

"THE DID YOU DO THAT FOR STINKY ?" Just Kim Jongdae and his dirty mouth except that is ten times worse when he wakes up.

"ing finally I thought you died or something"

"The you came here early for?" Jongdae layed back on the table " off let me catch some five-minute sleep before the fat ert arrives and starts his lecture" But being the person he was, Chanyeol was not letting Jongdae do as pleased.

"Why are you sleeping? You are mostly as energized as a brothel worker on pills on mornings!"

"Go die or something and leave me alone Chan"

Annoyed by the way Jongdae was not entertaining him as usual, Chanyeol swiftly took the sunglasses away from Jongdae's face "Yah why the hell are you even weari- OH HOLLY COW YOU LOOK LIKE THAT WAS NOT PROPERLY FLUSHED DOWN THE TOI- AHHHHH"

He didn't get to finish his sentence cause Jongdae -With his extremely puffy red eyes- grabbed the hair at the back of his head causing him to scream and the students around to let out unpleased noises at the disturbance.

" STOP HERE THEY ARE" Chanyeol handed the glasses back to their owner who finally released his hair. Chanyeol was sure by now he has a bald spot somewhere from the strength Jongdae put into pulling.

Massaging the back of his hair, he decided that maybe today is not the day to bully Jongdae who was obviously suffering a terrible hangover.

A minute or two later, Kyungsoo arrived and sat down on the other side of a sleeping Jongdae.

"What's wrong with him?" He whispered to Chanyeol.

"Hungover or dying" Chanyeol shrugged.

Not long later the teacher arrived, Chanyeol took a look around looking for somebody who apparently hasn't shown yet at his usual spot at his usual place at the back.

"How did things go yesterday? Did he ditch you?" Jongdae whispered always wearing his sunglasses (It's not like the teacher will care, they were college students aka adults after all).

"You wish! He didn't just agree on dating me, we did even go on a date, ate ice-cream, and did all the 'Getting to know each other' stuff and exchanged phone numbers by the end of the night"

What? Did he lie?

"That went rather easy, I bet you he's head over heels for me now"

Okay, maybe a little sprinkle of lying won't hurt.

"Tsk..."

"I want Eunji's number written neatly on the expensive paper sold at the library"

"We'll see about that..."

Ten minutes into their composing lecture about Rhythmic Endings and Syllabus, a knock was heard, and the teacher allowed the familiar (At least to Chanyeol) boy to enter.

Said familiar boy sat at his usual place at the back and his eyes met Chanyeol's, poker face on ignoring the flirty smile Chanyeol threw his way and proceeding to pay attention to the teacher.

"Don't look to me like pretty boy likes you let alone went on a date with you... Lying to hyung Chanyeol-ah?" Jongdae said while jotting some notes.

"Shut the up" Grumbled Chanyeol as he took out his phone.

To Baekhyun
'Hey' Seen
'Good Morning' Seen
'Y U L8?' Seen
'Y didn't U answer my msgS yesterday?' Seen
'Hey Baekhyun' Seen
'Baekhyun!' Seen
'Baekhyun?' Seen

Chanyeol turned back to Baekhyun who was glaring at his phone, and then without dropping the glare turned to him, before tapping something on his phone and pocketing it, and returning his attention to the lecture once again.

'Y R U glaring @ me?' Chanyeol typed but the message didn't go through and he realized he was blocked... By Baekhyun.

"You really lied to me didn't you?"

"I did not... off" Chanyeol put down his phone and crossed his arms sulking.

"Lying won't get you anywhere with me Yeollie"

"Shut the up or I swear I'm gonna punch you in the face right now"

"You th-"

"If you two don't shut the up as in right now I swear I am beating both of you up... I am trying to pass this semester this year!" Kyungsoo said and both shut up, cause if he says he'll beat them up... He'll beat them up...

*******************************

"As of this semester's project, I'm gonna need you divided into groups of two or three, we'll choose random themes for each group to compose a song about, feel free to sing it by yourselves or have someone else to do that, you won't be graded on the quality of the vocals it's an added bonus of course, however my focus will be on the quality of the lyrics and mostly the instrumental that needs to fit the theme chosen and convey the feeling of it... Now please choose your group mates and let's start choosing themes for you... If you have any questions let's get to that after this"

"Okey so if any of you heads thinks he will dip and leave me to do all the work by myself I swear I'm gonna ski- Yah where the are you going?" Kyungsoo watched as Chanyeol stood up ignoring him and heading towards the back of the class.

"Looks like we'll be working on our own Soo-yah"

*******************************

"Why did you block me?" Was the first thing Chanyeol said while he sat next to Baekhyun.

"You were annoying..."

"I was asking about you"

"And it was annoying"

"This is what boyfriends do!"

"I was trying to pay attention..."

They sat in that awkward silence Chanyeol came to hate so much until a paper was passed to them. Chanyeol examined it under Baekhyun's curious gaze at it before taking the pen Baekhyun was holding and jotting down their names.

"Yah!"

"Whaat?" Chanyeol passed the paper to the table next to them just when Baekhyun tried reaching for it.

"Why did you write our names together?!"

"Because we'll be working together?"

"Who said I want to work with you!" Baekhyun hissed arms folded.

"You have somebody else in mind?" Chanyeol asked challenging.

"No but-"

"No buts I don't have anybody to work with either!"

"Your friends are right there!"

"Is it a crime that I wanted to work with my boyfriend?" Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun didn't answer and just looked at his hands. Chanyeol internally sighed and cursed Jongdae a little over twenty times in his head.

"Is everybody settled?" The teacher asked

"YES!"

"Alright please send in one member per group for a random theme draw"

Without another word, Baekhyun stood up and headed toward the teacher who was holding a plastic box.

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun walked slowly and stood as among the crowd that was already formed around the teacher.

Chanyeol felt eyes on him, and indeed, a smirking Jongdae and a glaring Kyungsoo were staring at him.

"Whaaat?" He muttered to them.

Kyungsoo just whispered something to Jongdae and stood up, while Jongdae turned his back to him.

Chanyeol watched Kyungsoo walk to Baekhyun starting a conversation and he literally panicked, Jongdae was a loud mouth and the chances of him telling Kyungsoo about this plot was existent, Kyungsoo, being the person he is was most likely to tell Baekhyun about everything and ruin what Chanyeol worked for.

Chanyeol was ready to flee to save the day if it ever needs saving when he received a message.

'Relax he's only asking him about their previous project'
'U sure he's not going to blow the plan away?'
'Soo don't know about it'
'What if he tells him about Eunji!'
'Stop being a ing drama queen ntg is going to happen'

Chanyeol was ready to replay when he saw Baekhyun slip back to his place next to him and gave him a small piece of paper.

'Lies and Love' Was written on the paper...

Oh irony.

'' Chanyeol mentally thought.

"Wow, that's rather... Interesting"

"It was the last paper left on the box"

"Oh..."

They sat in silence again and the teacher was answering some questions here and there.

"What did Kyungsoo and you talk about?"

"He just asked me about our other project"

"You... Told him... You know... Me and y-"

"I didn't," He said it sharp "I won't tell anybody about it" He said it is such a harsh tone that Chanyeol almost flinched.

"Hey! I didn't mean it that way!"

"Just... Don't worry I won't tell anybody... Ever"

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun who had a grim expression on his face, and he regretted ever asking that question in the first place. Chanyeol was about to come up with an excuse when the teacher decided to dismiss the class. And without any word, Baekhyun gathered his things and stormed away before Chanyeol could even talk to him.

Looks like pretty boy really really don't like him...

********************************

It was almost three weeks since Chanyeol and Baekhyun were... Dating... If it ever can be called that.

Dating Baekhyun was... Complicated to say the least. Chanyeol had his fair share of dating in the past, and this thing, whatever it is, with Baekhyun, is obviously, the most awkward dating experience he's ever had.

Baekhyun is such a mystery to him. He was always silent, keeping a cold facade, never talks more than necessary.

Ever since that day in class, Baekhyun always turned down his advances, things like hanging out or going on dates, Baekhyun always had some excuse as to not spend time with Chanyeol.

The only times they spent time, was during the only class they share, and sometimes they go to the instrument room together to work on their project.

Chanyeol managed (Read almost begged) to get Baekhyun to his apartment once. They found the instrument room occupied, and Chanyeol insisted they go to his apartment since he already has some of the equipment they'd need and they'd get to spend as much as they want working. And even then, Baekhyun barely spent an hour at Chanyeol's apartment and left with the excuse of having some work at the library.

This whole situation was driving Chanyeol almost crazy. He should have been happy with this arrangement, he doesn't have to lie that much to Baekhyun, he'd have the perfect excuse to break things up with him once Eunji shows back again in the picture, Jongdae is almost convinced they are dating now, he wouldn't risk having any feelings getting in the way between them...

But what was bothering Chanyeol in this situation? It was Baekhyun. Why is Baekhyun okay with this? What was Baekhyun's catch from 'Dating' Chanyeol? If they almost never do what normal couples do? They never go on dates, they don't even hang out, let alone things like skinship.

Chanyeol was keen on figuring out what was Baekhyun hiding from him. As long as Eunji hasn't shown up yet, he vowed he was going to solve the enigma that was Byun Baekhyun.

********************************

It wasn't until a rainy Saturday night when things took a different turn...

********************************

It was a little over midnight, Chanyeol was sitting in his cozy leather couch doing a Marvel marathon. He spent the day with his mother and sister that he hadn't seen in so long.

He was somewhere around Iron Man 3 when the bell rang, causing Chanyeol who was engrossed in the movie to almost topple off the couch. He never gets visitors, much less on a Saturday night. Kyungsoo and Sehun were probably at their parents'houses. Jongin and Tao are probably catching up with their pilled homework and nearing deadlines. The probability of it being a drunk Jongdae was close to none since he stopped going to the club to avoid seeing 'The Chinese Boyfriend Stealer' and resulted to getting wasted at his and Minseok's dorm room.

Chanyeol walked to his door, but nothing could've readied him to the surprise behind his door. There stood, a soaking wet Baekhyun, the cap of his hoodie atop of his head.

"Baekhyun?"

"C-Chanyeol... I..." Chanyeol couldn't help but notice things, like the fact that Baekhyun's voice was cracked and his eyes were swollen. Not just that but he had a cut on his lower lip.

"Are you okay? What happened to you?" Panicked Chanyeol as he pulled Baekhyun towards him to take a closer look at him.

"C-Can I S-Stay over?" Baekhyun asked trying to avoid eye contact.

"What?" Chanyeol asked in a daze as he noticed another bruise in the corner of the shorter boy's eyebrow.

"J-Just for tonight I-I promise I w-won't bother y-"

"Of course you can! Why are you even asking!" Chanyeol pulled him inside and closed the door. He took off his hood and examined the pale face once again, where he, fortunately, found no more bruises other than what he already noticed "God Baekhyun what happened to you?"

Baekhyun just shook his head and Chanyeol sighted. Just what in the world did he expect?

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" Baekhyun nodded "Alright why don't you go take off those wet clothes before you get sick? I'll get you something to wear okay?" Baekhyun hesitantly nodded and Chanyeol guided him to the bathroom door. Sighting, Chanyeol went to his closet and picked a white long sleeved shirt, some black shorts Kyungsoo once left behind which he assumed will fit Baekhyun and boxers that are still new.

Chanyeol waited a few minutes before knocking on the bathroom door and handed Baekhyun the clothes from behind the door.

Chanyeol sat on his bed waiting for sometime before Baekhyun came out, almost drowning in his shirt, his hair was still wet and he looked lost and small.

Their eyes met and Baekhyun stood at his place fiddling with the sleeves of the shirt. Chanyeol would've cooed at the sight if it was any other situation.

"Come here" Chanyeol patted the space next to him and Baekhyun did as told and sat next to him.

Chanyeol carefully treated his bruises. Not a word was exchanged during the process, silence kind of become something expected whenever the two of them are around each other. Chanyeol just wondered what in the world happened to Baekhyun and other than the bruises what happened so that he so desperately asks Chanyeol to stay at his house?

"Have you eaten yet?"

"I am not hungry..." His voice lacked the hostility that was usually there "Thank you" He added in a small voice.

"Okay" Chanyeol looked him once again making sure he cleaned all the cuts "You look tired... You should go to sleep" Chanyeol stood up and Baekhyun was standing up too "Where are you going?"

"You said I- I should sleep?"

"You are taking the bed"

"No I'll just take the couch"

"No you're having the bed" Baekhyun was about to protest "And we are not arguing over this Baekhyun" Chanyeol put the emergency kit he was holding on the nearby table and came back to Baekhyun pushing him down the bed and tucking him in. "Stop being stubborn at least for tonight" He added with a smile.

"Thank you..." Baekhyun said "And I am sorry... I will leave as soon as morning comes"

"Why would you leave early?" Chanyeol asked perplex.

"Y-You said your friends come over on Sundays that day..."

Chanyeol felt his heart sinking at two realizations: The first being that despite looking un-interested, Baekhyun really did remember what he said on that first (And last?) date. The second being that he was still trying to keep that one-sided promise he did on never letting anybody know about the two of them.

"Hey... What are you exactly thinking you're doing Baekhyun?" Chanyeol sat on the edge of the bed.

"Huh?"

"This whole situation is frustrating me!"

"I-I am sorry..."

"Hey Baekhyun" Chanyeol put his hand gently under Baekhyun's chin "Would you please at least look at me?" Baekhyun hesitated a little but eventually looked at him "I don't want you to apologize to me or anything like that... But I need you to understand something"

Black wet hair strands were blocking Baekhyun's eyes from him, so, in a bold move, he reached out to the laying boy and gently brushed them away and he felt Baekhyun stiffen at that "That day at class... I really didn't mean it that way. I am not embarrassed by you being my boyfriend..." His hand was playing with Baekhyun's hair "It's just that I haven't had the chance to tell Kyungsoo or any of my other friends about us... Only Jongdae knows, and I wanted them to hear it from me first... Alright?"

It took a while but Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol was suddenly reminded of a little puppy.

"I know you have been upset about this all this while and you have all the right to do so... I should've explained this to you earlier"

"I really... Thought you regretted asking me to date you..."

"I didn't! This is our problem Baek... We never talk to each other and this is why we kind of are growing apart..."

"I'm sorr-"

"Shhhh I said no apologizing!" He put a finger on Baekhyun's lips "We'd better leave this conversation to some other time it's getting late you should sleep... Goodnight"

"Goodnight" Baekhyun said in a small voice.

"Oh and Baek..." Chanyeol turned halfway through his way to the couch.

"Eumm?"

"You should wear more white it looks good on you" Chanyeol smirked.

For all answer, Baekhyun hid himself under the covers with a barely audible "Pfft"

As Chanyeol layed on the couch, guilt was eating him up, he hated himself, he just wanted to confront Baekhyun and maybe comfort him too, but what he did was, give him a false hope to hold on to... Chanyeol hated himself for being a liar, and knew for a fact, that he will eventually end up hurting Baekhyun...

****************************************

Sorry for being extremely late, I'm just so busy with my life falling apart, I hope this chapter didn't disappoint much.
Please support our boys on July they need all the support they can get and please never forget Minseok and Kyungsoo too.