Chapter 1: The Forced Bet

When Two Different Worlds Collide

Chanyeol stood at the rooftop of his university glancing at the hoards of students that filled about every corner of the place down there. A good, at least, fifty meters separated him from the ground and he couldn't help but wonder whether Jongdae would survive or not when he throws him off from where he was currently standing. A smile crept on his face over his psychopathic thoughts that he was going to get rid of Jongdae once and for all, but then with a luck like his (And Jongdae's), Jongdae was more likely to break an arm or a leg and he, on the other hand, was probably going to end up in jail for a murder attempt of his own best friend... Throwing Jongdae was so tempting... But he didn't fathom going to jail...

"Why are you smiling like a retarded hyena?"

"Do you really wanna know?" Chanyeol flashed him the fakest smile he could ever make.

"Naaaah spare me that ..." Jongdae dismissed as he stood next to him.

"I hate you..." Chanyeol said after some time.

"Oh come on, it's not that bad Yeol-ah, I mean Jung Eunji is worth it"

"I am not even gay..."

"You don't have to be one Chan-Chan you just have to pretend and it'll be over trust me"

****************************************

Life was fair, or at least that's what someone like Chanyeol lived thinking. How not when he had everything one would ever want, he was the center of all envies, he has the looks, he was tall, was among the popular guys of Seoul Musical University ever since he set a foot in it, he was considered one of the most talented students when it came to playing all sorts of instruments. Materially speaking he had money enough to move out of his mother's house into a small but modern studio apartment, he had his squad of friends and an outstanding set of social skills that allowed him to perfectly and smoothly communicate with any individual and keep them interested in whatever he was talking about.

Life was fair, until a week ago, the Seoul Fashion University, which was right next to theirs, organized a charity auction which consisted on bidding on the students (Girls and Boys) and the higher bidder gets to go on a date with the person he/she bids for.

That was an opportunity that represented itself on a silver plate to Chanyeol, he had his eyes on Jung Eunji, a student in SFU. According to him, she was the most beautiful girl his eyes have ever layed on. She was nice, had a dazzling smile, she was as popular as him, and had a really lively personality and a high sense of fashion (She is a fashion student after all).

He was keen on asking her out, or at least for a date, but, it seemed as if every time they meet, her and her girl-friends squad were joined by the hip, it was quite impossible to have an intimate talk to charm her off without having all of her friends (And his) listening to every single thing he said.

See, one of Eunji's best friends, Son Naeun, was dating Jongin, one of his closest friends, and that was how they met when he was dropping Jongin off to one of his dates with Naeun and insisted on driving her two other friends (Eunji and some other girl he forgot the name of) back to their uni.

The auction was just a perfect excuse to take her out on a date, and he was so keen on wowing the girl.

What Chanyeol did not expect, was the sudden rain that decided to fall the night before the awaited event while he was all sweats on his way back home from the gym.

The morning after, it was safe to say that Chanyeol couldn't even open his eyes, he had a fever, and a runny nose, his throat was dry, and face swollen.

He only had two options: Give up on the whole auction because he was hell not going to show up on public in a state like the one he was currently in, but that would be a huge risk, Eunji was a catch and some other guy might just jump on the occasion.

Option two was, to have someone to replace him in the bidding, and the question was, who would do that for him? He had his trusted friends, but among the five of them who will do him this favor? Jongin already had a girlfriend he was head over heels for, Sehun had his eyes on one of Eunji's friends (Oh Hayoung if he remembers correctly) and was going to bid for her.

Kyungsoo was more likely to threw a shoe on him if he ever asks him to fill in for him, cause he made his opinion clear: 'I don't see the difference between those useless auctions and people selling their body in shady corners of the city in exchange for money and spare me with that charity most likely that money is going into their summer budget to threw some beach party so you might as well spent that money in some brothel and have some real action it will make no difference' Yeah not the best of ideas.

Tao had a mind of his own saying that it is not manly to strike a date through an auction. His guts to talk about manliness when he can't even watch horror movies.

Which, led him to his one and only left option: Kim Jongdae.

Jongdae was his closest friend among the five of them, they've been friends since middle school, while Chanyeol excelled in anything related to playing instruments, Jongdae had a voice that many called an angel voice, he mastered every single singing technique and that's how his place was guaranteed at the SMU with a scholarship.

And being Jongdae's closest friend, he was the one that knew the most that he had to think hundreds of times and consider all possible solutions before resolving into asking him for a favor. Jongdae was a sly human being, and whether you were his friend for a lifetime or just someone he met a few hours ago, it made no difference, he does nothing for free.

And at that desperate time, Chanyeol thought about what's the worst that can happen, he will handle it, Eunji was worth it.

And that's how that Saturday morning, he woke up a hungover Jongdae at 7 am trying to convince him of his plan.

"You'd better get that pretty of yours sober and go make yourself somewhat presentable, all you have to do is bid for Eunji, make sure to give the highest bid for her, and the date is to be rescheduled later so I'll make sure to come up with a good excuse of why I showed up instead of you"

"I promised Junmyeon hyung to go clubbing tonight! I am planning on asking him out tonight"

"Oh come on! You know he only uses you because of that Chinese bartender since you can talk fluent Chinese"

"Yixing hyung is not his style"

"I was with you guys last time his eyes were all over him, I'd say you were a third wheel if it wasn't for the fact that you were mistranslating the cheesy pick-up lines that Yixing guy was telling him"

" you... Anyways, I'll make sure you'll regret ever asking me for this Park"

"I have no doubt about it Kim"

But life decided to be unfair to Chanyeol at the wrongest time. The day dragged by, he kept calling Jongdae that evening, which resulted into Jongdae turning his phone off after the tenth call, he was later informed by Sehun (Who managed to get the bid for Hayoung) that Jongdae indeed managed to bid for Eunji.

It was on Monday that everything turned out to be not as easy as Chanyeol thought it'll be: Jongdae was nowhere to be seen, he wasn't answering his phone, and, according to Kyungsoo, he didn't attend class that morning.

During lunch, while Chanyeol, Sehun, Jongin, and Kyungsoo were sitting at their usual table, the arrival of Tao startled them.

"GUYS GUYS GUYS I GOT SOME HOT NEWS"

"Yah sit down first" Jongin said and Tao did as he was told still panting.

"I heard from Changsub who heard from Dongwoo who heard from Hakyeon-hyung who heard from Jinki-hyung wh-"

"We got the idea Tao what did you hear?" Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

"Junmyeon hyung... He is dating that hot guy from the club we usually go to"

Eyes widened and suddenly the reason Jongdae did not come wasn't a mystery anymore.

***********

"KIM JONGDAE OPEN THE DAMNED DOOR BEFORE I BREAK IT" He received no answer.

"Hyung you're making a scene" Jongin tried to tug him away from the door as people from adjacent dorm rooms were looking at the five men in front of Jongdae's room.

"I am not moving until he comes out of this room"

"Yah Chanyeol let him be he needs some time alone" Kyungsoo tried to convince him.

"What he really needs is a good slap to snap out of it"

'And to give me details about what he said to Eunji already' He added in his head as he started banging on the door even louder.

Here is the situation: Chanyeol wasn't a bad friend, he did care that Jongdae lost his chance with his two years long crush and that he must be feeling so down, but Chanyeol was convinced that what Jongdae felt toward Junmyeon was nothing but a childish crush and admiration toward his sunbae, and that, given a personality like Jongdae's, he was more likely to find someone else to like in the next few days or so and totally move on from Junmyeon.

The real motive behind why he has been banging like a mad man on his dorm room and causing a ruckus in there for over than two hours, was that he needs to know the date details with Eunji from him while he was still vulnerable, the more Chanyeol waits, the more complicated the matter will become, and he can kiss dating Eunji goodbye.

"YAH ING PARK CHANYEOL YOU'D BETTER OFF I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE HERE FOR" Came Jongdae's voice from behind the door high pitched startling everybody outside.

"Jongdae-ah, let's just talk I jus-"

"GO AWAY SON OF A ALL OF THIS HAPPENED BECAUSE OF YOU!!"

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING YOU MY MOTHER ALMOST RAISED YOU YOU MOTHERFU-"

" YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY OH AND FOR THE DATE? JUNG EUNJI? YOU CAN KISS IT GOODBYE"

It took Tao, Jongin, Sehun, and Kyungsoo another hour to drag a furious Chanyeol away to his house.

****************************************

 

'Meet me at the rooftop' Came Jongdae's message after few days of playing hide and seek with him.

****************************************

 

Chanyeol found him leaning on a wall.

"Jongdae I am sorry really if I knew earlier I wouldn't ha-" He tried to sound as honest as he can.

"Cut the act Yeol I know you're not one bit sorry" But then again, Jongdae knows him like the palm of his hand.

"Alright what do I have to do for you to spill the beans"

"First of all, I need my money back... 500$"

"YAH! Sehun said you won the bid for 200$!"

"Another 300$ for the favor"

"You sly dog"

"It takes one to know another" Jongdae flashed him his fakest smile.

" fine, 500$ will be in your bank account by tonight, what else"

"Let's move to the important part of the deal, you know I was only going to take the 500$ and make everything the easy way, but, given that Junmyeon hyung is gone now all because of you..."

"Get to the point Kim"

"Eunji is out of the country for the next month for whatever reason she told me that day, and we already set the date after she comes back, exchanged phone numbers and sweet words and she is a really nice girl she maybe struck my interest and I might as wel-"

"KIM ING JONGDAE!"

"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT GOSH" Jongdae rolled his eyes "You have to do something for me" A creepy smile appeared on His face and at that exact moment, Chanyeol knew: He shouldn't have trusted Jongdae.

"There is this guy with us at the composing class, he always sits at the back, pretty reserved, doesn't talk to anybody" There was confusion on Chanyeol's face "The one Kyungsoo tried to approach for the assignment last time"

Chanyeol's humble memory barely recalled the boy Jongdae was talking about, he never paid attention to him much less his face, he was of a small built, a detail he remembered from the day Kyungsoo ditched them and approached the weird guy who was wearing a faded black hoodie and had his hair covering his eyes.

"What about him?" Asked Chanyeol with caution.

"Date him" Simply said Jongdae as if it was the most natural thing to say.

"Quit playing Jongdae just tell me what the hell do you want and let's get done with this"

"I am not playing with you, if you ask him out and keep him for until your girl comes back, I will let you go to the date with her, this is my only condition, otherwise, you'd better find someone else cause I am hella not giving her to you"

Chanyeol stared at Jongdae as if he grew another head, was he being serious?

****************************************

 

And so, Chanyeol spent his week thinking of ways to get himself out of this mess, a way to get Eunji without having to relay on Jongdae, but literally, there was no way he'll say 'Hi Eunji I send Jongdae instead of me to bid for you and he decided to be an and made me chose either dating some guy I don't even know who sits at the back of the class or he will keep you for himself' Yeah sure thing.

But God helps him, Jongdae made it clear, either he asks the boy out and dates him for the duration she is away, or he can forget about Eunji... But he wanted Eunji, he really did...

****************************************

 

And that's how he found himself, standing on the rooftop of his university, filled with psychopathic thoughts, regretting ever being friends with Kim Jongdae.

Ever since the crazy deal he made with Jongdae, he started paying attention more to the boy subject of their bet, and he only saw him twice during the only class they share together with the devil himself cough*Jongdae*cough and Kyungsoo, and during those two times, he only managed to get few glimpses of him, not even able to have a clear view of how he looked like since he seems to take a huge liking in wearing the hood of oversized hoodies and his hair was long enough to cover his eyes, and he has his head always down.

He was quiet and didn't talk to anybody, and the only thing that he managed to know about him was that his name was Byun Baekhyun and that he is majoring in composing and producing.

"I left him a note inside his book during the break, I asked him to meet me at 4 pm here"

"Oh, so you have about 5 minutes to meet the boy what's his name again?" Asked Jongdae.

"Baekhyun..."

"Baekhyun, nice name, anyways I am out, make hyung proud" Jongdae winked and received a glare.

"Hyung my you're only two months older"

****************************************

 

Jongdae left and Chanyeol closed his eyes in an attempt to sort his thoughts and clear his mind, this was too much for him, he was not gay, he didn't even know the guy let alone like him. He felt bad about lying and confessing some undying love to him, it just felt wrong. But then again it's no big deal, he will confess, they will date, then he'll apologize and break things up with him, Jongdae gives up on Eunji for him, everything will fall back to normal, easy right?

****************************************

 

And atop of the rooftop of the university Chanyeol waited. Five minutes, ten, twenty. And with every passing minute he watched slip by in his phone screen, his anxiety grew even bigger.

Maybe Baekhyun did not see his note? Chanyeol made sure the boy would see it as soon as he sits on his desk, so, what if he saw it and decided to ignore it?

Lots of 'what ifs' were running in Chanyeol's head as he paced back and forth glancing every now and then at the door waiting for it to magically open on the boy that was currently occupying his mind.

And like that, an hour and few minutes have passed by, and by that time, Chanyeol was convinced that Baekhyun isn't coming any time soon. Sighting, he stood up from the floor, dusted his jeans and lifted his bag ready to go. He was somehow relieved, with Baekhyun not showing up, maybe he can try his chances at changing Jongdae's mind into something do-able.

Just as he tried to reach for the door handle, it magically opened causing him to back away a few steps. His heart skipped a beat as his eyes widened. There in front of him stood a certain equally surprised short boy, dressed in an oversized black hoodie, dark blue jeans, and black converses. The hood of his hoodie was covering his head except for some rebellious black strands that emerged to almost cover his eyes.

Now that Chanyeol took, for the first time, a clearer look at him, he took in the delicate features of the other's face, small button nose, thin lips, white skin (Or is it pale?). Eyes were partially hidden by his hair, but he didn't fail to notice the dark circles under them.

Baekhyun was small. Not just short but really, small was the perfect adjective to describe him. The oversized clothes did a poor job in hiding the fact that Baekhyun was thin and of small corpulence (Except for his shoulders that were surprisingly wide but nonetheless bony).

Chanyeol did not realize he was staring until Baekhyun cleared his throat causing him to return to reality and avert his gaze away.

"Y-You left this on my desk?" Baekhyun raised a baby-blue sticky note that looked familiar to the taller. His voice was small but firm.

"Yes, it was me" Chanyeol spoke as confident as he could, hiding the fact that his heart was going to jump out of his ribcage, not the pleasing kind of heart jump, but the kind when you are about to do something wrong.

"And... What is it that you asked me to meet you here about?" Chanyeol observed as the other boy crumbled the note but still kept it in his hand while not even looking at him. Chanyeol found that behavior extremely weird and suddenly everything he was planning to say vanished away.

"First of all, I'm Chanyeol... Park Chanyeol" Chanyeol composed himself trying not to sound affected by Baekhyun's behavior, and extended his hand in an attempt for a handshake. "We are in the same composition class"

"I know who you are..." Baekhyun finally decided to look at him with a blank expression "But that does not answer my question..." And with that, he deliberately ignored Chanyeol's extended hand and stepped inside the open space.

Hissing under his breath, Chanyeol balled his hand into a fist. This is harder than what was planned. He turned around with the brightest (Read fakest) smile he could ever muster only to find Baekhyun leaning against the wall watching the empty school's soccer fields down.

"So?" Baekhyun began still eyes on the fields'direction.

Chanyeol discretely took a deep breath, this is a do or die, he looked at Baekhyun from behind a good at least one meter separating them.

"Date me" Yes, Chanyeol's improvised plan B, was going straight to the point. All plans of sweet-talking the guy fading away. What was the point when Baekhyun was obviously not going to waver with any of his attempts.

Chanyeol expected at least, some sort of reaction, surprise, shock, a gasp, a blush... But, he was met with a glare. A glare that Baekhyun threw his way as he turned to look at him and suddenly, Chanyeol started regretting ever putting himself in this situation.

"And why would I date you?" The glare was gone as Baekhyun asked with a monotonous voice as he stared at him, arms folded.

"I think I like you" Really Chanyeol? That's your smart replay?

"You think?" His voice was void of emotions, and Chanyeol decided that the hell with it, he is going to play his last card.

"Look... This might sound weird to you, you probably barely know me, we never talked or even interacted before this day but... I-I observed you since the beginning of the year... You sit most of the time by yourself, you don't talk to anybody and... You always seem in your own world... And... I really... Was fascinated and wanted to get closer to you..."

"Your idea of getting closer to someone is by asking them to date you?"

"I don't just want to get closer to you... I like you and I wanted to be straight forward from the start but if you want to start by just getting to know each other I'm fine with that and we'll... See where that gets us next?" At that Baekhyun let out a snort before diverting his gaze to his fingers that still playing with the crumbled note.

"Who said I want to get to know you?" His voice somehow carried some unpleasant emotion that Chanyeol preferred not to know the nature of.

"Why don't you give me a chance? I just confessed my heart content to you" Chanyeol somehow felt like this is not going anywhere, as if this was a failure right from the start, maybe Jongdae wasn't planning on giving up on Eunji and knew from the start that Baekhyun wasn't going to accept dating him from the start and did this only to play him.

"You really sound desperate" Chanyeol can spot the bitter smile on Baekhyun's bowed face.

"I really really want to give it a try... With you"

They stayed in silence for minutes which to Chanyeol seemed like long hours as he watched Baekhyun, on the other hand, a calm expression on his face still playing with the paper in his hands as if there is no individual anxiously waiting for an answer from him.

After what seemed like forever, with Chanyeol not wanting to speak and seem more desperate than he already sounded (As he noticed, Baekhyun wasn't dumb and if he did anymore effort into convincing him he might get suspicious of something), Baekhyun threw him a blank look before silently walking toward the door. In a state of panic, Chanyeol took few strides behind him gently grabbing him by the arm, catching Baekhyun's surprised expression for the first time.

"Was that a no?" There was sadness in Chanyeol's voice that he didn't even try to fake cause for real, he was sad, that he failed based on Baekhyun's silent attempt to leave.

They stayed in that position, Chanyeol's hand on Baekhyun's arm, looking each other in the eyes. A breeze crossed them causing the few strands on Baekhyun's eyes to go up.

For a moment, Chanyeol forgot the situation at hand, how he was trying to trick Baekhyun into dating him, the bet with Jongdae, Eunji. All he thought of, was the pair of brown orbs staring back at him, the long eyelashes that orned them, and at that moment, despite the eye bags, Chanyeol couldn't help but think-

"Your eyes are so beautiful" Chanyeol didn't think twice before saying that in all sincerity causing the other boy to blush for the first time since they met, and oh God, that was a beautiful sight to see.

"Is this your attempt at making me change my mind?" Baekhyun spoke as he smoothly pushed Chanyeol's hand away from his arm and looked away.

"I'm just stating the truth... Your eyes are really beautiful..."

A smile. Chanyeol can swear he saw the shadow of a smile on Baekhyun's face, and suddenly that candle of hope that was almost dimmed off, lighted up giving him the courage to speak up.

"So?"

For all answer, Baekhyun gave him his back and as he reached the door handle "I still have some unfinished work at the library... I finish by seven-thirty..." And with that, he stormed away leaving Chanyeol rooted to his spot still processing what he just heard.

"W-was that a Yes?"