Typhoon Jinjoo

IZ*ONE OS Box

 

There goes those girls again trying to flirt with her. I really want to pull their hair and tell them that she's mine but no, I can't because I am the same as them. I’m just a regular customer in this Danso Cafe (Cross-dressing cafe) next to my neighborhood. 

 

I always come here every after school just to see her and will order some beverage or parfait. The only words we exchange are her welcomes, my order and repeating my order but sometimes she tries to have a conversation with me. It just wouldn't last long because my response makes the atmosphere awkward. This went on for half a year.

 

Many girls ask for her service hence she's called the top batter of this cafe. Those services are not free of course. On your first day they will give you a card where your points will be saved. The more food you order the faster to earn points to get a two-shot pic, a kiss on the cheek, or even spoon feeding.

 

I never used my card. I'm too shy to tell her what I will order and I can't even look at her straight in the eyes, how much more if I got to talk to her. I just sit here in my usual spot and watch those girls in envy because they got the confidence to talk to her. 

 

I'm really pathetic. I'm in love with that handsome girl but I am not doing anything to get closer to her. I let my shyness get the best of me.

 

“Princess, here is your cafe latte.” My thoughts were interrupted by her.


“Thank you.” I whispered.


“The rain has gotten heavier. I heard a typhoon is coming,” She said while looking outside.


“Is that so...” I mentally smacked myself. Really, don't you have anything better to say to her Kim Minjoo!

 

“Eugene, can you come here for a bit.” A girl called for her attention. She smiled at me before going to that girl.

 

*Sigh* I let the chance slip away again. And she's right the rain has gotten heavier. I forgot to bring my umbrella. You're so stupid Minjoo. 

 

I stalled time at the cafe until 7:30 pm because the rain showed no signs of stopping and the cafe is closing early today because the typhoon is already signal no. 2. Almost all of the waiters here are high schoolers so they have to go home.

 

I had to leave the cafe. Fortunately, I found a waiting shed. I am drenched because I ran through this rain just to get some shelter from it. I'm shivering from the coldness. I'm too far from the bus stop that can take me near my home. I didn't bring enough money for taxi. This is such a bad day. I hate this typhoon.

 

A girl with shoulder length hair wearing the same school uniform that I'm wearing also made her way to the waiting shed. That's weird because my school is in the next neighborhood. Why would she come all the way here? Is she like me who goes this far to see the person I like?

 

The bus from this stop finally arrived. I was hoping for the girl to hop inside the crowded bus but sadly no. She is still right beside me and she also has an umbrella. What is stopping her from going home? Is she waiting for someone?

 

I looked at her to see her face clearly. Wait. Her face looks familiar. Eugene?! She looks so cute as a girl. 

 

She suddenly looked at me but this time I didn't look away from her. I continued to stare at her.

 

“This is the first time you looked into my eyes without looking away Princess,” She said and smiled at me. I looked away feeling shy from what I had just done.

 

“Why are you always like that?” She mumbled to herself but I still heard her.

 

All of a sudden she's right in front of me and reaches out her hand. “My name is Ahn Yujin. Nice to meet you.”

 

“Why are you telling me your name? Isn't it forbidden to tell your customers your real name?”

 

“Yeah but we are going to the same school anyway. We're bound to see each other sooner or later.” I hesitantly reach her hand. Despite the cold season her hand was still so warm and soft.

 

“I'm Kim Minjoo. Nice to meet you.” She shook our hands with enthusiasm.

 

“I finally got the chance to talk to you Minjoo-ssi. Can I call you Minjoo?”

 

“Yes.. ” Minjoo. This is the first time she called me by my name. 

 

She took out something from her bag. “Here. I will lend to you my jacket. At least that will lessen your shivering.” She passed the jacket to me.

 

“Make sure you take off your upper uniform. Don't worry I'll cover you with my umbrella so that you can change with ease.”

 

“Is it really okay for you to lend me your jacket?” I asked.

 

“It's alright and you can always give it back to me since we see each other everyday. Now change.”

 

She opened her umbrella and turned away from me. I changed fast so that I won't make her wait too long. The jacket smells nice, strawberry.

 

“I'm done.”

 

“Minjoo, is the bus you'll ride in the next two bus stop stations from here?” She asked and faced me. I just nodded in surprise. How did she know?

 

“Since we are going to the same school I'm sure you live near there too.” Can she read my mind?

 

“I can't read minds but I can read your expression. You are too easy to read Minjoo.” I blushed because of the embarrassment.

 

“Let's go there together and please don't be shy.” I just nodded. How can I not be shy? I am with the girl I love.

 

“Please let me hold the umbrella!” I told her.

 

“Eh?” She turned her head to me.

 

“Please let me hold the umbrella. It’s all I can do for you now.” I repeated but this time with confidence.

 

“Okay. Here you go.” She gave me the umbrella happily.

 

She was talking the whole time we were walking and riding the bus. Me, on the other hand, was silent the whole time busy listening to her voice.

 

I learned that she works at the cafe because her cousin needed more workers at the beginning. After working a while there she started to love being in that cafe that's why she is still there even though her cousin has hired enough girls to keep the cafe running. 

 

I also learned that our age is the same. Her class is 2-A while I'm from 2-B. Our classrooms are next to each other. She was always been this close to me.

 

She walked me all the way to my home and it is still raining.

 

“Are you sure you'll be alright by yourself? You can come in if you want. My parents are not home.” I want to repay her kindness to me.

 

“Well if it’s really alright with you, then why not.” We went inside my house and lead her to the living room.

 

“Feel at home and wait for me. I will just change my clothes and make us a hot chocolate.” I said as I open the TV.

 

“Take your time.” She said and searched for an interesting channel to watch.

 

After changing and finishing making 2 cups of hot chocolate I went back to Yujin. I heard the TV brought the news while giving the hot chocolate to her. 

 

“Typhoon Jinjoo will be gone in the next 2 days and it is confirmed that classes are suspended tomorrow. Back to you.”

 

I like the name of the typhoon. Its sounds like a coupling name of Yujin and I.

 

“Um. Minjoo? Can I sleepover? The rain sounds even worse now. Ah! How about your parents.”

 

“They won't be coming home. Nothing can stop them from working. Not even typhoons...” I said as my voice slowly fading.

 

“I can relate to you. My parents are the same too.” Her expression turned sad and just stared at the cup.

 

“You must have been lonely too right.” She looked at me intensely. I stared back with the same intensity. Who knows how long our staring contest lasted. 


Yujin slowly leaned closer and touched my cheeks with her hands. I feel like I'm being hypnotized by her eyes. I can't move. As the gap between our faces lessened, I closed my eyes. 

 

My mind went on cloud nine when I felt her soft lips into mine. I can't believe I'm kissing the girl that I have always watched and loved. The kiss was so pure I feel like I can die happily now. 

 

My bliss was interrupted when she pulled away.

 

“I love you Minjoo.” My heart beat even faster when I heard that. Still shock from everything happened, Yujin continued and held my hands.

 

“I know you are shocked right now. But please believe me when I say I love you. Ever since you started going there I had always keep my eyes on you. You are very different from the others. You’re mysterious. Just a few seconds of looking at your eyes makes my heart beat faster.” Yujin stopped for a while to take a deep breath.

 

“Please be my girlfriend!” She bowed. My vision started to get watery. I'm crying. I can't believe this is happening. If this is a dream then I don't want wake up, ever!

 

“Why are you crying? Did I upset you?” Yujin started to panic. Ugh! I can't take it anymore. I kissed her, this time with passion. I gave everything I got, those months that I wanted to kiss her. I want it to reach her.

 

"I love you too Yujin! I always have." I hugged her tightly.

 

"I'm so happy right now," Yujin said and hugged me back.

 

We never let go of each other that night. I had never been so happy to have Yujin in my life. Although she still works at the cafe and I have to resist myself from hurting those girls. I don't have a choice but to let them go because after Yujin's working hours I can have her only for myself. Thanks to typhoon Jinjoo and my love was granted.

 

The End.


•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

AN:

This is originally an AKB oneshot that I wrote years ago. I just changed the characters. Get the feel of cringiness by my teenage self hahaha. 


Next oneshot is Kkuchaen!