🥀00

THORNS🥀

The day had come that the royal consort would pick a poor girl to enter the palace. You were living in a  small village, just outside of the city and you were one of those poor girls. You lived in a small apartment with your mother and two little brothers. You were the head of the household since the day your father had left your mother. You worked in a bakery in the morning and in a pub at night. Thanks to this you almost didn’t sleep. You had insomnia but you never complained about it and just lived from day to day as it was the only way for you to pay the rent.

You were on your lunch break when you saw girls run around, getting their hair and nails done. It was a sight to see. You were eating an apple as one of the girls started screaming at her younger sister for ruining her dress and you couldn’t help but chuckle at this. The girls would attend an official ball in the city. Sometimes you wished you could go as well, just to check it out but you couldn’t go as you had to take care of your family. There was no money for expensive dresses or makeup and new hairdos. Also, your little brothers were not old enough yet to work, so there was no way you could leave. There was another reason though, you didn’t attend the ball. You had special skills. You could look into someone’s heart when you touched the person and when you got upset you could actually hurt someone really badly. People in the village called you a mutant but weren’t afraid of you, which was a blessing.

You were rare and definitely not welcome in the palace, which was fine because you did know a few things about the princes that didn’t make them attractive in your eyes. Apparently, they were really rude and selfish. You did once see one of the princes throw a girl to the ground, you were not sure who it was but it happened, since then you were thanking your own mind for not attending those balls.

“Y/n?”

“Hmm?”

“Aren’t you going?”

“To what?”

“The ball of course.”

You stared at your only friend who just came back from the hairdresser. She looked beautiful with her hair like that. “I’m not going.”

“Why not?”

“Because I have to work silly.”

“Yeah but.”

“It’s fine, I really don’t want to go and look at it this way, who will beat you now.”

“Very funny even if you would attend you wouldn’t get picked.” She pushed you gently and it made you chuckle. You could always count on her for being savage. “Sure sure. Just go get ready, I will take you to the gate.”

“Are you sure? Do you have time?”

“Yes I have thirty minutes left, so hurry up.” You pushed her towards her house. While you were waiting, the streets began to get crowded with more girls. You laughed at some of the dresses you saw and also felt sorry for those same girls. Your best friend came running back and you smiled because she looked stunning. You were lowkey wondering which prince would be the one this time. “It’s prince Jimin.”

“How did you?”

“I know you Y/n.”

You wanted to put your arm around her shoulder but changed your mind as you saw her dress. You were covered in flower and didn’t want to ruin her nice dress. You were in old jeans, which had holes at the knees and a black shirt on. You were wearing worn out sneakers and your hair was a messy bun, there was no way you could touch her right now.

You walked her to the gate and waved as she left smiling. You sighed and turned around the second she was out of sight when you got knocked down.

“YAH!” You yelled as you got back up. The second you did, you regretted your outburst because in front of you brushing off the flower from his clothes was non-other that prince Jimin. He looked really annoyed. You immediately started to pray he wouldn’t hurt you.

“I am so sorry your highness.” You bowed deeply and didn’t meet his eyes. You knew the basic etiquette but there was no way you would go on your knees for him.

“You should watch where you going.”

“Yes, I’m sorry.”

He was quiet and when you looked up, you noticed that he was definitely checking you out but there was nothing you could do about that. “Are you okay?”

His question surprised you and for a second you didn’t know what to say. “Well?”

“I-i’m fine.” But in reality, you had probably scraped your knees and bruised your wrist but that wasn’t really important right now.

“Good.” He left together with his entourage. You walked back to when your name got called. This was something that was strange because not a lot of people called you by your real name, except for your mother, who yelled your real name whenever she got angry. You turned around and stared at prince Jimin who was now smiling.

“Why are you not getting ready?’

“Getting ready?”

“Yes, you do know which day it is right?”

“It’s Saturday, why?”

“I think it will be a shame if you don’t join the other ladies.”

“I see, well I’m sorry but I have to disappoint you, your highness. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go back to work.” You bowed and made your way to the bakery. You saw prince Jimin leave and you instantly felt better. That is until your mother came running in. She was completely out of breath but not from running. She was angry.

“YOU BRAT!” She actually screamed at you. The customers were visibly startled ad you were already apologizing to them when your boss approached you. “Please handle this.” He hissed at you. You sighed deeply and took off the apron. You dragged her with you and stopped when you were out of sight.

“Mom, why are you yelling at me?”

“How dare you go against the prince?!”

“What are you even talking about?”

“He wanted you to join.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“You are so dumb sometimes. Prince jimin likes you.”

You chuckled at her fantasy and pushed her playfully. “Mom don’t be ridiculous. I’m not even pretty.”

“Sometimes I worry about you.” She shook her head as she walked away. She literally gave up on you right now. This often happened and she knows that if she had touched you, you would’ve known the truth. You were still chuckling as you walked back to the bakery. “How ridiculous. Prince Jimin likes me..’ You ended up laughing out loud as you put on the apron.

“What is so funny?”

“Nothing, just my silly mother.”

You went back to work and the entire day went by so fast that you didn’t even notice that it was already time to close the shop until your boss told you so. You put the apron back and quickly grabbed your things. The second you stepped outside you stopped. Your eyes almost fell from its sockets because in front of you stood the royal guard together with the royal consort. You looked behind you to see if they were looking at someone else but there was no one but you. Your face was bright red by know and you really wished you could disappear.

“All make way for your royal highness Prince Jimin.” Everyone moved aside to let him through. You started to feel annoyed by him. He was more like a royal pain in the . “We meet again.” he smiled sweetly as he stopped in front of you.

“Yes, and why is that?”

He moved even closer and kept smiling at you. You had to give it to him. He was really handsome and you couldn’t stop yourself from looking at his lips, as they were full and soft looking. He had definitely kissable lips. You almost hit yourself for that thought.

“What do you think?”

“I really don’t know.” You shrugged as you looked around to see if there was something that made him come back but you couldn’t think of anything. “Since you couldn’t come to the ball, I had to cancel it.”

“What?! Why?”

“You do know why we hold these balls right?”

“To find a servant?”

He started to laugh and you weren’t sure if you liked his laugh or if you found him just really annoying.

“A servant? You are hilarious.”

“Well, I’m glad that I can entertain you, your highness.” You added sarcastically. This cracked him up even more and for a second you wondered what was wrong with him. That is until he grabbed your hands.

“We hold these balls to pick out a wife.”

“A wife? Why do you want a poor girl as your wife?”

“It’s a custom in our family.”

“Weird custom if you’d ask me.”

“Why?”

“Aren’t you afraid the girl will only marry you because of your money?”

“Hmm, not really.”

“Okay, but what does that have to do with me?”

“Ah yes, you’re so funny I almost forgot why I am here.”

“Okay, so?”

‘I have set my eyes on someone.”

“Really, how great, please go bother her.” You tried to walk away from him but he pulled you back. “I’m bothering her right now though.”

“Right now, but…” That’s when it hit you. You looked up and took a step back from him when you saw his smirk and playful expression.

“Y-you d-don’t mean?”

“I pick you Y/n, as my wife, please take good care of me from now on.”