Masquerade

To The World [incomplete, hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Genevy, Alice, Jasmine, Katherine, and Skyler were hanging out in the living room of their share apartment after Skyler had called for an emergency meeting. They wondered what it was about since it was Valentine's Day and Skyler should have been on a romantic date with her boyfriend. It was winter break and the quartet were enjoying their vacation until the new 2019 academic year started up in less than two weeks. This would be their final year at SM University. The five have been living in the same apartment home since their first year of university as they shared rent, utilities, and other fees. If it wasn't for Skyler, none of the four girls would have met such a lucky circumstance for their friendship with Skyler to form to what it is now.

The other four were close friends with Jasmine and Katherine being twin sisters and Alice and Genevy being cousins. The quartet moved to Seoul from the states for schooling given the opportunity to do so. Skyler happened to be looking for roommates at the time and came upon the quartet who were looking for somewhere to live while attending SM University. Despite all of them being in different departments and going for different majors, the group of five always found time to hang out and rant to one another. Like right now where Skyler was ranting to them about something serious in her personal life.

"He's been dodging my calls and messages lately with vague replies. For the past month he's been canceling on our dates, too, at the very last minute."

Skyler continued her rant as the other four listened intentlly as they were used to Skyler's ranting of her boyfriend who were in a secret relationship yet didn't know who her boyfriend was.

"I really miss spending with him and he bailed on tonight's date of all days. It's Valentine's day! Our one hundredth day, too! I even got him this nice dress shirt that matches my dress I just bought, too."

Skyler sighed loudly.

"All week this week for Red Day Festival I've sent and bought him a whole bunch of couple stuff, but like hardly any response from him about it. Am I doing too much? I mean, it's also his friend, Jaehyun's birthday, and they could be planning stuff, but I should matter too since it's a lovey-dovey couple month."

She sighed again while running a hand through her alrady dishelved hair.

"I don't know what to do. I went to his dorm to check up on him because he said he was sick and I thought I could make him some rice porridge or something, but he wasn't there! I messaged him what he was doing and he told me that he just took some medicine and was now resting. Bull. I was there. He's not there resting."

The quartet looked at one another while having a silent discussion on who should comfort their friend. None of them volunteered, but they didn't have to as Skyler chose herself while slumping against Alice who was closes to her.

"Alice, is he ignoring me?" Skyler whined in a baby tone causing Alice to scrunched up her face in disgust.

"You're really asking the wrong person for this, Skyler. Katherine or Jasmine could better help you with this since they're more experienced."

"I mean," Katherine interjected, "You guys have been dating secretly since last year of November, right? Don't you think there's something a little fishy about it?"

"What's fishy about it?" Skyler asked sobering up from her little mopey mood while casting her friend a pointed look. "Do you think he's tired of me?"

"I don't think that's what Katherine meant by that, Skyler." Jasmine reasoned. "I think she's hinting at the two of you to reveal your status to the world since secret dating causes misunderstandings and what not. Anyways, why are you guys in a secret relationship in the first place?"

Skyler was about to answer, but she paused with open. She ended up closing a second later not sure if she wanted to tell her friends the truth. Genevy noticed the uncertain facial expression of Skyler's along with her eyes darting from left to right as well as the subtle bottom lip bite.

"We won't judge you Skyler. We've been friends for like four years now and you've helped us out a lot. Let us help you out. If anything, Katherine's a pysch major. We can have her analyze you."

"No thanks. I don't need another therapist in my life." Skyler brushed them off with a sad tone while standing up to head off to her room. "I'm just gonna take a nap. I'll join you guys for dinner later."

The quartet watched their friend's retreating back until she disappeared around the corner.

"You know, she's been real mopey lately." Genevy commented once Skyler was for sure gone.

"I know and besides her boyfriend ordeal, I don't know what else it could be." Katherine agreed.

"Not just mopey guys, but her mind has been all over the place this past month." Alice added with a worried look.

"That's true. She usually has her own life in control, but I wonder if something's been weighing on her mind all this time." Jasmine stated with a concern expression.

Before the other girls could say more, their heads shot in the direction of where they heard Skyler's scream. Just as they were about to rush to her, Skyler came running out of her room and back into the living room a bit hysteric.

"This is cheating on me!"

Skyler shoved her phone towards her friends to see.

Katherine grabbed Skyler's hand to steady her movements as neither of them could properly see what she was trying to show them.

"Skyler, Skyler, please calm down. We can't see."

Skyler passed her phone to Katherine as she started pacing back and forth in front of them while ranting quietly to herself. The other four peered at Skyler's phone.

"What are we supposed to be looking at?" Alice asked as she only saw a picture of several people at what looks like to be a social gathering.

"He went with another female to my step-mom's friend's daughter's engagement party!" Skyler informed them. "I asked if he wanted to go since we could sort of make our relationship known and he said he was busy that night. That's why I didn't want to go because I didn't want to go alone."

"Which one is he?" Genevy asked as there were three possible males that could be her boyfriend.

"The tall guy on the left with blondish-brownish hair weari-"

"Ji Hansol is your secret boyfriend?!" Jasmine exclaimed with a shocked tone. "You're dating the Ji Hansol?"

Skyler cast her a nonchalant look with a nod.

"Mmhmm."

"Who's this Ji Hansol?" Genevy asked with a questioningly look. "Is he someone important?"

"He's one of the most eligible bachelors that attends our university along with his other large group of friends." Jasmine explained with an incredulous look. "You didn't know? You've been attending SM University and you didn't know."

"Not really. Sh-"

Just as Genevy was gonna ask if she should, Katherine cut her off.

"Don't, Genevy. You're gonna get Jasmine talking about them."

Genevy ended up finishing her sentence.

"Should I though?"

"Yes."

Katherine groaned as Jasmine started listing some of Hansol's friends.

"There's Johnny Suh, Moon Taeil, Qian Kun, Kim Dongyoung, but he prefers Doyoung. Um, there's also Nakamoto Yuta, Jung Yoonho, but he, too, prefers Jaehyun. Ah, who else? Oh yeah, there's Lee Taeyong, Mark Lee, Dong Sicheng, but better known as WinWin, and like loads more. Super loads more as there's more than twelve of them which I'll explain more later on. Oh there's even a Thai guy, too. Chitta-something. I always forget his full name, but he goes by Ten. There's also Lucas who is also part Thai and part Chinese."

"Chittaphon Leechaiyakul." Both Alice and Genevy interjected with Ten's real name.

"Yeah, wait. How do you guys know that? Are you guys related because none of you guys have the same surname."

"Jasmine, both Genevy and Alice are cousins despite having different last names, too." Katherine reminded her sister.

"Oh, right."

"We're cousins through our mothers' sides." Alice explained. "Also, we met Lucas through Ten and know he's part Thai, too."

"Yeah, we just didn't think they were part of the whole rich and single status on campus thing." Genevy commented with a disbelief look. "It's super weird as we're close, but then we never talk about our family backgrounds."

"Hmm, well our parents do, but we don't really pay attention to any of that." Alice added with a shrug.

Before Jasmine could ask further questions, the quartet heard loud sobbing coming from Skyler as they had momentarily forgotten about her situation.

"Skyler?" Katherine asked cautiously.

"I'm so sorry." Skyler apologized all of a sudden as the quartet went to comfort her.

"Why are you saying sorry for?" Alice asked while rubbing her back. "There's no need for you to say sorry."

"It's because I've been keeping my real social status secret from you guys." She tried to explained through her cries. "I haven't totally told you who exactly I am."

"Oh, c'mon, Skyler. We know who exactly you are. You're the Skyler Lee majoring in Political Sciences and International Relations who likes flowers, especially Begonias, and is a sore loser when playing board games." Katherine comforted the girl with a smile.

"No, no. There's more to it than that. That's only a little part of me that's free do so since my father allowed it when my mother died." Skyler admitted with a sad sigh before confessing the rest. "Lee was my mother's surname and I took it for use when I started SM University with Skyler as it's my English name. My actual name is Park Haneul, the daughter of Sulhu Group's chairman, Park Geonim."

Alice le

Please log in to read the full chapter