To the sky, you and I

Above the Sky

Let’s go up high to the end of the blue sky

You and I together, forever together

Look around, look at the world

The scenery where we were together

Are beautifully spread across

I hope everything was alright. Like I'm sleeping on my bed hugging my favorite plushies and dreaming about something good.

This is my only ticket to escape this harsh reality.

"Wake up, sleepy cherry~"

Ahhh that sweet voice... Hearing it makes me feel recharged even after a long day at work.

I opened my eyes and greeted me was a familiar face with a huge plaster on her cheeks, but despite that, she's still beautiful. She looks very seductive with her tank top and shorts. You can clearly see her toned muscles and having a bandage that wraps her left arm and right leg makes her more attractive than ever.

Let’s meet eyes and breathe heavily

Our faces are spreading without limitations

Across the wide sky in blue

Please hold my hand

"Uhm, are you awake now or are you still sleeping?" She asked me "Are you sick or something?

She's waking me up by tapping my shoulder lightly. "Hmmm?"

"Aigoo, why are you sleeping here? Just go to the couch, your back may hurt with that sleeping position."

I just realized that I've been sleeping on the table, and a thick book was in my face. Pretty much a difficult sleeping position.

"I need to go." I said, "I almost forgot that I have to help Hitomi and Yuri in the surgery room. To put Yena's arm back into place, no joke, you know how much of a she is right?."

She held my hand and oh boy, I won't lie that my heart beat frantically in just a snap "You almost forgot that surgery was done 3 hours ago."

I was dumbfounded. My subconsciousness was facepalming real hard right now. I also realized that she's laughing, and I find it very cute.

"What's so funny Chaeyeon?" I said while looking sternly at her. I pretend that I'm angry but in reality, I'm not. 

"Have you learn your lesson Kkura? To never forget to sleep on the couch" She replied and gave me a smirk.

Oh crap here we go again, just stop doing that Lee Chaeyeon. That will be the reason for my death.

"Now drink this, I prepared it for you while you were sleeping." She handed me a cup of hot milk. "You know that milk is going to help you to remember things often."

"Thank you for this!" I muttered before taking a sip. "But curse you for teasing me."

She replied to me again with a full blast laugh. Wow, she never gets tired huh?

"It's good news that a new batch of food supplies already came, I'm getting sick of eating crackers for the past month!" Chaeyeon said while whining like a kid.

"Pretty much for a warrior like you. You deserve a five-star dish later." I said still sipping a hot milk

And that was the cue for Chaeyeon's stomach to rumble and we both laughed

"I guess we should eat right now before your poor stomach bursts." I chuckled and she nodded.

 

We were making our way outside of the barracks when something red started dripping from Chaeyeon's leg, it's happening again...

"Oh, it's bleeding." She said nervously and she's clearly in pain because of that big wound on her right leg.

I scurried on my mini closet and immediately got my first aid kit to patch up her wounded leg.

Her leg was badly wounded to the point that It needs to be amputated before it causes her death, but thank God and my skills that I patched it before it was too late. I know that I forgot to sleep on the couch but I still remember that she got that wound 3 years ago

But then again, that wound on her leg keeps on bleeding and I won't hesitate to patch it up for as many times as I can.

"Ya, you need to be careful. Your wound was and likes to bleed every time---" I'm still on the process of patching up her wounds when I noticed that she's staring at me

Yes, I like Chaeyeon. She may be the brutal one when it comes to war but she's very gentle every time we're together. If this is a staring contest, I will lose in a snap.

Oh God, please stop the time and let this moment stay for long.

Go up the end of the sky

Go above the clouds

The ocean-colored scenery is wonderful,

It’s endlessly spread across

I wish the time would stop

"Ohhhhh love is in the bloody air~."

"You guys want to stay like that? Go kiss each other!"

A sudden interruption makes my blood boil. I give them a glare that makes them shiver.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Chaeyeon ask. I notice that she got irritated.

"I apologize for bursting your bubbles, it's dinner time folks and I'm so hungry!" Nako exclaimed.

I sighed. I guess we need to eat first, but this is so unfair! "What's in today's menu then?"

"Lucky you, it's pork steak with crab soup."

"Now get up slowpokes before the dish gets cold. Chop chop!" Nako exclaimed again and she disappeared in a blink 

"She's fast for a midget warrior like her." Eunbi chuckled. "Come on we have some good meal to eat."

I got stunned when Chaeyeon held my hand and we went outside together. Too much for my heart to handle.

 

To the sky, you and I

To the sky, we fly up

To the sky, whether this is a reality or a dream it doesn’t matter

To the sky

Go up, go up, go up

In the middle of the night, we ate wholeheartedly. We are lucky to have good supplies of food, we've only been eating crackers for the past month.

And I'm still lucky that heaven allowed me to stay alive. Being involved in the middle of the war was not easy. Our lives are at the edge of the cliff

I'm working as a nurse in the air force army for almost 6 years and every time there's a war, we need to go with them to heal air force soldiers and also innocent civilians that became victims because of endless war.

On the brighter side, I got friends to lean on despite my deadly journey. And that was the time that I met Lee Chaeyeon.

Way back 3 years ago when I met her, she was was as good as dead, with her stomach and leg wounds, all she needed was to sign her own death certificate. And the rest was history.

Chaeyeon was a soldier, serving the air force army with all her might. She was one of the high-ranking soldiers despite her innocent face. I've gotten to know her really well for the past 3 years. She's just like a normal girl when she's off duty, she loves pulling pranks on her fellow soldiers.

And I found that I'm in love with her.

But I'm afraid to show it. Why should I confess in the middle of the war? What if she will reject my feelings towards her?

"Oh, my crab she's out of herself again."

"Ya Chaeyeon, did you put some potion in her hot milk?!"

"Are you freaking nuts? Why would I do that to her?"

"Don't you tell me she's pregnant?!?!"

"Drinking too much milk makes you crazy Yabuki."

I just snapped with that nonsense statements from my friends and gave them a glare one by one.

"I'm glad she's okay again..." Hitomi mumbled 

My silent inner self gets distracted again when Chaeyeon held my hand all of a sudden. "You should continue your good rest after we eat."

"But I'm not sleepy anymore---"

"No buts, just listen to your commander and sleep. We have to prepare and you need to gain energy. Understood?"

I just nodded and obeyed her. Reality hits me again, tomorrow, it's time for war again

 

When the cool breeze grazes my cheeks

Our memories, with a smile on our face

Write it on the clouds so it won’t disappear

Whenever I want to see it, I’ll be the only one to take it out and see it

In the next day, everyone was preparing for the big war. Heavy loaded guns, grenades, and even the smallest knife are ready to use. And even our weapons like first aid kit is already equipped.

"Be careful out there my princess. Don't forget to pray before the war starts." Hitomi said while fixing Chaewon's uniform

"I will Hitomi, and don't worry about me. I'm just kicking some bad es out there." Chaewon replied with a wink.

Chaewon was indeed a lucky one for having Hitomi on her life. 

"Listen to whatever command that Eunbi unnie will say, you always put your life at risk because of your deadly antics you dimwit!" Yuri exclaimed while patching Yena's arm very tight that makes the ducky scream.

"Oww that hurts! Be gentle sometimes aish." Yena groans and she's on the verge of crying because of pain.

"You deserve it! You always get me worried as hell!"

"I'm sorry~ How about we date after this war, call?" Yena said while looking at Yuri with puppy eyes

"Think about the war first! That's important!" Yuri walked away and left Yena dumbfounded.

"Wait for me love!" 

Yena and Yuri's relationship was way too different than Hitomi and Chaewon. They like Tom and Jerry getting random fights but at the end of the day, they still love each other.

This mission was different. The nurses should stay in the camp while the soldiers will fight. We used to join with soldiers in their mission before.

I'm just worried about Chaeyeon. I want to go with her, but I can't because of the set up of this special mission. Our lives will be in danger if we go with them.

"You okay Sakura?" Chaeyeon said and show her signature smile.

"Are you going to be okay with this mission? I'm worried..." I replied

"Trust me on this, I will come back okay?" She held my face. I know her capabilities as a soldier but you can't erase my worry at her.

The soldiers are ready to go to the war zone. They all hop in at the truck.

"When I come back, I will court you for real."

She whispered and I'm aware that she's kidding, she obviously wants to throw joke to make her fellow soldiers laugh at her random antics. But she's wrong, I clearly heard that despite she's very far from where I stand.

"I heard that you idiot!" I said, her fellow soldiers laugh very hard and started to tease Chaeyeon. She smiled shyly and hide at Eunbi's back.

"Come back in one piece Chaeyeon-ah, and we'll talk about that," I shouted. She's waving at me and gave her signature smirk. And they go away to go their helicopter.

My heart that floats, you and I inside the clouds

Our image that reflects upon your eyes

I want to give every pretty thing to you

My love

And that was the last time that I saw her alive.

Chaeyeon never came back on that day. She's the only one who died because she sacrificed herself to retrieve the territory from terrorist. She's been brutally killed according to her best buddy Eunbi, who was critically injured along with her fellow soldiers.

"Sakura. I think this is for you." Eunbi handed me a piece of paper with drops of blood was shown. It was a handwritten letter.

I saw my name, and I can't help it to cry while reading the content of the letter.

 

Miyawaki Sakura,

This letter was made a long time ago. I don’t know why I am writing this because I really hope that this letter never gets to you, because if it does that means I am dead. I just wanted to say thank you from the very beginning you save my life until the last time I breathe. I'm very grateful that you came into my life and together we take the deadly journey of being heroes in this country.

You already know the harsh reality right? That we will not live forever. I'm not afraid to die. I just hate the thought of not seeing you again. Just because I have passed away does not mean I am not with you. I’ll always be there looking over you, keeping you safe.

So whenever you feel lonely just close your eyes and I’ll be there right by your side. Like we use to do when we are both on the helicopter, roaming above the sky.

I want you to know just how important you are to me. The memories that we have shared over the last few years have been the best of my life. Although it may seem like my life was cut short. I lived a life that most can only dream of.

I really did love you with all I had, you were everything to me.

Please take care of yourself. I will be waiting for you up here.

I will love you forever and will see you again. 

Lee Chaeyeon

 

The breakdown of my life was finally approaching me. All I can do is to cry. It was painful but I believe I can overcome this and continue my journey without her.

Thank you for your bravery Chaeyeon-ah. This country will forever grateful for your sacrifices. I was happy because you go on to that bloody war with a smile on your face.

Please don't forget me, don't forget to look at me down here because I will never forget to look above the sky and wait for the day that we will meet again.

 

To the sky, whenever it is, always remember this day

To the sky, let’s call each others’ names

To the sky, whether this is a reality or a dream it doesn’t matter

To the sky

Go up, go up, go up