Recrudescence part 1

Skyrim au Oneshots

set a few years after You're enough

          Usually, for a supply run, Jinki sent at least two Master mages, but with the blizzard coming in and a sickness running through the College there weren’t many to give such a task to. Which, left him and Jonghyun usually, but the locals of Winterhold had gotten bold of late, harassing mages as they walked from the inn for a drink or to socialize. With so many mages down for the count because of the illness, Jonghyun had taken most of the guard duties out by the front gate and had even begun to mages to and from the inn at night. The supply run was mostly ingredients the College was lacking in order to combat the illness running rampant throughout its walls and Jinki had been confident in his ability to complete the run alone (Even if Taemin in all his sniffles and snot had begged to go with him).

          The trip down to the Mill where the College had shipments of supplies sent from Windhelm had been uneventful. The blizzard was freezing, but Jinki kept himself as warm as he could on top of his furs and cloak Jonghyun had been adamant about tying around his shoulders before he left. Returning with the large box with a rope tied around it, dragging it easily through the snow with slight assistance from telekinesis, it almost seemed too easy. Every so often his foot would slip on a hidden patch of ice beneath the snow on the stone path, but it was easy to catch himself before he fell down completely.

          Late at night, or technically early morning, Winterhold is almost a ghost town as he made it into the city’s limit. The general store is closed, a few candles visibly lit in the Jarl’s house, and the only noise to be heard over the whistling wind is the bustle of the Inn to the right of him as he pulls the supplies toward the ramp leading to the College. The wards are up at the front gate curiously, but without a guard, that was the new protocol. A movement to the left catches his eye and he tensed when he realized it’s a city guard. His ear twitched slightly when he heard the guard sneer. “I hope your little human enjoyed his night.” 

          Panic gripped Jinki’s heart, but he didn’t allow the guard the satisfaction of seeing it on his face. He kept his chin up, calmly saying. “Have a good night, Sir.” 

          As soon as the supplies were around the corner of the ramp leading up to the College, Jinki let go of the rope and sprinted the rest of the way to the last gate. He didn’t know what had happened if anything, or if the guard was just trying to rile him up, but nothing was ever good when it came to the guards of Winterhold. 

------

          He hadn’t wanted Taemin to come with him and the few residents of the college recovered enough to take a trip to the inn in town, but the young mage was persistent. Something he shared with his older brother that was for sure. The boy had grown in the last couple of years, still slim and lanky as his weight failed to keep up with his height spurt. Unfortunately, it was clear the boy would be taller than him and Jonghyun hated it. He figured if he got the boy back in one piece and into bed, a little trip for some hot cider and bard music wouldn’t hurt. Jonghyun snorted as Taemin hiccuped loudly just behind him, slipping from the front door of the inn. “Your brother would have my head if he knew I let you down here with you being sick.” 

          “I doubt he’d behead his husband.” This time Taemin burped, eyes widening in shock before he giggled. “Besides, it’s healing me.” 

          With a roll of his eyes, Jonghyun held open the door for the other two young mages he was escorting to and from the inn tonight. “Come on. Let’s get back.” 

          The snow falling was very light and slow, glistening in the light from the stars and torches lit and hooked on the buildings around the town. Usually, it would be brighter, but the moon was nowhere in sight in the sky, clouds covering it or maybe it was in the darker state as Jinki liked to talk about from his tomes he loved to read. The entrance to the ramp leading up to the college was well lit, permanent mage lights glowing brightly in the dimness of night. The inn wasn’t that far from it, the closest building to the college besides the general store. Most of the night, things have been slow and content, even the few guards in the inn paying them no mind with their usual snide remarks and glare half-hidden by their helms. After living here predominantly in the last few years, Jonghyun had gotten used to the names sneered at him as he moved about the town, but that didn’t prevent him from immediately tensing when one was hissed like a snake in the darkness. He pulled his ax from his back slowly, fingers flexing along the leather-bound handle with a nod toward the ramp. “Taemin lead the others, quickly.”

          “I’m not leaving you.” 

          “Your brother left me here to protect you. You will not be harmed under my watch. It’s probably nothing, remember to put the wards up.” Taemin stood stock still in front of him, bottom lip trembling just a little, and Jonghyun prepared himself for more of a fight. Taemin’s jaw clenched, teeth probably grinding in his mouth, before he nodded, grabbing the other two mages’ hands and tugging them towards the opening. As soon as they were close enough, Jonghyun’s eyes flicked around him in the darkness. There was a glint in the blackness leading to the cliff where half the town had fallen into the sea some years before. Jonghyun took a deep breath as a few guards stepped from the shadows, lowering his weapon only slightly, wishing he had worn his heavy armor instead of the light leather and a cloak for warmth. While there were always guards roaming the city at all hours, something about this had the hair on the back of his neck and along his arms standing on end. “Evening gentlemen, ladies. Something wrong?” 

          “You’re the one with your weapon out.”

          Jonghyun shifted his feet, a little closer to his fighting stance, “Any experienced fighter does so when they hear things bumping in the night.”

          He felt the guards circling behind him, cutting him off from the college entrance, now bright blue as Taemin completed the wards. No matter what happened, Taemin and the other mages would be alright, and that relief made Jonghyun feel a bit lighter. “An experienced fighter also doesn’t send away friends before a fight.”

          With eyebrows raised, eyes flicking over the gathering of guards before remaining on the leader. “Will there be a fight?” 

          The man grinned, “Not much of one, no.” 

          Jonghyun slid his back foot a bit, fingers flexing on the handle and rocking a bit on his toes as anticipation filled his chest. He smirked then, “Oh, finally something we can agree on.”

-----

          The door to his room was locked and Jinki almost dropped his key his hand was shaking so hard as he lifted it to the lock. He managed to lock it behind him before taking the stairs two at a time. When he stepped through the large archway Kibum and Taemin were hovered over by the alchemy table, the younger mage running to and from the shelves along the wall for ingredients. Kibum’s back was towards him, muscles moving under the thin tunic he usually wore when he slept, as he ground the items Taemin brought to him. Jinki swallowed thickly, barely recognizing his own voice when he questioned, “Where is he?” 

          Kibum whipped around, dark hair falling into his eyes, skin a bit damp. He looked exhausted, far more than Jinki could remember him being since coming to the college and traveling the land alongside Minho. “He’s on the bed. Jinx- It looks worse than it is.” 

          He peeled out his furs and cloak, tossing them towards the enchanting table as he rounded his garden and completely stopped in his tracks. With everything in him, he hoped Kibum was correct. Jonghyun looked so small and vulnerable on the bed, with more bruised skin than healthy from what he could see along his arms and face. Slowly he crossed the distance between them, sitting on the sliver of the bed beside him and ever so gently cupped Jonghyun’s hand in his. It held none of the familiar strength in the fingers and palm always holding his own or moving along his body. These hands weren’t ones that could swing a heavy weapon with ease. He vaguely heard movement and registered the hands-on his shoulder were Taemin’s. Kibum sat on the other side, legs underneath him and a bowl of clean water balanced beside him. “All of the Restoration mages are down with the sickness and I didn’t think it was a good idea for him to catch it like this. I’ve done my best, but you know it was never a talent of mine. He’s taken a few health potions and he’s stable, but- This was the best I could do.” 

          “I have him.” He whispered, not taking his eyes from Jonghyun’s unmoving face. He let the warmth of his healing seep from his palms, swirling around the broken fingers and bruised skin of the man’s handheld within his. “What happened?”

          “We were on our way back from the inn. Jonghyun had let me go if I felt a bit better and he got me hot cider. On the way back he heard something, told me to rush ahead with the other apprentices and put the wards up.” Taemin’s hands shifted just a little along his back and when he spoke his voice was just as shaky as his hands. “I heard voices and what sounded like a fight, but I hid as Jonghyun told me to until it was silent… I found him by the end of the ramp like this. I’m so sorry, Jinki.” 

          “Whatever for, Taemin?”

          “I should have stayed, helped him!” Taemin in a ragged breath, voice breaking towards the end, hands ripped from Jinki’s shoulders. “He wouldn’t be like this.”

          “This isn’t your fault and if you had stayed there’s no telling what could have befallen you.” Jinki felt himself softly smile, thumb gentle on the back of Jonghyun’s hand. “When I left he promised to look after you, and he kept his word.” 

          Kibum removed the damp cloth from Jonghyun’s forehead with a quiet hum. “I’m going to fetch you something more substantial to eat for after you heal him. Do not overdo things. Splitting up the healing in sections won’t harm him in the long run.”

          “I know my limits Kibum.”

          The elf sighed, before gathering the bowl and cloth, turned toward the youngest mage in the room. “Come Taemin. You should get some sleep.” 

          “I can’t!”

          “Young one,” Jinki slightly turned, looking over his shoulder at him. “Running yourself ragged will not help any of us. Please try to get some rest. I’ll handle this just fine.” 

          Finally, after a few moments, Taemin rushed out, but not before falling over Jinki’s shoulders in a desperate hug. Once alone with his husband, Jinki let out the first sob, clinging to the freshly healed hand like a lifeline. So many people he cared for had been hurt because of their relationship with him. How long could he risk Jonghyun’s wellbeing in order to keep living the life he had here at the college? Was being archmage and teaching more important than the man he loved’s life? Before it had just been his own life he was risking by staying here in a city where the guards hated him and everything he represented, but there was more. Could he really go and tell his mother-in-law that her only child had been killed for loving him? “Oh Love, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” 

          He kissed Jonghyun’s knuckles before setting his hand back on the bed. He stood then and took a few steps to stand at the end of the bed. After a very deep breath, he raised his hands, putting everything he could into his healing. The brightness of his magic glowed even through his eyelids and he began to feel the beginnings of fatigue tickle in his chest, but he pushed on. He wouldn’t allow there to be any physical reminder of this cowardly attack on Jonghyun. He felt bones sliding into place, muscle stitching back together and bruises clearing from his tan skin. The swell of his injuries lessened as the golden light swirled around his body, looking for another broken bit to put back together. Vaguely through the blood rushing past Jinki’s ears and the pounding of his growing headache, he could hear Jonghyun’s groans and whimpers.

          He hadn’t lied to Kibum for he did know his limits. Only this time he was going to push past them in order to complete this. The less time Jonghyun was in pain, the better. The last thing Jinki remembered was his vision going blurry, a sharp pain against his temple as his legs crumpled beneath him, and a voice growing more panicked that was very familiar.

------