/3

No Strings Attached
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie was mad, she was furious and it was mostly at herself. She knew the rules of the game and yet here she was falling face first. She had voluntarily agreed to this arrangement, he had not in any way pressured her into it and she was the one, the one nursing her heart as he chipped it little by little.

At first it was nothing, they met up whenever they were both free of schedules and just spent a night of passionate love making with absolutely no strings attached. It was convenient for them as Jennie wasn’t ready for a relationship and he was still too hung up over his ex to move on. They were ridiculously attracted to each other though and after a drunk one night stand at an awards show after party she found herself agreeing to this ridiculous arrangement when he proposed it. It would be a way to get him out of her system, she had thought then. Only if she knew how wrong she would be.

It wasn’t just the mind-blowing that made her want to stay though. It was the part that came after when she lay nestled against his side, her head on his chest and his arm around her waist as they talked about anything and everything, from their deepest and darkest desires to something as little as miniscule as her whether she preferred dipping her chicken into sauce or pouring the sauce over it. She loved the warmth of his body and the way his chest vibrated from mirth underneath her every time she said something lame or funny. She could never get enough of it and it was the same for him as he kept on coming back to her.

But all of that ended as soon as the crack of dawn entered through the curtains and she woke up alone in bed every single time. They went back to acting like they were strangers, just greeting each other with polite ‘hellos’ each time they bumped into each other backstage. At first it didn’t bother her but as time went on she began to miss the heat of body when she woke up to a cold bed in the morning. She was falling deeper and deeper into this hole and she knew she had to salvage whatever was left of her dignity and her heart before he shattered her beyond repair.

Jennie marched onto the abandoned terrace, her heels clacking against the marble as she tried to keep her tears at bay; she wasn’t quite ready to breakdown in front of anyone else. She could hear the sound of footsteps behind her and she quickened her pace.

“Jennie wait!” His voice reached her before he did.

She ignored him and marched up to the railing, knowing there was no way out of it unless she jumped which did look appealing she wasn’t going to lie.

She had to come clean and she had to end this. Once and for all.

Her knuckles had turned white from grabbing the railings too hard and she could feel the warmth radiating from his body before she felt him as he grabbed her forearm and turned her around to face him. His grip wasn’t harsh but it wasn’t entirely gentle either.

His tone however was another story and she involuntarily flinched, refusing to look up at him. “Jennie? What’s wrong with you? What was that out there?”

She squirmed in his grip as he put his other arm on the railing beside her and caged her in. “Let go of me, Kai. You’re hurting me.”

He saw the pained expression on her face and the way her skin had begun to redden under his grip and realization dawned on him. He immediately let go but still kept her caged in between his arms. “I’m sorry baby,” he said bringing her body closer to his.

Jennie knew where this was headed and it was now or never. Keep her silence and stay getting used as a rebound or end this for good.

“I can’t keep doing this.” Her voice came out shakier than she intended for it to come out as she placed her palms on his chest and tried to push him back.

“What do you mean?” He was confused and she was still refusing to look him in the eye.

She sighed. This was it.

She involuntarily tilted her head up to look him in the eyes, her glossy ones meeting his confused ones and her breath caught in . He was the most stunning man she had ever seen. Everything about him was breathtaking from his hair as black as a raven’s wing to the pool of honey eyes that she spent countless hours getting lost in, the bridge of his nose, his high cheekbones and his perfectly sculpted jaw that could give Michelangelo a run for his money and finally his plump lips that explored every inch and every crevice of her body like no other. He evoked feelings within her that no man ever had before. He was absolutely sinful and she loved every part of that.

But she loved herself more and she had to protect herself and her heart.

“Is this about what happened inside with the model? Because I swear it wasn’t me, she was the one who came onto me. I know we have promised each other to not sleep with anyone else and I haven’t broken my promise-” he started explaining himself.

“It’s not just that, Kai.” She cut him off.

It wasn’t exactly a lie. When she had seen that model grinding onto him on the dance floor she began seeing red. Then acting on impulse she grabbed a glass of red wine from the table next to her and marched up to her “accidentally” spilling the wine on her white dress. She had pretended to be sorry and apologized, looking as sincere as she could, even going as far as to offer to pay for the dry cleaning bill. Contrary to popular belief, Jennie was a good actress.

But Kai, he could see through her lies in an instant and here he was, interrogating her about it, away from prying eyes.

But it wasn’t just that. These feelings had been bubbling within her for so long and the model; she was just her breaking point. The trigger.

The truth was that she was mad at herself for allowing him to use her as a rebound, whispering sweet nothings into her ear by the night and then rushing to his ex’s beck and call by day. The same ex he was so desperately trying to get over. Jennie had waited for him. She had been there with him every step of the way, holding his hand and picking up the broken pieces of his heart but in doing so she had cut herself and allowed him to break her.

And the worst part was that he didn’t even notice how deep she had fallen.

She angrily removed his hands from her body like his touch burned her. “I can’t keep doing this Kai. I can’t keep hurting myself like this. I tried, I tried so hard to stop these feelings but I couldn’t, I’m so sorry.” She had tears streaming down her face but at this point she didn’t care, it wasn’t something he hadn’t seen before. “I’m in love with you Kai.”

Kai’s eyes had widened and he took in a sharp intake of breath but Jennie didn’t let him speak.

“I know we agreed to a no-feelings-involved fling but I couldn’t help it. I’m sorry. I don’t expect you to return my feelings but I also can’t keep doing this anymore, pretending like I’m fine when I see you go running back to your ex. I can’t keep pretending that I don’t have feelings for you whenever we kiss or have . I willingly agreed to this arrangement but I can’t let you treat me li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter