Final

Where are you

 

Everyone has a soulmate. You know it by the red ring that is on your little finger. You can't feel it, it's like a hologram, but it is there, you still feel its warm presence on your skin. 

Everyone can see everyone else's ring. 

Once you find your soulmate, the ring changes color, it gets a warm glowing gold color. The bond is complete. When it happens, you feel it in your bones, like it's actually the first time you take a breath, you feel alive more than you ever did before. You then become inseparable from your other half until the last day. 

When someone doesn't have a ring, it means that their soulmate are gone from this world.

Also, if the intensity of the color starts to fade and turns black, it means your life's soulmate is in danger. 

 

Now let's focus on the story of Sehun and how he found his soulmate... 

 

- - -

 

Sehun wakes up to the sound of his phone, it's his boss. ''Sehun can you take Suho's shift this morning, he catched a cold.'' Yixing says and Sehun answers ''He catched a cold or did you guys do naughty things until late last night? I bet we won't see you today either.'', ''You brat, stop saying nonsense and go to work.''. Sehun huffs ''You owe me.''.

Catched a cold, yeah right, Sehun thinks. His boss and Suho are soulmates, plus he knows damn well that it was the latter's birthday last night. He shakes his head and gets ready to go to the hospital, but looks at his ring first and kisses it, whispering a soft ''Good morning''. 

 

''Good morning Sehun, you're here early.'' he hears as he enters the nurse changing room, ''Hi Dae, yeah Yixing called and you probably know what he said next.''. Jongdae laughs and responds ''Minseok owes me, I knew this was going to happen seeing how they couldn't keep their hands off each other last night at the party. By the way, you went home early, is everything ok ?''. Sehun smiles, he always appreciates how his hyung tends to worry for him, ''I'm young and healthy, why wouldn't I be fine hyung.'' he answers with a smile that seems forced. Before Jongdae could say anything, Baekhyun enters ''Yah stop gossiping and let's start the day girls!''.

 

- - -

 

It's midnight but he can't sleep. It's nothing unusual actually, even after a busy day at work, he's always restless at night. He's holding his left hand close to his chest, looking at his ring.

Is he obsessed? Maybe. 

Most people think he doesn't care about it and that he's wild and childish. But his hyungs know better, they know that he feels uncomplete even if Sehun never tells them how he feels. That's how they all felt before finding their destined one after all. 

Sehun wonders how his soulmate is doing, if they are happy, healthy, or even looking for Sehun, or not at all. He wonders if they feel as lonely as he feels. Will they like me? What if I'm not what they expect me to be? What if... Too many if that make him feel insecure and restless.

''I wish I could find you soon'' he says after a while though he's alone in his cold bedroom. Yes he likes to talk to his ring, don't judge him. He's jealous of his friends, all of them found their soulmate except him. ''Did I do something wrong to deserve this?'' He knows he shouldn't be like that but he can't help it, the loneliness is killing him. He's 26 damn it, it's usually in your early 20s that you find your other half. He sighs, again. 

Obviously he could go out and actually date people until the day he finds his soulmate comes but no, he wants to be perfect and faithful to his other half. And he doesn't mind if the other isn't doing the same, it doesn't change his feelings one bit. He's already in love with them, even if that sounds weird, it doesn't to him. 

He only sleeps for few hours that night, just like any other night. 

 

- - - 

 

He's on night shift that day and is currently having dinner with his colleagues/hyungs Jongdae, Minseok (those two are soulmates) and Chanyeol and Baekhyun (also soulmates). Being surrounded by couples, Sehun wonders if he should eat alone sometimes... But he can't, he enjoys his hyungs company no matter what. 

''Have you guys seen the new nurse?'' Chanyeol asks, ''Yah why do you ask, is he more handsome than me?'' Baekhyun answers with a pout. ''Baby don' t be silly, I'm just asking because damn he scares the out of me. I think his name is Kyungsoo, he got the type of eyes that could kill you if he wanted, I'm not even kidding. Plus he doesn't like my jokes!'' Chanyeol continues. Minseok says ''Yeah because we all know that your jokes are the best ones in the world, right...'', Jongdae giggles and Chanyeol pretends to be offended ''Minseok, at least admit that my jokes are better than Suho's.''.

They all laugh but suddenly try to be silent when they see Yixing pass them, looking at them with an evil smirk. 

''You are so screwed Chanyeol.'' Sehun finally says but didn't expect what was coming next ''By the way Sehun, aren' t you tired to be single, go get laid already. You look like you need to release some stress, no offense.''

''Park Chanyeol, you know I'm not going to do that. I' m waiting for-'' Baekhyun cuts him by saying ''Your soulmate yeah we all know that but it isn' t bad to have some fun until you actually find them. I used to do that before meeting Channie and same for him, we're still humans with needs after all, right?''. Chanyeol agrees and says ''Yep, trust me Sehun, you're wasting your time plus your soulmate would understand. I'm pretty sure whoever it is, they're having fun while waiting to find you.''

''I can't, I just can't. It doesn' t feel right being intimate with other persons when I know that there is someone waiting for me outside.... '' And I have the feeling that they're waiting just like me, Sehun thinks, looking at his ring. 

''Guys let him, it's his choice. Me and Minnie found each other at a young age so we can't give you advice on that...'' Jongdae says then Minseok follows, nodding ''Only do what feels right to you Sehunnie.''.

''Boring.'' Baekhyun says and Chanyeol nods. 

Sehun shrugs and continues to eat. 

 

- - -

 

''Good afternoon Ahjumma, how are you feeling today?'' Sehun asks the old lady. She's been a patient here for weeks. 

''Hello Sehun, I'm feeling great today. I can not wait to go home and see my grand children, I miss them so much, it's really too bad that kids aren't allowed to visit me.'' she says as she takes the pills that Sehun gives her ''You know it's just for you to recover from the surgery in the best conditions possible, plus you're going back home soon now.''. She sighs then smiles ''I guess you are right. At least my husband can visit me daily.'' as she looks at her golden shiny ring, then continues ''And thank you for looking after me. Not all nurses are this kind and I know what I' m talking about.''. Sehun smiles ''It's really nothing, I love my job.''.

He's busy reading her tests when he suddenly hears ''Young man, your ring...''. She's looking at Sehun's hand. 

''Huh?'' Sehun is confused as he looks at her but suddenly his heart goes slow for a second, he can't breathe and his whole body hurts. 

''Sehun, are you alright? Should I call another nurse for help?'' the old lady says but he shakes his head, he's sweating and feels cold, his breathing is fast but then everything slowly goes back to normal, almost. ''I-I'm fine, I just don't know what happened all of a sudden.''. 

''Poor boy... It must be the bond, it can happen that you feel your soulmate's pain. Look at your ring.'' he does then can't move anymore, he's shocked. 

His usually red ring is getting darker and darker until only a thin red line is left in the middle. He feels like screaming. 

''I'll pray for your soulmate tonight.'' she finally says before Sehun goes to the breakroom. 

He feels like throwing up and forces himself to calm down. He's sitting on a couch when someone enters the room ''Sehun what's wrong? You're as pale as a ghost.''. It's Suho, Sehun answers by showing his now transparent black and red ring. ''Oh my god.'' Suho covers his mouth and sits next to Sehun ''I'm so sorry, I don't know how to help you..'', the younger tries to smile but he feels empty, emptier than ever. 

His soulmate's life is in danger and there's nothing he can do about it because he doesn't know anything about them. He feels so powerless. 

''Sehun, you should go home for the day. You need it.'' Yixing kindly says, standing next to Suho. They both look like they're about to cry. Sehun nods and leaves without a word. 

What is there left to say anyways? 

 

- - -

 

Sehun wakes up sweating. Another nightmare, he thinks. It has been like this since his ring turned dark. He looks at the clock, 4am. He won't be able to go back to sleep.

As he lays down to calm his heartbeats, he thinks about his nightmares. It's always the same scenario. 

He's alone in the dark but ends up hearing a voice calling for him. He tries to reach the voice, he runs but it just keeps getting further away and away from him. It's a lonely and fragile voice and he thinks he knows who it is, his instinct just knows. He doesn't want to give up looking for the person but at the end of the dream, he's always exhausted and falls. That's just before he wakes up.

He looks at his ring, so, so dark, cold and transparent, he feels like crying again, the red line is so thin you can barely see it, it would be the end if it disappears... He whispers ''Please don't leave me, don't leave me, I need you.''

 

- - -

 

Night shift again. He's on his way to visit his next patient when he bumps into Jongdae, ''Sehun aigo watch out, are you ok? Did you eat?''. He answers ''I should be the one asking you that, I'm way taller than you and no I' m not hungry yet... But what are doing here, I thought you went home an hour ago?''. Jongdae scratches his neck ''Well actually Minseok's cousin got transferred here today since this hospital got one of the best medical equipments around so we're visiting him now.'', ''Ah I see, let me go with you. I need a break anyways.''

Once they reach the room 88, Sehun is suddenly feeling weird and Jongdae notices. ''Do you want to take a seat? You don't really have to come in, his cousin has been into coma for few da-'' Jongdae gets interrupted by Minseok who's opening the door ''Dae! Oh hey Sehunnie, guys it's weird, just now his heartbeats were going crazy, I think we should call Xing to check if it's norm-''. Sehun interrupts him with a sob. 

He could see the person on the bed from where he is standing outside of the room and he can't believe his eyes. He covers his mouth and tears start to cover his cheeks. Jongdae and Minseok look confused for awhile until something clicks. 

Minseok's cousin is Sehun's soulmate. 

 

- - -

 

Sehun is now siting next to his sleeping soulmate, looking at him almost without blinking. He stopped crying and is mesmerized by him, literally. He wants to take him in his arms, wakes him up with soft kisses. But he knows this isn't how things work. So he just keeps his eyes on him for any move the other would make. 

''Minseok, what is his name? Can you tell me more about him?" he asks, desperated to know more about him. ''Of course. Well his name is Kim Jongin, he's 27. He's a dance teacher and has his own dance studio, it's quite famous actually.'' the older answers. 

''Kim Jongin, Kim. Jong. In.'' Sehun repeats slowly, he likes his name already ''And what actually happened to him...?'' he finally asks, looking over Minseok and Jongdae who are sat on the other side of the bed. ''A car bumped into him as he was on his way home... It was brutal enough to put him in this state I guess though he only got light injuries. But his head got really hurt.'' Sehun can see Minseok holding back his tears as he continues ''The doctors said that they don' t know if he will ever wake up since many days passed already. They say he's fine above all. He's such a precious soul Sehun, you would love him, he's like a little brother to me. I-I just hope that he'll wake up so you two can finally meet. He used to tell me how much he's eager to meet his soulmate, that he already likes them. I swear, you're just perfect for each other now that I think of it.'' he ends up crying and Jongdae hugs him. 

Sehun is no better, he has to bite his tongue to not fall apart, again.

Why does the universe has to be so cruel? 

 

- - - 

 

It's been 6 days that he has found him now. He's loosing his mind but still has hope for Jongin to wake up. He's nothing without him anyways. Nothing. 

He works as usual but visits Jongin's room each time he has a break or whenever his shift is over. He isn' t going to stay away now that he finally found him. His ring is still dark with a bit of red but it's there at least. 

He talks to him sometimes, tells him about himself, about his day, that he is there waiting for him, grabs his hand and ends up falling asleep right there. 

He loves how Jongin's brown hair seems so fluffy, how warm his skin tone looks, how plushy his lips are. He's dying to see him wake up but there's nothing he can do other than wait and wait... 

His colleagues are a bit worried because that's all Sehun does now but they understand, they would do the same anyways. It's humanly impossible to be away from your soulmate for a long time once you find them. 

 

- - - 

 

He's having a nightmare, the same dark one he's been having. Sehun tries to look around to find anything, anyone, but it's pitch black and all he can hear are echoes of that one voice. 

He walks and walks towards than voice for hours, days, he doesn't know, but he doesn't care because he just wants to find that person, he's getting impatient so he starts running. 

He runs and the echoes are getting louder, closer, he has hope. He takes many turns because the voice always seems to change direction, it's exhausting. He's out of breath but doesn't not give up 

He's so tired of running, he's about to fall but he feels so close to that voice that he tries to reach out with his hand, to find anything before he touches the ground and ends the dream. 

He does touch something this time. 

He wakes up, and so does Jongin. 

 

Sehun doesn't notice at first. He's holding Jongin's hand, as usual, but tries to fall back asleep even if he's sleeping on a sitting position. His face is turned away from Jongin and is trying to find a more comfortable position. As he moves, his hand almost slips away from Jongin's but the other's hand holds it before it can happen. 

Sehun never reacted so fast. 

He's speechless as he finally looks at Jongin who is wide awake and has tears in his oh so warm brown eyes. He feels tears building in his eyes as well and says softly ''You-you're awake? Or am I just dreaming?''. 

Jongin smiles and whispers ''You saved me Sehun, I'm here.'', his voice a bit broken because of his previous state. Tears start covering Sehun's cheeks, he's confused and overwhelmed by the situation. Jongin seems to understand so he continues ''I could hear you while I was sleeping, I knew you were there and that's what kept me wanting to fight and come back. You were also there, in my endless nightmare, and you finally found me.''. He's also crying now but smiling at the same time ''Thank you Sehun, for finding me, for finding us.''.

Sehun is about to answer but goes silent as a sudden yellow light comes from their intertwined hands. He then sobs loudly and Jongin is just in the same state. But this time, these are tears of joy. 

Both of their rings are now emitting a nice beautiful golden color. 

Full of emotions, Sehun can't hold it anymore. He softly holds Jongin's face and puts his forehead on the other's, looking at him tenderly. 

''Believe me or not, I love you. I been waiting for you for such a long time now.''

''I know, and I love you too, so much.'' Jongin answers and then kisses him tenderly. 

Sehun is on cloud 9, they both are.

 

- - - 

 

Few weeks passes.

They've gone to many dates since Jongin got out of the hospital. They decided to take their time and learn about each other day after day. 

Sehun discovered that Jongin's favorite food is fried chicken and that he's soft for clothes with bear designs on them. That his biggest passion in life is dancing and has 3 dogs, well kids as he calls them. That he likes hot chocolate over coffee and is willing to try bubble tea for Sehun. He also noticed that Jongin is super shy and yet so damn cute, like when he pouts. But can also be really y and even more breathtaking especially when he's dancing. The more Sehun learns about him, the more he loves him. 

Jongin discovered that Sehun's favorite thing in the world is drinking bubble tea in front of a good marvel movie, and it later becomes their thing. That Sehun may seem cold but has in fact the biggest heart in the world and is a big softie, plus he also has a dog. That he likes reading books in his free time and enjoys wearing comfy hoodies. He loves that Sehun never shows emotions to others and yet he shows every part of him openly to Jongin. Jongin always feels loved when they're together and he makes sure to show him his love back. 

As they talked, they found out that they both like calm places over crowded ones, both like to dance, both like to travel, and both enjoy cuddling now... Also, both of them never dated anyone before, always waiting for the other. 

 

- - -

 

Sehun wakes up at the sound of his phone, he forgot to turn off his alarm. He isn't working today since he had a night shift yesterday.

After he shuts it, he looks next to him and smiles at the sight of a very Jongin next to him. He gets closer and back hugs the other, leaving sweet kisses on his shoulder.

They moved into Sehun apartment recently, they couldn't stand being apart anymore. 

Few moments later, Jongin moans and turns around to hug him back, putting his head under Sehun's chin. ''Good morning love'' he says adorably as he yawns. 

''Good morning baby.'' Sehun answers and feels like he's the luckiest man in the universe. 

 

Everything is fine now. 

 

- - - 

 

Thanks for reading :')

Did you like it?