... And We Fall Again

Until Our Hearts Intertwine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Ryeowook doesn't like writing letters. Period.

He'd rather sit down and do musical composition, play the piano, cook or dust his mother's vases in the cupboard, bake some cookies... even throw down a basketball. Anything but sit down with a pen and stare down at an empty page to form words that doesn't exist for what he feels in his mind.

He has nothing against the pen and paper, but good lord, deep down he knew why it was difficult. It was exasperating for him to collect all the frenzied thoughts running through his mind, and pen them down into rigid letters that couldn't exactly define the turbulence of emotions he had swirling beneath the surface of smooth black ink in elegant curves and loops and flicks.

Writing makes him feel bare and stripped down to the bone, vulnerable to other people's judgements and opinions when he poured his heart out for the world to see. Even now, under the yellow flickering lights with the soft ticking of the clock behind him, Ryeowook still can't manage to form a single coherent word to his penpal.

What to say to he or she?

He taps the pen to the table absent-mindedly, to a tune he couldn't quite identify as he hummed to himself, before touching it to his lips. Admittedly, he wasn't exactly happy when he found out his mother signed him up for a penpal program... an online one, to be precise.

Ryeowook has never thought about handwritten letters making its way to the ease of the internet itself. But when he thought about it, 'letters' to each other had their charm to them, when social media and text messages were so prevalent in everyday life. Letters meant that someone actually made time to sit down and write their feelings and thoughts out to each other. Ryeowook's heart warms at the thought.

Granted, writing may not be his favourite thing, but this could actually work out in his favour for him. Going on about his day went to an anonymous stranger on the internet was far better than admitting it to others close, because he can tolerate a stranger's judgement better than the silent pity of his friends around him.

He doesn't know why it is so hard. So hard for him to just start writing.

But when Ryeowook finally lifts his head to the harsh light of the laptop screen right before him, something inside him snaps, and he decisively pushes the writing instruments away.

He's not going to make a draft for this one.

----

Ryeowook blinks in surprise when he logs on two days later. A red notification at the top of the screen stares back at him.

You have one new message! , it beamed proudly.

Ryeowook doesn't know how to react. 

Okay, so to be honest, he wasn't expecting a reply. Even after composing his letter and then logging off, there was always the possibility of his assigned penpal doing a fluke on him and not actually writing back. Heck, he knew next to nothing about them except for the fact that they would be roughly the same age, and randomly assigned based on the short questionnaire they had him take about his interests.

 Ryeowook gulps as he moves the cursor closer to press on the notification. A notification that meant that someone actually took the time to sit down, read his words, and actually write back to him.

The screen momentarily loads, before a few lines pop up.

Hey Wookie! , it read.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I was really busy ^^ I hope you understand.

It's so cool that you like baking and the piano. I bet the food you make tastes really good, do attach some pictures next time. I like playing the piano and the clarinet as well, it's so soothing to get lost in music. It's an escape from reality. Do you like gaming, by any chance? 

K.

Ryeowook lets out a breath he isn't aware that he has been holding. Granted, it was a few very measly lines, but it was something to start with. He immediately got onto the message box and began to type back his reply.

Dear K,

It's nice to meet you.

Ryeowook's fingers pause in their typing, hovering over the keyboard. K. The person signed off simply with a single letter instead of giving their name, or nickname as he offered in the tentatively written first letter. Perhaps they didn't want to expose their real name, or simply did not have a nickname, which was fine by him because after all, Ryeowook is writing to a complete stranger, and he shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions in the first place. 

I will when I upload the pictures from my phone. I agree, there's something utterly beautiful and indescribable when it comes to music. I really enjoying composing my own songs, although I'm still working on them. I kind of get really concentrated on doing that and by the time I'm done, it's already dinnertime and I still haven't finished my homework at all. It's distracting in a good way. 

How good are you at playing the clarinet? It's something I only remember doing in elementary school during music lessons, unfortunately. Didn't pick it up after that. What school do you attend and what year are you in by the way? 

Oh, and I'm not that much into gaming. In fact, I don't game at all.

Yours, Wookie.

---

"Wookie-ah?" 

"Hmm?" Ryeowook doesn't look up from his book, where he's doodling a picture of a giraffe on his musical composition notebook, long neck wrapped languidly around a treble clef. The pencil scratches at the paper, graphite lines forming where the lead has left its mark.

"Yah, Kim Ryeowook!" His name is repeated before Sungmin's breath is closer to his ear. Turning, he sees his friends calling for his attention. Well,  technically only Sungmin. Eunhyuk and Donghae are squabbling over something at the back, while Henry's bright eyes are shining with amusement.

The otherwise empty class still had words scrawled on the whiteboard from the last lesson of the day, tables excluding the ones being used as temporary chairs neatly arranged in rows.

The sound of Sungmin's now faintly annoyed voice brings Ryeowook back to reality. "Did you even hear what I said?" the former grumbles once more, swinging his legs at Henry who's perched on the table opposite Ryeowook. 

Ryeowook finally finds the shocking ability to form words with his mouth, stopping his doodling in the process. "Did you say anything?"

"Yeah, Sungmin-hyung was asking how it's going with your penpal program thingy." The corners of Henry's mouth quirks up in faint mirth as he taps his fingers on the desk, nimbly avoiding Sungmin's attempted hits. "How is it? Have you actually started writing anything to them?"

"We are also wondering about that," Eunhyuk calls from behind, where he's tackling Donghae to the table. Ryeowook is almost a hundred percent certain that something was going on between those two. "I mean, we all know how much you hate writing in general. How it's going? Good? Is the person hot?"

Ryeowook shrugs. "Yeah, we actually exchanged a few words-wait, hot?" His eyes narrows as he fully registers the ridiculous words coming from Eunhyuk's mouth. "Oh my god, hyung, is that what you think the penpal program is about? Finding hot people? Is this Tinder to you?" 

Eunhyuk simply shakes his head in response, eyes glinting playfully. "Who knows, they might just end up being really cute," he laughs as he avoids another swing from Donghae. "To be fair, the point of a penpal is to build a connection with a person from the other side of the world, right? So, how is your penpal like? Are they a she or a he?"

Ryeowook has already opens his mouth again to argue Eunhyuk's starting sentence, but the words fade as he realizes how little he actually knows about his penpal in general, let alone their gender. He flushes at this missed detail. "I, uh, haven't gotten that far yet," he admitted shyly. "I just know that they like music, like me, and gaming."

"Aww man, you gotta tell us more, Wookie!" Donghae pips up, finally wrestling Eunhyuk off him and knocking the other onto Sungmin, who nearly topples off the table , and proceeds to scowl heavily at them. Donghae just gives him one of his victorious smiles and pats his back. "As your friends, we require you to update us as frequently as possible! After all, this person might just be your soulmate!"

"Soulmate my foot!" Sungmin yells angrily, tugging his shoe off. "Keep your lovers' quarrel to yourself, you two!"

Ryeowook agrees wholeheartedly with him. It was just too absurb.  He couldn't even begin to comprehend the absolute ridiculousness of Donghae's parting sentence, and was about to start arguing about how algorithms, the internet and a questionnaire couldn't possibly determine such a complex and irrationally fictional concept of a matter such as a soulmate when his phone rings loudly, the caller ID showing his umma.

"Gotta go?" Henry guesses, pouting as Ryeowook hurriedly closes his notebook and begins repacking his things into his backpack. 

"Pretty much," he replies, distractedly avoiding a white sneaker being thrown over his head in Donghae's direction from Sungmin. A shouting match had began to exist, and it was considered wise not to get in between the trio. He winces, glad for school to be over, so that the teachers wouldn't be skulking around the classrooms anytime soon. His friends are louder than a football match, that's for sure.

 "I'll see you all next Monday!" he calls over his shoulder as he lingers in the doorway for a reply, but his words are met with more squabbling, as Henry, the poor thing, is now actively trying to break up the three-way fight. Rolling his eyes, he affectionately smiles and heads out of the classroom, knowing no bad blood would exist for long between his friends.

---

Ryeowook logs on after dinner, cross-legged as he sits on the chair, with some warm water next to him.

It has been about three days since he last checked the website, and Ryeowook hopes that has been ample time for his penpal to come online and reply. He grins when he sees the familiar notification.

Hey Wookie!

Yah, you better send the photos soon and make me hungry. I bet you make some really nice food. I'm actually starving right now, so that's why I'm probably in over my head about it.

I would love to hear some of the songs you composed, even if it's unfinished. There's a story in every musical composition waiting to be told and unravelled by the listener. I myself know what it's like to be passionate about something and to keep working on it until you forget to eat, or sleep... not that my sleep is already taken up by Starcraft. It's a pity you don't like gaming, but that's okay. We can still talk about other things, but one day I will make you play it! >:)

I'm pretty good at playing the clarinet, but I really want to learn to play the saxophone someday. It's a cool instrument. Ah.. so much to do, so little time! Why can't we have more than 24 hours in a day? That would be amazing, you know? Then I can accomplish so many other things. Sigh~ life is stressful.

Ah, I'm not comfortable sharing what school I'm in right now, or the year. Sorry about that! Maybe in the future when we know more about each other. 

My turn to ask more questions. Do you have a favourite colour? Animal? Sports? Something illegal you've done?

Okay, maybe you don't have to answer the last one. Haha.

Have a good day, wherever you are.

K.

Ryeowook's heart leaps as he rereads the last sentence. Even though he barely knows who this mysterious K is, he can't deny there is a possibility of a connection forming between them. Maybe this penpal thing isn't so bad after all.

Dear K, 

I am, I promise! I've already attached some photos of the cookies, bulgogi and bibimbap I've made. They are all homemade and taste insanely delicious. Jealous? You should be.

I definitely would share my compositions, but I just want them to be perfect before I let someone else hear them, so until them.

Ryeowook doesn't share that just like in writing, he is equally terrified of others' judgements of him when it comes to composing music, because he has poured his heart and soul into them and hearing criticism is just.. hard for him. It's a bad thing, but Ryeowook swears that he was trying to overcome that fear, because rationally, failure is a stepping stone where lessons can be learned.

Aish, you wish you could make me play Starcraft. Is that a game? It sounds like some kids' art and craft program. Just kidding. If only I could understand your passion for gaming, maybe I wouldn't be as clueless as I am right now. Here's my advice for getting extra hours- stop gaming and get some sleep. It's not good for your health to be staying up, you know. I'm just a little concerned.

I would suggest you to watch some movies to take it off your mind if you're feeling stressed, especially comedic ones. Try the ones I've included in this, it could possibly help you to de-stress.

I totally understand and respect your privacy, it's already enough that you're writing to me.

As for your questions, I like the colour purple. I like giraffes, and I mean, I really, really like them. It's not even a joke at this point, it's an obssession. I don't do sports because of my inability to catch any sorts of balls. I'm serious. How about you?

Oh, and as for something illegal that I did... I don't read the terms and conditions before I click agree.

Yours, 

Wookie.

(p.s. are you a guy or a girl? Just asking.)

Ryeowook also briefly considers asking the other for their social media handles and phone number, but then ultimately decides against it, because the whole mystery of who the other person is would be ruined.

Anyway, they had all the time in the world to take it slow, didn't they?

---

"Yeah!"

Ryeowook looks up from the benches just in time to see Donghae score another hoop. Cheers erupt from his teammates, all doing quick chest bumps before they return to their starting positions, eyes laser-focused on the orange ball.

Beside him, Henry shifts to look down at Ryeowook's sketch of the whole scene on parchment-coloured paper, the two opposing teams on the court in various stances. He stifles a giggle when he spots a particular detail. "Is that us?" he asks, pointing to the charcoal figures sitting on rectangular blocks what Henry assumes are the bleachers.

Ryeowook smiles and nods in response.

Usually,when they have the time, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Henry are the ones who attend the basketball practices held after school on Wednesdays in a bid to support their friend, Donghae. However, piano lessons for Ryeowook has been cancelled for this week. The other two had their own club activities at the moment, and so he's here with Henry, sketching while watching their friend play nimbly on the court. 

As he watches Donghae dribble the ball expertly across the court towards the opposing side, his attention shifts to the figure chasing after him. He's taller and dark-haired, with long, lean legs stretching outwards as aggressive motions are made to snatch the ball. The boy's profile is handsome as he turns to the side, sharp and angular, eyes sparkling with mischief. 

Ryeowook feels his mouth go dry the longer he stares at the figure. For all the times he's attended Donghae's basketball practices, he hasn't ever fully bothered to consider how any of the other basketball players looks like. It was usually a blur to him with the unfamiliar faces, and Ryeowook always finds it difficult to recall any of their names.

However, the longer he watches the boy play, the more he can't keep his eyes off him. The way he moves is almost magnetic, captivating, drawing his attention and sustaining it so strongly. Ryeowook is mesmerized as the boy successfully catches the ball in one fluid movement from Donghae's pass to another player, before setting off to race down the court towards the opposing hoop.

Ryeowook definitely doesn't know what to do at this point. He gawks open-mouthed at the scene, pencil tightly gripped in his hand as he forgets to continue sketching.

Beside him, Henry restrains another snicker. It seems that the boy is always smiling, no matter the time of day. "Just what are you looking at, hyung?" he pesters, eyes travelling towards where his gaze is directed.

He finally comes to his senses, and Ryeowook shakes himself out of his stupor. "Nothing in particular," he lies, even though he keeps both eyes trained on the figure walking to the sides as halftime is called. The boy's shirt lightly clings to a well-defined body, as toned, lean arms slowly picks up a towel and a water bottle. Ryeowook bites his lip in frustration, worrying it with his teeth. The boy is really just beautiful, and it isn't fair how he did it so...

Effortlessly, and unknowingly.

But for all his easygoing smiles, Henry is not one to be easily fooled. Immediately, he zones in on what has captured Ryeowook's attention, before jumping up and down in childish excitement and it's all the older boy can do to swiftly pull him back down before he causes a commotion.

"Oh my god!" Henry screams for the whole school to know, wringing his hands in pure glee as he squirms on the benches. "I can't believe it! You think he is hot!"

It is at this point where Ryeowook confidently concludes Eunhyuk's influence has perhaps rubbed off a little too much on Henry.

"No," Ryeowook insistently denies, even as his face is going tomato red. Dear god, If any of his other friends knew that he thought what he thought, he would never live it down. Ever. Deciding to give up, he pulls Henry close, their faces almost touching. 

"Don't tell anyone," he half-threatens, half-pleads, firmly choosing to ignore the bright glee in Henry's eyes, although his words are empty. "Or else."

Henry only offers him a wider smile in return, and Ryeowook can just see a hint of the evilness lurking underneath that grin. "I can't promise you anything, hyung," he beams.

Ryeowook only smacks his forehead in response, and then serves another to Henry, who yelps.

----

They are eating lunch peacefully after a particularly tedious lesson. It's a lovely day where the lively chatter of the students surround them, and Ryeowook's glad to be out of the classroom for once, enjoying the food he's brought from home.

He's taking another eager bite when his friends pop the question.

"So you think Kyuhyun is hot?"

Ryeowook spits his food out that he's chewing, and delicately pats at the sides of his mouth as he tries to regain the remaining ounces of dignity he has in the few seconds it takes to maintain his composure.

"Who?" he innocently asks, although this time he really can't ignore the -eating grins and looks his friends are throwing him from around the table. Oh good lord, he was going to kill Henry.

Donghae doesn't answer, only shifting in his seat as he can't suppress the grin threatening to overtake his face and therefore, his facial muscles. "You know who," he coyly offers. "Tall, cute dude?"

"Yeah. You know, the boy you were eyeing the other day," Eunhyuk offers, ever the opportunist, sticking his spoon into Ryeowook's bibimbap and taking another bite while the latter fumbles for words. "Henry says you were giving him- what do you call that- the goo-goo eyes."

If dying by pure embarrassment was a thing, Ryeowook would already be dead several times over after he had brought down Henry with him. The boy has suddenly chosen to sit as far as possible from him today, contentedly nibbling on his hamburger while he watches the chaos he's knowingly caused.

"N-no," Ryeowook lamely stammers even as his friends share triumphant, impish look between each other. "I don't know what y-you're talking about."

"Oh please," Sungmin scoffs, taking another sip of his lemonade drink. "It's clear as day that you think he's cute. I mean, why are you getting so worked up," Sungmin smiles evilly, "if not for him?"

"He's single and available, by the way," Donghae butts in, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively. "I could give him your number if you want, we're on the same basketball team. I mean, you don't look half-bad. He would probably say yes."

Ryeowook doesn't respond. He simply puts his head on the surface of the wooden table and groans, burying it beneath his arms. "Why am I friends with any of you?" he grumbles as the laughs of his friends echoes around him. Oh lord, they were enjoying this way too much for their own good. "What do you all want?"

"For you two to go out!" they erupt in a chorus, before dissolving into fits of teasing giggles again at their own unlikely coordination. Ryeowook can feel the stares from the other tables at lunchtime in the cafeteria boring down on them, judgemental and confused and annoyed all at once.

Well, he couldn't care less. Ryeowook slammed his head on the table once more.

If this couldn't get any worse.

---

Things could get worse.

Exactly after one week after he teasing had commenced, he bumps into the figure he has, as Eunhyuk aptly put, "made goo-goo eyes" at.

It wasn't like the universe had anything against him, right?

Right?

He was wrong.

It is really just an accident. Mid-terms are coming, and lately everyone's having their noses stuck in books, notes and past years. Club activities are slowly dying down, and so is the noise in classrooms as people buckle down to do their studies. The library is abruptly finding an increase in the number of students occupying the desks and computers up until the late evening, which is when the incident occurs.

The sunlight streaming through the corridor windows is hazy and ethereal, cutting shadows sharply across the granite floor with soft golden beams of gentle light. Dust specks floats in Ryeowook's vision as he rushes towards his lockers, carrying way too many books for his frame to handle.

He just needs to dump the load of them, and then slowly sort out which ones he wanted to take home for the weekend. His friends have all already gone home, and he's the last one left picking up the pieces of his studies.

Turning the corner, it's too late until Ryeowook feels a weight crashing into him, and the next thing he knows are his papers, notes and texts flying everywhere, sprawled like an ungodly mess on the floor. A few seconds later, Ryeowook blinks rather unsteadily, finding his on the floor and someone else opposite him, although it's unclear to who it is as his head briefly spins.

Ryeowook takes a few moments before his vision clears, and he's properly able to get up and compose himself, muttering a few hurried apologies as he starts picking up everything again.

"I'm so sorry," he says but without much heart in it, because he's tired and he really just wants to go home and sleep the day off. However, his subsconscious mind and manners takes control, and he drops the book again to offer a hand to the person he's so uncourteously and rudely bumped into. "Are you alright- oh."

Oh.

Dark eyes look up towards his own, a smirk gracing the other's lips as he grabs onto Ryeowook's outstretched hand and pulls himself up. His hand is warm and strong as they grip his, calloused fingers wrapping around his more delicate ones.

Oh no. Nonononono. Not him.

Could Ryeowook just die now?

"I'm fine, thanks for asking," the boy-Kyuhyun, Ryeowook remembers briefly- replies in a voice that sounds like smoky honey, gaze roving over his more petite figure as if properly taking him in. Ryeowook flushes deeply and looks down at his feet.

"Mhm." He really can't think of anything more to say, because he doesn't trust himself to say anything logical, and staring up at the beautiful boy just takes his breath away.

Kyuhyun's intense, contemplative look softens, and he releases Ryeowook's hand, and therefore, his warmth. "You should really watch where you are going. And stop carrying so many books. It doesn't hurt to make two round trips, you know."

"Mhm." Ryeowook still doesn't trust his own stupid mouth to blabber out incoherent nonsense.

One of Kyuhyun's eyebrows quirk up in faint amusement. "Anything else you can say?"

"Not really," Ryeowook replies on autopilot, before shaking his head violently as he realizes what he has spoken. "I-uh- didn't meant to say that out loud-"

And then Kyuhyun laughs quietly, and Ryeowook swears he's somehow in heaven and talking to an angel.

This is it. He was whipped all the way to the moon and stars and back.

"See you around?" Kyuhyun says after they've picked up all of Ryeowook's messily organized textbooks and deposited them in his locker.

At this point, underneath the fading light where the tips of Kyuhyun's fluffed hair catches it just right and his smile is cheekily lopsided as he leans against the corners of the wall, Ryeowook thinks he might just melt into a puddle of nothingness on the floor.

"Sure," he forces out in a tone he hope is as smooth as Kyuhyun's velvety one. "See you around."

It's only after when he's on his way home looking out onto the illuminated streets and shops, where the rain is lightly drizzling and condensing on the car window like his frantic thoughts, does he start to consider that he might have a small crush on the boy that he barely knows.

----

Hey Wookie!

I have been crazy busy, you don't even know the half of it. My apologies! Mid-terms all around the clock, assignments and homework just piling up on the table- it's exhausting as hell.

But I'm glad to be talking to you ^_^

And you were NOT JOKING. I would be lying if I said I wasn't salivating over the pictures of the food you've sent. You make me so hungry, WHY?

WHYWHYWHYWHY

And aww, it's fine if you don't wanna share just yet. But I am expecting to hear them someday, just so you know!

And how can you not know STARCRAFT??!! It's not a craft program or anything, it's one of the best games in the universe! I'm really trying not to flip my right now but this just shows how much you need to be educated about gaming, okay? And you're not my umma so you can't tell me what to and what not to do about gaming!

Don't worry, I can handle my sleep just fine. I swear, my schedule is perfect just the way it is. I'll definitely check out those movies that you've recommended, I definitely need a laugh now and then so comedy would just fit the bill.

Aww, you like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter