002

21st Century Girl

Jungkook got out of the car, standing infront of the Top Girl company building.

     He looked up at the high rise building and back at the revolving door, watching as many people walked in and out of that door. Jungkook's cover story was approved by his boss and he was undercover to investigate the corruption within the company, working on Lee Jieun's company lifestyle on the surface. All the pressure was on Jungkook's shoulder as Top Girl was one of the major projects accepted by their small company so their entire image was on Jungkook.

Jungkook walked into the lobby and stared at the large lobby in awe.

     The floor was shining from Bardiglio Gray Dark marbling and a large fountain in the middle of the lobby accompanied the fancy flooring. The ceiling was so tall it was hard to tell where it ended if it wasn't for the crystalline pendant lights that hung from the ceiling.

Jungkook underestimated the power of this company; he was shaken.

He nervously walked toward the main desk and received a guest pass for Lee Jieun's office and made his way into the elevator.

 

A small pair of hands pried open the elevator as a tall man and a petite girl rushed into the elevator. 

"Thank you," the guy grinned and struggled to carry all of the girl's belongings. 

"What time's the Nylon photoshoot?" the girl asked the man in an annoyed tone.

"Uh," the man checked his diary with his full hands. "Scheduled for 1:30 pm."

"Tell the CEO I'm never doing another nylon photoshoot again!" the girl spat and checked herself in the mirror, checking for anything in her teeth. 

     Jungkook stared at her with his peripheral view; she seemed awfully familiar. It was hard to believe that such an attitude was coming from a girl with a petite figure and a baby face. Jungkook thought hard and realized that this girl with the red hair was Chuu, the teen pop star that he saw on television with his sister. 

The elevator dinged to the floor and Chuu stormed out of the elevator with the man trailing behind her.

Jungkook let out a ridiculous laugh and walked out of the elevator, taken aback in surprise.

     Time seemed to flow differently on this floor; everyone was running around from place to place as if they were being chased and were fully occupied with their jobs. Jungkook dodged everyone as he made his way to the secretary's desk.

"Hi," Jungkook said. "I'm here for an interview with Lee Jieun."

"Name please?"

"Jeon Jungkook,"

The secretary clicked on the computer and after checking the company name, eyed Jungkook judgementally and stood up to lead him to Lee Jieun's office. 

"CEO," the secretary knocked on the door. "Averfield is here for the interview."

The secretary opened the door and Jungkook walked into the pitch white office with a large window wall that showed the view of the entire city. Jungkook bowed down lightly and took a seat in front of Lee Jieun who greeted him quietly.

"Welcome, Mr..." Jieun said as she shoots his hand.

"Jeon Jungkook Mam," he said politely and shook her hand. 

     Jungkook's eyes traveled to the picture frame on her desk; inside the frame was an old scrubby picture of a woman dressed in a hanbok. Jieun noticed Jungkook's eyes on the frame and flipped it down, eyeing him sharply as Jungkook messily organized his small journal and his voice recorder. 

"As you know Mr.Jeon, I'm the CEO of Top Girl," Jieun said as she eyed him.

"Yes I'm aware," Jungkook looked up at her with a small grin and searched his bag for a small pen. 

    "If you are aware, then you must also be aware of the fact that I am not obliged to open up my time for an interview by a... Averfield. " Jieun read the name sarcastically which caught Jungkook's attention. "But seeing that I have reorganized my schedule to accompany you with your... interview, I believe the least you can do is come organized."

Jungkook nodded and slipped a pen out of his blazer pocket. 

"Sorry about that," Jungkook said with a forced grin. "Ready?"

"Whenever you are," Jieun eyed him as he pressed the record button. 

"Okay," Jungkook murmured. "You are very young to have amassed such an empire. To what do you owe your..."

"To what do I owe my success?"

"Y..eah," Jungkook answered awkwardly.

"Really?"

"Y..es?"

"Fashion is about people and so is business. And I have always been good at people. What motivates them, what incentivizes them, what inspires them. "

"Maybe.. you're just lucky."

Jieun let out a scoff. "I've always found that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. The key to my success has been identifying talented individuals and harnessing their efforts."

"So you love... control?"

"Oh, I exercise control in all things Mr. Jeon."

Jungkook stared at Jieun with a face; this woman was nothing like what he had expected.

"O..k," he said. "Your company is involved primarily in the advertising and magazine sector, yet you also invest in numerous extensive contract projects, including a recent signing of the year-long contract with the leading idol Chuu. Is expanding beyond the magazine something that you feel passionate about?"

"It's smart business,"

Jungkook eyed her.

"You don't agree?"

"I..." Jungkook hesitated. "Don't know enough about it."

The two stared at each other ominously. 

"I just... wonder if perhaps your heart might be a big bigger than you want to let on?"

"There are some people who say that I don't have a heart at all."

"Why would they say that?"

"Because they know me well."

     Jungkook stared at her; he wasn't sure what was going through her head to give this kind of response to an interview that would go public to millions of public.

"Um..." he said. "Do you have any interests outside of work?"

"I enjoy various physical pursuits."

"You're unmarried," Jungkook said as his eyes stopped at a piece of information. "Oh, you were adopted since birth."

"That's a matter of public record," she said as she got up from her seat.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.."

"Do you have an actual question, Mr. Jeon?" Jieun got up from her seat and leaned against her desk.

"Uh..."

"Why don't you ask me something that you want to know?"

"Uh," Jungkook was taken aback by her question but after some thought, closed the file on his laps and faced her. "Earlier you said that there are some people who know you well."

"Mm," Jieun nodded.

"Why do I get the feeling that that's not true?

 

"Mam," Jieun's secretary walked in. "The Nylon photoshoot conference meeting is in the conference room."

Jieun walked toward the door and opened it for Jungkook to leave. 

"I'm sure you're aware of the video press project that we will be undergoing for you."

"Yes," Jieun said quietly.

 "I'll keep in touch, Ms. Lee," Jungkook said awkwardly and walked out of the office, wiping off the small sweat beads that formed on his forehead. His heart was still pounding fast on his way out of the building. 

He wasn't sure what it was about this woman but she wouldn't leave his head. 

She made him curious.

 

It seemed as there was more than company corruption that Jungkook wanted to find out.