Chapter 1

My answer is you

It was with heavy steps that Kim Jina walked towards the little park close to campus where she had asked her upperclassman and boyfriend Jung Taekwoon to come and meet her. He was two years her senior and they had met when she was new to the school and he was showing all the new students around the campus.

He was studying the same major as her and they had hit it off right away. In the beginning she had liked his quiet and mysterious personality, but as time went on it became one of the things she loathed the most about him.

He rarely showed any type of emotions, and it frustrated her to the core since she never felt that he cared or that he liked her as much as she did. He had a lot of good qualities too but they all got overshadowed by the cold and quiet personality. So she had finally mustered up the courage to break up with him after thinking about it for a while.

She sat down on a bench while waiting for him. They had agreed to meet at 1PM but 20 minutes  went by and he still hadn’t showed up. So he is going to be this carefree all the way to the end huh? She thought to herself, getting more and more annoyed as the minutes passed by.

 

To: Taekwoon
Where are you? We decided to meet at 1PM and it’s 1:23PM now and you are still not here…

 

She sighed, annoyance clearly showing in her expression as she sent the message and put her phone back into her pocket. She looked up at the beautiful clear sky, trying her best to suppress all of her frustrations down just for them to spike drastically again as she read Taekwoons reply.

 

From: Taekwoon
I’ll be there in 5. Omw.

 

Still as few worded as ever, she thought as she angrily typed an answer to him. She was so over this relationship and felt so relieved that she was finally gonna end it.

 

To: Taekwoon
Hurry up. I have class @ 2PM…

 

A few more minutes passed and as she was absentmindedly looking at a buch of children playing, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. There he was, finally, after waiting for what felt like an eternity.

“I’m here” he simply said. No aplology or anything.

 

“I can see that” she said, with annoyance in her voice. “We agreed to meet at 1, you are 30 minutes late, you know”.

Taekwoon just nodded and said nothing and remained emotionless, looking at her as if asking her to just get to the point.

“I’m just going to go straight to the point then. We have had a good two years together but lately I have been feeling like this isn’t working. I am not a clingy or attentionseeking person but at this rate I am desperate after anything that resembles ANY kind of emotion, and you are not giving me that” she said followed by a huge sigh of relief to finally get it off her chest.

Taekwoon nodded absentmindedly, looking unaffected by the direction this conversation clearly was going.

“So… I want to break up”.

“I see. Well if that is how you feel then” he said with a shrug. She was beginning to feel very frustrated, she was breaking up with him and he still was as emotionless as ever.

“Okay then, thank you for these two years. Good luck with everything” she said as she walked away from him before he had any chance at answering. She knew that he was just going to say something very few worded anyway so there wasn’t even any point in staying and waiting for an answer.

 

Her physics class was soon about to start so she hurried to her classroom, slumping down in her usual seat with a big sigh. She couldn’t believe that she had finally broken up with Taekwoon. She felt relieved but also a bit sad, afterall they had spent the last two years together. Even though he is the way he is they have many happy memories together. As if she wasn’t feeling emotionally drained enough, she had to deal with this physics class too. It was her worst subject, which she was pretty sure she was going to fail since she couldn’t seem to understand anything of it.

Leaning over her desk resting her head on her arms, she closed her eyes for a while. Having afternoon classes was not something she was in the mood for after the day she had had, as a matter of fact she wasn’t in the mood to have any classes at all. Not this day, or the following days to come. She just wanted to lay in her bed all day, and to get her mind off of the breakup.

“Tired as always” someone said with a chuckle. She opened her eyes and her heart couldn’t help skipping a beat as she looked up at the boy smiling softly at her, his dimples sublty showing.

He sat down next to her and started organizing the neccessary books for the class. Jung Jaehyun was her physics classmate that she had met earlier when the semester started. They weren’t studying the same major but they had physics class together.

She didn’t want to admit this to herself, but she had some sort of small crush on Jaehyun ever since they first met, but she had ignored any of those feelings since she already had a boyfriend.

But even if she hadn’t had a boyfriend, never in her wildest dreams would she ask him out. Pretty much every girl, and probably quite a few boys as well were crushing on him because he was the hottest and kindest boy at their school. He was very popular but he himself didn’t seem to take notice of that.

“Yeah, you know me. Chronically tired” she joked back, trying her best to not show him that she was having a hard day. They were friends, but not close enough to actually hang out out of school, and let alone share their feelings and hardships. They were just something inbetween aquintances and friends.

 

Jaehyun chuckled as he opened his textbook. “So, are you ready for two hours of very exciting physics?” he said jokingly, knowing fully well how awful she was at this subject.

“Ugh, of course I am...” she said ironically and opened her textbook just as the teacher walked in.

The class went by painfully slow, and with the teachers explanations she felt herself becoming more and more confused. Thankfully she had Jaehyun beside her who tried to help her, but unfortunately she was a lost cause.

“Look, I appreciate your help but I’m afraid I’m too stupid for this” she said to him as she was packing up her things when the class was over.

“I think you can do just fine if you just put your mind into it” he said with a big smile. Oh, dear god. That smile will be the death of me she thought while trying to keep her heart from racing.

“But I don’t want to put my mind into it, it’s boring and I don’t understand anything” she pouted. They got out of their seats and walked together out of the classroom.

 

“Okay so here is an idea then. How about we go to the library now and study together for a bit? I could help you solve the problems that we have to hand in next week” he said, hoping that his nervousness didn’t show. Unbeknownst to Jina, Jaehyun had a big crush on her. He had fallen in love with her the moment he saw her the first day of the semester in their physics class.

She could feel her cheeks turning red, thinking about actually getting to hang out with Jaehyun outside of class. In her wildest dreams she could never imagine that happening. They would still be studying physics though, which wasn’t the best concept but it was good enough if it meant she could actually hang out with him.

“Oh, I would love that. But today is a bit… I’m dealing with some stuff so...” she said apologetically.

“Oh, okay. I see… I guess you’re gonna go hang out with your boyfriend then, right? He can probably get your spirits up” he said, his expression failing in hiding his dissapointment.

She didn’t know why she shared it with Jaehyun, but it just slipped out. “Uhm, about that. I actually… Uh… Just broke up with him today before class. So that’s why I’m gonna go home today and just deal with all of… That”.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that” Jaehyun said, awkwardly scratching the back of his head trying to keep a smile from surfacing. She broke up with him, huh? He thought, a burst of happiness running through his body.

“It’s fine, I’ve been thinking about for a while actually. I gotta go catch my bus now though, but I’ll see you tomorrow, Jaehyun” she said as she awkwardly waved to him before they parted ways.

Why did i tell him about me and Taekwoon breaking up? It’s not like we are close she thought and gave herself a mental slap in the face. Before she knew it she was at the bus stop, and soon after her bus arrived.

 


 

“I’m home~” Jina yelled as she came in to the apartment she shared with her best friend Yoojung, before she proceeded to kick of her shoes and throw herself on the sofa. Yoojung emerged from her room and pushed Jina’s legs off the sofa to make room for herself to sit down.

“Sooo… Did you dump your emotionless boyfriend?” she straightforwardly asked and put Jina’s legs in her lap.

“Wow, okay. My day was fine, thank you for asking. Going straight to the point, huh?” she couldn’t help but to chuckle at her best friend. She always straightforwardly said what’s on her mind, which was good sometimes. But there were also many times where she would benefit from having a filter between her brain and .

“Well, yes I dumped him. And he stayed emotionless to the very end. I got no reaction whatsoever. He just said ‘well, if that is how you feel then’ and shrugged”. Jina could feel the anger resurface within her, so she took one of the pillows on the sofa and punched it.

“Oh my god, that boy! I told you long ago that you should dump him” Yoojung said, looking at her with a look that said ‘I told you so’.

“I know that, and now I have finally done it” Jina said and changed position from laying down to sitting up in the sofa. “I feel mostly relieved but I do also feel a bit sad, but it will probably pass soon. I just need to let it all sink in I guess”. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket so she grabbed it and saw that it was a message from an unknown number.

 

From: Unknown
Hi~ It’s Jaehyun.

Sorry for randomly messaging you, I got your number from Su-Ah in our class.

I hope I am not disturbing you. And I hope I am not too forward for asking this, but how about studying together tomorrow after school? Our classes end early so I figured we could get those physics problems over with so you can relax over the weekend. But it’s maybe not the most fun thing you could do on a friday tho… haha.

 

She couldn’t believe that he had actually messaged her, but she felt happy that he had. Just as she was about to type out an answer another message plopped up in the convo.

 

From: Jaehyun
But if you don’t want to or don’t have time that is totally okay! So… Don’t worry about that haha.

 

To: Jaehyun
No, it’s okay! I would love to study together tomorrow, Jaehyun :). But you know I’m a lost cause so don’t expect any miracles haha…

 

From: Jaehyun
Great! :D
And you might think you are a lost cause, but you haven’t had a tutor like me yet haha ;).

 

Unconciously smiling while messaging with Jaehyun, Jina didn’t notice that Yoojung was reading their messages over her shoulder.

“A date with Jaehyun tomorrow, huh? I see, I see. We are moving on fast, aren’t we?” Yoojung said with a miscievous smile on her face. Jina slapped her lightly on the shoulder.

“Oh my god, it’s not a date! We are just friends, and he’s only going to help me with the physics assignments so I have a chance at actually passing this class”.

“Oh, come on Jina. We both know that there is a bigger possibility that pigs start flying than you actually passing physics class!” she said while laughing. “He is soooo just using this as an excuse to go on a date with you”.

“You are ridiculous. There is no way someone as good-looking as him would go out with someone like me.” Jina denied and scoffed at her friend’s ridiculous statement.

“Well, we’ll see about that. I might just go undercover and spy on you tomorrow. I’m free anyway.” Yoojung said and laughed miscievously. This earned her a few more slaps on her arm.

“You better not! If you do I will lock you out of this apartment!” Jina yelled after her friend who just laughed evilly as she walked into her room.

 

It was with butterflies Jina went to bed that night, excited about her first ever after school-plans with Jaehyun the day after.

 


[A/N]

Soooo, my first chapter is up~ What do you think?
I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out, but I just want to get the story going so I'm publishing it anyway haha. Should've been memorizing a speech that I have tomorrow but instead I have been writing on this and now it is really late in the evening. No sleep for me tonight I guess haha...