Perfect Crime

My Men of Mystery

“So Mark,” Jinyoung said, flashing that cheeky little smile of his. “You’ve been on the criminal justice scene for a while now, haven’t you? You must know a thing or two about murder.”

 

“A thing or two,” Mark said with exaggerated modesty.

 

“So if I asked you how to commit the perfect murder, you’d be able to give me a few pointers, wouldn’t you?”

 

“I’m not so sure I would, considering that you could use that knowledge against me.”

 

“Who me? Kill you? That would be far too obvious.”

 

“Well, no matter who you used it against, I wouldn’t want to turn you into a murderer. Your lawful good alignment is part of your charm.”

 

“Too true.” Jinyoung grinned. “But still, there must be some things to avoid if you want to evade the law. Let’s look at it as us encouraging bungling criminals not to commit crimes they’re just going to wind up locked up for life for.”

 

“Well, the first thing I would definitely not do is kill a spouse or romantic partner,” Mark said. “The police always suspect significant others first, and even if they somehow manage not to leave behind DNA evidence, the cloud of suspicion will be on them so much that the police will probably collect enough circumstantial evidence to nab them eventually. If you kill a perfect stranger, it will make it that much harder for the police to make that connection from them to you.”

 

“Right. We’ve seen that plenty of times, haven’t we, where a spouse will off their partner in lieu of getting a divorce and wind up arrested for it the very next day? Divorce is expensive, we get it, but it’s a lot more cost effective than a lifetime in jail, people!”

 

“I’d also stop after killing just the one person,” Mark continued. “If it moved into serial killing, the police would be able to pick up on patterns and make connections that way. Serial killers also have a weird tendency of baiting the police through calls and letters, which can lead to them getting captured.”

 

“I don’t know. The Zodiac Killer was never captured. And Jack the Ripper.”

 

“But they may have been, if they’d committed their crimes during the modern era of science.”

 

“Fair enough. Any other tips?”

 

“This sounds terrible to say it out loud, but I’d dispose of the body in a way where it would be impossible to find. With no body, it leaves the question of if a murder was actually committed fuzzy. It also keeps the method of killing as an unknown, which eliminates a lot of potentially incriminating evidence.”

 

“All right. Let it be known that Mark Tuan is the kind of pyscho-killer who would kill a total stranger at random, dispose of the body thoroughly, and then never kill again.”

 

Mark shrugged. “Do you have any tips of your own to offer?”

 

Jinyoung thought. “Ideally, I’d commit a murder in a district with an incompetent or corrupt police force who would do the work for me of destroying evidence and contaminating the crime scene. In those cases, even if they manage to catch the right person, the perp can get off due to reasonable doubt caused by how the police handled the investigation. But that’s kind of hard to plan ahead for, and not quite the ‘perfect’ murder because it still leaves room for error, so…hmmm…I guess I’d find a way to make it look like natural causes based on the person’s health condition, so there wouldn’t necessarily be an autopsy? That could be effective if the victim was older, but definitely complicated to execute. There was the one case we researched where a guy’s wife killed him through tampering with his medication, but it looked on the surface like he’d died from the disease, and there was almost never an investigation.”

 

“So looks like Jinyoung Park is the kind of psycho-killer who targets the innocent elderly.”

 

 “It’s not like we could actually commit these crimes now that we’ve announced them as the setup to our perfect murder. The prosecution would submit this video as Exhibit A.” Jinyoung turned to the camera. “Of course, though committing the perfect crime is a hard task now that DNA evidence is continuing to make new breakthroughs, such as with the capture of the Golden State Killer from using DNA from a family member collected by a family history website, there are still thousands upon thousands of cold cases on file, and according to the New York Post, 40% of murders in the US went unsolved in 2017, which shows we may not be progressing as much as we think.”

 

“That’s still not a gamble I’d like to take,” Mark said. “A 60% shot of ending up in prison? No thank you.”

 

“Yeah, you’re too much of a dweeb for prison.”

 

“As if you’d be any better! I'm serious, both of us would wind up with our heads dunked in toilets on our very first day.”

 

"Is that what they do to nerds in prison? I've never really thought much about it before. We never really covered modern prison culture in criminal justice. I know it varies a lot by facility, and some convicts get involved in special programs to keep them stimulated. But what about in general?"

 

"Maybe we should do a special feature on that. Whatever the case is, I'm pretty sure it's not a place where either you or I would do particularly well. I'm not sure they let prisoners be YouTubers."

 

“Be that as it may,” Jinyoung said, switching back to his serious reporter voice, “the idea of a perfect crime continues to fascinate those who want to be a part of that percentage of unidentified criminals who are not held properly accountable for their actions. As we’ve seen on this show, there are any number of motives for murder. Jealousy, revenge, rage, money, love, business…but there’s one motive we’ve never touched on before, until now: boredom.”

 

“Boredom? Murdering out of boredom?”

 

“I know this comes as a shock to you, consider you scroll through the same three webpages over and over again when you’re bored, or else come whining to me until I think of something for you to do.”

 

“I’d say those are two very normal responses compared to killing someone.”

 

“I agree. But our criminal in this case wasn’t known for having ‘normal responses.’ In fact, he may be one of the most unique individuals we’ve ever profiled on this show.”

 

“All right. Introduce me to him.”

 

“His name was—prepare yourself—Randall Warner Bower-Sheridan III.”

 

“Are we going to have to call him ‘Bower-Sheridan the Third’ throughout the whole episode?”

 

“His friends called him Rand.”

 

“Well, I don’t really want to be friends with him, but Rand is preferable to the alternative.”

 

“All right, then. Rand was the son of an American heiress and a British politician, and born to immense wealth and privilege. He grew up first in London, then relocated to Manhattan’s Upper East side when his father retired. He attended the most prestigious private schools, and boasted a remarkable IQ for someone his age. Eventually, he was accepted into Harvard Medical School in hopes of one day becoming a neurosurgeon.”

 

“Wait…this guy was bored?”

 

“I know, right? With an IQ like that, I'd be shocked if he wasted his life stuck in a three website loop like someone I know." Jinyoung smirked at Mark. "Anyways, Rand by all appearances had a life filled with excitement—his parents took his on exotic vacations every summer, he had a gorgeous girlfriend, he owned expensive cars and entertainment systems and clothing, his friends included well-known celebrities, he had a British accent…”

 

“And nothing’s more exciting than a British accent.”

 

“But in Rand’s mind, all of these things were just basics in his life. They were as routine and commonplace as getting up and brushing our teeth is for us. And Rand didn’t have to work for any of it—it was all handed to him, and none of it made any demands on his staggering intellect. He was a borderline genius, and he was looking for something exciting that would showcase his mental prowess and superiority. He wanted to show the world that his wealth and intelligence made him capable of succeeding in anything, no matter what obstacles there were. And the best way to do this, he decided, was to commit the perfect crime and elevate himself into the status of ‘criminal mastermind’.”

 

“Huh,” Mark said. “You’d think he’d do something he could actually brag to people about. You can’t just go around telling people ‘I committed the perfect crime’ because then it would no longer be perfect since they could just turn around and tattle to the police.”

 

“I don't know about that. Haven't you ever done something that you never shared with anyone else, but just enjoyed the feeling of being smug about it in your head?"

 

"No, because if you ever get it into your head I'm not telling you something, you start nagging me until I tell you what I'm getting all smug about."

 

"That's not true," Jinyoung protested. "I let you get away with not telling me things plenty."

 

"Really? Like what?"

 

To his surprise, Jinyoung didn't immeadiately fire back with a snarky response. In fact, he outright ignored Mark's question, turning abruptly back to the camera. "In this case though, along with having a staggering intellect, Rand also had a staggering ego, so he could handle the thought of having to be all quietly smug about what he was doing. The opinions of others never mattered as much to him as his opinion of himself, and as long as he knew he committed a crime no one could catch him for, that was enough for him. The whole concept of a perfect murder in particular appealed to him because so many people he knew in his wealthy circles had gotten away with white collar crimes—embezzling, tax fraud, Ponzi schemes—so he thought committing a crime of even higher moral corruptness would make him superior to them.”

 

“God, rich people are weird.”

 

“You should be careful saying that, considering you were famous in our department for being rich when we were in university,” Jinyoung said, finally giving in to the urge to snark.

 

“Well, yeah, but…I wasn’t criminally rich or anything!”

 

“You should thank your parents for raising you well, or else who knows what kind of bad stuff you’d be getting into? Anyways, with this mission in mind, Rand began to study up on how best to commit his perfect crime.”

 

“How? By reading How To Commit Murder? Looking it up on Google? Is there a line of Murder For Dummies books, but for geniuses?”

 

“You’d be surprised. I mean, you’d never look up anything like that online, would you?”

 

“No. Internet searches are ridiculously easy to trace.”

 

“Right. You know that, and I know that. But just because we’re not stupid enough to go looking for it, doesn’t mean that information doesn’t exist in some places on the internet. But we’ll get into the specifics of Rand’s research later. Let’s get into the crime itself.”

 

“Go on, set the scene for me.”

 

“It happened on a sunny Saturday morning on July 9th in Spring Hill, Massachusetts. 27 year-old Daniel Reynolds was out for his regular morning jog through his neighborhood and down a modestly busy suburban street where he would stop each morning to pick up a latte at Starbucks. Reynolds had just reached a crosswalk where he was forced to stop and wait for the light to change when a black Lexus rolled up beside him. The driver, who was wearing black aviator glasses and ball cap, rolled down the car’s tinted window, stuck the muzzle of a pistol outside, and fired two shots into Reynold’s head before slamming on the gas and peeling away from the scene at 70 miles per hour.”

 

Mark blinked. For this episode, Jinyoung had only filled him in on parts of the script so that he’d retain a natural element of surprise throughout most of the episode, so this information came as a genuine shocker. “W-Wait. That was Rand the Third’s ‘perfect crime’?”

 

“Well, he did take part of your advice—he killed a perfect stranger at random.”

 

“Yeah…but…but…there were witnesses, right? And he must have left bullet casings? And most busy intersections have cameras these days, and if not, there had to have been nearby cameras from local businesses, right? And if he was driving, that means his license plate must have been visible.”

 

“Yes on all accounts except for the license plates. He’d removed them.”

 

“Still, I’m freaking disappointed. He’s supposed to be a genius! I thought he was going to do something clever and sneaky! Why did he leave so many openings where he could get caught?”

 

“It was probably connected to his god-like perception of himself. He probably wanted there to be a little bit of a ‘challenge’ he could prove himself invincible by overcoming.”

 

“That’s hardly just a ‘challenge’. He practically handed himself over to the police!”

 

“It was a little bit harder than that. No one had gotten a good look at him, so the police didn’t have a sketch to release to the general public. They did, however, have the bullet casings, the make and model of the car, and a set of tire tracks left by Rand when he’d sped away. This particular Lexus wasn’t incredibly uncommon, so there were many others like it out on the streets to distract the police’s attention.”

 

“So what clue was the breakthrough?”

 

“The investigators were looking into the bullet casings, but before they could get any information back on them, they got a call from an auto shop in the area who called in someone wanting a tire change and paint job on the exact same make and model of Lexus the police were looking for.”

 

Mark groaned. “God, this guy is a freaking idiot!”

 

“What, do you want him to get away with murder?”

 

“No, but he’s making Harvard look bad by being this stupid!”

 

“He wouldn’t be the first person in the world to have brains but lack common sense,” Jinyoung said. “Anyways, the police obtained a search warrant on the car. They found just a little bit of gunpowder residue, which was surprising at first since there should have been a whole lot more, but then a closer examination turned up traces of chemicals used to clean the car for gunpowder residue.”

 

“Something he learned from his murder research, no doubt.”

 

“No doubt. As it happens, Rand used a fake name when leaving his car at the auto shop, but since his license plates were back on, AND he’d needed to show his driver’s license during the transaction, the police knew exactly who their guy was and were able to get a search warrant on his residence.”

 

“Unbelievable,” Mark said, shaking his head in disgust. “Truly unbelievable.”

 

Jinyoung grinned. “I knew this one would drive you crazy. That’s why I picked it. But it gets worse.”

 

How?”

 

“The police seized his computer during their search-”

 

“He didn’t actually Google about murder, did he?”

 

“He did. His hard drive turned up hundreds of articles and videos dedicated to the subject of murder and cleaning up after a crime, and his Google search history was a treasure trove of implicating questions about committing murder.”

 

Mark slammed his forehead against the investigation table. “This is infuriating! Infuriating! I mean, I’m not for murder in general, but a guy got killed all because this idiot wanted to prove he was a criminal mastermind, and he didn’t even follow through with the ‘mastermind’ part! Are human lives so meaningless to people?”

 

“That’s the sad thing. It was all just a game to him. When the cops took him in for questioning, they told him about Daniel Reynolds, the guy he’d killed. They told him he had been engaged to be married in just a few months, that he was an uncle to two nieces, that he was a gym teacher at an elementary school whose students absolutely adored him. And when Rand the Third heard all of this, he didn’t show the slightest bit of emotion. He just said ‘This is a waste of my time. I want to call my lawyer.’”

 

“I don’t think it’s possible for me to hate someone more. What was his defense? He didn’t plead guilty, did he?”

 

“No. But unfortunately for him, the evidence was too clear that he was the shooter for him to refute it, especially since his gun was found locked in the safety deposit box in his home.”

 

Idiot.”

 

“His defense was that Reynolds had called him by an ethnic slur and threatened to blow out his tires, and he felt ‘scared for his life’.”

 

Mark closed his eyes and counted to ten. “That is stupid on so many levels! One! Rand’s window was up before shooting him, so how would he hear any type of harassment unless Reynolds was screaming it? Two! What person goes on a jog and harasses random drivers while their windows are up? Three! How could Reynolds possibly make someone feel scared for their lives when he was out on a jog and probably didn’t have anything on him but house keys? Four! Are there even any ethnic slurs about white British-Americans? Five! How would he know he was British-American just by looking at him?”

 

“All points that were brought up. The ‘slur’ was that Reynolds allegedly called him a ‘wanker moneybags’.”

 

“Americans don’t use the word ‘wanker’. This is ridiculous!”

 

“The jury agreed. They charged him guilty after less than hour of deliberation. And I’m sorry to say this since it looks like you’re about to burst a blood vessel, but it got even worse at sentencing.”

 

“Is that even possible?”

 

“Yes. In his appeal to the judge for a light sentencing, he continued to insist that it wasn’t his fault and even called the jury ‘ignoramuses’ and insisted that his father would see the judge and the entire prosecution disbarred for not acquitting him.”

 

“Oh my god, he’s a homicidal Draco Malfoy.”

 

“That’s an excellent way of putting it.”

 

“Was the victim’s family in attendance?”

 

“Unfortunately.”

 

“Well. At least they got the satisfaction of seeing him behind bars. Not that it really makes what they endured any better.”

 

“Right? It’s a case you want to mock on some level because Rand the Third was such a dolt, but for the victim’s family, that had to have made it an even bigger tragedy. And the terrifying thing is that could have been anyone in Daniel Reynold’s shoes. Rand wanted to kill, and he didn’t really care who.” Jinyoung gazed into the camera with his most serious expression. “At the beginning, we discussed some of our concepts of what would go into a perfect crime. But after our case today, I would like to emphasize that I actually don’t believe there’s such a thing as a perfect crime according to this definition. Not that it never happens that someone commits a crime, doesn’t leave evidence, and doesn’t get caught, because that certainly does happen. But the fact of the victim makes every crime to me incredibly imperfect. What if Randall Warner Bower-Sheridan III had succeeded in getting away with murder? He’d get his plumped up ego and sense of superiority and his cozy life as a neurosurgeon enjoying this billions, but Daniel Reynolds’ family would be left with nothing but a senseless tragedy with no answers or closure. So in my mind, the closest we can get to a perfect crime is one with plenty of evidence and an easy path to putting the heartless criminal behind bars—and when it comes to that, perhaps this crime of Rand’s wasn’t too far off the mark at all.”

 


 

“I feel like I’m going to need a two week vacation to calm me down after that one,” Mark said after BamBam had cut their filming.

 

“We just recently got back from Colorado, didn’t we?”

 

“That wasn’t vacation, that was work.”

 

“True, I guess. I keep on saying, I’m all for having you come out to Korea. I’m sure you’d love it.”

 

“Wouldn’t I just get in the way of you spending time with your family?”

 

“I don’t see how that would be an issue considering how many times I’ve been out to California with you when you go see your family.”

 

“But I don’t have to interpret for you.”

 

“I think it would be good practice to have to interpret for someone. I’m sure my Korean has gotten pretty rusty. I’ve lived out here for ages now.”

 

“Sometimes I forget you even lived anywhere else.”

 

“Me too, sometimes.”

 

BamBam poked his head in. “You guys are still hanging around? You’re free to go home—we’re done here.”

  

Jinyoung grabbed his bag, looking at Mark. “Hey. Want to go out with me?”

 

Mark almost dropped his own bag on his foot. “W-What?”

 

“You said you needed to de-stress after that filming, so I was figuring we could do something. Maybe mini-golf or something? We haven’t done that in ages.”

 

“Sure, why not?” Mark said, steadying himself. Of course Jinyoung wouldn’t ask him out in a romantic sense just like that—he probably would never ask Mark out like that at all, so it would be better for him to stop fooling himself. “Although, I’m not sure how that will de-stress me considering what usually happens.”

 

“What usually happens?” Jinyoung asked, lifting an eyebrow.

 

“I beat you on the first few holes, you start to get bitter about it until it starts to affect your playing and you’re averaging sixes and sevens on each hole, and then you start giving me attitude about how stupid mini-golf is before refusing to speak to me for the rest of the day entirely?”

 

“I don’t do that!”

 

“Yes, you do.”

 

“Well, I won’t this time. I realize how sensitive your nerves are thanks to Rand the Third.”

 

“ that guy.”

 

“Maybe that can be a future episode. The top five killers that piss Mark off the most.”

 

“I honestly don’t think I’d be able to narrow it down to five.”

 

The two of them hopped into Mark’s car, and he drove them down to Lucky Pastures Mini-Golf, their local putt-putt course and source of many petty arguments between himself and Jinyoung. Jinyoung was usually gracious about it when Mark beat him at bowling, but for some reason refused the same courtesy when it came to mini-golf. With anyone else, it would have driven Mark crazy, but he didn’t mind when it came to Jinyoung. When Jinyoung was off in one of his exaggerated huffs, Mark loved going through the process of making Jinyoung smile again. Usually this involved doing any number of silly and stupid things while watching Jinyoung desperately resist the urge to laugh up until Mark did something so stupid and silly that he couldn’t help bursting out laughing and giving up on pretending to be mad.

 

“God, I forgot how kitschy this place was,” Jinyoung commented as Mark pulled into the parking lot. He wasn’t lying either—Lucky Pastures had a farming theme, which included a mascot named Pa Henry and his pet sheep Doodle, which appeared on all the signage. Each of the holes also had a farming theme, including the hole that gave Jinyoung the most rage, the one where you had to get the ball past a rotating windmill that often sent balls flying if you weren’t careful.

 

“I feel like I’m going to win today,” Jinyoung announced after they’d picked out their putters, golf balls, and scorecards.

 

“You say that every time.”

 

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to win. We haven’t played putt-putt in ages. You should be just as rusty as me.”

 

“When was the last time, anyways?”

 

“God…I think we were still in university? We haven’t gone out a lot since then, other than on work missions. We should do this more often.”

 

“Actually, we should probably be going out with our friends more, considering that you and I are always together thanks to work and our living arrangement to begin with. How long has it been since you’ve seen Jaebum?”

 

“He’s engaged and getting married in a few months. He doesn’t have time for me.”

 

“That’s a bit cold, considering you’re his best man.”

 

“He also lives three hours away now.”

 

“Right… Well, what about Wonpil or something?”

 

“We have our monthly bar hop. But he’s also busy and has a life and all that. And why are you judging me? You could always call Jackson up more often, but you always act like you’d rather hang around with me on our days off watching crime TV and stuff. You should let me know if I’m stifling you.”

 

“You’re not,” Mark said immediately. He did like to get together with his childhood friend Jackson on occasion, and perhaps he really did need to meet up with him more. But with the way things stood, it felt sometimes like it was more urgent to focus on Jinyoung, as if by filling his days he could somehow prove his presence essential to him to the point where Jinyoung would realize he didn’t want to be with anyone else.

 

“Good, because I don’t find you stifling either,” Jinyoung said decisively. “For someone who’s never tried to be Mr. Excitement, you’re pretty good at keeping things interesting. Which is good, because we saw today what a reckless bit of boredom can do.”

 

“So if you start trying to become a criminal mastermind for lack of anything better to do, it’s my fault?”

 

“Hey, it’s a better excuse than ‘I was defending myself after being called a 'wanker moneybags’.”

 

They both got off to a decent enough start at the beginning, but then they reached the first hole that usually spelled the start of Jinyoung’s downfall, the “pasture” hole that contained fencing and a U-shaped kissing gate you had to get the ball through. The turf curved just enough to make a hole-in-one possible if you hit the ball at the right strength and angle, but Jinyoung’s ball always wound up hitting it wrong and getting stuck in the gate.

 

“The kiss of death kissing gate,” Mark cackled when they reached the hole. “Remember, you promised not to get bitter this time.”

 

“Kissing gate? I didn’t know it was called that.”

 

“That’s because you’re a wanker moneybags that doesn’t know anything about farming.”

 

“I do not want to be called a moneybags by you of all people,” Jinyoung sniffed. He set up his ball, and sure enough, it wound up getting stuck right at the bend of the kissing gate. “Ugh, not again!”

 

He trotted over to the gate to lean over the fencing and try to get a good angle on his ball, and Mark joined him so he could get a good view and accurately mark down Jinyoung’s score in case he tried to cheat. Luckily, Jinyoung got it out in one hit, though it still evaded the hole.

 

“Hey, lean over,” Jinyoung said.

 

Mark had no idea why, but he did so anyways. Jinyoung also leaned in and then, inexplicably, planted a kiss on Mark’s cheek.

 

“W-What?” Mark stammered, jumping back and placing a hand on the place Jinyoung had kissed as if he could physically feel the traces of it just by touching.

 

“It’s a kissing gate,” Jinyoung said matter-of-factually. “Just like mistletoe.”

 

“T-That’s not at all why it’s called that.”

 

“Oh.” Jinyoung didn’t seem flustered by this knowledge that he’d just kissed Mark on the cheek for no reason. “Well, don’t bother explaining it to me. I bet my idea for it was cleverer anyways.” He went over to his ball and hit it into the hole. “Wow, I think this is the best score I’ve ever gotten on this hole. That must have been a lucky kiss.”

 

Maybe it was for him, but Mark was so flustered by it that he completely flubbed the hole and wound up getting a six on it due to his inability to think of anything else but the feel of Jinyoung’s lips on his skin. This was made even worse by the fact that Jinyoung kept offering to let Mark kiss his cheek for luck, and the fact that Mark was incredibly tempted to do it.

 

After that hole, it was like a reversal of how their putt-putt matches usually went. Jinyoung was completely calm and strategic, and managed to make par on most of the holes, even the dreaded windmill one. Mark, on the other hand, was pretty much in shambles and was averaging fives and sixes, though he didn’t lose his temper about it in the same way Jinyoung did. He simply felt dazed. Was that a joke? Was it not a joke? How am I supposed to know? What am I supposed to think? As always, Jinyoung proved to be the perfect criminal since Mark could never seem to find irrefutable evidence that left no room for reasonable doubt of what he was thinking.

 

For the first time since they’d met each other, Jinyoung wound up winning. “Wow,” he said, staring at the scorecard with a huge grin. “I must have stolen your luck back there at the kissing gate. Sorry…well, not sorry. I wanted to win.”

 

“Well, at least you’re not going to be mad at me for the rest of the day,” Mark said with a sigh.

 

“Huh. That’s too bad. I’ve always liked your ways of getting me to stop being mad.”

 

Mark rolled his eyes. “I’ve changed my mind about your alignment. You’re Lawful Evil.”

 

“How can a person be lawful and evil at the same time?”

 

“Don’t ask me. You’re the one who does it on a regular basis.”

 

Jinyoung simply smiled and shook his head. “Hey, 48 Hours Mystery is coming on soon. Let’s get home so we don’t miss it—I think it’s one with Peter Van Sant hosting!”

 

Mark couldn’t help but grin back. Maybe it didn’t matter that Jinyoung was still a mystery, as long as he kept staying by Mark’s side and giving him opportunities to find the elusive solution.

 


 

A week later, Mark was looking at the comment section of their video.

 

Does anyone else think it’s cute how Jinyoung knew how much this episode would grind Mark’s gears? He really knows him so well ;)

-littlemissmysterious-

I mean, they live together, so he probably knows a loooooot about him by now. Based on the way they talk, it really sounds like they do a lot of stuff in their free time together.

-DetectiveRaqui-

How much do you want to bet MarkJin do all these date-like things together without even realizing how couple-y it is? Like going to the grocery store, going shopping, taking walks, going bowling, all this couple stuff…but they don’t even realize how lovey-dovey it is??? They’re just like “I bet all roommates do these kinds of things” hahaha

-littlemissmysterious-​

 

Mark was once again feeling a bit guilty as charged, but also a little baffled. Were all those things truly "couple-y" or "lovey dovey"? Of course, he didn't think all roommates did those kinds of things considering most roommates barely even liked each other at all, but weren't they perfectly normal activities between friends? Other than the whole grocery shopping thing--but that was just because if only Mark went to the store, he'd wind up forgetting things without Jinyoung's superior list-tracking skills, and if only Jinyoung went to the store, he'd try too hard to save money and would neglect to buy essentials just because of the price tag.

 

But if he said that, he was sure the response would be just as gooey. "Awww, they need each other. They can't do without each other, can they?"

 

And maybe we can't, Mark thought to himself. But how much of that is love, and how much of that is spending way too much time together?

 

​Not that he was planning on stopping. Life would be much too boring without Jinyoung, and Randall Warner Bower-Sheridan III had taught them all a lesson in just how bad boredom in the hands of the wrong person could be.

 

 

A/N: August will be the last month where I do 2 chapter postings. There will be another update in a few weeks :D In September, we'll be back to one a month until the conclusion!