Sequel.

Dramarama

The sun set down on the fun fair. The lights shone even brighter and the music blared even louder through the entertained crowd.

Her friend yawned next to her. Yongseon threw her a gentle glance. They had been there for most of the afternoon. “You can go home, if you want,” she said. “I’m gonna stay for a little while.”

“And see that handsome fortune teller, why won’t you” Hyeri teased.

“Nah,” Yongseon’s instant reply came. “I really, really wanted to see the ponies.” She smiled down at her friend. “Go home.”

Hyeri saluted with two fingers on her temple and walked away. Yongseon stared after her, then let out a soft sigh. The air was chilly as the evening silently creeped in. She tucked her hands into her pockets and sauntered towards a certain gaudy tent, slightly hidden behind the big wheel.

The sensations that hit her when she crossed the threshold, were exactly the same as she remembered hours ago. The velvety comfort - almost suffocating but not quite, the warm and dark colours splattered on the walls as well in the small details like candles, the smell of incense…

The table was in the centre of the room, but no one was sitting there. The boy she was looking for, was standing in a corner, on the opposite side, with his back on her.

But that didn’t stop him for noticing her presence. “What can I do for you, pretty words?” he said with his singing voice. “Or shall I call you ‘pretty carnation’?”

Yongseon brushed absentmindedly the flower tucked behind her ear. “If you are a so-called seer, shouldn’t you already know?”

He turned completely his body, his eyes sparkling.

“I do,” he answered, “but that’s the way normal people begin a conversation. Otherwise, I would be just rude.”

“Yeah. Of course, you’re not… that.”

He took a step forward. “I can be a lot of things, pretty words. Just for you.”

“Don’t bother,” she scoffed. “I just want you to do a prediction.”

“Oh, really?”

She couldn’t say if he was mocking her or if he was excited at the idea – perhaps both. His smile softened and he gestured towards the table, inviting her to take a seat. “Please, sit down. Do you want a cup of tea?”

She shrugged. He turned to the side and walked to the cupboards. He brought back a china teacup and a china teapot and put it down in front of her. Both objects looked so incongruous in this dark velvet blue and dimmed-light atmosphere – a night full of stars. But then, so was their owner.

“We’re lucky I had already put the kettle on,” he noted, and grinned his breath-taking smile that turned his eyes into crescents. As if he’d had water boiled because he knew she was coming. He poured water into the cup, leaves of tea already laying inside the china.

“Lucky, indeed,” she muttered.

Or maybe he had suggested some tea because he’d had water boiled. She circled carefully the teacup with her palms. It was warm. Exactly the right temperature. Her frown accentuated.

“Thanks”, she mumbled.

“Right—” he seemed to remember something all of a sudden. He rummaged through drawers and then finally sat down in front of Yongseon with something in his hands. He slammed a deck of cards on the table and browsed through it. “What do you want to know?”

Yongseon looked over the rim of her cup. “Shouldn’t you be aware?”

The grin returned. Yongseon stared.

“Ah, pretty words. You are way too interesting to be annoyed at. The prediction has better effects if you say your wish out loud.”

Really.

Such nonsense

She finished her tea, letting it warm , before putting it back down. “Pretty sure that’s not how wishes work.”

The boy laid his chin in his palm and blinked lazily. “Pretty, indeed.” He stared more under his dark eyelashes. “Well,” he motioned around him, “my house, my rules.”

He gave a small nod towards her cup.

“What do you see?”

She bent down a little and looked at the bottom. There were soaked bits of tea leaves, but nothing else.

“Nothing,” she admitted, slightly disappointed.

He smiled softly and asked her for her cup. She did, and once again, he didn’t lose the opportunity to brush his fingers against her own. His hands were so warm, so warm, it sent a shiver down her spine.

He looked down in turn, with that ridiculously y frown. How could someone look y while frowning – it was beyond her.

So, she frowned, too.

“Mmh…” he hummed. “I see a dog. A black, black hound.” He looked up, eyes serious and stared right at her. “I think it’s the Sinistros.”

Oh my…

“… did you just Prisoner-of-Azkaban me?”

His face broke into a wide grin, so merry, she couldn’t bring herself to be angry.

“Only if you know who the hell is Professor Trelawney.” He put the cup down the table and held out the deck to her. “More seriously, choose three cards but don’t look at them. Not yet.”

She sighed and did what he asked for. She displayed the cards before her. He moved his arms up and wiggled them a bit for the sleeves to fall down on his forearms, and gathered the rest of the cards.

“Now, tell me specifically what you want to know. Out loud.”

She looked away and bit at her lip. “I want to know why, er, why my ex…”

“Why did he leave you? The exact reason.”

“Once again, I don’t know if you truly have powers or if you just know how to make the right assumptions.”

“Either way, I’m talented, sweetheart,” he winked.

She crossed her arms across her chest, but somehow felt a bit relieved. He had understood the situation, and was not treating her like an obsessional girlfriend – ex-girlfriend – but as a slightly insecure person who needed some kind of reassurance.

He hovered his hands over the three cards and closed his eyes for a moment.

“He has cheated on you and had some kind of remorse,” he said gingerly.

She stared at the melted wax at the feet of the golden candles, and grumbled: “I freaking knew it… and yet he had the nerve to turn me into the culprit, saying I wasn’t doing enough.”

“Like I said, pretty words,” he replied. “You deserve better.”

She tucked at her bottom lip. “What, like you?” she snapped.

He looked up innocently. “You said it, not me”

She hissed.

“Men…”

Before she could stand up out of anger, he sighed and took her hand. “Calm down,” he lulled. “It’s okay. I would tell you wrath looks good on you,” he added with a slight teasing tone, and dropped it instantly. “But that’s not really the point. No one is to blame, honestly. That’s the way people are. It comes and goes. Sometimes, it stays, and changes. But there will always be people who love you for what you are. Boyfriends, friends, family… your pick.”

She pouted. The fuelling anger slowly melted down, like a wave gently crashing down, along with the soothing movement of the boy’s thumb on her skin.

“Do I have to pay for the boost of self-confidence as well?”

He gasped. “Of course!” He rose up and squeezed her hand a little to invite her to do the same.

“You’ve never told me your name,” she noticed, as he walked the both of them to the centre of the room.

“A true magician always keeps their fair share of mystery, pretty flower.” He leaned forwards, his gorgeous forehead and scattered little moles on display, and whispered at her ear. “You still have to pay the price.”

His breath brought a shiver on her neck. He stepped back, then to the side as he grabbed the three cards. Without letting go of her hand. He turned the cards upside down.

“I will not pay you if you’re a con,” she mumbled, before looking down at the cards. The cards. The cards were blank. “And I still believe you’re a con.”

“You didn’t tie your shoes,” he noticed, not paying attention.

“What if I want to fall for someone? You can’t force me.”

He grinned. “I would never, Yongseon.”

He knew her name, how did he…? Think, think, surely her friend must have called her earlier by her name. Yeah, yeah, she did. “And yet, I still don’t know your name.”

He held both of her hands, his fingers still tracing reassuring patterns on her skin. All of her previous anger was long gone. The atmosphere around them had dimmed noticeably, she hadn’t paid attention at all. The candles were lit, and all the flames were blue. And that damn rockstar-slash-fortune teller was closer. The little lights reflected a mischievous sparkle in his eyes.

“A kiss for the name.” He smiled up at her. “Another kiss as a price. Which one do you choose? It can be either, both or none. You have the choice. Like I said, I would never, ever force you.”

Yongseon’s stare fell on the boy’s lips.

“That is blackmail, though. It doesn’t really feel like I have a choice, after all.”

He chuckled. “Only if you’re curious. So, pretty flower—” He brought a hand to the carnation on her hair and his fingers brushed against the shell of her ear.

It was so easy to lean into the touch.

“Which option will it be?”

“Yes,” she whispered as she grabbed his shirt and leaned in. She crushed her lips against his, allowing the intoxicating sweet smell of incense invade her senses. She closed her eyes and her grip tightened.

His hand reached up to cup her cheek, and their tongues collided. He tasted like mint and sage. It was entrancing.

He broke gently the kiss, a tad out of breath, though not stepping away. His palm was warm against her skin, as if it was also transmitting energy through their bodies. He offered her a soft smile, unlike any other, and mouthed, “this is for the price.”

The second time, he was the one kissing her. And when he backed away again, he smiled that spellbinding smile and said,

“Irresistible. My name is Kihyun.”