Four

Break My Stride

Waking up in Jungkook’s arms was something that he thought he could get used to easily. As soon as he opened his eyes he was face to face with the Alpha, the other’s appearance so innocent and peaceful in sleep. He took the chance to observe him at leisure, memorizing all the various moles and scars. 

“Watching people sleep is really creepy, hyung.” 

Yoongi sputters as Jungkook cracks open an eye, his lips turning up in a sleepy grin. 

“Shut up. I was just trying to figure out how to wake you up since you sleep like you’re dead.” 

Jungkook hums and scratches his belly. “Hmm, I’ve always wanted to wake up with your mouth on my co - “

Yoongi kicks him in the shin. “Yeah, I get it, shut up…maybe next time.” 

Jungkook giggles and rolls over on top of Yoongi, uncaring of their equally horrible morning breath as he kisses him sweetly on the lips. He pauses for just a moment before doing the same to the mating bite that was slowly healing on Yoongi’s neck. The spot tingled at the touch, the overwhelming depth of Jungkook’s feelings bleeding through the connection. It was going to take a lot of work to get used to that. 

“Mmm,” Yoongi hums deeply. “We should start heading back. I’m starving and they should have the good BBQ food trucks out today. They know we all worked up an appetite.” 

“We did,” Jungkook smirks, then his expression changes instantly, his eyes going impossibly wide. He nibbles at Yoongi’s shoulder as he stares up at him. “You should buy me meat, hyung. Buy me lamb skewers.” 

“I’ll give you some meat,” Yoongi grumbles playfully as he climbs off the bed, stretching his aching limbs. 

“I mean, I’m down for anything,” Jungkook giggles. 

Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Jesus, you’re in the morning, aren’t you?” 

Jungkook comes around the bed and wraps his arms around Yoongi’s waist, nuzzling into the Omega’s neck. 

“Just for you, hyung.” 

“And sappy too,” Yoongi chuckles and turns his head to peck Jungkook on his cheek in consolation for tearing his arms off of him. 

“Grab your clothes, baby. We gotta go before Jin orders all the steak for himself. Let’s not forget the twenty orders of crabs and lobsters debacle of 2015.” 

The Alpha sighs, but it sounds so happy Yoongi looks at him curiously. He’s looking all dreamy, with that dopey little smile again. 

“What?” 

Jungkook shrugs, “I like it when you call me baby.” 

Yoongi chuckles and throws Jungkook’s pants onto his face. The Alpha grumbles but eventually starts tugging his clothes on and straightening himself up. His bedhead flopped around cutely, unable to be tamed. 

Yoongi quickly got ready himself, tugging on his clothes and ruffling his hair a bit. He definitely needed a shower, but he settled for using the few toiletries he’d thought to bring - an extra layer of deodorant and a gargle of mouthwash, neither of which covered up the heady ‘just mated’ scent that emanated from his very pores. Not that he really minded. He rather enjoyed how their scents had blended together, creating something that smelled like a summer day with undercurrents of contented mates. Something he’d never thought he’d associate with himself. He was surprised at how much he was looking forward to showing off that he belonged to Jungkook. 

“What are we gonna do with all your other stuff here, hyung?” Jungkook asks as he hands Yoongi a water bottle from the chest. He takes a moment to chug the whole thing and tosses it into the garbage bag in the corner. 

“We’ll come back for it later tonight. There’s a trail not too far away that my car can reach and I’ll need the bedding to be able to get any sleep,” Yoongi grumbled, slightly annoyed at the very thought of being away from his nest for too long.

Newly bonded couples usually stayed near their nests for at least a week, and he was starting to realize why. He had to struggle through the slight panic he felt over being away from their “den”, temporary though it was supposed to be. His Omega was practically whining thinking of leaving the well-scented nest. The urge to just say it and tackle Jungkook into the bedding was really strong. 

Yoongi went to the tunnel and waited as Jungkook tugged on his track jacket before he walked over and gestured towards him. 

“After you, hyung,” Jungkook waved towards the tunnel with a suspicious looking grin. 

Yoongi narrowed his eyes but shrugged, climbing into the tunnel. He scuttled along, maybe making sure his waved in front of the Alpha’s face a little more than was necessary. He yelped when Jungkook answered his challenge by biting him right on the . The other answered his glare with an unapologetic smirk before they continued their journey. 

Once they reached the end and crawled out, they helped each other clean off then started walking the same path they’d taken to get there. The weather was perfect - sunny with just a touch of breeze to make it bearable. The birds were chirping, squirrels running around on the branches. Add to that the moment when Jungkook slyly laced his fingers with Yoongi’s as they walked and it was a regular Disney moment. 

Since they were just walking it took a bit longer to reach the stream, and by the time they were there, Yoongi was getting tired. He stopped for a moment to stretch and kick some of the kinks in his ankles away. Jungkook suddenly walked in front of him and presented his back. 

“Hop on.” 

“What? We still have a bit and I’m heavy,” Yoongi protested with a wave. 

“You weigh next to nothing. Come on, baby. Sooner we get there, sooner you can buy me meat.” 

Yoongi sputters at the unexpected endearment, while Jungkook grins. 

“You like it too, huh? Noted.” 

Just to shut him up, Yoongi climbs onto the offered back, lacing his arms around Jungkook’s neck and winding his legs around the Alpha’s surprisingly thin waist. 

“Hold on, hyung.” 

And with that, Jungkook charges ahead, running at nearly full speed as Yoongi tries to hold on without squealing. Suddenly, it’s not that surprising how Jungkook had caught up with him so fast if he could run like this even while he was carrying a whole other person. 

Because of Jungkook’s ridiculous stamina, they made the last stretch in half the time it would have taken Yoongi alone. Just as they passed the final stretch of stream, the sounds of the Run event filtered through the trees. Many of the people had been here for hours already, waiting for the couples that had stayed in the woods overnight to rejoin their parties. This second day of the event was the biggest and was when everyone would take the chance to celebrate new joinings and make sure the new couples were fed well before they went on their way to their new homes. 

As soon as the official tables came into view, Jungkook gently helped Yoongi back onto his own feet and grasped his hand to pull him eagerly towards them.

Jungkook walked straight towards the first woman he saw with a clipboard, blindsiding the stunned woman with one of his lethal smiles while he wrapped an arm around Yoongi’s waist to pull him close. 

“Hi! We both need mating packets.” 

Yoongi rolled his eyes because he could tell that Jungkook was practically bragging instead of just asking like a normal person. 

The woman’s smile widened as she passed them the sign-out sheet and two big packets of paperwork. 

“Congratulations! You make a lovely couple. Your packet includes an instruction sheet and we’ve tried to make filling them out as painless as possible. Just remember to send them in within two weeks to avoid the fine. I hope you two have a happy union,” the official enthused, cooing whenever Jungkook would nuzzle into Yoongi’s hair. 

Jungkook signed out and passed Yoongi the board while he accepted the two bulging packets. Yoongi quickly scribbled his name, pausing for a moment to take it all in. This was it. He wouldn’t have to look at this dumb again. No more runs for him. He was free of it all and coming out with a good Alpha that was already his best friend. Not in a million years had he ever pictured this outcome, but he was so happy that Jungkook chose him. 

They don’t even bother looking for the others yet as both of them were absolutely starving, so they went straight towards the food trucks. After letting Jungkook enthusiastically pull him between four different trucks, they came away with two BBQ platters with ten lamb skewers on the side, a couple orders of bao buns, a variety platter of tacos, and a couple of strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Yoongi wasn’t even sure if they were going to eat it all, but he figured what they didn’t touch the rest of the group would descend on like vultures. 

They were searching for an open picnic bench to settle down on when Yoongi heard a deep voice screaming Jungkook’s name. Taehyung waved to them wildly as he stood on top of a table, obviously having been trying to keep an eye out for them. 

Yoongi breathed deeply, suddenly nervous. He was proud, yes, but he was still nervous about what his friends would think. There could be any number of issues that they could take with their mating, like that he was too old for Jungkook, too mean, too messed up - just too much. 

Instead, Taehyung’s happy grin turned into a smirk the closer they got. He jumped off the table and his gaze flickered between Yoongi and Jungkook’s necks, inhaling deeply before he suddenly started laughing. Jimin sauntered up holding a couple of drinks, and he handed one to Taehyung as he looked at him curiously. 

“Look,” Taehyung said breathily between bouts of laughter, “They finally figured it out.” 

Jimin turned his glance to the two standing awkwardly with their hands full of food, his eyes widening as he took in the bite marks. He inhaled deeply before chuckling. 

“Congrats! It’s about time.” 

Yoongi looked at the two, suddenly very confused. 

“What the hell does that mean?” he muttered as he set his food down on the table. Jungkook silently slid in next to him and squeezed his thigh in comfort. 

“It means,” Jimin rolled his eyes, “That we been knew. Jungkookie has always been obvious as hell about you, hyung. And we always knew he was your favorite. Oh god, Tae. Do you remember the time Jungkook spent an entire weekend making Yoongi hyung a valentine when he was like, ten? He even made him homemade chocolates shaped like music notes.” 

Taehyung giggled, nodding his head. “Oh yeah. And remember when Yoongi thought Jungkookie was dating that Mina girl? He was like an angry bear and kept snapping at everyone. Then suddenly, he was hungry and nothing but the pancakes at the diner would do. Nevermind that was where Jungkook was hanging out with Mina to study for their science project.” 

“Okay, I get it. Alright,” Yoongi murmured, distracting himself with a bite of food. 

“Baby,” Jungkook suddenly whispered against his ear, “Were you jealous?” 

Yoongi could feel his face flush as he cleared his throat and whispered back. 

“I wanted to rip her hair out and I didn’t know why.” 

Jungkooks smug grin was totally worth letting that little embarrassing fact drop. 

“Anyway, everyone else on their way?” Yoongi asked after taking a sip of his drink. 

Jimin and Taehyung sneak a glance at each other before wiggling their eyebrows in tandem. 

“Now there’s a story. Basically, one moment we were finishing our dinner as we watched you two start your run, then Hobi and Namjoon were quietly arguing with Jin. The next thing I know, Hobi starts growling at Jin and goes, “Run,” in like the scariest voice I’ve ever heard him use. Jin just stood there looking stunned for a minute and starts to walk away like he was leaving. Then Namjoon stands up and points towards the forest and goes, “Wrong way, hyung. Run that way,” Jimin explains dramatically, letting Taehyung take over the rest. 

“Yeah, and then Jinnie looks shocked as hell but then he books it. Namjoonie and Hobie hyung kissed for like a whole minute, which was both sweet and gross, and then Hobie I swear to God said, “Let’s go get our mate, baby,” then ran after Jinnie. So I’m guessing they ed in the woods all night because we still haven’t seen them come back.” 

“Huh,” Yoongi huffs. “Speaking of about time.”

All four of them make various sounds of agreement then focused on their food for the most part, Jimin occasionally regaling them with tales of couples he’d seen coming out of the woods. Jungkook was absolutely shameless with his affection, not caring if Taehyung or Jimin made fun of him for his constant nuzzling or various groping on Yoongi’s person. Yoongi himself was surprised that he was allowing it, as he’d never really been into PDA, but instead his stupid Omega was preening and basking with pride in the Alpha’s affections. It probably didn’t hurt when he saw how many envious glances were thrown his mate’s way. 

An hour later and they were all beginning to consider texting the other three to make sure they were at least alive. Yoongi was getting anxious because he really wanted to leave and nest with Jungkook, his Omega slowly growing nervous with all the various scents coming close to his new mate. 

Just as he was about to suggest leaving and apologizing to the rest later, the three finally came through the trees, all of them holding hands with Seokjin in the middle. They were covered in dirt and leaves but looked happy and content. All three of them sporting mating bites on both sides of their necks. 

The four at the table erupted into whistles and catcalls as they came closer. Namjoon’s proudly puffed his chest, his pride nearly rivaling Jungkook’s attitude of the day. Hoseok’s smile was beaming and Seokjin somehow managed to look unruffled, though his slight blush gave him away. 

“Congratulations,” Yoongi smirked as he raised his cup towards the new mates. 

Jin quirked an eyebrow at him, “Indeed. I could say the same for you. Been doing things with my baby brother, have you?” 

Yoongi sputtered and eyed Seokjin nervously before the other finally broke, laughing loudly. 

“Relax. I’ve known about his crush for years. And then when he presented he wouldn’t stop screaming your name - which, thanks for that. That’s burned into my memory for all ing time.” 

“So you’re not mad?” 

“Of course not. I couldn’t have picked better for either of you. I love you both and you’ll be happy together. Of course, if you hurt him, you know how much crime television I watch. I could kill you and dispose of the body and weep so well at your funeral not a soul would suspect me.” 

“Noted,” Yoongi cringed as Jungkook giggled and kissed the side of his head. 

“Hyung, wanna go home?” Jungkook whispered. 

Yoongi nodded and Jungkook stood up, grabbing his hand to help him up. They left the rest of the food there for the others to pick on and waved to the table, 

“Alright, we’re out of here. Don’t bother us for the rest of the weekend,” Jungkook smirked at the group. They rolled their eyes and yelled their goodbyes. 

“Make sure you remember to eat well!” Hobi screamed, “And don’t forget to make sure Yoongi drinks water! He always forgets, and he smells like he’s going into heat. OH, get him Slurpees! He loves those when he’s in heat!” 

“Will do, hyung! Bye guys!” 

Yoongi rushes off before they finish screaming instructions, now thoroughly embarrassed - even if he was a little touched by their concern. 

Jungkook escorts him to his own car and even opens the door for him. Yoongi knows it’s only a matter of time before he goes back to his spoiled brat ways, so for now he’s enjoying this side of Jungkook. 

The drive is quiet but comfortable, the two of them only unlacing their clasped hands if necessary. When they pull up to the three-story Italiante house that Yoongi has coveted since he was young, his heart feels like it’s going to burst out of his chest. 

“Are you happy, hyung?” Jungkook asks as he helps Yoongi out of the car and pulls him towards the entrance. 

Yoongi’s voice catches when he tries to answer, so he simply nods and squeezes Jungkook’s hand, knowing the other will understand and perhaps feel him over the bond without saying anything. 

Yoongi’s only been able to see the inside of this house in person a couple times, mostly having to rely on memory and internet pictures to make his dream plans. The inside is still the same, with the original wood floors, intricate windows, and the massive fireplace in the front parlor. It appeared as though all that Jungkook had really done was clean the place up and add a couple of chairs and a small table for them to use during the bonding period. 

“I figured since I was able to buy the whole thing with cash and now it’s all ours, we could use the savings you’ve been putting together towards actually decorating it how you wanted and fixing up whatever needed it.” 

“That’s…God, that’s perfect, Kook. You’re perfect. Thank you,” Yoongi said breathlessly, trying to contain his tears as he took in the magnificence of the house. The home of his dreams, with the perfect Alpha. He didn’t know if he deserved all this, but he wasn’t willing to give it up even if he wasn’t. 

“I already claimed the bedroom towards the back of the upstairs hall for us. It’s the biggest and I put a mattress and stuff in there for us to use until we go shopping,” Jungkook nods towards the stairs before suddenly clearing his throat nervously. 

“And…uh…we might wanna pick a room for a nursery.” 

“Oh yeah?” Yoongi huffed a laughed, “Already making big plans, baby Alpha?” 

“Um,” Jungkook ruffled his hair nervously, “So part of being a prime is enhanced scenting and hearing, even more than the usual Alpha. So…uh…we can smell stuff like pregnancy right away. And hear heartbeats. And enhanced fertility…” Jungkook’s voice trailed off until it was nearly a whisper.  

Yoongi turned to stare at the nervous Alpha, lifting an eyebrow as he pieced together what Jungkook was trying to say. 

“You motherer. You knocked me up, didn’t you?” 

“Um…yes? I mean, it’s too early to hear a heartbeat I think, but I can smell you. You smell really super sweet and like…maybe milky?” 

Yoongi strode towards him and startled him by reaching up and pulling him in for a hard kiss. When he pulled away, Jungkook gaped at him in awe. 

“You’re not mad?” 

“No, baby. I’m not mad. I’m…maybe overwhelmed a bit. Just yesterday I was resigned to being alone, and now I have an amazing mate and a pup on the way. I’m so grateful that you picked me.” 

Jungkook rushed forward and embraced him, nuzzling his nose into Yoongi’s hair. 

“I love you, hyung.” 

“I love you too, baby.” 

With that, Jungkook swooped in and grabbed Yoongi, picking him up bridal style as he ran up the stairs to their new nest, where they spent the rest of the day breaking it in until they had to leave to clean out Yoongi’s cave under the cover of darkness. 

 

***

Yoongi fanned himself as he sat in an uncomfortable lawn chair, the blazing sun making him absolutely miserable. It would have been tough for him on a usual day, but now at five months pregnant, he was basically in hell. Still, there was no way he’d miss Jungkook’s academy graduation. 

The six of them were crammed into the middle of the front row as they waited for Jungkook’s name to called. Hobi was excitedly waiting for his chance to embarrass the poor Alpha with the brightly colored banner he made just for the occasion. The other two youngest were rapidly arguing back and forth trying to decide on some sort of chant they were going to scream. 

Yoongi gently smiled as Jungkook’s eyes found him in the crowd, the other’s bunny smile wide and beaming when he caught sight of his mate. They were still as crazy about each other as ever, having spent the last five months building their home together and finding it easy to turn their close friendship into a solid foundation for their new life as mates. His Alpha absolutely doted on him and Yoongi did everything he could to make sure Jungkook knew he felt the same. 

Finally, Jungkook’s name was called and he walked up to shake the Captain’s hand and accept the paper stating he’d graduated from the Police Academy after six grueling months of training. 

The group clapped along with the rest of the room, but Hobi and the two brats of course stood up and started dancing and waving the banner around as Jungkook’s face flush a lovely color of dark pink. He tried to gesture for Hobi to sit down, even knowing it was a futile attempt. 

It wasn’t until they determined they had thoroughly embarrassed the young Alpha enough that they finally settled down and allowed the announcer to call the next person. Yoongi chuckled to himself know he was going to have to listen to Jungkook about their friends later. 

After the ceremony, there was a small reception and the group found themselves in the back of the room settling into a round table that was similar to their usual spot. Yoongi observed his friends contently as he held hands with Jungkook under the table, the other one rubbing his stomach absentmindedly. 

“You know, something just occurred to me,” Namjoon suddenly blurted. “It’s not that surprising we all ended up together. We never wanted to make friends with other people either, so of course we would want to be mates with each other too.” 

“Speak for yourself, hyung,” Taehyung chuckled. “I have tons of friends that aren’t you guys. So does Jiminie.” 

Namjoon rolls his eyes. “I just mean like, maybe there was a reason we always stuck together. Maybe we were all meant to be.” 

“If you’re trying to tell me you love me, Joonie, I appreciate it but I have a lovely Alpha already,” Yoongi smirks. 

“I just mean, like, soulmates. You know? Maybe we were supposed to meet to help each other find our mates. Or maybe we are all soulmates in various forms.” 

“I’m too exhausted to think about this right now, my love. We all love each other, we’re going to grow up and live in the same nursing home. Etc, etc. Just eat,” Jin says as he shoves a piece of chicken in Namjoon’s mouth. 

Yoongi was grateful for Jin’s interference because he was too tired for one of Namjoon’s epiphanies, but he did get what he’d been trying to say. He’s always felt like this group was where he was supposed to be, these other six souls that there intertwined with his own. And one that shone brighter than the rest as it became one with his; as Jungkook’s love and devotion made every day worth living. 

He his stomach gently, smiling to himself. Jungkook squeezed his hand and spoke words of love with his eyes as he smiled down at the Omega. 

Yes, this is where he was meant to be.