Chapter 1

Dead Ringer

Some might call what you were doing a sure death sentence. But you had to get caught to die, and that just wasn’t an option.

When you jumped down from the top of the wall, you landed in the grass on the other side. Your feet soundlessly hit the earth, drowned by the screams of cicadas in the gardens.

It was a bit of a drop, ten feet at least, but it was starting to feel normal now.

Almost routine.

You ducked down into the bushes, watching a line of night guards pass through a gap in the leaves. You waited for them to disappear, adjusted the mask on your head, and bolted for the door across the way. Carefully jiggling the handle you found it to be unlocked, just as it had been the other times before, and you silently eased into the space.

This was now your third time breaking into the King’s palace.

You weren’t stupid, you knew the risk. But if you were successful, you’d never have to do it again, you reasoned.

It was purely for survival. There was nothing fun about it, satisfying maybe, but you needed to eat. You had made your rounds on the town before turning to the palace as your last option, and once you started you couldn’t bring it in yourself to turn back. Stealing from a man that had everything would always be better than taking from people that had nothing.

The inside looked even more familiar now, inviting even. You felt comfortable as you creeped around the halls, at peace with the silence. It was easy, almost too easy, and you knew you’d be in and out just like every other time

As you edged along the wide palace halls you listened for footsteps and voices. It was quiet, the dead of night, and even your footsteps seemed to echo. You took a detour, making a left instead of a right turn unlike the other times. You knew that to find what you were looking for meant a change in scenery.

When you got to the end of the hall, you peeked around the corner to see an armed guard standing in front of a large set of double doors. It was unusual for anyone to be protecting a single room unless it was the King’s quarters. You began to wonder if you had gone too far, but remembered that the King stayed in another wing of the palace all together. Whatever was inside had to be worth the special attention.

The man was already nodding off and barely keeping his stance.

Suddenly another guard approached him, and you pressed your back against the wall.

“Go rest. Nothing is going to happen between now and the end of your shift.” you heard the man whisper.

The guard thanked him and the two walked off, leaving the door free for your approach. It was locked, and you used one of the pins in your pocket to pick the keyhole. You heard a click and forced the door open, your breath stopping and your smile spreading when you looked around.

Mountains of jewels were stacked around the room. Velvet boxes overflowed with gleaming rocks and gold bars. The room seemed to glow, pulling you in all directions as you struggled to choose a starting point. But there was no time for indecisiveness. You closed the door behind you, taking random handfuls and stuffing them into your bag.

The solid rocks felt cold in your hands, and you wanted to relish in the moment. You could feel the future in your palms, the possibilities that it all would bring once you left the palace. A new life was coming soon, and you could taste it.

After grabbing as much as the bag could hold, you slung the load over your shoulder and inched back out into the hall. You silently retraced your steps until you heard voices approaching your direction from around the corner.

You had nowhere to hide in the empty hallway. No table or cabinet to crouch behind, only feet of clean carpet on the long stretch of hallway. You stood there in a frozen panic when two guards came into view. They stopped in their tracks, head tilted as they were seemingly just as stunned and clueless as you.

“Who are you?” one asked, coming to a stop as he tried to see your features through your mask.

“What are you doing here?” the other asked dumbly.

You snapped out of your daze and booked it, slipping past them as they grabbed at you.

“HALT!” they screamed, “INTRUDER! HALT!”

You heard the sound of a whistle, and you flew down the hallway, skidding as you cut sharp corners. When you reached the doors you had entered through, you flung it open, hearing footsteps behind you. You glanced back to see six guards on your tail. The whistle and yelling continued, but it sounded as though they were getting further as you raced away. Once you were outside you careened through the garden, the bag on your back clanging loudly with every step you took. The wall was right before you, calling to you like a safe haven.

You let your momentum take over and jumped. Your feet padded against the brick barrier and your fingertips neared the top. Freedom was mere inches away when your shoes slipped on the wall, sending you downwards. Your fingernails dug into the brick painfully as you tried to climb back up. When you hit the ground, you jumped up again, but it was futile.

Someone had grabbed you by the bag, yanking you down and throwing you into the grass. The wind was knocked out of you, and someone stripped your back as the stars spun above you.

“Oh, look what we have here.” one guard with a deep voice mused as he looked inside.

“Nice try,” another said, “Maybe next time.”

“Knowing King Seokjin, there won’t be a next time,” another looming over you added.

“Bring him to the cellar.”

You kicked wildly as they surrounded you from all sides. Tugged from the ground by the collar, you were grabbed by your flailing limbs. They lifted you easily and carried you through the palace. The guards kicked open a door, your feet never touching the earth as you were brought down a winding staircase. It was cold, the only illumination coming from the burning torches lining the way. They stopped in front of a small cell door and shoved you inside. You stumbled and fell onto a dusty bench, your hip hitting the stone as you tried to catch yourself.

“Let’s take a look, shall we?” The tallest of the bunch announced.

He came up and snatched the mask from your head. He stilled, eyes boring into your face as if he were trying to make sense of it. The guard blinked at you. If you didn’t know any better you would say you saw fear in his expression.The men behind him fell silent, the arrogant smiles faltering.

“What?” you asked through your teeth.

“It’s...you’re-”

“A girl? you finished.

“What in the hell?” another muttered.

They turned to each other, the dungeon erupting in panicked whispers.

“It’s not possible, is it?”

“What do we do?”

The man backed away, dropping your mask on the floor. The glow of the torches showed his terror. Every guard looked as if they were waiting for you to disappear in a burst of smoke. As if they were waiting for the illusion to be over.

He suddenly slammed and locked the door, the iron clanging loudly as he and the others ran away.

“Hey!” you called after them, but it was pointless. The clamor of their boots were already far down the hall and out of earshot.

You sat on the bench, cold and broken.

Freedom was merely at your fingertips. Your ticket to a new life lay literally on your back, and it had been taken away before you even got a chance to appreciate it. And here you were, locked in a dungeon in the very kingdom you longed to escape so desperately.

A tear slid down your cheek and you curled up on the tiny bench. You sighed, a sour cough of a laugh escaping through your lips.

Maybe you should start planning for death after all.

__________________
 

You had just managed to fall asleep when the heavy door creaked open.

Your eyes adjusted as a crew of dark silhouettes walked into your cell. You shot up to your feet, and the guards grabbed you for the second time that night.

“Where are you taking me?” you asked, wincing at the way their fingers dug into your arms.

“To the King,” a guard responded flatly.

“W-what? Why?” you asked, getting no response, “Answer me! What’s going on?!”

You thrashed around, kicking your legs but their grip only got tighter. You weren’t the lightest person in the world but they didn’t seem to be having a hard time dealing with you. You figured since you had already been caught, your consequence for resisting couldn’t be much worse than what they had already planned to do with you.

They remained silent, unwavered by your demands as they moved you around the gloomy dungeon halls. You were brought back outside and the strong wind took your breath away. They marched down the path and kicked opened a gate that lead to a courtyard deep within the palace. It was an area you had yet to explore, and in the darkness it was was brightened by hanging lights. If it were under different circumstances, you might think it was beautiful.

You were carried up stairs and one of the guards went over and slid the wooden door open. The barrier revealed a spacious room with high ceilings and columns that seemed to reach all the way up to the heavens. In the almost eerie dimness you noticed even more men scattered around the room, all in sleepwear and looking incredibly irritated. Though, when you came into view there was a sudden hush over the room, their eyes rounding when they took in your face.

You glanced between the group, squirming in discomfort as they stared at you. It was the same look the guards had given you, one of fear and fascination. There was a long carpet that lead straight down the middle of the room and up to a golden throne. There sat a young man in silk pyjamas. He leaned in closer in his seat to get a better look for himself.

You knew that you had seen him before. It was hard to forget someone whose face was on posters on every street corner. It didn’t really sink in until that moment when you realized you were really standing before him.

King Seokjin.

The man that had started it all. The root of all your problems, the reason for all of your suffering. The reason you had to go to such lengths to simply survive. You felt your blood begin to boil and your face fall, eyes changing to glare up at the man and his dumbfounded expression.

He continued to look you up and down, face mirroring the uncertainty he felt.

“This is her?” he asked almost timidly.

His voice was soft, not what you were expecting from the infamous ruler.

One of the guards holding you nodded, “We thought you would want to see this for yourself, Your Majesty.”

His gaze never left you, and a series of emotions crossed his face. Happiness? Disbelief? Dread?

He cleared his throat, “What is your name?” he asked in a near whisper.

“________,” you responded blandly.

“So, _______, you’re the thief that had me and my council woken up in the middle of the night. You’re the thief that dared to steal from me?”

“The one and only.”

The guards jerked your arms painfully, but you didn’t let it show on your face.

The King’s eyebrows rose, taken aback. He looked a lot younger in person. In all your years in the kingdom you had never seen him up close, only by standing on your tiptoes as you tried to look over the crowd at Kingdom meetings were you able to catch a glimpse. Word had it that he was even more handsome up close, but you couldn’t see anything past your building rage.

The longer you stared up at his face, at his carefully tousled dark hair and perfect skin, the fire within you seemed to burn more. How could someone have time to indulge in vanity when their people suffered?

He suddenly broke out into laughter, a bright noise that rang through the room. The entire mood switched, and even the men standing around watched him in confusion. He appraised you, his interest growing, “So what makes you think you could get away with stealing from me of all people? Aren’t there targets who are less...ambitious? I’d say you bit off more than you can chew, love.”

Your body tensed at the pet name, and your fist balled at your side. “I’ve gotten away with it twice already. Why not go for a third, right?”

“Twice?” he scoffed, “Impressive, I must admit.”

His lips lifted in a slow grin, elbows resting on his knees. It was obvious he was being facetious, but you wondered why he was even entertaining you at all, “How did you do it?”

“You need better security, for starters.”

“But why me?” he asked, “You must have a lot of confidence in your ability.”

“You think I do this because I want to? Because I have a passion for it? LIke its a hobby?” you tried to keep your voice even, “I chose you because I need to survive. And because of your rule I can barely put a single meal on the table.” you spit.

“I don’t understand,” he said, leaning back into his throne.

It was your turn to laugh now, a bitter sound that didn’t reach your eyes, “Y-you don’t understand? Of course you wouldn’t. Just look at where we are. Why would anyone need to live like this? How can you live with yourself? Throwing feasts when people in the kingdom are literally starving!”

His face dropped. Once an amused mask was now marred with ignorance, “No one is starving, the kingdom is thriving. I’ve seen it with my own eyes, how dare you tell me otherwise?”

“You see what you want to see. Your carriage only goes through the main plaza. When was the last time you’ve gone to the east side? The south? Visited the schools? It’s falling apart and you don’t see a thing! You don’t do a thing! You see nothing and do nothing because you don’t give a damn!”

Your voice cracked, and the guards gripped you hard again, murmuring something about ‘maintaining respect’ for the King. But you could care less.

He was no king of yours.

Seokjin searched for a response. You knew he felt the passion in your anger, sense the daggers you threw his way. Never in his time had anyone spoken to him like that. Though The King wasn’t focused on your tone, but your declaration.

He scanned your face again, looking for any hint of fraudulence in your words, but finding only sincerity.

A member of the council, a tall, slender man, suddenly piped up, “Your Majesty, for her crimes alone I think she should be banished! Executed even!”

Another man nodded vigorously, “I agree Your Majesty. She should be punished for not only her crimes, but the way she has spoken to you. I propose death by hanging.”

Yet another member with greying hairs chimed in, “That’s much too quick. I think 100 lashes would do her good. Might even teach her some respect.”

The council buzzed with suggestions to torture or kill you, sometimes both. You drowned them out as you continued your unbroken eye contact with the man before you. It was a silent fight for dominance, to see who would break first, but you held strong.

“Do whatever you want to me. All I’ve done is speak truth and try to survive in this hellhole you’ve created. But apparently that’s too much for your fragile ego. Killing me will only prove your recklessness and incompetence....Your Majesty.”

“Jungkook,” he suddenly called. The guard that had been gripping your arm the hardest suddenly looked up.

“Yes, Your Majesty?”

“Will you bring Ms._______ to my private quarters?”

A thick silence overtook the room.

“Why?” you managed.

“But Your Majesty–,” one of the councilmen laughed.

“This has nothing to do with you, Councilman. No more questions, I’m done talking here.”

He walked down the stairs, disappearing out a back door. The remaining guards jogged over to follow him, leaving you behind with the one named Jungkook.

He yanked your arm to the exit, dragging you like a burden he’d rather not have.

“Would you lighten up your grip now? I’m not going anywhere.”

“You sure do talk a lot,” Jungkook said, “You don’t have much room to ask for favors, you’re still a thief.”

You had just managed to fall asleep when the heavy door creaked open.

Your eyes adjusted as a crew of dark silhouettes walked into your cell. You shot up to your feet, and the guards grabbed you for the second time that night.

“Where are you taking me?” you asked, wincing at the way their fingers dug into your arms.

“To the King,” a guard responded flatly.

“W-what? Why?” you asked, getting no response, “Answer me! What’s going on?!”

You thrashed around, kicking your legs but their grip only got tighter. You weren’t the lightest person in the world but they didn’t seem to be having a hard time dealing with you. You figured since you had already been caught, your consequence for resisting couldn’t be much worse than what they had already planned to do with you.

They remained silent, unwavered by your demands as they moved you around the gloomy dungeon halls. You were brought back outside and the strong wind took your breath away. They marched down the path and kicked opened a gate that lead to a courtyard deep within the palace. It was an area you had yet to explore, and in the darkness it was was brightened by hanging lights. If it were under different circumstances, you might think it was beautiful.

You were carried up stairs and one of the guards went over and slid the wooden door open. The barrier revealed a spacious room with high ceilings and columns that seemed to reach all the way up to the heavens. In the almost eerie dimness you noticed even more men scattered around the room, all in sleepwear and looking incredibly irritated. Though, when you came into view there was a sudden hush over the room, their eyes rounding when they took in your face.

You glanced between the group, squirming in discomfort as they stared at you. It was the same look the guards had given you, one of fear and fascination. There was a long carpet that lead straight down the middle of the room and up to a golden throne. There sat a young man in silk pyjamas. He leaned in closer in his seat to get a better look for himself.

You knew that you had seen him before. It was hard to forget someone whose face was on posters on every street corner. It didn’t really sink in until that moment when you realized you were really standing before him.

King Seokjin.

The man that had started it all. The root of all your problems, the reason for all of your suffering. The reason you had to go to such lengths to simply survive. You felt your blood begin to boil and your face fall, eyes changing to glare up at the man and his dumbfounded expression.

He continued to look you up and down, face mirroring the uncertainty he felt.

“This is her?” he asked almost timidly.

His voice was soft, not what you were expecting from the infamous ruler.

One of the guards holding you nodded, “We thought you would want to see this for yourself, Your Majesty.”

His gaze never left you, and a series of emotions crossed his face. Happiness? Disbelief? Dread?

He cleared his throat, “What is your name?” he asked in a near whisper.

“________,” you responded blandly.

“So, _______, you’re the thief that had me and my council woken up in the middle of the night. You’re the thief that dared to steal from me?”

“The one and only.”

The guards jerked your arms painfully, but you didn’t let it show on your face.

The King’s eyebrows rose, taken aback. He looked a lot younger in person. In all your years in the kingdom you had never seen him up close, only by standing on your tiptoes as you tried to look over the crowd at Kingdom meetings were you able to catch a glimpse. Word had it that he was even more handsome up close, but you couldn’t see anything past your building rage.

The longer you stared up at his face, at his carefully tousled dark hair and perfect skin, the fire within you seemed to burn more. How could someone have time to indulge in vanity when their people suffered?

He suddenly broke out into laughter, a bright noise that rang through the room. The entire mood switched, and even the men standing around watched him in confusion. He appraised you, his interest growing, “So what makes you think you could get away with stealing from me of all people? Aren’t there targets who are less...ambitious? I’d say you bit off more than you can chew, love.”

Your body tensed at the pet name, and your fist balled at your side. “I’ve gotten away with it twice already. Why not go for a third, right?”

“Twice?” he scoffed, “Impressive, I must admit.”

His lips lifted in a slow grin, elbows resting on his knees. It was obvious he was being facetious, but you wondered why he was even entertaining you at all, “How did you do it?”

“You need better security, for starters.”

“But why me?” he asked, “You must have a lot of confidence in your ability.”

“You think I do this because I want to? Because I have a passion for it? LIke its a hobby?” you tried to keep your voice even, “I chose you because I need to survive. And because of your rule I can barely put a single meal on the table.” you spit.

“I don’t understand,” he said, leaning back into his throne.

It was your turn to laugh now, a bitter sound that didn’t reach your eyes, “Y-you don’t understand? Of course you wouldn’t. Just look at where we are. Why would anyone need to live like this? How can you live with yourself? Throwing feasts when people in the kingdom are literally starving!”

His face dropped. Once an amused mask was now marred with ignorance, “No one is starving, the kingdom is thriving. I’ve seen it with my own eyes, how dare you tell me otherwise?”

“You see what you want to see. Your carriage only goes through the main plaza. When was the last time you’ve gone to the east side? The south? Visited the schools? It’s falling apart and you don’t see a thing! You don’t do a thing! You see nothing and do nothing because you don’t give a damn!”

Your voice cracked, and the guards gripped you hard again, murmuring something about ‘maintaining respect’ for the King. But you could care less.

He was no king of yours.

Seokjin searched for a response. You knew he felt the passion in your anger, sense the daggers you threw his way. Never in his time had anyone spoken to him like that. Though The King wasn’t focused on your tone, but your declaration.

He scanned your face again, looking for any hint of fraudulence in your words, but finding only sincerity.

A member of the council, a tall, slender man, suddenly piped up, “Your Majesty, for her crimes alone I think she should be banished! Executed even!”

Another man nodded vigorously, “I agree Your Majesty. She should be punished for not only her crimes, but the way she has spoken to you. I propose death by hanging.”

Yet another member with greying hairs chimed in, “That’s much too quick. I think 100 lashes would do her good. Might even teach her some respect.”

The council buzzed with suggestions to torture or kill you, sometimes both. You drowned them out as you continued your unbroken eye contact with the man before you. It was a silent fight for dominance, to see who would break first, but you held strong.

“Do whatever you want to me. All I’ve done is speak truth and try to survive in this hellhole you’ve created. But apparently that’s too much for your fragile ego. Killing me will only prove your recklessness and incompetence....Your Majesty.”

“Jungkook,” he suddenly called. The guard that had been gripping your arm the hardest suddenly looked up.

“Yes, Your Majesty?”

“Will you bring Ms._______ to my private quarters?”

A thick silence overtook the room.

“Why?” you managed.

“But Your Majesty–,” one of the councilmen laughed.

“This has nothing to do with you, Councilman. No more questions, I’m done talking here.”

He walked down the stairs, disappearing out a back door. The remaining guards jogged over to follow him, leaving you behind with the one named Jungkook.

He yanked your arm to the exit, dragging you like a burden he’d rather not have.

“Would you lighten up your grip now? I’m not going anywhere.”

“You sure do talk a lot,” Jungkook said, “You don’t have much room to ask for favors, you’re still a thief.”

“Okay but I still want to have feeling in my arm after this is over, thank you,” you rolled your eyes, “But why does he want me to come to his...quarters?”

“You’re just as clueless as we are,” Jungkook said, “Now stop asking so many questions.”

“Stop asking so many questions,” you mocked, making him send you a death glare and jerk on you even harder.

You were brought out of the courtyard and into the palace once again, through the corridors and within the confines of the walls. The deeper you went the more intricate the decor became. You knew it would take days to notice every piece of art and detail surrounding you. Suddenly you both turned down a hall before stopping in front of a set of grand, lonely double doors.

Jungkook moved it open and pushed you inside, “Here we are.”

The room was just as vast as you had imagined, but for some reason it still took you by surprise. It was sickening, disgusting even to believe that someone lived this luxuriously on a daily basis. The entire space seemed to be covered in red and gold accents, every surface so pristine it looked untouched.

“No one needs all of this,” you thought aloud. You felt like you were betraying your community by even being here, “This is disgusting.”

“No one made you come to the palace. Your complaints are invalid.”

“So I can’t express how revolting this place is? You don’t know what it’s like out there when you get to live in a place like this.”

“You think I don’t know what it’s like out there?” he asked, chuckling without humor.

“Well do you?”

“You’re so lucky you look like her,” he answered, regarding you scornfully.

Before you could ask, you noticed the the King and the other guards standing in the doorway.

Jungkook stood up straight, bowing when he entered the room.

“Thank you. You can stand outside the door while I talk to Ms. _______.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Jungkook replied, going to throw you one more look before shaking his head and closing the door behind him.

Seokjin walked past you, the bottoms of his silk pants gliding against the floor. You took in his frame from behind. His shoulders were especially wide, and he made long, slow strides as he strolled around the space.

He moved past his bed, an enormous gold-plated mass of red satin sheets and pillows peeking through a thin canopy. It looked much too big for one person to lay in at night, too cold and void to be comfortable.

The man sat down at a table.

“Come sit,” he said, waving you over with an inviting smile. The bravado was gone. Through the nice front, you could see the caution.

You walked over slowly, sitting in the chair across from him. Your arms were crossed at your chest, watching his every movement.

He poured two cups of tea, pushing one your way. He saw you stare down at the cup blankly, “Drink it.”

“No.”

“No?”

“Yes.”

“So you will drink it?”

“No. Yes meaning you’re right, no I won’t drink it.”

“But I’m telling you to.”

“And?”

“And?”

“No, is still no.”

“Drink the tea, I’m offering it to you.”

“I said no.”

“Hey! This is the best tea in the entire country! It was made from a rare herb found in China before we were even a thought and I’m here as The King giving it to you to be a courteous host so you need to sit there and drink it!”

Your eyebrows shot up. The room was silent, and he took a deep breath, ears turning red as the outburst simmered.

“Please?

The tantrum made you remember how young he actually was.

You unfolded your arms to reach for the cup, bringing it to your lips slowly. It coated your throat and you almost moaned, but you refused to show him you enjoyed it.

“And besides…when will you get the chance to drink tea with a man this handsome ever again?” he asked, framing his face with his free hand.

You snorted, “Conceited are we?”

“Not conceited, just confident,” he smiled.

The room was enveloped in awkward silence as you looked around the room to avoid The King’s pointed gaze.

“I’m honestly curious...what did you steal the last two times?”

“Just some silverware and plates,” you responded nonchalantly.

“That was you?” he asked, “I likely owe the palace workers I fired an apology, then.”

“You fired workers over that?!”

“Of course! I asked who did it and no one wanted to admit to it, so I was forced to fire the entire kitchen staff. It was only fair. Though, I feel bad now actually,” he said, “You should too!”

“I do, but it was a last resort. I wouldn’t have had to steal anything if you were doing a good job,” you said taking another sip.

He put his tongue in his cheek, “Tell me about yourself.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Do you have family? Hobbies? I don’t know, what do people normally talk about? Converse with me.”

“I’d rather not.”

“Why are you making this so hard?”

You shrugged, cleaning your nails.

“Do you lack basic communication skills? Talk to me.”

“Do you lack basic human decency and the ability to rule a kingdom? The correct answer is yes.”

His hands tightened around the cup and closed his eyes, “Please. Please just humor me.”

He had never been one to beg. It was obvious how hard it was for him to do it then, and you took enjoyment in seeing the man who had everything need something from you. But he was insistent, and his desperation for your cooperation almost made you feel bad.

Almost.

“I live alone in a one room house on the east side of the kingdom. Both of my parents died during the war…my dad was a soldier and my mom was a nurse, so it’s just me now.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. I know what it’s like to have a parent that’s not in the picture anymore,“ everyone knew that his father, the last late king, had also fallen victim to the war. The kingdom had mourned for months on end, “I only became the king when I was 15 because I was the next in line, and my brother Taehyung was too young to even know what was going on.”

You knew he was trying to establish some kind of connection with you, as if he could possibly relate to your life. Sure he had his share of pain, but being coddled and spoiled from birth with the notion that you would be set for life, he didn’t see your struggle. How could he when he lived in a place like this?

“What do you do now to support yourself?” he asked softly.

“I work in a market trying to sell pottery to people that can barely afford food,” you say, “and steal from you of course.”

“Of course,” he rolled his eyes, “You know, if you had only gone a few doors down you would have found an even bigger room of jewels. The more you know, I guess.”

As you judged him, you couldn’t help but wonder why he was speaking with you so casually, as if you didn’t just attempt to steal a fortune from under his perfect nose.

“Why are you doing this?” you asked, “Why are you taking the time to talk to me after what I just did?”

You had already admitted to all of your crimes- the formalities were unusual. It felt like you were being teased and something about it was strangely cruel. You would rather he got it over with, kill you now like a man if that’s what he was going to do.

He was quiet for a moment, looking down at his cup as he thumbed over the porcelain. You wondered if he even planned on answering when he finally spoke, “You seem like a girl who appreciates honesty, so I hope the truth won’t offend you. But,” he began, “its because you remind me of someone. You remind me of...her.”

You wished you knew who this infamous “her” was that everyone spoke of. He said it like it should be obvious, and you urged him to clarify with a look. He gave a small smile, “My late wife, Queen Kim.”

“Oh…”

“Well, remind is putting it lightly. You’re identical.”

You remembered when the Queen had passed a few years ago. The entire kingdom shut down after her death. She had an enormous presence in the communities, and when she died everything went to hell. Memories of her were cast to the very back of your mind, as you had almost forgotten what it was like to live life so easily.

“She handled almost everything in the kingdom. The schools, the neighborhoods, the economy…it was amazing. I was just the face,” he admitted, “After she was gone I didn’t really have the will to do much else. I let the council take over and deal with what she left behind, but now I’m seeing that might have been a mistake. They even arranged my visits to the kingdom,” he laughed in disbelief, everything making sense to him now, “God, I’m so stupid.”

His complete trust in the council had been his worst mistake.

He didn’t know why he felt comfortable enough to open up to you like that. If you had been anyone else, you wouldn’t have gotten a word out of him, but just seeing your face made him want to speak his mind in ways he hadn’t had the chance to in years.

Since she had been there.

“It’s impossible…for me to look like her is impossible,” you managed.

“I thought so too until I saw you,” he suddenly stood up, walking towards a dresser, “Follow me.”

You got up, watching him as he tugged open a drawer and pulled out a canvas. He unveiled it with unhurried care, revealing a portrait with vibrant colors.

It felt like you were looking into a mirror, and your hairs stood on end as goosebumps ravaged your body. Everything from the face shape, to the arch in your brows, to your upturned eyes, to the curl of your hair, the image was nearly identical. The only difference lay in the luxury- the jewels around and the threads on her body. A stark contrast to your ill-fitting clothes. Seokjin looked down at the painting with a level of adoration you had never seen. And when he turned to you, the look was still there.

“This is her?” you asked. You had only seen the queen on a few occasions, all too far to get a good enough eyeful. Though you had never thought you looked alike before, apparently ageing had done a number on you in a few years.

Seokjin nodded, “She was the most stunning woman I’ve ever laid eyes on...and I had the honor of calling her mine. When she came to the palace for courting I knew I had to have her.”

The possession in his words didn’t sit well with you, but you remembered that royals picked spouses like fruit in a market. It was never for personality or love, but he seemed to really care for the girl, and that itself was rare.

“How did she die?” you asked carefully.

“She had some kind of liver disease, I believe. To this day, I never got proper answers. I called in doctors from every corner of the world but no one knew what to do. She didn’t suffer long though…the span between when we found out and when she passed on was exactly one week.”

Though you had lost loved-ones, it was a quick process. There one second gone the next without warning. In his case, Seokjin had one week to pray, say goodbyes, and mull over the idea that she might not be there when he woke up through the hope.

You didn’t know which was worse.

No one ever told the kingdom that the Queen was dying, or that she was even sick. One day she was just gone.

Seokjin took a deep breath, and from the gloss in his eyes it was evident he was holding back tears. He scanned your face, “You two are the same physically, except you’re a lot more…crass. That’s me being polite, by the way.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“When I saw you walk through those doors I felt like I was seeing her all over again. The guards wouldn’t wake me or the council for something as small as a burglary, so when they said the thief was her I knew I had to see it for myself.”

The sun was rising now, and the room was washed in an orange light. You remained quiet as you watched the internal battle on his face, his features illuminated by the morning glow.

“The truth is, I brought you back here to get an understanding of you before I decided if what I’m about to do is as foolish as it feels,” he said slowly.

“Well, what are you about to do?” you asked, a near whisper.

“Do you feel like you have an idea of the issues the kingdom faces?”

“Yes…”

“Do you care about the people?”

“…Absolutely”

“Do you want a better life? A more fulfilled life?”

You answered the last question slowly, confused “Of course–”

He grabbed your hands in his, ”Then be my queen.”

Your jaw went slack. You sputtered waiting for him to reveal the punchline but once again, he was serious.

“Stop.” you said, snatching your hands back.

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve brought me here to humiliate me. You’ve been toying with me for hours. Do you do this to all your prisoners? Treat them to tea and a marriage proposal? I knew you were despicable but not sadistic. Just kill me and get it over with. Stop the joke, you’re not as funny as you believe.”

He took a step closer, “I wouldn’t joke about something like this. I’m not a cruel man- I’m serious. I want you to marry me.”

You were getting angrier, “You’re crazy. You’re actually crazy. What are you even talking about? I couldn’t. Are you seriou-no! No, I can’t. No!”

He reeled back, grabbing the dresser for balance like your words had just struck him.

“W-w-why not?!” he stuttered.

“I just met you! How am I supposed to agree to marry someone I just met for the first time?!”

“That’s how it works!”

“Not for me!”

“Do you know how many girls would kill to be in your position right now?!”

“Yes! I’m well aware but I can’t do it. I’m sorry, I’m flattered, I truly am, but I just can’t.”

His expression was crestfallen, the confusion he felt palpable, “I’ve never been rejected before.”

“First time for everything, right?” you laughed nervously.

“Well...I can’t just let you go.”

“What do you mean you can’t let me go?”

“You tried to steal from me and you’ve admitted to doing it multiple times. And on top of everything you’ve spoken out of turn,” he said, “So now I’m forced to give you an ultimatum.”

“Ultimatum?” you said the word slowly, tasting the unease it held as it left your mouth. He shrugged, as if what he was about to say was just so reasonable.

“Marry me or face execution.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________