Final

Your Scent

“Everyone!! Please give a warm applause to Lee Jinki, Kibum's best friend and also his best man who will be performing a self-written piece next”
 

Jonghyun was smiling, gesturing Jinki to come to the front. “I’m going to be the one on piano guys, so excuse me for a while". Jonghyun made himself comfortable seating himself at the white grand piano on the side while Jinki stood in the center wearing a pair of blue jeans and a crisp white shirt, holding on to the mike.

 

Kibum was getting married next week and his close friends arranged a bachelor’s party for him on a cruise. It was a small group of nine people, mostly Kibum's and Jinki's mutual friends. Jonghyun was Jinki's cousin and also a good friend of Kibum who was the self-appointed emcee of the event. The song was a gift from Jinki to Kibum, something that he had been working on for months. Kibum was seated right at the front- his face serene, with his pretty younger cousin Taemin sitting next to him. Jinki noticed the light beams that fell on Kibum's face and how they reflected back, making his face glow.

 

There was an eerie silence right before Jonghyun started off with his first key on the piano. Jink started off by softly humming along with the tune.

 

"Your scent blows in the cold wind

Scatters past my head

If I silently close my eyes I can recall you

You’re coming back to me..

 

You flutter by every street

Tears keep falling because the memories are alive

Forgetting you is still so hard

I miss you and miss you"

 

Jinki 's warm voice started to serenade crowd. It was no secret that Jinki’s voice was like a cup of hot chocolate in a cold winter night. It felt like he was pouring in every emotion on to the song, immersed in too deep and drowning himself in sadness.

 

"The feelings rise up again

Without holding back I try calling you

 

Remember, the two of us in front of your house

I go to you again

 

You flutter by every street

Tears keep falling because the memories are alive

Forgetting you is still so hard

I miss you and miss you"

 

A tear ran across his cheeks like a little raindrop. Jinki was crying, but he held his composure until the end.

 

"I guess these feelings are pointless

Why am I here again when I know it will be hard on you?

 

I erase you from every street

You said I have to forget that love is a memory

It’s still hard to forget you

I can’t do it I can’t do it"

 

Jinki’s eyes scanned for Kibum just as soon as he finished the song, but he only saw him leaving the hall in a hurry.

Noticing this, Jonghyun came over and gave him a warm rub on his back. “I think I messed up Jjong" Jinki sighed.

 

The rest of the group seemed oblivious to what was happening as they clapped at  Jinki's breath taking performance. He left to his cabin right after the performance and Jonghyun stayed back to say some words to the group before officially ending the event. Everyone then headed over for the dinner buffet that was served next door.

 

Jonghyun walked over to the upper deck after a quick dinner, leaning against the ship's railing feeling the gentle sea breeze swiping across his face." Hey there" Jonghyun turned around to see that it was Kibum's cousin Taemin.  "Hey yourself" Jonghyun smiled fondly at the younger boy. "So, how does it feel like to be Jinki hyung's cousin?" He asked Jonghyun with a twinkle in his eyes. " Well, if I could describe it in a word maybe " frustrating?" they both laughed in unison at Jonghyun's reply. " I can relate to that so much hyung" Taemin let out a small sigh. “They are both idiots aren't they?" Jonghyun nodded knowingly. “I teared up when Jinki hyung sang earlier, his lyrics were so painful to listen to. It was kind of obvious what it was about- knowing them both for so long" Taemin said, staring at the ocean sadly. Jonghyun hummed in response "What's meant to be will always happen, no matter what, right Taemin ah?” ." Kibum hyung locked himself up in his cabin and didn't even come out for dinner" The younger stated sadly. “Yeah? I honestly don't understand the two of them" Jonghyun sighed for the fifth time “Well, let's stop moping and get ourselves a drink, shall we?" Jonghyun was trying to cheer up the troubled younger boy because he knew that the both of them needed it.

 

Jinki was a light sleeper, and he woke up hearing the soft knock on his cabin door. He checked the wall clock for the time and it was past midnight and he was wondering if Jonghyun forgot his cabin keys again. But when he opened the door, he was surprised to see Kibum there looking slightly flushed from alcohol. “Hey princess, what are you doing here?" Kibum didn't say anything and just walked in to the room, removing his jacket and placing it on the small sofa chair beside the bed." Hyung, please don't ask anything. Just... just let me be with you for today". Jinki didn't say a word and knowingly went back to bed, making space for the younger boy beside him. Kibum shifted himself and snuggled himself next to Jinki, burying his head in the elder’s chest.  Jinki secured his arms around Kibum’s body. Hearing the muffled sobs coming from the boy in his arms, he held him even tighter-not being able to control his own tears from escaping. He placed a kiss on Kibum's crown softly after his sobs subsided and his breathing evened out. Jinki fell asleep inhaling the sweet strawberry scent lingering from the boy that he was so familiar with.

 

The next day when Jinki woke up, Kibum had already left the cabin and they were only a few hours away from arriving home. Jinki washed up quickly and headed up for breakfast and he spotted Kibum , Jonghyun and Taemin already having breakfast together. “Took you long enough, sleepy head" Jonghyun yelled at him and he responded to him by childishly sticking his tongue out making the three boys sharing the table giggle. “For my princess" Jinki said while placing a slice of strawberry shortcake in front of Kibum. “Always special treatment ugh" Jonghyun rolled his eyes at Jinki gaining a smack on his arm from him. Taemin and Jonghyun noticed the slight tint of pink on Kibum's cheek and both boys smiled at each other knowingly. After their breakfast, Taemin and Jonghyun headed over to join a table with a mutual friend leaving the two best friends by themselves. “Want to catch the breeze one last time?" Jinki asked Kibum playfully to which Kibum nodded with a smile, taking the hand that Jinki held for him. The two boys were standing near the railing at the upper deck, feeling the fresh sea breeze on their faces.     " hyung, remember that time when you said that you will marry me when we grow up?" Kibum asked Jinki while staring deeply at the chocolate brown orbs in front of him. Jinki hummed while breaking the eye contact. " I thought you didn't remember " Jinki smiled softly, still staring at the deep blue ocean in front of them. " you and I both broke that promise" Kibum replied so softly, it was almost inaudible against the loud see waves crashing against the ship. Jinki didn't say anything but gently pulled the smaller by closer by tugging at his waist. Kibum leaned his head on Jinki's shoulder just like the million times that they had done before.

 

" It's frustrating looking at them to be honest. They are so dense. So stupid and they are both cowards" Jonghyun said while staring at the two's silhouette's from a distance. Taemin sighed loudly. " Kibum hyung cried a lot that night after the song, If love is this complicated, I don't want to be in love". Jonghyun perked his head when he heard the word " love".

 " Taemin, what do you mean? is Kibum aware that he is actually in love with Jinki? I mean.. he's getting married to someone else in a week?" Jonghyun looked pretty confused. “Let’s go downstairs and talk Jonghyun hyung, we still have a couple of hours more" Taemin led the way to the restaurant downstairs so that the two boys could grab a drink while having their conversation.

 

" So you are telling me that Kibum has never been in love with anyone else than Jinki all this while? Then why the hell was he dating others and now getting married to someone else too? I'm sorry but does he have a rock for his brain?" Jonghyun earned a smack on his hand by a feisty looking Taemin, and he thought that the younger looked absolutely adorable." Yah, then what about Jinki hyung, he seemed to be equally stupid for not doing anything for like two decades of having Kibum hyung in his life?". Jonghyun's face turned to a smirk. “Well, I'm not denying am I? My cousin has a rock for his brain too, I mean they literally belong with each other”.

 

They both ended up giggling together while sipping their cocktails. "Kibum hyung, he just didn't want to risk their friendship. He always thought that a rejection would destroy what they had and he never took the leap. I think he's marrying CJ out of pure confusion. He treats him well, splurges on him and makes him feel good.. I guess, he's just choosing someone who loves him, instead of the person that he loves." Taemin sighed while continuing stirring his drink and Jonghyun was listening to every detail carefully. " I guess, when Jinki hyung poured out his feelings in that song, he knew. But it's kind of too late now isn't it?”. Jonghyun hummed in agreement while staring at the ocean facing them, not knowing the answers to the problem on hand. And Jinki hyung always thought that what they had was platonic because Kibum always dated other people, and he didn't want to risk confessing either. Singing that song, I think it was literally leaving his heart out on a platter for Kibum. There's nothing much we can do, unless the two of them can think of a way out. Everything's set in stone now, the wedding is happening in less than a week" Jonghyun chimed in. They both finished their drinks shortly after, heading to their cabins to prepare their luggage.

 

Jinki and his fingers entwined with Kibum's until the end of the journey, but seeing that CJ was there to welcome Kibum back from the cruise he immediately let go of Kibum. The younger responded by looking at him confused, but when his fiancé called out his name, he knew why. “Welcome back baby" he hugged the petite boy and twirled him in his arms, welcoming him with a kiss. Jinki watched the scene unfolding in front of him bitterly.           " Thanks guys, for bringing my baby home safe and happy" He was smiling at Jinki, Jonghyun and Taemin- shaking their hands one after another. " I.. I guess it's goodbye for a while then" Kibum said while hugging Jonghyun and Taemin. Kibum leaned forward to hug Jinki, a little slower, a little tighter. He saw that Jinki's eyes were as glassy as his own, and feeling a little brave even though his fiancé was watching, he tip toed to place a kiss on Jinki’s cheek. “Thank you, for everything hyung" he said softly as he left to bid farewell to the other friends on the cruise.

 

A day later Taemin was in a coffe shop downtown, waiting for Jonghyun. "So, what's the occasion baby?" Taemin blushed at the way the elder addressed him. Taemin had called Jonghyun over for coffee to discuss the current situation with Kibum. “Something happened yesterday hyung. Kibum hyung fought with CJ hyung, and guess what? It was over Jinki hyung" Jonghyun was confused because he was pretty sure that Jinki hasn’t been in touch with Kibum since the cruise three days ago. "What do you mean? Jinki hyung has been cooped up in his room wallowing in his depression for almost three days now, I'm pretty sure he didn't make any move".

 

/ Flashback/

 

" Babe you have been pretty distant since the cruise, what's going on?" After three days of noticing the changes in Kibum, CJ decided to confront him. “I’m so sorry, I've just got some things on my mind" Kibum replied softly. “Does this have anything to do with that guy, Lee Jinki?, I mean the way he calls you princess all the time creeps me out". He was smirking and Kibum was feeling extremely uncomfortable from the topic that they were currently on. “It’s something he used to call me since we were kids CJ, and it's not creepy. But if that makes you uncomfortable, I'll ask him to stop calling me that okay?” CJ let out a laugh “Well to me it is, a grown man calling another grown man a princess. Anyways, you belong to me now so he has no reason to call you that anyway" CJ said while sporting a cocky expression that Kibum certainly didn't like. “I don't belong to anyone CJ" Kibum replied curtly, to which CJ laughed back pulling Kibum forward for a forced Kiss. Kibum turned rigid as his fiancé tried to coax him to open up to his kiss. Seeing Kibum's response, He just got angrier and with the same force that he pulled Kibum forward, he pushed him back towards the wall- knocking the brunette's head on it roughly. “That’s for not kissing me back" He smirked while closing the door of their shared apartment behind him, leaving Kibum emotionally and physically hurt. Kibum knew that he needed some comfort and headed over to his cousin Taemin's apartment, two blocks down the road. The younger held his hyung closely while nursing Kibum until he fell asleep. That's when Taemin realised that he needed help, and he needed advise. He didn't hesitate to message Jinki's cousin Jonghyun, asking him if he could meet up for coffee on the following day.

 

“You are telling me that this guy is abusive?" Jonghyun questioned while trying his best to digest the new information coming from Taemin. “Well, for starters he's never hurt him physically before as far as I know. Unless Kibum hyung is not telling me everything" Taemin replied. " Jinki would have killed that bastard if he knew he hurt Kibum. He really treats Kibum like some royalty " Taemin nodded in agreement. " Kibum hyung already went back to his apartment this morning because CJ apologised. But he's just not happy, I can see that there's no life in his eyes anymore hyung". Jonghyun saw that there were tears building up in Taemin's eyes , and he reached out to hold the younger boy's hand. " I suppose that there's nothing much that we can do since this is what Kibum chose after all, Taemin. I can talk to Jinki, but I doubt that he would make a move, especially when Kibum decided to still go back to CJ". Taemin was staring at his coffee, in deep thought until he spoke. “What would you have done if you were them, hyung?" Taemin was genuinely curious about Jonghyun’s answer. “I’d be selfish, I would have convinced Kibum to leave that guy and spend the rest of his life with me. I won't go down without a fight" Jonghyun smiled. “We are two days away from the wedding Taemin-ah, I don't think we can do anything for them anymore" It hurt Jonghyun to see Taemin's face falling in disappointment, but he knew that he shouldn't give him any hope." Hyung, we might go to hell for this but there might be just one thing" Jonghyun noticed that Taemin had an evil twinkle in his eyes.

 

- The following day-

 

" Kibum, I just don't know how to say this but Jinki was in an accident and I think you should come over right now" As soon as Kibum heard the words he lost the grip he had on his coffee mug and it shattered on the floor. " W..what. ?? Where? What are you talking about Jonghyun??" Kibum didn't even know that tears were pooling in his eyes, desperate for answers." Come over to Seoul hospital now, Taemin will be there to pick you up". Kibum rushed downstairs without even checking what he was wearing while waiting for Taemin. He was shaking and his heart beating violently in his chest. He was taking deep breaths to stop the suffocating feeling in his chest when he saw Taemin's Range Rover pulling in.

 

Kibum quickly got in to the car and Taemin drove off to the hospital. " Taemin ah, my Jinki hyung.. my Jinki hyung" Kibum was now shaking while crying." I'm so worried.... he will be okay right? Jonghyun sounded so serious, what happened to my hyung??". Taemin's heart was breaking for the crying boy beside him. He reached out one of his hands to hold his cousin's shaking hand. “Everything will be fine hyung, please calm down. It won't be as bad as you think. He will really be fine" Taemin was gently coaxing the boy to calm down on their 20 minute drive to the hospital.

 

Once they reached the hospital, Taemin asked Kibum to go to the third floor and look for Jonghyun. Without a thought, Kibum ran upstairs as fast as his feet could carry him to the third floor looking for Jonghyun but he didn't see anyone that looked like him at the corridor. He was frantically running around trying to look around the ward when he heard a familiar voice calling him. " Bummie? What are you doing here?” Kibum turned around to see Jinki, looking absolutely fine walking towards him. Kibum didn't think twice before he launched himself in to Jinki's arms crying. “Princess what's wrong?? Tell me what happened baby, why are you crying? " Jinki was startled by the sudden act and confused about everything. But he tightly held on to the crying boy in his arms. “You.. you are okay.. you are not hurt?" Kibum talked in between loud sobs. " Of course I am, why would I be hurt ? shhh... please don't cry and tell me what’s wrong Bummie, you know how much I hate seeing your tears" Jinki gently wiped the tears off Kibum's cheeks and gestured him to sit on a chair next to him.

 

" Jonghyun hyung... he told me that ..You were hurt, and I was scared.. I was so scared hyung" Jinki Kibum's back gently while listening to him carefully not understanding why Jonghyun would lie to Kibum. Kibum moved from his chair, settled himself on Jinki's lap while snaking his arms around the elder's neck hugging him with all his might and feeling Jinki's heartbeat against his own." That feeling that I might lose you is something I never want to feel, I don't think I want to live in a world without you, hyung" Kibum spoke softly, his voice breaking, through his tears. “Princess, you are my other half. I don't think I could live without you either. That feeling… of not having you beside me like you used to, and you belonging to someone else soon is killing me every day. It's so hard for me too". Tears that he fought back to hold were pouring down Jinki’s eyes now. He never directly talked to Kibum about his feelings but for the first time, he felt so vulnerable and exposed holding the one person that fit so perfectly in his arms. “I’m sorry'’ Kibum said facing him while gently placing kisses along Jinki's jawline “I’m so sorry hyung".

 

“Why do I have a feeling that this is still not going to work” Jonghyun was leaning against the staircase door frame with Taemin , watching the couple from far. “Don’t tell me we literally risked going to hell for nothing hyung, this has to work” Taemin was pouting unhappily. Jonghyun couldn’t resist pinching the younger boy’s cheek while getting smacked on his arm in response. “ I can’t believe that the two people we have to work with are the biggest es in the country, Taemin” Jonghyun’s eyebrows were now furrowed in deep thought. “The wedding is tomorrow hyung, we have literally tried everything. The only thing left to do is to kidnap CJ but I doubt that it’s gonna end in a good way” Taemin looked so serious that Jonghyun laughed softly. “ Taemin ah, we have already done the most extreme, I am not going to get involved in a kidnapping too” Jonghyun’s his eyes were twinkling , looking at the pouting younger boy.

 

Jinki drove Kibum to his apartment because they were not able to locate Taemin anywhere after the incident. He hugged Kibum tightly in his arms and then walked him to his apartment door. But they were both surprised to see that CJ was already at the door, looking at Kibum with an expression that Jinki couldn’t quite read. 

 

“Oh there you are. I’ve been trying to get hold of you for the past hour and you were with him?” CJ asked while raising an eyebrow. “Sorry babe there was a situation and I had to leave, and I forgot to bring my phone along.” CJ let out a sarcastic laugh. “Oh and you, well aren’t you shameless enough to hang around my fiancé just a day before our wedding??  It’s so obvious what you are after but just in case that you didn’t get the memo, he chose me over you” Jinki was at a loss for words when Kibum spoke up. “CJ, Jinki hyung is my best friend and no one is allowed to talk him like that”. Jinki saw that a flicker of anger that flashed across CJ’s eyes and he knew that he had to leave before things got worse. Just when he was about to turn around, he saw CJ pulling Kibum towards himself aggressively and he heard Kibum yelping in pain. Jinki curled his fists in anger but he looked at Kibum’s eyes that told him to just let it go.

 

Since leaving Kibum at the apartment with CJ, Jinki’s heart was not at ease. He couldn’t comprehend the fact that someone could hurt someone as precious as Kibum. Not knowing what to do, he drove to Jonghyun’s place seeking for answers. As soon as he told Jonghyun what had just happened, Jonghyun also spilled what Taemin told him earlier about their fight two days ago. Jinki knew that he couldn’t leave Kibum to someone like CJ who will hurt him physically and mentally for the rest of his life.  He knew that he had to at least talk to Kibum. “ Hyung, I’ll ask Taemin to buy some time for you , so that he can come and meet you for a cup of coffee” Jonghyun suggested while reaching for his hand “Don’t worry, everything will fall in to place, hyung”.

 

Kibum was surprised to see Jinki at the coffee shop gesturing him to sit next to him. Taemin had called him up saying that he had something urgent to discuss, so he thought that it was Taemin that he was going to have coffee with.

“Hey princess” Jinki smiled at Kibum watching him closely.  Kibum sat opposite Jinki replying him with a soft “hey” back.  Jinki reached out for Kibum’s hand and Kibum placed his hand in his. Jinki’s thumb grazed across the bruise from earlier, his heart aching for the boy across him. “Bum ah,  I don’t know if what you are doing is okay. I would support you 100% if it’s the right thing, but I can never approve of someone who hurt you” Jinki continued to talk while looking down at their hands. “ I’ve never wanted to punch someone so hard like I did today. I held it in for you but I just can’t just let this go princess. I can’t entrust you to him anymore”. Jinki ‘s face was sullen and  he looked deeply in to Kibum’s glassy eyes. He noticed that Kibum’s hands were now shaking. “ I don’t know what to do hyung, It’s tomorrow. I can’t just run away now” Jinki knew that he couldn’t continue talking here in public so he gently gestured Kibum to walk over to Taemin’s place which was a five minute walk from the café.

Taemin was more than happy to let them borrow his apartment and he insisted that he would go out for coffee until they were both done.  After Taemin left, Jinki held Kibum’s hand and led him to the sofa where they both sat leaning on each other while still not letting go of their hands. “ Bummie tell me, do you love him?” Jinki asked him, genuinely curious about the reason why Kibum was getting married to someone like CJ.” No I ..I don’t think so..no” Kibum said without much thought, making the elder more confused.” Then why?” Jinki’s chocolate brown orbs were looking deep in to Kibum’s searching for answers. “ He treated me well before and he said that he loved me, and I thought that was enough. And.. I didn’t know.. I didn’t know if the person that I’ve loved all my life loved me back” tears were flowing down Kibum’s cheeks and Jinki scooped the crying boy in his arms, wiping away his tears one by one. “ Is  that person here in this room? Is it the same coward that promised that you could be his wife when you were four?” Jinki lifted Kibum’s chin so that they could lock eyes.  “Yes” Kibum replied softly with a slight pink blush dusting his cheeks. “What if this person loves you back as much or more, wants to get married to you, to adopt two kids and a puppy with you and live together with you until you both grow old and wrinkly? Or is it too late now princess?”Jinki’s hopeful eyes watched Kibum’s eyes looked back at his own with something he couldn’t read.

“Kiss me, hyung” was all Kibum said in response. Jinki didn’t hesitate a second to lean forward and capture the pink plush lips that he had always imagined kissing. It was slow and sweet and gentle, just like the love they shared. When they broke apart, Kibum placed a trail of kisses along Jinki’s exposed collarbone and his neck and Jinki felt like every touch was like electricity on his skin. Jinki caught Kibum’s unsuspecting lips again, this time deepening their kiss and tasting every inch of Kibum’s warm cavern. They only stopped kissing when their lungs needed oxygen. Jinki looked in to Kibum’s eyes and they were twinkling, and they were the most alive that he had seen them in a while. Kibum smiled back him with Jinki’s favourite little dimple making an appearance and he kissed his cheek again. “I can’t stop kissing you, you are like a drug Bummie” Jinki smiled back at his princess, his eyes turning in to beautiful crescents earning a blush from the petite boy in his arms.

 

The two grooms took their vows, followed by a sweet kiss and a tear or two running down on their cheeks. Everyone cheered loudly for the two newlyweds at the chapel. It was Kibum’s turn to throw his flower bouquet to the crowd behind him and it was caught by no one other than his pretty little cousin and best man Taemin. The other slightly shorter, but handsome best man who also happened to be Jinki’s cousin Jonghyun -whispered something in the boy’s ear that made him visibly flushed.” Since you are the next in line to get married, we would have to start dating soon” Jonghyun left the flustered boy behind with a cheeky grin.

“Say princess, how does it feel like to be married?” Jinki and Kibum both had a long day and were finally at Jinki’s apartment sharing their first night together. “Married to you?” he smiled, looking back lovingly at his husband.” It feels so right, and surreal”. Jinki flushed himself around Kibum’s frame, hugging him tight. “ I still remember how mad you were when Luna kissed me” Kibum giggled in response.” I was young but I was always territorial, your lips were mine. For your info, I’m still mad that she stole your first kiss” Kibum said playfully while Jinki was humming and placing kisses along his nape softly. “You know, the song I sang for you on the cruise.. It’s called “Your scent”. I wrote it when you first told me that you accepted his proposal. It was a song I wrote I started off writing with the feeling that I should let you go, but towards the end I knew I couldn’t ever” Kibum turned around to face Jinki, his cheek.

 “ I know…I felt every word, every chord, every emotion hyung… that’s when I knew that our feelings were mutual. I came to you that night because I wanted you to know somehow that my heart was always yours too” Kibum smiled tenderly through his tears, looking at his handsome husband, feeling surreal.” We should thank those two brats” they both giggled. “You know, I am 98% sure that the two of them have something going on together. Taemin was blushing like a beetroot earlier when Jonghyun whispered something in his ear.” Kibum said matter of factly and Jinki hummed in response. “I’m sure they will end up together. If there’s love, there’s always a way” Jinki said while softly kissing his pretty husband’s rose bud lips again. “ I love you , princess” Jinki placed his lips softly on Kibum’s wedding band, in a silent promise to love him forever. “I love you more, baby” Kibum attacked the elder’s lips eagerly this time, deepening the kiss. “You kept your promise, hyung “ Jinki was humming and smiling through the kiss, content with his happy ending.