Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning

            Early mornings are pleasant; even in a busy city such as Seoul, mornings are pleasant and serene. For Haseul, mornings are a window of simple opportunities from being the first in the bathroom, to seeing the soft (and messy) sleeping faces of her fellow members as she leaves the room, and first to the kitchen (especially the kitchen for the sake of Chaewon and Yeojin). 

 

She quietly walks in and pulls out the jar of coffee beans from the shelf and plugs in the coffee machine. She starts brewing some coffee for the girls and for herself. She yawns while pulling out her own mug from the cupboards. It was a bit chilly in the kitchen since it was around six o’clock in the morning and the window is open, letting in the cool morning breeze that made her feel a bit of chill.

She walks around the kitchen, thinking of making pancakes for everyone; and by everyone, she means the remaining six girls that stayed in the dorm. It’s a Sunday, and the company had given them a short vacation for the time being. Sooyoung, Jiwoo and Jinsol went back to their respective  hometowns and Yeojin went back home to spend a bit of time with her family as well. The rest of the girls are sleeping in and are planning to stay in the dorm for a while. 

 

She tried her best to not make and clattering of pans and bowls as she prepares the readies the ingredients. She places them on the kitchen counter, quietly.  She goes back to the coffee she was making, the pot of coffee half filled. She pulls it out of the machine and pours herself a mug full before sliding it back.

 

Haseul loves mornings like this. Chilly, but with something warm for her to feel. It was and is a wholesome experience. As she stirs her coffee with a spoon after adding creamer and sugar, she hears the sound of slippers shuffling into the kitchen.

 

“Morning…” Kahei murmurs sleepily as she rubs the sleep off of her eye with her long sleeves.

“Hey, good morning.” Haseul says softly as she took a glance at Kahei.

 

Kahei’s hair was messy, and her face a little puffed from sleep. Cute is all Haseul could think of. Haseul reaches back into the cupboard to grab a pastel pink mug and starts making coffee for Kahei.

 

Haseul feels Kahei’s body press against her back, making her blush but with a soft smile. Kahei presses her cheek against Haseul’s back and snuggles a little; her arms wrap around Haseul’s waist and gave it a light squeeze of a hug.

 

“You do know you can go back to bed, right?” Haseul chuckles as she pours a tablespoon and a half of sugar into the coffee.

Kahei could only nuzzle her face on Haseul’s back and whines.

“Isn’t it a little too early for you to be this cute?” Haseul jokes only for Kahei to rest her chin on Haseul’s shoulders, pouting with a faint pink tint on her cheeks. Haseul could only chuckle. The girl behind her points at the pink mug filled with coffe.

 

“3 scoops.” She mumbles. Haseul nods and adds three scoops of coffee creamer and stirs. Kahei glances at the kitchen counter, she finally notices the preparation for pancakes. Haseul turns around while still in the older one’s embrace to which Kahei adjusts herself.

“Coffee’s ready.”

“I know.”

“Why not sit down for a bit?”

“A little later.” Kahei smiles up to Haseul.

“Really, it’s way too early for you to be this adorable, sweetheart.” Haseul coos making Kahei blush.

“Shut up, you like it anyways.”

“Correction: I love it.” Haseul teases, but was truthful.  Kahei releases Haseul from the embrace and walks to the near-by dining table and sat on one of the chairs. Haseul picks up the two mugs and brings it to the table. Kahei cups the mug, feeling the warmth of the coffee while Haseul takes a small sip. The kitchen is filled with the aroma of coffee. Sundays were always good days.

 

“Planning to make pancakes? “ She asks as she looks at the stuff scattered on the kitchen counter. Haseul nods.

“Would you like to make some with me? The kids won’t be up for a while.” Haseul offers.

“The kids?” Kahei raises an eyebrow on the term.

“Hey, I’m called Momseul for a reason.” Haseul playfully defended herself to which Kahei giggles to, “Besides, they’re like your daughters to at this point.” Haseul points out.

“They are.” 

Haseul stands up and leaves her coffee on the table. Kahei follows.

“Let’s get cooking!” Haseul cheers with a fist pump up the air. Kahei can only shake her head with a smile.

“Hey, wait.” Kahei calls out to Haseul, who then turns around only to be met with a quick peck on the lips. Stunned, she just stands there, while Kahei whispers a “Good morning” beside her ear and then passes her by to grab her favorite apron—wears it—and ties her hair up from the hair tie she tucked in the pockets of the apron.

 

Really, Haseul loves early mornings.