The Price Will Be Paid

The Cursed Queen

OST: Game of Thrones theme song. Please listen while reading.

***************************************************************************

Queen Sooyoung had been properly trained in sword fighting since she was five years old. She could hold her ground in a fight.

The Lord of Death was amazed that she didn’t die in one blow. Instead, she could meet all his slashes with her own sword, step by step.

After a few seconds, he felt as if they were dancing. She was wearing a beautiful red dress embroidered with gold threads. She jumped and ran. Her crown fell to the floor in her fifth move, her hair flew everywhere, like a curtain of black silk around her.

However, no matter what, he’s an immortal entity that had lived for millenniums. His power could crush the whole earth into ashes. He was just playing with her, while she used all her energy and courage to defend her own life.

Minutes passed. She was already sweating and trembling with exhaustion, but he still met her sword so steadily.

A slip of her foot, he turned, and all of a sudden, he broke her sword into two, and had his own trusted onyx sword on her smooth neck.

She was breathing hard. Truthfully, she’s so tired she barely could stand anymore, but she rather jumped off the tower than falling on this hideous monster’s feet.

“I’ve had enough playing, Lady.”

“Why do I have to die? Why now?” she demanded.

“Because your time is up.”

“Why??? There are still so many things I want to do!”

“You’ve done enough. You disrupt the balance of humanity’s fate.”

“What nonsense is that?”

The Lord of Death tilted his head in amusement. “The Emperors of Japan and China were not meant to die under your hands.”

“They’re criminals. If you’re a deity, you’re supposed to know that!”

“You were not supposed to be this powerful, Lady Sooyoung.”

“I’m a queen, not a mere lady.”

The Lord of Death chuckled.

“I know. But I’ll call you as I please.”

“I am saving those who need help.”

“They were not supposed to be helped.”

“They’re victims of crime!”

“They were meant to die.”

“That’s so unfair!”

“Let’s just say......we, the ones who manage universes, have different sense of fairness.”

“I refuse to die now!”

The Lord of Death smiled, completely entertained by then.

“Oh? And do you think simply by saying you don’t want to, you can escape your fate?”

“Why do I have to die now? Let me live!”

“Why should I let you live longer, Lady?”

“I have grand plans! I just laid the foundation. If you kill me now, the death of thousands would be in vain!”

“Humans would always say this defence for the next millenniums. Saying their visions are for the greater good.”

“I don’t want this for myself! I want to help others!”

“Also another typical sentence, unfortunately.”

“I AM MORE USEFUL ALIVE THAN DEAD!!!”

“Shall I humour you and see your dreams?”

The Lord of Death waved his hand and thin, black smoke, like a rope, entered Sooyoung’s brain.

She instantly felt hazy.

And he saw it, Sooyoung taking over the whole Asia, eradicating starvation and poverty, crime and injustice. He saw tall castles and citizens laughing. Children growing up and playing in the main streets. Even the poorest would be well-clothed and healthy.

There would only be one questionable fact. She’s going to turn over the gender stigma entirely. Men would be seen as the second strongest gender, capable only for physical traits. Soldiers, builders, athletes, guards. But never kings, ministers or scholars.

Women would rule Asia, and they would all rule justly.

Even if there would be war, that would happen five hundred years later, between queens too.

If he killed her that night, he’d cut that flow of destiny.

What mortals didn’t know was that destiny and fate were liquid. They’re interchangeable.

It’s the three immortals duty – the God, The Lady of Life and The Lord of Death—to make decisions by what felt best to mould the destiny and fate.

“You have beautiful dreams, Lady.”

“Let me make them come true!”

“How amusing. Humans usually beg me on their knees.”

“I bow to no one” Sooyoung stated, “Least of all, to you.”

Her eyes were so fiery, making him stepped forward just to see them clearer.

Sooyoung was terrified.

There was darkness behind him, and he was walking to her.

It was mere self-pride that made her lifted her chin and stood her ground.

“I never not take the life I’m meant to take, Lady.”

“There’s always a first to everything.”

He smiled again.

“You’re too brave for your own good.”

“What do I have but bravery?”

A unique woman, indeed. One of a kind.

If he stabbed her with his sword right then, he’d stop this lovely creature from existing.

What a pity.

“Let me give what I can to as many people as I can. Let me be someone that helps more than destroy.”

“How much longer would you like to live, Lady?”

“Ten years.”

Even she read surprise in the Lord of Death’s eyes.

“I’d have to pay the price, if I ever let you live longer than tonight.”

“Then pay it” she said, “I’ll also pay mine.”

“Really? What can you offer me, that I don’t already have?”

She stared at him.

He stared right back at her.

Her eyes flew down to his black onyx sword.

Then back at his eyes.

“You can have my body.”

He raised an eyebrow.

She stepped back and told herself, this was only a part of the fight.

Wordlessly, she began taking off all her jewels.

Then she unclasped her red robe, letting it fell down behind her.

She then ed her own dress, letting it fell to the floor.

She then faced him with only her corset on, and underwear.

He stared at her. From her fiery eyes, to her beautiful body.

He knew her well. He had watched her all her life. She had never done this with any other men before.

He walked closer to her, until he could touch her cleavage, brushing it with his finger tips.

“How dare you. Do you think your body is enough to change destiny?”

“I have to try” she insisted.

He could hear her voice was shaking for the first time, but he didn’t mention it.

They stared at each other for a long time.

“I’ll pay the price. I’ll give you ten more years to live, Lady Sooyoung.”

“Thank you” she said.

He ran his hand on her front, once, and her underwear dissolved to ashes.

She stood in front of The Lord of The Death then, trying not to shiver.

“Are you ready to pay your price?”

Her chin high, she answered, “Yes.”

He chuckled, and moved forward to put his hands on her waist.

The next second, they somehow were already standing beside a bed, on a bedroom near the throne room.

“How can I be sure that you’ll give me what I want?”

“You can’t” he answered, making her sat on the bed, then pushing her down. “You just have to believe me.”

“Are you sure you prefer this than death, Lady?”

“Yes. If you let me be queen for the next ten years.”

“I’ll give you what you want. Now, can I take what I want?”

“Yes.”

“I won’t hesitate then. I’m going to enjoy you thoroughly, Lady.”

“I know you will.”

He chuckled, and placed his lips on hers.

He felt cold on her skin.

He pulled back and took a good look at her.

She’s looking back at him with all the bravery she could muster.

He could practically hear her heartbeat, beating so loud and fast.

He could hear the swish of her blood, running amok in her veins.

But most of all, he could hear her breathing so fast, with the mix of fear, nervousness, and lust.

Yes, lust.

No men could ever go this far with her.

But they both knew he would.

She watched his face loomed closer.

Another blink of an eye, and The Lord of Death was crouching above her, as as she was.

“Thank you in advance for my tasty dinner, Lady Sooyoung.”

He completely lied on top of her, and she let herself be devoured.

************************************************

A few hours later, when he’s satisfied in exploring her many times, he dressed and told her, “I stopped the time in your world. I need to return to God and pay the price of giving you ten more years to live. It will be ten days in your time, but you won’t see the sun rising or setting. Just wait for me. I will come back and make the time here return as usual.”

“What’s the price you’ll pay, Lord?”

“Is that a worried tone I hear, Lady? For me?”

“It’s a mere question” she denied.

He chuckled again.

“Wait for me. I’ll definitely return. It will be lonely here, but be patient. Take good care of yourself, Bride of Mine.”

With a peck on her lips, The Lord of Death dissolved into black smoke.

*********************************************************

When he returned to heaven, The God and The Lady of Life were sitting together beside a pond. The God liked to fish, pretending he’s nothing but a peasant. The Lady of Life liked to read human’s literature while lying on her divan. The language of the book didn’t matter. She understood it all.

God took one look at him and concluded, “You didn’t kill Queen Sooyoung.”

“How long do I have to stay in hell to give her ten years more to live?”

“Sungjae-yah” The Lady of Life interjected, “You can’t be serious!”

“I am. She’s going to be a blessed queen if I let her live. She’s just going to change the destiny into something different than we thought. But we always knew destiny is liquid anyway. I’m going to let her mould her own.”

“Sungjae-yah, you’re disrupting the balance.”

“I’ll pay the price.”

“She’s not just your plaything?”

“No. I claim her as my bride.”

“Sungjae-yah. Don’t be crazy” God begged.

“How long do I have to be punished in hell to give her ten more years to live? Just tell me, and I’ll do it.”

“It’s going to be really painful for you, Sungjae-yah” God tried again.

“We all know I won’t die.”

“You’re willing to be tortured in hell just for one girl?” Lady of Life asked.

“Yes. I fell in love. You won’t know unless you experience it as well.”

“Do you have her dreams?” God inquired.

Sungjae threw Sooyoung’s dreams of the future and let God analyzed it.

Dreams could be taken or borrowed. In Sungjae's hands, they formed like soap bubbles.

God then sighed heavily, “These are good dreams. And it can happen.”

“I want her to have it.”

“But you must be tortured in hell for it.”

“Fine. How long?”

“You’ll want to give her ten more years?”

“Yes. Then she’ll rule death with me afterwards.”

Lady of Life gasped.

“That’s a lot to ask.”

“How long, Father?” Sungjae asked insistently.

“Well, for the balance of all universes and lives past, present and future, you’re supposed to be tortured for ten millenniums.”

“Can you just make it one thousand years?”

Time was also liquid. They could manipulate it as they wished. Time on Sooyoung’s world could be just ten days while it was one thousand years in heaven.

“Are you willing to undergo extreme pain in hell to exchange for the shorter time?”

“Yes.”

“Sungjae-yah, let’s think about this again calmly.”

“No, I don’t want to. Just punish me then let me do what I want.”

“Is she allowed to be sent to hell for one thousand years before ruling death with you?”

“No. Never. You’ll never cause any harm for her.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes.”

“May I ask, why are you suddenly insisting for this madness, just for a woman?”

“I watched her ever since she was born until now. I love her.”

“Fine. If you say so, there’s nothing else I could do to stop you. Go to hell, Son, and serve your punishment.”

Sungjae saw his sister, Lady of Life, began weeping, before he disappeared and went to hell, all by his own will.

*************************************************

Author’s Note:

To be continued, obviously.

Once more, I know this story is crazy. I even think this is insane.

But really, it’s good to break boundaries and beliefs, even in one short fictional story.

I guess I want my female readers to learn a little from Queen Sooyoung.

To metaphorically be someone who could face Death in the eyes and even fight him.

And despite everything, although it didn’t make sense, he loves her.

So.....I hope you too, can learn to love this Sungjae and Sooyoung.

Until next time!