Water

Of Course

The moon shone brightly in the distance as a strawberry haired girl sat quietly in her hut, the sound of her mother's humming filling the air. 

"Chaeyoung-ah come play with me" a raven haired girl sat next to Chaeyoung hands already spread out forming mindless little droplets in the air.

"You're such a tease Alice-unnie" The five-year old complained before giggling with her own set of droplets. Together they set up an army full of little droplets each set to outperform the others set. Suddenly the hut door was thrown open by a tall muscular man with a jolly smile.

"Agk, you scared me" Their mother exclaimed although she didn't even blink an eye. Winking he threw his hands out and a downpour of shining snowflakes scattered themselves onto the two girls leaving them giggling .

"Papaaa" Alice drawled out, "You ruined our game of Flicker!!" The man only smiled before plopping next to them, giving a kiss to his beloved wifes cheek. 

"What a flatterer" she teased. Before turning her attention back at the expectent sisters. "You may begin" They laughed at her attempt of sounding like their father, her sweet melodic voice unable to contain the gruffness required for a gameholder. The two smiles immedietly became serious, each with a determined glare. Soon the hut was filled with intricate snowflakes and water dragons that shimmered in the flicker of the torches, the shadows of rainbow on their parents faces. They exchanged a glance.

Oh how did it go so wrong so quickly? 

The fire nation after their quick conquest over the air nomads, finally turned their destruction towards the water tribes. The northern tribes were untouched, the weather too harsh, the journey too long. The southern tribes were ruthlessly attacked over and over again. Only tribes with many experienced water benders remained unharmed, unfortunatly the remaining tribes perished without the defence of the warriors. It was only a matter of time before the same would befall onto Chaeyoung. Later they would turn their attention to the earth kingdom before many of the leaders pledged alliance with the fire nation. 

They came with the fury of eight ships, thirty-seven firebenders, and over two-hundred warriors. They struck mid-day melting the snow around them into steam. Only a few waterbenders managed to even provide a defense and night fell too slowly. When the moon finally appeared it was almost to late. The entire villlage was burnt down and the only remaining waterbenders was her sister and their parents. 

"Chaeyoung" There was no honorifics required for this situation, there was no time to spare.

"Yes" Her bottom lip quivered

"Don't ever tell anyone that you're a waterbender" Her mother looked into her eyes, her face suddenly aging and Chaeyoung could only nod. "Alice, let's go"

"Unnie!" Chaeyoung screamed out, her eyes blowing wide with panic. The thirteen-year old only smiled bittersweetly at her before joining their parents in the fight, her robes fluttering in the glow of the flames.

Chaeyoung just squeezed herself tighter.

"Chaeyoung"

"Chaeyoung" The images begain to grow fainter. Chaeyoung opened her eyes still dazed by the gentle rocking of the canoe.

Alice sat on the opposite side a mask still covering her face. She was severly burnt before Chaeyoung had gotten to her and healed her. Most of her wounds were gone although the scar from a burning sword would forever remain. Her left hand was just a mangled piece of flesh, pale and weak and her voice would never recover. 

Someday, Chaeyoung hoped, the avatar would come back to them.