The notebook

Under My Umbrella

" Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo wake up!" Do Jihan, Kyungsoo's best friend jabbed him with a pencil while Kyungsoo was dozing off during history lesson. 

" Mr Do Kyungsoo, wake up! " Mrs Hwang, the history teacher said sharply causing Kyungsoo to sit up immediately. 

"Yes, Ma'am." Do kyungsoo replied, feeling embarrassed. 

" Since you have been sleeping, answer this question for me . In which year was Royal Consort Jang Hee Bin executed? "

" That's easy, Ma'am. She was executed on 9 November 1701."

" Impressive." Mrs Hwang nodded her head." You may be sleeping in class but at least you still have the basic knowledge. The other teachers weren't lying when they said you were a genius. But that doesn't mean you can sleep in my class but I'll let it slide just this once."

" Sorry, Mrs Hwang." Kyungsoo apologized. 

Just then, the school bell rang and the last period officially ended. 

" Class, you may be dismissed. We'll continue this chapter on Monday." Mrs Hwang said sternly as she gracefully walked out of the classroom. 

" Damn, she's scary." Jihan heaved a sigh of relief.

" Hello, Kyungsoo and Jihan are you guys coming for my birthday party this Sunday?" A sweet, kind voice asked timidly out of the blue. 

" Jihyun, what's up? " Jihan greeted and gently nudged Kyungsoo. He knew Kyungsoo had a crush on Jihyun but Kyungsoo has been too shy to confess at the moment. 

" Hi, Jihyun. How are you? " Kyungsoo said bashfully as he blushed." We'll see you at your birthday party."

" I'm so glad you guys could come for my birthday party." jihyun smiled sweetly as she handed two pink invitation cards to them." The rest of the details are on the card."

" Jihyun, I can't wait for your party this Sunday." Another voice chimed in, Kyungsoo looked up and saw Kim Seon Ho, the most popular basketball player and heartthrob in school approached and wrapped his arm around Jihyun. He turned to Kyungsoo and smirked. 

" You're coming for the party too? Shouldn't you be at home studying or sleeping?" Seonho snickered. 

" That's enough, Seonho." Jihyun scolded as she pinched Seonho's forearm." You're being mean to him."

" I'm coming for the party so don't worry." kyungsoo stared at Seonho with determination." I'm not someone who studies every single minute."

" Well, hope to see you there little pipsqueak." Seonho sneered as he joined his group of friends and left. 

" He's so mean.He should fall down and sprain his ankle and then we'll see who's laughing." Jihan said savagely as he packed his school bag. 

" I got to go, I'll see you around." Jihyun said kindly as she left the classroom. 

" Shall we buy Jihyun something for her birthday? " Jihan asked." We should get her a gift."

" I'm planning on making her a customized notebook and then I'll write my feelings about her in the notebook."

" Sounds romantic." Jihan teased." Are you going to write cheesy, cringy sentences about what you love about her?"

" Shut up, Jihan." Kyungsoo said irately." You have never been in love so don't tease me like that."

" Sorry."

Kyungsoo and Jihan spend the whole afternoon looking for art material to customize the notebook Kyungsoo was going to give. Jihan decided to get a pikachu soft toy for Jihyun. 

" Mom, I'm home." Kyungsoo called out as he took out his sneakers in a hurry and went to the kitchen to greet his mom who was busy cooking kimchi stew. 

" My son, go and wash up quickly dinner is almost ready." Kyungsok's mom said gently as she took a ladle and started stirring the stew that was bowling on the stove.

" I'm going for Jihyun's birthday party this Sunday afternoon." Kyungsoo answered.

" That's new, You aren't the type to go out often." Kyungsoo's mom said with amazement. 

" It's Jihyun after all." Kyungsoo said sheepishly. "You know I have been having a crush on her since we were in elementary school and we ended up in high school together. She never realised I had a crush on her."

" That girl is the prettiest young lady I have ever seen and she's kind and smart so I'll fully support it if you and Jihyun are dating." Kyungsoo's mom smiled. " Now run along and get changed, dinner is ready soon."

After dinner, Kyungsoo went into his room and started customizing the notebook. A few hours passed and he finally finished making the exterior of the notebook. 

" Now I have to think how I shall confess to her." Kyungsoo mumbled to himself as he fiddled with the pen." Maybe I should ask Jihan."

Kyungsoo grabbed his phone and texted Jihan. 

 

Kyungsoo: Jihan, what shall I write? 

Jihan: Dude, How do I know? I'm not the love expert here. I guess you should write how much you love her and what you love about her. 

Kyungsoo: I need it to be original but how? 

Jihan: I really do not know but if you really like her you'll eventually know what to write. I believe in you, mate. 

" Well, that's encouraging." Kyungsoo sighed as he placed his phone on the table. 

 

Two days later... 

" Kyungsoo, you look amazing today!" Kyungsoo's complimented as Kyungsoo went out of the bedroom dressed in a uniglo Elmo ​T-shirt with a bomber jacket and ripped jeans. He also had his hair gelled up and he wore BB cream and liptint. He carried a converse backpack and he wore dark brown contact lenses. 

" I need to look good infront of Jihyun." Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly as he wore his Aldo sneakers. 

" And wait, you forgot something." Kyungsoo's mom ran into the storeroom before returning with an umbrella with red hearts design. 

" The weather report stated it was going to have heavy rain in the evening today." Kyungsoo's mom explained. 

" Really? An umbrella with hearts? " 

" Come on, I think it's adorable!"

" Fine, I guess it'll suffice." Kyungsoo grabbed the umbrella and rolled his eyes. " I'll be back soon."

" See you later, Son! "

Jihyun's house was a ten minutes walk away from Kyungsoo's house. Kyungsoo met up with Jihan at his house before walking to Jihyun's house together since Jihan was Kyungsoo's neighbour too. 

" So have you decided on what you want to write to her? " Jihan asked as he swung his paper bag contained the present back and forth happily. 

" It's only for me and her to see." Kyungsoo said proudly. 

Kyungsoo and Jihan arrived at Jihyun's house and they were greeted by Jihyun and her older sister, Sohee at the front door. 

" It's good to see you Kyungsoo and Jihan! " Sohee smiled sweetly as she escorted them into the living room where everyone was waiting. 

" Well, look who decided to show up." Seonho said with a smug on his face as he fished his hand into a bag of potato chips." What's with the new look? Are you trying to act like you're the popular kid around here?"

" Seonho, I think he looks brilliant." Sohee complimented." I love the contact lenses."

" Thanks, Noona." Kyungsoo said timidly. 

" Kyungsoo, I'm really happy to have you here." Jihyun chirped as she escorted Kyungsoo and Jihan to sit beside her friends.

" Alright, shall we start playing some games? " Sohee called out as she gathered everyone to stand in the middle of the living room. 

" We shall start with a game of musical chairs? "

After playing a few round of games, Sohee brought out the birthday cake and placed it in the middle of the dining table. 

" I'm not surprised at how Kyungsoo managed to lose at all the games like musical chairs he even fell off the chair by mistake." Seonho snickered as he pointed at Kyungsoo." It's not surprising since he's an awful nerd."

" Seonho, that's enough from you." Jaeyoung, one of Seonho's clique of friends said quietly." I think that's a bit too much."

" I'm just saying..."

" Everyone, let's gather around the table amd sing a "happy birthday" song." Sohee said cheerfully as she took out a party whistle and blew into it. 

After cutting the cake, Seonho volunteered to distribute the cake to the guests. 

" Kyungsoo, here's a slice of cake." Seonho gave a vicious smile before purposely smearing a piece of cake onto Kyungsoo's Tshirt. 

" OMG, I'm sorry Kyungsoo." Seonho apologized deceitfully. " I wasn't paying attention."

" Jerk, can you cut it out for a second?" Jihan said furiously. " You have been bullying my friend since the beginning of the party."

" I think we should cut this out and move on to the presents." Jihyun suggested. 

" I shall go and wash up in the bathroom." Kyungsoo hurried to the bathroom. 

" Here's my gift, My sweet Jihyun." Seonho handed a tiny wrapped box to Jihyun. 

" It's a Pandora bracelet." Seonho smiled." I know you love Pandora bracelets."

" Thanks, Captain." Jihyun said thankfully and placed the box on the coffee table. 

" I got you a pikachu soft toy." Jihan handed a paper bag with Jihyun's initials written on the paper bag. 

" Thank you, Jihan. I love soft toys."

Just then, Kyungsoo came out of the bathroom and went to take his present. 

" Are you okay? " Jihyun asked looking concern. 

" I'm fine."Kyungsoo replied. 

" I got something for you, Jihyun." Kyungsoo said bashfully as he timidly gave a wrapped notebook to her. 

" A notebook? " Seonho scoffed. " Your present is nothing compared to mine. You're just too poor to get an expensive gift for my sweet Jihyun. She doesn't deserve this garbage."

" Seonho, can you shut your mouth?" Jihyun said angrily." Kyungsoo has done something beautiful."

" I bet he's too poor to even get Louis vuitton handbags, I heard his father is a taxi driver and his mother is a waitress at a fried chicken restaurant..."

" SEONHO I AM SICK OF YOU BULLYING ME SINCE THE MOMENT WE WERE IN THE SAME CLASS, I AM MANY THINGS BUT I AM CERTAINLY NOT ARROGANT LIKE A LIKE YOU !" Kyungsoo snapped, he grabbed Seonho's collar and pulled him closer. 

" So you have finally stood up for yourself." Seonho said maliciously as he shoved Kyungsoo away causing him to fall backwards. 

" , I HAD ENOUGH OF TOLERATING YOU I'M LEAVING." Kyungsoo grabbed his bagpack and stormed off.

" Kyungsoo, wait!" Jihan called out and ran after him.

" You're a mean jerk you know that?" Jihyun scowled at Seonho and gave him a tight slap." I'm ending this party and I shouldn't have invited you in the first place."

" But baby..."

" She's not your baby, Seonho." Sohee barked." You shouldn't be friends with her anymore so get out of here you ruined her day."

"Kyungsoo don't run away from me !" Jihan shouted as he quickly ran to Kyungsoo who was dragging himself on the pavement.

"Kyungsoo, let's leave that alone.You have won the fight, you stood up for yourself..."

" I did not.." Kyungsoo uttered under his breath." I got humiliated, I can't face Jihyun anymore."

" Jihyun is not that kind of person who will bully you she'll be the one who'll stand up for you." Jihan assured. 

" Jihan, I just want to be alone. Please let me go home myself." Kyungsoo smiled bitterly.

" I'll leave you be, just let me know when you're ready to talk." Jihan said softly and walked infront of Kyungsoo and brisk walked away. 

"What's with the long face? " Kyungsoo's mom looked at him anxiously as Kyungsoo dragged himself into the living room and slumped onto the couch. " And you made in time it's starting to drizzle."

" Mom... I ruined my day, I failed the mission... " Kyungsoo said, feeling bereaved. 

" Dear... I'm sure there'll be a solution to this...and this reminds me of something where is the umbrella I gave you?"

" OMG! I left my umbrella at Jihyun's house! I can't go back there!" Kyungsoo gasped. 

" And it's starting to pour heavily I think you should get it from her tomorrow."

" I'll try..." Kyungsoo sighed. 

After dinner, Kyungsoo was lying in bed, thinking about how he was going to comfront Jihyun the next day. 

" Maybe I should skip school tomorrow." He muttered. 

Just then, his phone vibrated and he received a text from Jihyun. 

Jihyun( my cherry blossom princess💮): Kyungsoo, I'm sorry for today. I have already broke my friendship with Seonho and I am sorry for the trouble. I am outside your house with your umbrella and I need to ask you something. 

A few seconds later the doorbell rang and Kyungsoo's mom went to get the door.

" Jihyun, it's such a pleasant surprise to see you. You must feel really cold from the pouring rain." 

" I'm fine, Ma'am." Jihyun smiled cheerfully. " I would like to speak to Kyungsoo outside."

" But it's pouring cats & dogs outside why don't you talk with Kyungsoo inside." Kyungsoo's mom suggested. 

" I have my umbrella and I have ought to take a warm bath later."

" Kyungsoo! Jihyun is asking for you! " 

" I'm coming! "

Kyungsoo quickly combed his hair and scurried to the front door. 

"Hi..." Kyungsoo said awkwardly." You wanted to see me."

"Come outside."

Kyungsoo stepped outside the house and went under the umbrella Jihyun was holding. 

" Kyungsoo, I read what you wrote in the notebook and you wanted to confess your love for me...is it true that you like me?"

" Yes...I do like you." Kyungsoo confessed. " I liked you since we were in elementary school. I loved your beautiful smile, your kindness,everything ! And I was so ecstatic to have you in my high school. "

" I have to admit I liked you too, Do Kyungsoo." Jihyun admitted. "I knew you liked me it was very obvious but I kept it a secret from you because I was afraid to tell you."

" Jihyun... shall we start dating?"

" Yes... I want to date you because I love you." Jihyun dropped her umbrella and tiptoed to peck a kiss on Kyungsoo's cheek. 

" What was that? " Kyungsoo blushed crimson red. 

" My first kiss..." Jihyun said shyly. 

" If that's your first kiss here's mine." Kyungsoo bend his knees slightly and gave Jihyun a kiss on the lips. 

" Today shall be our first day of dating, I love you Kyungsoo." 

" I love you Jihyun ." 

Kyungsoo and Jihyun hugged each other tightly and kissed under the pouring rain while getting drenched. But they didn't care because this was just the beginning of their love story, their walk on the flower road...

 

Kyungsoo's confession:

Dear Jihyun,

They say cherry blossoms represents a time of renewal , a fleeting nature of life. I have been with you throughout my lifetime since elementary but I haven't had the courage to tell you I love you. I know you love cherry blossoms so let's go and see the cherry blossoms bloom next year when it's spring. I have watched you grow into a beautiful lady whose smile never changed throughout the years. I have been hesitating and waiting for the right time to confess and I have the feeling this is the right time. You have helped me through difficult times and I'm so grateful to be with you. I thank you for being with me and I hope you see the loving side of me. I love you,  cherry blossom princess. 

- Do Kyung Soo