Final.

Of All the Past Mistakes and Nice Ice Americano
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SHINee // Royal AU

..

 

Onew/Key

 

..

 

Lee Jinki didn’t know how it all turned to be like this.

 

He was happy enough being an intel and working on all the spying duties thingy, he got paid enough of it, his savings are great either, and he’s happy with his job, really. Never crossed in his mind that he would get… some kind of promotion, and now he’s being a prince’s guardian instead. Like a bodyguard, perhaps.

 

At least he should be thankful about it, because that means he will get more money now, by just following the King’s son everywhere. That job was easier than being an intel, and Jinki would’ve keen of that idea if the prince isn’t such an… .

 

Such a spoiled son, often go out to a club in the night, always nagging on his parents if they didn’t give him what he wants, and… well, from what Jinki had heard, he always has so many fling, be it woman or man.

 

Ah, but then their first official meeting was rather unpleasant too. The incident is what makes Jinki be his bodyguard now.

 

It was just a simple night actually, Jinki was in the middle of spying someone in a club when suddenly there’s a fight. He would’ve ignore the fight if it wasn’t for when he took a closer look, he saw the face of the King’s son in there. As the stupid boy who started the fight.

 

Oh my God.

 

Then everything was pure instinct when Jinki somehow saved the prince from the scene, before everything go out of control. And the stupid son was brave enough to challenge Jinki when it was clear then Jinki is bulkier than him. Jinki even went through all the times just to explain to the boy that he’s working under his father, because the said son was insisting him to show his id or else he won’t believe him (and he said that he would report bad things to his father).

 

Well, Jinki didn’t want to lose his job that fast, and that’s why he decided to walk him back to the palace so he could explain everything to his father too.

 

Which, now we’re back to the matter again, where Jinki suddenly assigned to be the Prince’s bodyguard. The bodyguard of Prince Kim Kibum. The son of the King Kim... who's so spoiled, so bratty, and every bad so-so Jinki could ever think of.

 

“I can’t believe this.” Kibum mumbled more to himself when he’s finally sober enough to recall everything happened. He eyed Jinki with hatred. “I don’t need bodyguard, what the hell.”

 

Jinki rolled his eyes as the response. He didn’t want to be his bodyguard either. “Yeah, pretty sure.” If Kibum could get the hint of his sarcasm tone, then maybe he could consider that this boy has the intelligence slight above the level.

 

“ off, I know you don’t want this job either.”

 

Oh good, the Prince noticed his sarcasm.

 

“Let me make it clear, I don’t need you to follow me everywhere. I need my privacy, okay? You’ll just accompany me to campus, and no other than that. Understand?” Kibum’s voice sounded threatening, but Jinki didn’t feel scared of the younger boy in front of him. He’s twenty-six, for God’s sake, there’s no way Jinki would get threatened by a mere—spoiled seventeen years old boy.

 

“I will follow you, everywhere. Just like the King’s orders.” Jinki responded.

 

“You can’t do that! I’m not going to let you take away all my privacy!” The Prince almost shouted, but even if he was, he wouldn’t care. They’re in his room now, because the King had ordered Jinki to talk with Kibum about his schedule.

 

“To be honest I’d prefer to spy on my target either rather than following you to some kind of club.” Jinki stated, looking bored as ever when Kibum continues to nag. “Thanks to you for making a hassle in that club, now my on-going two weeks worth mission was in vain.”

 

“Then just go spy on whoever bastard your target is, I don’t care.” The Prince hissed at Jinki before he entered his closet.

 

As much as a patient man Jinki is, but to have a bratty boy talking with rude tone to him, made him feel annoyed. And before Kibum could enter his closet, Jinki slammed his hand to the closet door, making Kibum shrieked at his action.

 

The Prince nervously turned his body, facing Jinki and made a gulp sound as he realized how close he is to his new bodyguard. And the look on Jinki’s eyes. He looked so pissed.

 

“Here is how it will go.” Jinki began, staring directly to Kibum’s eyes. “I will follow you, everywhere. Even if you didn’t like it, I don’t care. I’m just doing my job. You understand?”

 

“Fine.” Kibum answered with heavy sigh. “You’re getting on my nerves already, I will report on your behavior to my dad, and it’ll be pleasant to see you lose your job.”

 

“Report all you care, I’m going to report you either so you would be grounded.”

 

. Kibum didn’t want to be grounded. Last time he was grounded, he couldn’t go anywhere except his campus, and he had to stay in his room for the whole week. How boring.

 

“Fine—fine whatever! Follow me all you want, but I don’t want to see you comment anything to my father, okay?!” The Prince shouted, and even though he wants to flee from Jinki, he was trapped because the bodyguard’s hand was blocking him.

 

“Now that’s what I like to hear. Pleasure to work with you.” Jinki rolled his eyes again as he withdrew his hand from Kibum’s closet door, slowly moved back to give the Prince some space.

 

“I ing hate you.” Kibum hissed between his teeth, and Jinki was chuckling as he was about to get out from the Prince’s room.

 

“I’m glad the feeling is mutual.”


 

..


 

The morning could have been pleasant if the abrasive mass of sunlights didn’t suddenly hitting his eyes at once. Kim Kibum groaned, finding out how the massive curtain in his room which usually blocked the sunshine lights now abruptly rolled. It’s his first time to be woken up with such a rude acts, and he was more than ready to yell at whoever the person in his room is to woke him up like that.

 

His maids wouldn’t dare to wake him up with such kinds of behavior, so.

 

“Wake up.”

 

Kibum froze as he heard that. Those voice, those honey-like voice with firm tone, he knew whose voice is that. And as soon as he opened his eyes just to peek on his surroundings, he found a familiar man standing in front of his bed, making him let out a heavy sigh.

 

“Why are you here? My maid is the one who supposed to wake me up, not you.” Kibum commented, slowly regaining all his senses back after the long sleep. “Lee Jinki?”

 

To his annoyance, Lee Jinki was already standing in front of his bed, looking so fresh in the morning with his black jacket. And Kibum didn’t want to comment, but his personal bodyguard sure got a bit of nice sense of fashion, because—even when he didn’t want to admit—his bodyguard now looks so handsome, and cool with his outfit.

 

His outfit last night was terrible, and maybe it’s because he’s on his undercover to spy on his target. That makes sense.

 

“Yeah, I’m questioning that too. Why I’m already in here, waking you up, whereas I could sit in front the coffee shop, enjoying my morning coffee instead to be in here.” Jinki sighed hard. “Your father called me, he’s doing everything he could to maintain you, even gave me all your schedule for today—until the next month. And I’m just doing my job to make you stay on your schedule.”

 

As soon as Jinki said that, he could hear a groan escaped from Kibum’s lips. The Prince looked frustrated, but as well as Jinki, they both didn’t like their situation even a bit. Kibum couldn’t get the privacy he wanted, and Jinki couldn’t continue his precious two weeks worth mission.

 

God.

 

Jinki should’ve take a note to just stay out of trouble the next time he saw anyone from the palace goes into a fight.

 

“Fine. Fine.” Kibum muttered, slowly getting up from his bed. “Just so you know…” he glanced to his clock. “You’re waking me ten minutes early and I hope you’re not doing it tomorrow so that you could have your morning coffee.”

 

Jinki hummed as Kibum went to the bathroom, but the Prince opened the door again, staring at Jinki with wide eyes. He seemed hesitated for a bit before finally opened his mouth. “I’m sorry, for last night. I wasn’t sober enough—wait well, I don’t have any excuse. Just, sorry.”

 

That was truly unexpected.

 

For a spoiled Prince like him to apologize for a mere person like Jinki, someone with status lower than him. Sure Jinki was surprised, but he managed to keep his composure. “Ah, well. Okay.”

 

“I don’t meant what I said last night. And no, I don’t want to see you lose your job—it’ll be bad for your family, your wife and kids—“

 

“—I’m still single.”

 

A pause. “—either way, still, that was very rude of me. So I apologize.”

 

“Apology accepted.” Jinki nodded his head.

 

There was a silence before Kibum finally opened his mouth again. “Why are you still here? You wanna stare at me when I’m changing my clothes later or what?”

 

The bodyguard hurriedly excused himself from the room. He almost forgot about that.



 

..



 

“Oh my God…”

 

Jinki would’ve threw himself out of the car because it’s the nth time he heard Kibum groaning and complaining. Seriously, it’s still his first day of his new job, and he already hates it. Being an intel sounds so much better than being a bodyguard of a spoiled whining boy. Instead of a bodyguard, Jinki felt like he’s a babysitter whose job is following the kid everywhere.

 

“What now?” He found himself answering the complaint, and Jinki was surprised at himself.

 

“We’re like thirty minutes earlier from my first class!” Kibum pouted, leaning himself against the window inside his car. At first he didn’t like the idea of him sharing car with Jinki. But then the bodyguard took a seat beside the driver, and Kibum could have the whole backseat to himself only, so, well, that’s bearable.

 

“The faster the better.” Jinki commented on it. Sometimes he was wondering of how could the driver just stay silent all the time with all the complaining that comes from Kibum’s mouth.

 

Jinki would’ve resigned within two days if he were the driver.

 

Fortunately, Kibum didn’t say anything back anymore. Which makes the whole ride calmer than before, and Jinki was grateful of that.

 

They arrived on Kibum’s campus for like five minutes later, and the said Prince immediately exited the car, leaving both Jinki and the driver alone. Once he’s far enough, Jinki sighed.

 

“How do you even survive with all his complaints…” he muttered, which made the driver chuckled.

 

“At first I don’t like it too. But then I’m used to it? He’s actually a very kind child, and it’s just… he seems to make friends with wrong people now.” The driver’s eyes narrowed, seemed to lost deep in his sad thoughts, he surely talks like he’s the father of Kibum. Maybe because he already worked for Kibum for a long time, judging by his age with all the white strands on his hair, that idea seemed possible.

 

“Mm…” Jinki hummed. “For now I still think of him as a bratty spoiled child, well, maybe I’ll get to see more of his character later.”

 

“He’s a nice kid on the inside.” The driver smiled, a genuine one, and it made Jinki unconsciously smiled back too.

 

They were surprised by some knocks on Jinki’s window seat minutes later, Kibum showed up suddenly, carrying some bags.

 

Jinki decided to exited the car, brows furrowed with confused expression. “What’s wrong? You forgot something.”

 

“No you .” Kibum shook his head as he handed him the brown bags. “For you and Mr. Oh.”

 

The bodyguard still using his confused expression before he opened the brown bags and found some delicious looking sandwiches inside. Food.

 

“And here,” Kibum handed him two cups of drinks too. “You said you haven’t had your morning coffee yet, so there. The hot black coffee’s for Mr. Oh, though.” Then he continued with small voice. “...I don’t know what you like so… I ordered ice americano…”

 

How thoughtful.

 

Jinki smiled at him, for the first time he could see the Prince’s other side, a kind side, and even though maybe Kibum considered this as just a little action, it’s still heartwarming. “Thank you very much.”

 

“Yeah, sure. I’m going to class now. Pick me up at 3 pm tops.” Kibum turned his back and walked away, fast. Little did Jinki knows about how Kibum’s cheek turned slightly pink as he gave him that smile.

 

Jinki got back inside the car, sharing all the sandwiches with Mr. Oh and gave him his coffee.

 

He decided he likes ice americano from now on.



 

..




 

Almost two weeks passed, and true to Mr. Oh words that Kibum is actually a kind person inside. At the first glance people might considered the Prince as just some spoiled brat, but when you try to know him better, he’s just a boy who’s really paying attention to the people around him.

 

There were some little actions from Kibum which Jinki could considered sweet. Kibum loves to remind all the people who works with him to eat, and he’s not just reminding them only, he sometimes would order delivery from a restaurant, and just, giving them delicious food.

 

“You have to take care of your health too, so don’t forget to eat.”

 

That’s what Kibum always said to every his workers, or just, people around him. His tone might sounds a bit harsh, but he said all of those with worried face.

 

One time, he brought some maids with him to help him get all the stuffs for his campus project, and there’s this one maid who couldn’t eat seafood. Poor her because Kibum ordered seafood as their lunch that day.

 

To his surprises, Kibum went through as far as to buy another lunch for the maid, all by himself. And then he said sorry. Kim Kibum said sorry to the maid.

 

The Prince actually wants to say sorry if he makes mistakes, despite his status and all. Jinki actually respects that side of him so much. Honestly he didn’t like Kibum when he’s nagging, but then Jinki realized that all the nags were more like him talking to himself rather than… blaming someone?

 

For example when there’s traffic on the morning, then Kibum would say with his sarcasm tone; “Isn’t it nice, the road is definitely trying to make me late to my class today.”

 

Yeah, that kind of complains.

 

Jinki was definitely used to it now.

 

Now today was just another day, another schedule, with the three of them; Jinki, Kibum, and Mr. Oh inside the car, on the way to some kind of fashion show. He’s used to accompany Kibum to this kind of event now because it’s related to Kibum’s major in campus.

 

After a boring ride for about twenty minutes, they arrived at their destination place. Jinki would usually standing not far from where Kibum was sitting, just trying to make sure that no harm done to the Prince. Well, to be honest sometimes he glanced at all the attractive models too, some models even wore something so… ridiculous—only in his opinion, of course—and sometimes he was asking himself if that kind of clothes would sell nicely to the public. That looks uncomfortable.

 

And as Jinki was about to go to the usual place where he stands, Kibum held his arm, stopping him from moving.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jinki asked curiously, and Kibum just glanced at the two empty seats in front of them.

 

“I asked them if they could spare one more seat for me, and they said yes.” Kibum answered. “Today you’re sitting next to me, it’s better than standing to the nearest wall, right?”

 

Truthfully Jinki didn’t expect Kibum would do something like this. How considerate of him.

 

“Okay.” Jinki nodded his head, taking a seat beside Kibum. For once he was glad because he wouldn’t have to stand for hours to wait until this event finished.

 

Lights were turned off, and all the attention turned to the stage where the designer and some models finally appeared. After the introduction, one by one the models came out, walking gracefully with every steps they had.

 

Jinki could feel that he’s getting bored after like—twenty models came out—from the backstage. He glanced to his side a bit, finding Kibum who’s in the middle of staring at each model carefully.

 

At first, Jinki’s first impression to Kibum might be bad. But each day when he finally knew the boy better, Jinki could feel that he’s actually fond of him. Kibum is someone who’s dedicating all his efforts and strength to all his nice interests. And sometimes Jinki was wondering why Kibum could started the fight in the club at the first place.

 

“You’re staring, is there something on my face?”

 

Jinki blinked for a few times before realized that Kibum’s talking to him now. “Uh, no.”

 

“Good. Would be embarrassing if I got something in my eyes.” Kibum answered shortly and sighing.

 

There’s this itchy feeling from Jinki where he really wants to make conversation with Kibum, but well. Well.

 

“You don’t seem to be in a great mood today.” Jinki commented with low voice, and he immediately regret his sentence.

 

“Yeah actually.”

 

Kibum was actually responding to him, and Jinki felt like he should talk more. What else could he do anyway? He was bored.

 

“You could talk about your problem to me, you know.”

 

There’s a silent moment between them, and Jinki had been wondering if he’s actually use the wrong words.

 

“Hmm…” the Prince turned to Jinki, slowly smirking. “Why are you curious?”

 

“Not curious but, if talking to someone could help ease whatever problems you have right now then… why not?”

 

Silence was once again filling the atmosphere between them, and it was minutes later when Kibum finally decided to talks. “Sometimes… I’m just… wondering… if they invite me here because they really acknowledge my talent. Or just because I’m the King’s son…”

 

It was almost unexpected for Kibum to actually respond to Jinki’s sentences, but he did it anyway. With a sad expression slowly building on his face, he then continued.

 

“Like maybe they want to promote better, so that they invite me. They know I will always post something on my sns whenever I’m being invited to something… so…” his voice trailed off, and Jinki could hear the sorrow on his sentences.

 

The bodyguard actually felt bad for him, and true to Mr. Oh’s words that Kibum isn’t just a spoiled kid. He’s actually a kind and nice boy, often showing affections with his own ways, and genuinely cares for others. Not all the bad rumors about him were true, and Jinki feels like he wants to know him more.

 

“Then why don’t you show them?” Jinki responded to Kibum’s sentences a few seconds later, smiling. “Show them that it’s worth to invite you here. Show them that you could do much more than just promote them. I know you have some critiques for them and if they couldn’t accept your critiques, then they’re not worth your time anymore.”

 

For a moment, Kibum didn’t respond to Jinki’s sentences at all. Which made Jinki afraid that he’s actually offended him, in some ways—the least thing he wants is a grumpy and nagging Kibum—so.

 

But then Kibum’s expression changed, his pouty lips slowly turned into a smile, and Jinki could see the dimples formed on both Kibum’s cheeks. The bodyguard was definitely aware that Kibum is attractive, but then seeing him up close like this… made Jinki’s stomach knotted.

 

Because Kibum is beautiful, and the fact that it’s Jinki who made him smiling like that is wonderful.

 

“You’re right, hyung.”

 

Those smile and simple sentences were enough to make Jinki’s heart becomes warmer in this middle of winter.



 

..




 

Being Kibum’s bodyguard isn’t that bad, now that Jinki thinks about it again.

 

It was easy, all he needs to do is just following him everywhere, keep an eye on him, helping him brings some of his projects, and somehow including waking him up in the morning.

 

Jinki was becoming more and more used to all this routine, and he doesn’t even complains anymore. No more whining to Mr. Oh if Kibum does something irritated him.

 

Now talking about Mr. Oh, the driver had taken two days off because his wife is currently sick right now. Kibum had sent a doctor to do a check up on Mr. Oh’s wife, and he’s relieved to hear that the sickness is nothing serious.

 

Which made Jinki be his driver and also bodyguard on this two days full. Well, Jinki was promised a twice salary than usual, so he wouldn’t complain either.

 

And Jinki was surprised when Kibum entered the passenger’s seat next to him. The King’s son would usually take a seat at the back seat, alone, while Jinki was sitting on the passenger seat where Kibum was seated now.

 

He didn’t comment about any of it—Jinki chose to not to—and when he was about to start driving, Kibum’s hand stopped him.

 

“Give me your other hand.”

 

“Uh, sure?” To be honest, Jinki was confused with his whole situation right now, but he just goes along with it and gave Kibum his other hand.

 

“I knew it… you’re scratched in here.” Kibum commented, his hand softly brushed against his palm, and Jinki could notice a scratch on it.

 

“Whoa, I don’t even notice it—“ Jinki blinked his eyes, because he truly doesn’t notice anything actually. And the scratch doesn’t feel hurt either.

 

“Stay still, I bring this mini first aid kit everywhere.” Kibum showed him a mini pocket which Jinki assumed to be the first aid. Then he smiled a little at Jinki before cleaning the scratch with his stuffs, and applying some iodine and little bandage tape.

 

“Thanks…” Jinki gulped once Kibum was done treating his hand. This kind of little affection actually made Jinki’s heart beating faster than usual.

 

“Do you know what usually my mother does so that the wound would heals faster?”

 

Jinki shook his head to respond, and Kibum smiled even more.

 

“She usually would kiss the wound, and magically, the wound wouldn’t feel hurts anymore.” Kibum chuckled. “Would you like a kiss too, Hyung?”

 

Jinki could feel that his heart was beating twice even faster. And the way Kibum said all those things with cute expression didn’t help him at all.

 

“Ah forget it. You don’t feel any hurt either in your wound, right?”

 

“I—I want it.”

 

Jinki’s answer actually made both of them surprised. And Kibum could feel that his face was heating, because he didn’t expect Jinki to actually respond to his joke.

 

But then Kibum leaned closer, kissing the tip of the scratch and then smiled at Jinki again. “Get well soon then hyung.”

 

The whole trip to the palace was filled with silence. And Jinki was thinking about should he gets a scratch on his lips later.


 

..



 

Kibum was behaving differently now around Jinki.

 

The bodyguard noticed the subtle difference, of course. On how Kibum would blush when they’re standing too close to each other, and how he would startle everytime Jinki woke him up with a slight touch on his shoulder.

 

It was cute actually, and Jinki was wondering if Kibum actually has the same feeling as him too.

 

They’re getting closer and closer each day, and both of them were definitely enjoying each other’s company by now.

 

Like now, when they’re just sitting at one of the Italian restaurant in the city. Just enjoying their meal, the two of them. Kibum had ordered a take out for Mr. Oh and his family, the driver was waiting patiently on the car like always.

 

“How old are you again exactly, hyung?”

 

“Twenty six.” Jinki answered. “What’s wrong?”

 

“And… you’re still single?” Kibum asked carefully, a bit unsure of his own question.

 

“Well…” Jinki took a sip of his mineral water and smiled. “Yeah. Why? You must’ve wondering why I don’t have any… relationship now, right?”

 

“It’s just a mere curiosity, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” Kibum felt his face heated once again, and he immediately took a mouthful of the spaghetti in front of him.

 

It was cute to see Kibum’s face getting red.

 

“Hmm, maybe it was because I’m an intel. For me, I think it’s more easy to not have a relationship because I don’t think I could give my partner the affections they deserved.” Jinki continued. “I would be so busy stalking someone instead of having moments with my partner, so yeah.”

 

Kibum nodded and he stared at Jinki with his beautiful feline eyes. “You said… they…”

 

“Ah well… I don’t know if my partner will be a guy or a girl, so, they. Yeah.”

 

Kibum was chewing the food in his mouth faster than before. “You’re okay with both ways then?”

 

“I think so.” Jinki nodded, his food was long gone to his stomach. He usually eats faster than Kibum anyway.

 

Kibum seemed hesitant to open his mouth again, but he did anyway. “So now… since you’re not an intel anymore… are you not… looking for someone?”

 

Jinki could feel a smirk slowly formed on his lips. “Why? Are you interested to be my boyfriend?”

 

It was just a mere tease actually, and it worked, because Kibum’s face reddens, and he slowly hide his gaze from Jinki’s. But what the bodyguard didn’t expect was the sentences that come out from Kibum’s mouth.

 

“Yes… actually.”

 

Jinki froze as he heard that.

 

He didn’t expect it, he was just teasing Kibum. But then he got this ans

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter