Final.

Boys Have Cooties


Little Bae Joohyun is not your ordinary little girl. You see, she's not like those girls who play barbie dolls and houses. She's most interested with playing with boys with toy guns and other boy toys. But even though she acts like a boy, no one can deny that Joohyun is beautiful.

 

This fact is proven by her boy playmates, Sehun and Suho. The boys has the biggest crush on Joohyun. They always give her flowers, their own food and their own toys! They're head over heels for her.

 

Yet, Joohyun never once given them her attention. Until one day, Sehun made a move on Joohyun. With his handsomely rogue features for a little boy, he walked with confidence holding his gift towards Joohyun.


"Hi, Joohyun! Happy Birthday, here's my gift. I know you'll like it, it's the toy car we've been looking at the store last week!" 


"Oh my gosh! This is so cool, Sehun. No! You're cool!" Joohyun squealed with happiness while opening the gift. Sehun, feeling proud by this, felt confident enough to move closer to Joohyun.


"Uhh, what are you doing Sehun?" Sehun closed the gap between them and kissed Joohyun's cheeks. 

 

"...."

 

"Ahhhhhhh!" Joohyun shouted while wiping her cheeks furiously. She's so grossed out of the kiss.


"What was that for Sehun? Get away from me you have cooties! Yuuuck!" Joohyun pushed Sehun away and gave back the toy.


"Now, Joohyun! Be nice to little Sehun here, he's trying to be nice to you." Her mother scolded her but Joohyun was still grossed out.


"Ew, no! He has cooties."


"But Joohyun, one day, you'll like a boy! You'll see." Her father just laughed. "And he will have to go through me first, princess!"

 

"Ew, no! Yuck, I'll never like a boy! Never ever never ever eveeeer."

 

---

 

Joohyun's beauty over the years has blossomed more. She has this aura of royalty, a prim and proper lady. Hair as black as the night sky, lips as red as blood and milky white skin. Her beauty attracted the attention of boys... and also some girls in her school.

 

The latest trend of high school girls is to have a boyfriend. And Joohyun is the only girl who still has no boyfriend. A girl as beautiful as her and no boyfriend? It will surely start up rumors about her. That is why she is so pressured to have one.


"My boyfriend is so sweet he gave me flowers the other day."


"Really?! My boyfriend gave me chocolates."


"We kissed already, it was so romantic!"

 

That's some of the lines she's getting tired of hearing. What's so special about having a boyfriend? I can just buy myself a chocolate and flowers....


"But I can't kiss myself." she thought to herself.


So she promised herself that she'd find a proper boyfriend. But of course, finding a boyfriend is child's play to Joohyun. She's practically the most sought girl in their school after all.


"Hi, Joohyun." 


And there it is, a handsome prince to match the beautiful princess, Bae Joohyun. Taehyung, a senior by one year, has been chasing after Joohyun since her first day at school. He tried everything, yet everything never worked... until now.


"You like me right?" She asked while squinting her eyes at him.


"Uhhh..."


"Great! Be my boyfriend from now on, understand? Good."


That's when the power couple of their school was born.

 

Bae Joohyun and Kim Taehyung, the king and queen. The most beautiful couple of the campus. Almost everyone are convinced that they'll never break up and will be that couple from high school that'll end up marrying each other and have a happy ending.

 

They're always seen with each other. Never can they be torn apart. At lunch they're feeding each other. After school, the cheer captain and the football captain are found in the fields, flirting endlessly.

 

They're the most perfect couple the school had ever seen. Even their own parents approve of each other.

 

---

 

A transfer student has arrived in school. The whole student body is talking about it. Wherever you go, there would be someone talking about a girl named Kang Seulgi. They say she's easily one of the most beautiful girls in the campus right now.


"Have you seen the new student, Joohyun?" Taehyung whispered out of nowhere. Joohyun jumped in fright.


"What the hell, babe! And no, I haven't seen the new student, so what?" Joohyun huffed her reply and folded her arms in front of her chest.


"Are you jealous?" Taehyung teased his beautiful girl friend. Joohyun scoffed. "Please, why would I be jealous. You're lucky that I'm your girl friend."


"Right, right! I'm lucky because my girl friend is you. I love you so much, Bae Joohyun."


As they tease each other endlessly. The transfer student has walked past them, everyone murmuring to each other. Joohyun noticed her, and as soon as Kang Seulgi's face was in sight, they locked eyes.

 

Time went by slowly as they both tried to memorize each other's features. Both felt the electrifying sparks between them but brushed it off. When Seulgi disappeard to a corner, Joohyun felt out of breath. The transfer student was breathtakingly beautiful. She looked innocent but when Joohyun locked eyes with her monolid ones it was so y and seductive. It made the atmsophere feel hotter than usual for Joohyun. 

 

Seulgi after the staring contest with a goddess, felt her heart beat fast. She leaned her back at the wall, while heaving and holding her heart. It felt like she ran a marathon when she only locked eyes with a girl seemingly her age.

 

Seulgi never expected to meet such a beautiful girl like her. And it's making her go crazy. She hoped that she won't see that girl ever again. It's too dangerous to be around her if she's always going to have her heart suddenly beat wildly.

 

When Seulgi recovered, she immediately ran to the classroom.  She just hoped that girl isn't one of her classmates. 

 

---

 

Joohyun hates drinking coffees, but ironically, loves the smell of it. So it's not that surprising that she is working part-time at a coffee shop near her school. For her, this day is going to be same old serving coffees to customers. Same sound of the register. Same sound of the bell by the door. Same people ordering the usual. 

 

Seulgi is standing right in front of the coffee shop. She's not an avid fan of coffee, yet she really needs one to stay awake and do her overflowing assignments. 

 

She opened the door of the coffee shop and went to the counter. Completely shocked, she didn't expect that the beautiful girl from the first day of school to be facing her right now. She began to feel very nervous and jittery.


"Good afternoon! Welcome to Velvet Brews, what can I get for you?" Seulgi is feeling conscious about what to order as she want to leave a good impression. "Coffee, no sugar please."


"Oh, you like your coffee strong? Coming right up, please take a seat, Ms?" Joohyun was impressed! She smirked widely at the person in front of her. Seulgi jumped in joy inside her mind. "Seulgi! Kang Seulgi."


"Okay, Miss Seulgi." Joohyun giggled when Seulgi goofily smiled at her. She felt very relieved that she didn't embarass herself in front of the girl. She then proceeded to sit by the window of the coffee shop where the view shows the beautiful scenery of people walking by the sidewalks. 

 

While waiting for her order, she watched the people walking. There was this certain people who caught her attention though. A tall girl who is currently running like a madman out of the asylum while carrying a red box filled with who knows what. She's being chased by this shorter girl while screaming out loud trying to get back that red box which was actually filled with brownies.


"PARK SOOYOUNG! BRING BACK THE BROWNIES. Wendy-unnie said that we should share that you evil creature."


"YOU HAVE TO CATCH ME IF YOU WANT SOME! That is if you ever catch me!"
 

Meanwhile, a certain barista is feeling impressed of the monolid beauty. She thought that she'd order something sweet, but no! A black coffee without sugar did she order.


As she finished, she walked towards her. "A black coffee with no sugar added, for Ms. Kang Seulgi." She put the coffee on the table full of books and notebooks.


"Thanks." Seulgi then drank the black coffee. And right after the coffee touched her taste buds, she spat it out of . It was a huge mistake ordering it.

 


Joohyun began to laugh. She never expected that someone new would enter the coffee shop and entertain her like this. It would be a new routine for her as this Kang Seulgi would be ordering coffee here from now on.
 


And this is why Seulgi doesn't want to see the beautiful girl again, because she always seem to embarass herself in front of girls that she's attracted to!

 

Yes! Kang Seulgi is attracted to girls. She knows it for a long time now. No matter how hard she tried to like boys, she always found herself attracted to girls.

 

And right now, she's very much attracted to this beautiful barista.

 

Seulgi visits the coffee shop every afternoon after that encounter. The more she visits, the more she interacts with Joohyun. It became a daily routine for them to talk for a bit before Joohyun asks what she orders.


"How's your day, Seulgi?" Joohyun asked Seulgi, smiling widely at the other girl.


"It's fine, how about you? How's your day?" Seulgi asked back, returning the wide smile plastered on Joohyun's face.

 

Joohyun said that her day was great, but Seulgi seems to be out of it. Seulgi was staring right at Joohyun's eyes. Her eyes are so beautiful.

 


"So what do you want for today?" Joohyun asked after a few seconds, trying to snap Seulgi out of it. She didn't notice how Seulgi looked at her. 


"You." Seulgi blurted out without realizing what she said. It wasn't until she saw the blush forming on the barista's cheeks did she realize that she said it out loud. 


"I- mean uhh.... You should decide what I should get for today!" She began to scratch her head, feeling embarassed.


"You don't want me?  I'm offended, Seulgi." There it is again, Joohyun's famous smirk.


"You want me to want you?"


"Maybe. Maybe not. One caramel macchiato coming right up, Seulgi." She giggled at Seulgi and winked suggestively before proceeding to make Seulgi's drink.


"Did she want me to want her?!" Seulgi walked mindlessly to the table near the window. Unknown to her, those two girls a while back are there again. Except this time, they are with another shorter girl and about to enter the coffee shop.


"Wendy-unnie where should we sit? The shop is packed!" The tall girl, Park Sooyoung, whined at the shortest one.


"Yeri ask that cute girl by the window if we can sit beside her." Wendy pushed 'Yeri', the one who was chasing Sooyoung the other day.


"Sheesh guys, what will you do without me? Die?" She grumbled while walking towards the cute girl.


Seulgi's thoughts were broken when someone tapped her shoulder. She turned to look at the person and saw a bright and fresh smile, like a kid. 


"Unnie! Can we sit here at your table with my friends? The coffee shop's packed right now, please?" Yeri blinked cutely at Seulgi. 


Seulgi loves cute things. When she saw Yeri, she wants to pinch her cheeks and when Yeri called her unnie, Seulgi's mind went overload of cuteness. She immediately said yes and smiled widely.

 

They introduced themselves to each other. From now on, 4 girls will take seat at the table by the window of the coffee shop.

 

Meanwhile, Irene was so confused. She felt her heart about to leap out of her body when Seulgi said she wanted her. And she felt disappointed when Seulgi took back what she said. She's confused, this is her first time feeling something like this. 

 

 

 


'AND WHERE DID THAT SUBTLE FLIRTING COME OUT OF MY OWN MOUTH.'

---

 

As a part of her daily routine already, Seulgi sat by the window of the coffee shop. She looked for a certain Bae Joohyun. She found her! But with a tall and handsome guy. 

 

They were laughing and suddenly the guy kissed Joohyun's lips. Seulgi suddenly turned to stone, she felt her heart hurt but paid no mind to it. Instead, she still made her way to the counter and ordered coffee with no sugar. Just because she's feeling bitter today.


"Coffee, no sugar please. Thanks."


Joohyun noticed this and tried to . "Again? I hope you won't spit it all over the place again." But Seulgi only shrugged as a response.


Joohyun made the coffee and brought it to her favorite customer. She sat beside her and stared intently at the person in front of her.


"Are you okay? You seem down today." 


"I... it's nothing for you to worry about. This will pass, don't worry!" Seulgi tried to smile as wide as she can, but it only looked like a grimace.


"Come on, just... tell me. I can keep a secret."  Seulgi, seeing Joohyun's glimmering doe eyes, finally relented.


"It's just... there's this person I like."


"Oh. Okay, go on." 


"I saw this person today, with another person.... I thought that this person is single, but I was so wrong. And the worse thing is, I tried to become so close to her and I actually became attached. Now, I think I'm breaking to pieces, even though I only met this person for a few months." Seulgi sighed after rambling. 


"The person is a girl?" Joohyun blurted out. Seulgi began to choke on her coffee.


"H-how?! I didn't say if it was a guy or girl!"


"Yes you did! You said 'I tried to become close to her'."


Seulgi began to panic. What if Joohyun was homophobic, she'll never talk to her again! Seulgi's eyes began to water.


"Oh! Seulgi, why are you crying?" Joohyun held Seulgi's face wiping away the tears.


"You hate me now, don't you? You're disgusted with me." 


"Nooo! Seulgi don't say that, you have the right to fall in love with anyone. Be it a girl or a boy!"


Seulgi sighed in relief, that's good news right?


"Sooo, who's the girl that you like? Me?"


And Seulgi began choking again. This time she wants to choke to death. 'Dear God, please take me now.'


"Jesus, Seulgi I was just joking. Am I that ugly for me not to pass your standards?" Joohyun grumbled at Seulgi while patting her back. "Who is it really?"


Seulgi was silent for a whole minute. Thinking if she will say the truth or lie.


"Seulgi?"

 

 

 

 

"You."


----

 

Seulgi, after accidentally confessing her love for Joohyun, started running away from the scene of the crime. She was embarrassed because Joohyun only stared blankly at her. Most importantly, she was scared of Joohyun's rejection. 

 

She'd rather not hear the rejection directly so that it would hurt less. Instead she started avoiding Joohyun everyday for a week now. She never went back to the coffee shop and whenever they see each other on campus, Joohyun will start chasing after her and Seulgi would start looking for somewhere to hide and would successfully escape from Joohyun's chase.

 

Joohyun was getting tired of this game. Why was Seulgi so scared of talking about her feelings? Joohyun would never judge her! In fact, Joohyun might have been a little bit attracted to the other girl. Who wouldn't be? 

 

The way Seulgi would light up the atmosphere when she's around the coffee shop. The way Seulgi would unknowingly flirt with the barista and become flustered when she realizes what she's done. The way Seulgi would make a fool out of herself because of her clumsiness... or maybe she's not just clumsy, but extremely unlucky almost everyday.

 

Compared to when she's hanging out with her boyfriend, her heart never beat as fast as when Seulgi's around. The butterflies that people say they feel on their stomach when they're in love, she never believed it before! But now, she feels it. And it was a good feeling. 

 

'Maybe that's why I never took an interest to a lot of boys before. It's because I like girls...no... I like Seulgi!'

 

Joohyun saw the three other girls that Seulgi had been sitting with before she stopped visiting the coffee shop. She approached them thinking maybe that they'd know something about Seulgi's whereabouts. Maybe they could also help her corner the girl.

 

"Hey! You're friends with Seulgi, right?" Joohyun started with a small smile on her face.

 

"Uhh yes, you must be Joohyun. I'm Wendy!" The shorter girl shook hands with Joohyun.

 

"Oh! You're the Joohyun that Seulgi-unnie hides from? I remember that one time she hid behind a small plant. I'm Sooyoung, nice to meet you."

 

"That would have been caught if it wasn't for me pulling her inside the janitor's closet. My name is Yeri, you're beautiful Joohyun-unnie!"

 

That comment made Joohyun's face red as a tomato. Joohyun was amused by their antics. They really are good friends of Seulgi's. Must be nice to be a part of this kind of group of friends.

 

"Nice to meet you all, but you see... I need your help." Joohyun started and sat down beside the three other girls.

 

"She keeps on hiding from me! How can I say that I like her too if she keeps on doing that." Joohyun exclaimed to them.

 

"Give me my ten bucks, Yeri." Sooyoung whispered. But everyone at the table heard it clearly.

 

"Damn!" 

 


"Language!"

 

---

 

Seulgi groaned, she was dreaming about Pringles when her phone suddenly rang loudly. She reached out for her phone and answered it with a loud scream.

 

"What the do you want, Satan number one?!" 

 

Sooyoung snickered. "I'm sorry, unnie! But, Wendy-unnie wants me to call you to join us here at the cheesecake shop. It's her treat!"

 

Seulgi was suddenly energized. When it comes to food, she'll do anything. Especially free food!

 

"Okay just wait for me there! I'll be there in 10!"

 

Meanwhile, Joohyun is talking with her boyfriend....soon to be ex-boyfriend.

 

They were talking about breaking up. Taehyung was actually pretty fine about it. They only ever had a relationship because they were forced to. Irene being the queen bee and Taehyung being the most handsome.

 

They both have the same situation.

 

Taehyung had been secretly head over heels with a boy named Jungkook in the Engineering department. 

 

Joohyun and Taehyung hugged one last time before finally separating ways.

 

As she was walking towards the cheesecake shop, she began to feel very nervous. If someone were to take her pulse right now it would feel just like a sledgehammer. It felt like her heart is going to fall out her chest.

 

A few more steps later, the cheesecake shop is now in sight. She took a look inside and saw the girl who made her feel something after her nineteen years of existence.

 

Seulgi was busy eating that's why she didn't notice that someone came in the shop. She also didn't notice that her friends stood up and left her in the table. She didn't notice that Irene was standing behind her.

 

Until Irene sat in front of her and touched Seulgi's face.

 

"You're a messy eater. Do you know that?" She reached out for a tissue and started wiping the crumbs from Seulgi's lips. If only she could kiss those lips.

 

Seulgi was startled! She was panicking deep inside. What was Joohyun doing here? Was she betrayed by her friends? Was Joohyun going to reject her now?

 

She began standing up but Joohyun was suddenly faster and stronger. She was pushed back down to sit still.

 

"Don't you try to escape from me again! I want to tell you something but you keep on running away from me." Joohyun glared at the bear in front of her. Seulgi could only smile sheepishly.

 

"If you're going to reject me, please say it quickly so I can go now. I don't want this to be long."

 

Joohyun smirked.

 

"Oh my dear Seulgi, who told you that I'd reject you?"

 

Seulgi's eyes went wide all of a sudden. Her heart becoming warm and giddy.

 

"Kang Seulgi, I like you too." 

 

After she said those words, she leaned closer to Seulgi's face and kissed her softly. They both felt like floating and there were fireworks inside their stomach. It felt so good to finally kiss the person you like.

 

The other three girls were giving each other high fives and were jumping up and down as they saw their friend finally kissing the girl she likes. One was actually crying tears of joy.

 

---

 

Little Bae Joohyun is not your ordinary little girl. She never played with dolls. She runs on muds and goes home dirty. She, hates boys! She'll "never ever never ever eveeeer" like a boy.

 

 


Until now that she's older, she never did like one boy at all. 

 

 


Instead she likes a girl.

 

 

 

And that girl is..... Kang Seulgi.