New friend

Signature scars

The big hall is crowded with people when Luhan arrives. He’s amazed at how the museum sets up the lights and display to go with Jeongmoon’s collection concept, highlighting the power of mark-making. Picking up a brochure at the entrance, Luhan begins his tour with pure joy in his eyes. Producing both small-scale prints and large-scale canvases, Lee creates etchings, drawings, and oil works that examine the relationship between negative and positive space and capture a sense of movement. That’s what Luhan loves about this talented artist, her works can help him reach his balance again.

His legs bring him to a large -scale canvas in the middle of the room, he can’t help but step back a few to contemplate the piece of art in front of him. To his dismay, Luhan bumps his back into someone behind so he turns around and says sorry.

“Luhan?”

A familiar voice startles him. Sehun is standing right next to him, the younger one seems to be surprised to see him here as well.

“I don’t know you like modern arts.”

“Well, I…”

Luhan’s reply is drown by the exclaim from a woman approaching them in god speed.

“Sehun ah!”

Luhan recognizes her right away. The owner of this exhibited collection gives Sehun a warm big hug and the young man doesn’t hesitate to respond happily. Luhan never knows his boss’s face can express this much.

“I’m so glad you can make it. You sounded like you couldn’t get your off work on the phone though.”

“Well, big money comes with full responsibility. Anyway I don’t want to miss my dear friend’s opening, you know.”

“Thanks again, Sehun ah. It’s such a great support for me.”

Watching the whole scene, Luhan is torn inside. He really wants to use this chance as an excuse to continue his journey tonight. On the other hand, he’s dying to have a chance to talk to Jeongmoon because oh God, he has so many things to ask about her works. And God may seem to feel his concern.

“Luhan, don’t you want to meet this owner of this night?” Sehun turns to his side, grabs his elbow so that he can move to his level. He can feel his heart slightly change its race but that feeling quickly fades into delight and thankfulness as his boss introduces him to the female artist.

“Doreen, this is Luhan, one of our best painting examiner.”

Doreen?

The mention of unfamiliar name overtakes the Chinese man for a second. Luckily, Jeongmoon steps forward to rescue the moment.

“Sorry, Doreen is my French name.” That earns a small “Ah” from both Sehun and Luhan as the younger one realizes what he just said. “Nice to meet you Luhan.”

Luhan doesn’t have a chance to actually talk to the artist anyway because right after the greeting, she makes an excuse to drag Sehun out and the last thing he overhears is “Guess who’s here to see you.” From what he witnesses, they must be friends back in France or maybe they’re more than just friends, judging how close she is whispering, clinging on him now. It’s none of your business! Luhan mentally slaps himself and goes back to his previous plan for tonight.

Across the room, Sehun is attacked by his long lost best friend Jongin, who claims his short visit homeland is just because he misses Sehun so much. The younger man can’t help rolling his eyes at the exaggerated expression.

“Say Sehunnie, I saw you talked to a cutie few minutes ago.” Jongin smirks, eyes glinting with mischief and Sehun turns to whom his friend implies.

“That guy is older than you, ” he replies

“So what?” Jongin shrugs, tilting his head aside as if he’s contemplating a piece of art “He’s cute.”

Sehun doesn’t need his friend to point that out loud, he himself is quite aware of the fact Luhan looks much younger and naïve than he should be.

“Is he taken?” Jongin seems to not drop the topic any sooner.

“Don’t you dare!” Sehun gives him a sharp warning, earning a nuh-uh in protest “He’s my employee, go find someone else to play your game with.”

“Can I at least talk to him?” His friend pouts, trying to win over this battle and Sehun doesn’t have enough energy to bear a sulking Jongin so he doesn’t waste any second to shoo him away. 

 

**********

 

It only takes five minutes for Luhan to laugh at Jongin’s joke. Maybe it’s because the Chinese man is so easy going or Jongin is just simply that good. Either way, it suddenly makes Sehun feels unpleasant in his stomach. They’re all going out for a drink afterward to celebrate the successful opening of the exhibition and since Luhan is a nice guy - according to Jongin - he invited the older male coming along. They sit opposite each other at a private corner in a club nearby and Luhan’s eyes are gluing to his friends dancing on the floor, bodies rocking from side to side to the music. Sehun blames the light, the loud music and Luhan’s childlike smile that drives his nerve up against his will.

“C’on. Come dance with me.” Jongin rushes back, trying to drag the Chinese one out of his spot but Luhan just waves his both hands to refuse, not forget to flash another encouraging grin toward the younger dancer.

“Do you want to go home?” Sehun finally speaks up, actually he shouts when he notices his employee continuingly steals glance at his watch.

Luhan is taken back at the invitation but then realizes whose home Sehun is saying, he takes a look at the dancing floor, feeling sorry for leaving soon without saying goodbye.

“Don’t worry. I’ll text them later.” the younger male stands up, waggles his finger to motion him to follow outside.

Sehun offers him a ride home and even though the Chinese one keeps saying no, it’s okay, I can take the subway or call for a cab, he ends up sitting on the passenger seat in his boss’s car. The whole drive remains in silence and Luhan takes his chance to glance over his left, secretly checking on the young man who’s behind the wheel. Apart from golden ratio face, what catches his attention most is Sehun’s sharp jaw line which makes his face a real piece of art. The “Paris conversation” early this morning out of nowhere pops up inside his head. His thought brings him back to many years in the past, far away from his happy life here in Seoul. Luhan barely thinks about it. To be honest, he tries hard to busy himself so that he doesn’t have time to look back. After all, those are bittersweet memories which will damage his wound all over again.

“So you and miss Lee are?”

Luhan breaks the quiet atmosphere and regrets right after the question slipping out of his tongue because why on earth he has to start the conversation with a personal one first. Lucky for him, Sehun doesn’t mind at all. Still keeping his eyes on the road ahead, the Korean man chuckles.

“We went to college together in France and she had a studio in my neighborhood back then.”

That earns a “oh, I see” and another long pause.

“Jongin seems to be a nice guy.” Luhan hits his dead end by mentioning the last name comes to his mind, doesn’t know why carrying a normal talk with Sehun is this damn hard.

“Yeah, he is.” aside from his playboy personality Sehun mentally adds. As much as he loves his friend (as a friend), sometimes he just can’t stand the unhealthy relationships the mentioned man remains. He quickly changes the subject before the Chinese one has a chance to ask more info about the dancer “Ah, by the way, I don’t know you are into modern art.”

Luhan smiles big, turning his face to the late night view outside the window. How can he put that easy for the other one to understand his mixed feelings.

“I enjoy the dualities between top and bottom, left and right, light and dark, you know. I really enjoy gestural drawing as it gives me permission to be free just by looking at.”

And that’s the end of their talk until the car stops by the sidewalk in front of Luhan’s apartment building. Luhan unlocks the seatbelt and steps out, pondering on the idea whether he should invite his boss for a cup of tea to thank him for the lift or it’s too late and kind of weird to ask someone to his apartment just for tea. Sehun seems to notice his hesitation to leave but just plays along with it and bids him a goodbye

“See you tomorrow.”

Luhan silently reminds himself to buy the younger one a cup coffee the next day.

 

*******

 

It turns out his thank-you-for-driving-me-home coffee doesn’t get to Sehun’s hand. The art director has been out for his own business for two days straight. At least that’s what Luhan believes because whenever he goes up stair for lunch break or has a discussion with Yixing about making contact with the list of collectors Sehun gave him, his boss is nowhere to be found. He checks on Sehun’s office twice by accident, even stays a for little bit longer working in the basement hoping they come across each other like the last time but the whole area is deep in darkness as he walks out of the museum.

Morning sun ray beams directly at his face, wakes him up on a shining Saturday. Luhan squints his eyes, covers his head with the blanket to be in his dreamland for five more minutes and then stirs to get up. He doesn’t have any plan for the weekend so there’s no need to be in a rush. His phone suddenly vibrates on the nightstand signaling someone has just sent him a text. To his surprise, that someone is Jongin, Sehun’s best friend from France. That’s odd, Luhan thinks because as much as he recalls, he didn’t give his number to the tan skin man that night.

From: Unknown number

Hi Luhan hyung, It’s me Jongin. You remember me right?

And being a polite man as always, Luhan taps on his phone to save the contact and replies

To: Jongin

Hi Jongin. Of course I remember you. Sorry for not saying goodbye the other night.

His phone vibrates again in a blink.

From: Jongin

Ahhh, ain’t you the sweetest!!! It’s okay though, Sehunnie called me. Anyway, you can redeem yourself by having lunch with me ^_^

It takes him for a good minute pondering on the out of blue suggestion/invitation. They just met once and it doesn’t like they have anything in common. Jongin is a successful choreographer who owns a studio in Paris. The tan skin man also declared that night that he was not into this kind of art. He just visited the exhibition to see Sehun and support his friend, Jeongmoon, as well. However, since he doesn’t plan to do anyway, and Jongin’s personality seems bright and funny, Luhan guesses it’s not a bad option to spend time with a new friend.

They agree to meet up at a coffee shop named Thinks nature in the university district of Hongdae. Luhan found out about this café existence by accident when he was wandering around this neighborhood with Yixing. He was taken by surprise at the gorgeous design, relaxing atmosphere with plenty of greenery and an earthy interior. Hanging on the walls were artistic portraits of various animals and landscapes which reminded him of his homeland.

Jongin is playing with his phone when Luhan gets there. The younger one grins delightedly as he sees the other approaching his spot.

“You came early, Jongin-ssi.”

Luhan flashes a greeting smile, earning a pout from the man sitting on the other side of the table.

“Call me Jongin. It’s not like we’re stranger anyway.”

Luhan chuckles, well it’s true but it’s not like they’re friend either. An acquaintance, maybe.

“Alright, Jongin. Don’t take me wrong but I didn’t expect your texting me cuz I didn’t remember giving you my number. Or did I?”

The Chinese needs to solve this query as it remains a mystery weighing on him the whole drive here. That earns another pout from the younger male.

“Can we at least order first? I’m starving.”

And it seems like the waitress is on Jongin’s side as she chooses the perfect timing to show up with the menu and a hospitable smile. The café’s menu features a varied selection of beverages, which are all made with natural sweeteners.

“If you’re hungry, try their waffles, they are particularly tasty.” Luhan recommends without looking at the menu and turns to the waitress “I’ll have a Chocolate Frapuccino, thank you.”

Jongin studies the listed drinks carefully “For me, a berrynana waffle and a latte please.”

Right after the waitress takes their orders, Luhan stares at the tan skin man again, waiting for his answer for the early question.

“You promise not judging me?” Jongin finally gives in.

“I’ll try not.”

“I got it from Sehun. But you cannot tell him about this.” He pleases with the best puppy eyes he can act out.

“I don’t get it” Luhan tilts his head in confusion “Mr. Oh gave you my number?”

“No, that stupid brat refused to so I went through his phone without his knowing, so pleaseee don’t tell him.”

Jongin explains and the Chinese male can’t help but palming his face in disbelief

“Why do you have to go through this much trouble?”

“I don’t know. Maybe because I like you.”

What??

The younger one quickly adds with a mischievous grin as he notices Luhan’s jaw drops at the sudden confession “As a friend, hyung.”

The food and beverages are brought to their table just in time and Luhan can’t be thankful less since he actually feels flattered and doesn’t know how to respond to that saying either. They take their time to enjoy the drink and music after the awkward moment. Jongin is the first one to break the silence between them as he guesses he needs to clarify himself more.

“Actually, I’m thinking of moving back to Korea. And since you’re nice, I think it’s good to have a friend like you.”

Luhan can feel the sincere in the younger one’s voice and that makes him even more flattered.

“Well, I don’t know what to say. But I guess I feel okay to be friend with you too.”

And just like that, they start talking comfortably about anything comes across their mind whereas the Korean male sharing his plan of opening a studio in Seoul and the other one giving advice about the location and stuffs. Then Jongin tells the Chinese man how amazing life in Paris is and in return, Luhan draws a beautiful picture of living in Seoul. It turns out even though they have less priority concern in common, it’s beyond expectation that they can carry the conversation on and on. To Luhan’s curiosity, Jongin reveals the friendship between him and Sehun. They have a long history from high school classmates to roommates and ultimately best friends who know every secret of each other.

“I felt like being betrayed when he took the job in Seoul, you know.” Jongin recalls, taking a gulp of water to swallow the last piece of waffle in his mouth “I thought he would never leave Paris.”

“He loves living there that much huh?” Luhan chuckles

“Nope, because he’s still waiting for his mysterious muse to show up again.” the younger one emphasizes.

“His muse?”

“Yep” Jongin leans back on his chair with a satisfied smile after finishing his beverage “He told me that person was the reason why he decided to be an artist. It happened before we met and he really kept it to himself.”

Luhan sinks into his own thoughts as his boss’s story clearly makes him feel a little bit upset. He heard many tales about how an artist could be in an obsessive relationship with his muse back in college and to be honest, he’s jealous of them. Luhan used to paint a lot in the past but he never had one. Even so, the fact that he quit working as an artist was another story. 

The Chinese doesn’t realize that he has been drifting away from their conversation until Jongin knocks on the table, looking at him fascinatingly.

“Hyung? Earth to Luhan hyung!!”

Luhan startles a little then tries a strained smile to cover his distraction

“I’m sory, you were saying?”

“Sehunnie got your attention already?” the younger one laughs mischievously, noticing a slight blush on the other’s cheek. He’s not surprised at all. In contrast, he has been witnessed a lot of people confessed their feelings to Sehun but never once did his friend respond. Even though Sehun didn’t say it out loud, Jongin knew his heart was saving a room for a particular person to fulfil. And to keep his new friend with the cutest baby face he’s ever seen from disappointment, he quickly changes the subject.

“You know what. It’s enough about that little brat. We should do something fun.”

And Luhan can’t help but agree immediately with a big grin.