Somewhere they belong

Against The Fate - The Beginning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After messing around for a while, Anir led her little attendant to the nearest pub. 

"So what's new?" she asked after chugging down a beer. "Whew~ Nice." 

Heejun took a gulp as well and brought out a palm-sized notebook from his pocket. "This morning... someone assassinated you..." He had a deadpan expression as he observed Anir's reaction.

Anir: "..."

"Then why is your expression like this?"

"Because they were from our side."

This time Anir had a deadpan expression.

"You know, the kids are very... passionate about you. They couldn't tolerate someone else impersonating you, even if it was your uncle's strategic plan. They thought those substitutions were not worthy. When I asked their reason, they said this morning's actress was too ugly."

"From what I see, most of my substitutes in the capital are killed by our side rather than by enemies, huh?" [Did uncle postponed my return because of this? If so, does he suspect someone from the guild to be untrustworthy?] Even though Heejun's explanation sounded strangely logical considering the youth's worship for her, her uncle prepared her substitute candidates with thorough care. There shouldn't be that many who can differentiate them. [There also could be someone else using this excuse to off me.] It seemed her suspicion of some of the guild's elders might be well-founded.

Heejun had an embarrassed expression. But he still mumbled incoherently, "If I was there, I would do the same, too."

"Of course, you would," Anir also mumbled. She even thought this 'innocent' excuse was started by the teenager before her. She knew this self-promoted Fanclub president of her was strange when he first proposed to her to have a photoshoot just so the guild members could appreciate her beauty and great poise.

While drinking and eating, Heejun further reported on many happenings around the political and the criminal world. 

When they finally finished addressing important issues and a bit of gossip, a lot of time has unknowingly passed. It was already dark when they came out. 

Heejun said as he stretched, "I'll deliver your order tomorrow." There was a satisfied kitten-like smile on his face. 

 

 

On the way back, Anir had to challenge her sense of direction with her hazy mind. All the alcohol that she consumed had finally got to her brain with the fresh air.

“Burst teabag in the cup… I should have returned a little... earlier. It’s all Heejun’s fault that he… he kept giving me drinks,” she mumbled to herself while trying not to sleep outside in the wild. She covered herself with her cloak tightly despite feeling hot. “It would be bad… if I catch a cold.” She chuckled softly, “It’s a relief that I remember important things even when I’m drunk. I'm awesome… Why’s that church so far? I’m… walking and walking.” 

She kept talking to herself on the way. She was barely keeping her eyes open and on top of that, the ground seemed to be swaying under her feet. She started to feel annoyed for a second then decided it was too tiring and casually found a tree to sit under.

Anir rested for a bit and took a deep breath. Her body had become so heavy that she was feeling like a dead horse.  

She sat in silence for a while, just looking at the sky. Suddenly realizing how lonely she was. With no home, no family, no friends.  

Getting choked up, her tears started to stream down. She didn’t even try to wipe her tears. She just sat there, blanked out, looking very much lost.

 

 

After going back to the church, Sehun sat there for a long time, frowning. He occasionally touched his chest on where his heart was located. "This is not ideal..." he whispered. Despite him acting ignorant all the time like he didn't realize anything, he had to face the truth now.

It was the first time he almost lost control of himself. When Anir leaned into him earlier, his heart started beating like crazy. 

[What should I do?..]

 

 

He unknowingly spent a lot of time, lost in his thought to even realize the sun had already set. When he finally came to, Anir still hadn't come back. He was annoyed. "Where is she? Doesn't she know that the forest is dangerous during the night?"

He manipulated wind, trying to catch her scent but to no avail. She must be quite far.

[Did she decide to spend the night in Dragonville?] he started fidgeting as he thought. [A lone young girl staying one of the inns there?.. She will be fine. She seemed to know of the danger around there... She'll be fine.] He blankly stared in the town's direction.

In the end, he couldn't stop worrying. He intended to act out his new role seriously. At least until Anir found her foot in life. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter