The New Power Forward

Student of the Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I hope everyone is staying safe at their homes. A little longer update this time around. I tried to use two different fonts to signify present and past instances. Italics are predominantly for thoughts or a past memory recounted in a longer past instance. Hopefully it won't be too confusing. LOL!

Jennie always found the New York weather fickle. For a moment it would be warm and sunny, allowing her to take off her heavy coat and put on her sunglasses but the next second water droplets would fall from the sky. The girl reminisced the days her life was as uncertain as the weather in New York. Uncertain times but she would change nothing from her experience.

Except for maybe one thing, Jennie thought as she watched as the raindrops patter on the glass windows of her office while taking a sip of her coffee. Recently she had been constantly catching herself losing her grip on reality and drowning herself in the memories of her past. The frequency almost scared the girl and made her question why now. Was it because her twelve years worth of hustle was paying off and she was more stable? More time to contemplate other aspects of life outside of work?

Man, I really need to ask Sara for more work. I’d rather work than think about anything else, Jennie sighed while massaging her temples. Leaving all relations was never easy. Starting from scratch wasn’t easy. Dearly missing the love of her life was not easy. Did she miss me too? Does she hate me now?, Jennie contemplated as she saw a lightning strike one of the skyscrapers at a distance. It was thunderstorming on that fateful evening as well. The evening where in minutes she had lost it all. Instinctively, her hand reached for her lower left ribs. Her scars had healed over the years but somehow the memories were still fresh as if the incident occurred just yesterday. Would she still hate me if she learned what happened that night?

The earthy aroma of the coffee suddenly smelled like mud as memories from the fateful evening flashed through Jennie’s mind.

The ground felt cold and Jennie couldn’t help but have her small frame shiver. The punches, kicks and rain knocked her down. “Jennie-ah, tsk tsk. I am disappointed that you underestimate me. You thought that you’d sneak around and I would never get a whiff of it? I banned you from entering my territory.” The tall figure rambled as he crouched to meet Jennie’s eyes. Her vision was blurry as fatigue consumed her body from the incessant beating. “Jennie-ah”, He called with his uncharacteristically sweet voice. “Do you know what a lion does when a rogue enters his territory?” The man waited for a second with his eyebrow raised waiting for the girl to answer. “You probably didn’t know since you entered my territory so let me educate you.” The man grabbed Jennie’s left leg which made her flinch. “He first roars as a warning challenging the rogue that if he dare enter the land, there will be a fight. Young and naive rogue lions often think the world of themselves and overestimate the pride of a lion and they… enter. The lion will allow no enemy to breathe on his territory and he would tear through the young rogue's flesh, leaving it for the scavengers to feed on” He continued as he dug his nails into Jennie’s soft skin to make his point.

The girl wanted to scream after all there was only so much she could take in a day. "Stop this, jaebal", her mind begged for the man to stop but all wind had been choked out of her body to string any words together.

“Stop it, now! If you continue, her body will not be functional? We should go. Our job here is done”, another man standing at a distance spoke.

The man crouching next to Jennie roughly grabbed her jaw, “My dear it seems like I have to go for now. Would you be fine here in this warehouse? I guess you could use some solitude for all the thinking you’re gonna do, correct? I am sure you’ll make a wise decision considering what’s at stake or should I say, who is at stake” In a whiplash like motion, the man pushed her jaw against the ground knocking her out cold.

“Jennie! Jennie! You zoned out. Again.” Sara snapped the cat-eyed girl out of her memories.

“Oh sorry! I was just-”

“Drowning yourself in the past? Reliving your regrets? Re-calculating all the what ifs?” Sara reprimanded fiercely to which Jennie only nodded timidly like a child caught stealing cookies. Sara released an exasperated sigh. It hurt to see her boss and close friend force herself to be a prisoner of the past.

“Jennie.” Her voice softening significantly compared to her previous remarks. “It wasn’t your fault. You were eighteen alone and scared just like any other teenager so give yourself a break. You did what you believed was correct. It’s done. It’s in the past. Look at how much you have grown after that decision. Would you think you could’ve built this company if you weren’t as determined after your experience? It hurts me, Rose and Lisa to see you like this so turn that frown upside down, please?”

Jennie gave her assistant a small smile not only signaling that she was okay but politely pleading with her eyes to drop the topic. “So what do you have for me, Sara?” The boss questioned mustering artificial chirpiness.

Sara took the hint and quickly switched the gears, “Oh yeah! From top to bottom: McKesson project’s operational budget, Fast connect’s patent infringement and the signed engagement letter for Mr. Im’s pharma company.”

“Perfect. I was waiting for Mr. Im to countersign the agreement. Did you have any difficulties?”

“Difficulties? Did you just ask me this question? Are you serious? Hold on, let me ask John to get my scroll that lists the inordinate amount of questions I received from Mr. Im’s office. Every line of that engagement letter was questioned except for the fillers and linking verbs. Our attorneys spent 34 hours explaining to his team about all the details. Hope you are prepared to sign the hefty invoice from the attorneys firm.”

Jennie chuckled at her assistant’s antics. “I did not expect anything less from their company. You did great job sealing the deal with Mr. Im’s firm. Send Matthew and his team of lawyers boxes of donuts from Donut pub along with a handwritten thank you note.” Sara nodded scribbling notes on her iPad. “Bring some for the team here as well. I am sure they will enjoy good donuts and coffee.”

“Wow! What a thoughtful boss. Can I add Bagels and hotdogs to that as well? As you know, the team really worked hard for this project.” Sara made an innocent face and blinked her eyes at Jennie. The cat-eyed lady’s vision already transformed into narrow slits by the remark.

I cannot tell if these employees have stomachs or black holes. Our monthly food expense is higher than our server costs. Jennie sighed but gave in to her demands. “Do a poll and get more food items. Whatever the team wants and make sure people with special dietary restrictions-”

“Dietary restrictions are taken care of. Yeah, yeah, I know, Jennie. I am your assistant after all. I run this office.” Sara chuckled.

“Yah, yah, YAH! Run this office. What do you mean? How can you even say that in front of your boss? Waah. I am spoiling you guys too much.” Jennie puffed her cheeks after she finished rambling.

“No no. I don’t think you are spoiling us enough. But you are certainly on the right path so keep doing what you were doing.” Sara teased while giving a little thumbs up.

Jennie jokingly shook her head and waved at Sara dismissing her from the office, “Ok. Now off you go. You have to buy people their favorite donuts.”

“I cannot wait for my Boston cremes. By the way, I have emailed you the basketball tickets from Mr. Im. New York Knicks versus Los Angeles Lakers starts at 7pm. It’s at Madison Square Garden and I have notified Paul to pick you up around 6:20 from your apartment.”

“Thank you, Sara. Is it just Mr. Im and the Vice-president?”

“I believe so. He might have a couple other guests but none from the business community. His daughter goes to Cornell for Law so she might join which is good. You’ll get a break and hang out with people of your age. I can check with Mr. Im’s assista-”

“Nah. It’s all good. I just needed to know if their Board was invited as well.”

“Take a night off, Jennie. I am sure Mr. Im is too.”

“Will do, mom.” Jennie shook her head as Sara left the office.

New York Knicks versus Los Angeles Lakers.

----

“So which basketball team is your favorite?”

“Los Angeles Lakers all the way” Jennie answered in a beat while giving her signature gummy smile.

“Lakers are great. I love the Golden State Warriors. Curry and his three pointers man.” Seulgi announced while pretending to take a three-pointer as they walked to the school gym.

Jennie chuckled at her roommate’s actions.

“Coach Seo, is a Lakers fan as well. At least you’ve got something to break the ice with him.”

“I am still in awe that we will be coached by the legendary Seo Jang-Hoon.” Jennie knew he was one of the top players in South Korea during his time. He had retired in his late 30s and had turned into a business man ever since. Jennie wasn’t expecting him to reconnect with the world of basketball after his success in business. “Isn’t he like a super rich? Why is he a coach at our school?” Jennie curiously enquired.

“Jennie, now that is a story both interesting and one I am embarrassed by.”

“Spill the tea, Seulgi”, the cat-eyed girl quipped an eyebrow.

“Unfortunately, there isn’t much tea here. It is public knowledge for the past five years that despite St. Lawrence’s elite school claims the basketball team isn’t at its peak performance,” Seulgi explained. “Korea International School has been kicking St. Lawrence’s for the past 5 years and successfully bagged the title of “St. Lawrence’s rival school”. Needless to say, Professor Yang who doesn’t enjoy the bitter taste of defeat, realized that it was about time he invested more resources in the basketball team to restore their faded glory.” Jennie nodded urging her roommate to continue.

“Plus, Principal Yang is good friends with him and probably asked for a favor. Coach Seo probably got bored of his business life and wanted to reconnect with his true passion- basketball. I guess a win-win for both principal Yang and coach Seo,” Seulgi explained as continued as they climbed the stairs to the front door of the school gym. “He is a person of few words and has a stern face. Regardless of his tough exterior, he is caring and a fatherly figure for the team. Just make sure you bring your A game at every play. He can be quite intimidating if someone slacks. He is a tough teacher but cares for the team and genuinely wants us to grow so that is all that matters.”

Jennie gave a confident nod. She did not mind harsh criticism. Her life had a bigger purpose and to achieve that she had learned to put her ego aside and churn the criticisms into productive skills. Every person has to make a choice as there is room for their either ego or wisdom to grow. “I actually like working with tough coaches who push my boundaries to foster growth.” Seulgi chuckled at her roommate’s overachiever spirit.

“As expected of Kim Jennie.”

“Yah! What do you mean! You’ve known me for four days now and you are already psychoanalyzing me.”

“I have the third eye, Jennie. I can peer into people’s souls.” Seulgi said as she closed her eyes and folded her eyes to do a little Namaste. Jennie chuckled at the girl’s dorkiness as they made their way to the school gym reception.

“Sunmi-ssi. Annyeonghaseyo. How are you today? Don’t you have soccer practice today?” Jennie chirped as she saw her other friend.

“Jennie, I am doing well. Ahh! I didn’t think you’d remember my schedule. My practice is after my evening shift today”, Sunmi replied with a growing blush on her cheeks. She wasn’t expecting the girl to be paying attention to small details when they chatted at the dinner yesterday.

“Ah! Have fun at your soccer practice, fighting!”

“Gomawoyo Jennie-ssi. You have your first basketball team practice today, right? Fighting!” Sunmi turned her palms into a fist and mustered up some aegyo to cheer Jennie.

“Waah! You guys do know that I am still here, right? Sunmi unnie, why would you not wish me? Now that Jennie is here, do you not find me charming any more?” Both Jennie and Sunmi chuckled at Seulgi’s pouty face. She can be such a baby.

“Seulgi-ah, my admiration for you might cost me my life someday. Don’t you think that is a hefty price to pay?” Jennie who seemed to have read between the lines snickered at Sunmi’s comment, receiving glares from Seulgi. Sunmi had filled Jennie in with the context at the dinner.

-

“Sunmi-ssi, why do you keep teasing Seulgi with the cheerleader capitan?,” Jennie inquired. Sunmi who was drinking water choked on the unexpected question but quickly gained composure.

“So you noticed, eh?”

“To be honest, Sunmi-ssi. you weren't exactly subtle.”

Sunmi threw her head back laughing. “It is because everyone except those two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter