Chapter 7

Metallic Hearts

Shocked at Jonghyun’s admission of the accident, Jinki felt rooted to the spot. Continuing to just hold his husband as he comforted him, Jonghyun felt a rush of thoughts consume his mind. The first thing he had to do was to ensure that Jonghyun got the best treatment possible. Seeing how scared and adamant Jonghyun was on hiding things, he probably would not have got the opinions of as many doctors as he should have. He tightened his hold around Jonghyun, his heart getting heavy with each thought. If Jonghyun’s nerves started to shut down, it would mean that he would lose him. That was something Jinki definitely wouldn’t risk. Though they had their arguments, Jinki couldn’t imagine even a day without Jonghyun in it. 

Jonghyun felt as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He looked up at the warm smile, as his own smile faltered a bit. He hadn't yet disclosed the actual reason for the mixing up of the chemicals. He didn't know if he even had the heart to do that because if Jinki knew, it would tear him apart and shatter their little world to pieces.

Jinki, on the other hand, had vowed to do everything he could, to ensure that Jonghyun stayed happy. He had even started coming home as soon as his shoot had finished for the day, instead of spending a few hours with the cast and others like the used to. Luckily for him, everyone understood his urgency and applauded him for being so loving towards his husband. The public had started to go crazy and were super curious to see Jinki's husband for the first time. Jinki was going to be presented with the 'Best Actor' award for his previous movie, and the whole country was expecting him to bring his elusive husband. When he'd read Jonghyun's manual, he had seen a sentence that had broken his heart, that Jonghyun didn't think of himself as enough, not capable of being loved anymore, not deserving it and maybe that was also the reason why Jinki never took an active part in introducing him to his circle. Why had he never bothered to observe Jonghyun's gradually reducing self-esteem?  The first thing Jinki now needed to do was to let the world see Jonghyun. They needed to see the person that he loved more than life itself, the most beautiful, the one with such a gentle and kind soul that he called his, forever. They needed to see what an amazing person Jonghyun was. Heck, Jonghyun needed to see it too.

**************************************************************************************************

A week had passed since then and truth be told, Jonghyun was enjoying the attention he was getting from Jinki. Jinki would come in early, shower him with gifts and kisses. It was like they were back in their early years of dating and he was not going to complain as he was enjoying every second of it. He was going through their mail and noticed Jinki's face on a magazine, he picked it up and started to flip through to the pages that contained the interview with him. 

Q. Will you be bringing your ball and chain with you to the awards ceremony?

A. Ball and chain? I'll be bringing my lover with me. My husband of all these years is my first love and I'd be crazy to compare him to a ball and chain. He's the only person who has always been by my side through everything, and I'm very lucky to have him with me.

Q. Why have you never brought him to any of the awards or premiers?

A. For privacy. I didn't want him to get mobbed when he went outside.

Jonghyun felt the tears sting his eyes as he gently caressed Jinki's picture. He had been wrong to think that Jinki didn't care for him, as much as he did. Jinki hadn't mentioned the awards and Jonghyun continued to hug this little secret to himself. The awards ceremony wasn't for another month, which gave him plenty of time to figure out how to act surprised. 

The surprise came a few days later when Jinki brought tickets to Europe, with them travelling two days later.

"Oh? What is this about?" Jonghyun asked, looking at the flight itinerary Jinki had placed in his palm. "I didn't know you had an oversees shoot," Jonghyun mumbled as he went through the flight details. His eyes widened when he saw his name printed on the top. "Wait, what is this really about?" he couldn't help the smile on his face when he saw Jinki grin at him. Jinki's smiles were always so contagious.

"Well, you can call it a second honeymoon of sorts." Jinki grinned, leaning down a little to kiss Jonghyun's cheek.

"What about the movie?" 

"As of today, it has officially finished filming."

"Really?"

"Yes, my love." Jinki softly kissed Jonghyun, as he pulled him into his embrace.

Jonghyun pulled back, "Jinki, wait. Two days to pack isn't enough at all!" he exclaimed.

"Pack what you can and we'll shop as we travel. Vienna, France, Switzerland and Spain, you can shop to your heart's content."

This was something new for Jonghyun who had become used to staying home or in his lab. The last time they'd travelled somewhere was doing their honeymoon.

Jinki smiled at the joyful expression on Jonghyun's face, and once again, wondered why he had taken so long. The real objective of this holiday was the fact that they were going to meet one of the best doctors in the field, and he had already faxed a copy of Jonghyun's medical records to him. Their flight went rather smoothly, with Jonghyun spending most of the time just sleeping across him. Using his fingers to trace the outline of Jonghyun's features, Jinki fell more in love. Hopefully, they wouldn't be too late, and this doctor would be able to cure Jonghyun. Once they checked in to their hotel, they spent their day sightseeing and taking lots of pictures and goofy selfies.

*****************************************************************************