F I NA L

Boy With Luv

It started as a normal day. He was on his way to the coffee shop before class - not something out of the norm for him. He was going to order an iced Americano, also not something unusual for him. Yoongi loved routine - it made everything easy and stress free. So when he went up to the counter to order his drink, he was speechless when he didn’t see the face of his close friend, but rather a stranger.

 

A female stranger.

 

A gorgeous female stranger.

 

A gorgeous female stranger that was making his heart beat faster than what was considered normal. He put his hand on his chest, physically able to feel the rapid beating.

 

“Good morning,” she brightly smiled at him. “What can I get for you?”

 

“I, uh,” Yoongi said, trying to get his words together. “Uh, iced...iced Americano, please,” he managed to spit out. He gave his card to her for her to ring up, but he couldn’t bring himself to look away from her. She was just...breathtaking. He almost hated how fast his drink was ready, not wanting to leave her.

 

‘You don’t even know her, stop being such a creeper.’ he thought to himself, turning away with his drink. Once he was out of the coffee shop, he looked back inside, seeing her tend to another customer.

 

“Is this what love at first sight feel like?”


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

“So how has work been lately?” Yoongi asked his roommate, Hoseok. He was supposed to be working on an assignment for class, but the girl that he saw in the coffee shop last week was still on his mind. He had been the coffee shop a few more times at the same time in hopes that he would see her again, but no luck.

 

“Not particularly. We do have two new workers though since we’ve been getting busy with finals coming up soon,” Hoseok commented, working hard on his assignment.

 

“Oh really?” Yoongi cheered mentally. “How are they?”

 

“I don’t really know, I met them once on their first day to help train, but after that, no idea,” he said. “Why do you care so much?” he asked, turning to look at his roommate.

 

“Just trying to get to know how your day has been,” Yoongi mumbled, frowning at his friend.

 

“Hm, if you say so,” Hoseok said, giving him a weird look before returning to his work.

 

It was hours later when Yoongi was lying on his bed. ‘I just want to know her name,’ he thought, ‘that’ll ease my mind, and then hopefully I’ll forget about her,’ he nodded, sitting up. Reaching for his phone, he dialed Hoseok’s number, hearing the phone ring in the next room.

 

“What?”

 

“The two new employees at the coffee shop…” Yoongi started. “What are their names?”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m just curious about them. I want to have a name if they mess up my orders because they’re newbies,” Yoongi explained, hoping his half-assed answer would suffice.

 

“....Jeon Jungkook and Yoo Sumi,” Hoseok replied with a sigh. “I don’t know why you’re acting so weird lately but I hope their names help with whatever you’re trying to do,”

 

“Thank you, Hoseok. You truly are my best friend, I love you,” Yoongi exclaimed, his face almost hurting from how big his smile was.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Go to bed now,” Yoongi could hear Hoseok chuckle after hanging up, so he wasn’t entirely suspicious of anything yet.

 

“Yoo Sumi,” Yoongi whispered.


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

Yoongi didn’t want to seem like a stalker. He wasn’t trying to follow her around. But when his study group moved to the coffee shop where Hoseok - and Sumi - worked because it was easier for everyone, he couldn’t help but cry for joy. However, it had been two weeks since he first saw her, and since then, he had only seen her another three more times.

 

Today’s study group was canceled as Hoseok was sick, and other members had other meetings so they decided to reschedule, but Yoongi had a deadline for an assignment and the coffee shop was a change of environment from his apartment. He was disappointed to see that Sumi wasn’t there, but nonetheless ordered his usual iced Americano and sat at a table while waiting for his drink. He pulled out his laptop and plugged in his headphones, opening the music piece that was due in three weeks. He had the actual chords done, but it was the lyrics that were stumping him. He couldn’t find inspiration in anything, and was close to ripping his hair out. He let out a groan, hitting his head against the table.

 

“You shouldn’t do that, you’ll hurt yourself,” a feminine voice spoke up. Yoongi looked up slowly to see the face that belonged to the voice.

 

Sumi.

 

She was clad in black jeans and a white t-shirt, the brown apron all the other workers were required to wear wrapped around her waist. She was holding a tray that had his drink on it, looking at him, with a slight smile on her lips. “I’m sure no matter how hard the assignment is right now, it isn’t worth ripping your hair out,” she added.

 

“I...uh,” Yoongi was flustered. “Thank you for the drink,” he said, reaching for it. “And uh…” he said. ‘You’re messing this up, dude,’ he was thinking to himself, feeling the warmth as his cheeks were turning red.

 

A giggle. “You’re cute,” Sumi said, winking at him before turning away towards the counter.

 

Yoongi was in a daze, watching her walk away as his heart was beating as fast at it did whenever he saw her. “You’re cute,” Yoongi smiled to himself, replaying her words in his head. He looked back up her, talking to a mother with her young child, at the counter. He smiled at the sight before turning back to his laptop, only to get frustrated when no lyrics would come to mind.


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

“There’s something going on with you,” Hoseok said a few nights later. The two boys were sitting in their apartment, drinking beer and eating fried chicken. “You’re always smiling, which I personally find a nice surprise. You’re in this constant daze, and then shake your head and laugh. There are only two possible situations,” he went on, pointing a wing in Yoongi’s direction.

 

“Oh really?” Yoongi said, amused at where this conversation could go. “And what would those two situations be?”

 

“You found out you’re dying and completely lost it,” he started, “or...you’re in love,”

 

Or you’re in love.

 

“Well, I’m certainly not dying, so you don’t have to worry about finding a new roommate,” Yoongi chuckled.

 

“So you’re in love?!” Hoseok exclaimed. The two men have known each since their high school days, and he had never seen Yoongi even develop a small crush. “Who is it?”

 

“I’m not in love,” he shook his head, “but there’s this girl that I can’t get out of my head ever since I saw her,” he smiled, thinking of Sumi. “It’s nothing much, I’ll probably get over it in a few days,”

 

“I have known you for years and I’ve never seen you show interest in someone,” Hoseok said, leaning closer to the other man. “Just tell me who it is, or else I’m going to follow you around and annoy you until I figure it out,”

 

“Well, I wish you good luck on your quest, Hobi,” he chuckled, getting up to walk towards his room. “Good night!”

 

“Hey, I thought we were best buddies!”


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

“Is it her?” Hoseok whispered, point to a girl that was leaving the classroom.

 

“Nope,”

 

“Can I get a hint?”

 

“She’s not in any of my classes,” Yoongi answered. “In fact, I’ve never even seen her campus, so you can stop skipping your classes,”

 

“No campus, so where else do you go?” Hoseok thought out loud before checking his phone. “, I’m gonna be late for work!”

 

“Wait up!” Yoongi called, chasing after his friend. “I’m going to be there to work on some stuff,” The two friends walked at a steady pace to the coffee shop 15 minutes away from their campus, Yoongi sitting at his usual table, Hoseok going behind the counter. Yoongi wasn't lying, he did have actual work to do. “Stupid lyrics,” he muttered under his breathe, looking at the screen as the chords were playing through his headohones. From the corner of his eye, he saw a cup of his usual order placed on his table and he smiled seeing that Hoseok had sent it for him. “Thanks, Hobi,” he said, not looking away from his screen as he took a sip.

 

“Sumi,” a voice answered. “And you’re welcome,” she smiled, causing Yoongi’s eyes to widen.

 

“I’m sorry, I thought you were my friend,” he explained, his face turning pink.

 

“No worries,” she said, leaning forward to take a peek on his screen. “You’re a musician?”

 

“Aspiring musician still in school who can’t come up with lyrics for his final project,” he corrected, taking a long sip of his coffee. “I can’t find inspiration in the things that I usually would, and it’s getting a little annoying, this is due in two weeks,” he explained. He usually didn’t speak to other people regarding his music, but there was something about Sumi that made it easier for him.

 

“Well, maybe you need a new muse,” she said, sitting at the table across him. “I’ve noticed you in here a few times, but it seems like you were just looking at your screen each time. Close your laptop and just study the people that come in and out of this place. Maybe you’ll find something in a stranger that sparks an idea for you,” she said, flashing a bright smile before getting up. “Just try it, you never know,”

 

“Yeah, maybe,” he said, slowly leaning to close his laptop. He leaned back against the chair to watch Sumi walk back to the counter. He was taking her words into consideration and was studying the people that would come in, but his eyes would always divert back to Sumi.

 

“How’s it coming along?” Hoseok asked, sitting with Yoongi’s table while he had his break, placing two cups of iced tea on the table.

 

“I’m taking a break to find new inspiration,” Yoongi answered. “Looking at the same screen everyday isn’t helping me. I just need to take a break from this for a few days,” Hoseok nodded, agreeing with his friend, before launching into a conversation about one if his classmates.

 

“You’re not paying attention to me, dude, what are you looking at me?” he said, looking at what Yoongi was preoccupied with. “You like the new part-timer!” he gasped, everything clicking. “That’s why you were asking what their name you, you slick person!” he laughed.

 

“Shut up!” Yoongi half-yelled, half-whispered. “Don’t announce it everyone!”

 

“That’s why you’ve been spending so much time here,” Hoseok leaned back in his chair. “And here I thought you missed me,”

 

“What’s there to miss about you?” the older male grumbled, pulling his phone out of his pocket. “Go back to work,”

 

“Fine, fine,” Hoseok chuckled. “Don’t worry, you can count on me,” he winked, walking away before Yoongi could question him. He shook his head at his friend before turning his attention to his phone, taking a sip of his drink.

 

“Need company?” he looked up to see Sumi sitting in front of him, her usual brown apron replaced with an oversized flannel. “Hoseok Oppa said you could use some company, and I’m done with my shift,”

 

“Ah, sure,” Yoongi nodded, looking at the counter where Hoseok was winking at him, giving him a thumbs up. “I’m Yoongi,” he introduced himself, realizing that in the past few weeks, they never formally introduced themselves.

 

“Sumi,” she smiled, extending her hand forward, gesturing him to shake it. He complied, noticing how soft her hands were. “I’m a junior at Seoul Institute of Arts, film major,” she said.

 

“Oh, I go there too!” Yoongi answered surprised. “I’m a senior, music major as you know,”

 

“So this assignment that you’ve been doing…”

 

“It’s a final assignment for my class, and if I don’t turn it in, I might not graduate,” Yoongi said. “But I took a break and studied the people, it was a good change of view,” he smiled at the girl.

 

“I’m glad I could be of help,” she said, taking a sip of her own drink. “If you don’t mind, can I hear what you have so far?”

 

“Uh…” Yoongi hesitated. He had no problem sharing his music with other people once it was completely dine and he was fully satisfied with it, but this was an unfinished piece.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to, I was just curious,” she said. The last thing she wanted to do was make him uncomfortable.

 

“No, no,” he said, gesturing for her to come around. “It’s fine, it’s just that there are no lyrics, so it’s all instrumental for now,” Sumi dragged the chair until it was next to Yoongi and took the headphones that he offered, popping one into her ear while he had the other in his ear. He his laptop and the two was hunch over together, listening to it.

 

As Yoongi pressed play, he noticed that the girl next to him had her eyes closed, bopping her head over so slightly, her fingers tapping against her knees. She just looked so effortlessly…

 

Breathe taking.

 

“Wow, you’re so talented,” she said, turning her head to took at the boy next to her. “I love the beat, and classic choice with the piano! It sounds very refreshing, perfect for the summer,” she said. “Like a summer love song!” she exclaimed, her eyes twinkling the slightest bit.

 

“Love song…?”

 

“Yeah, like a boy falling in love with someone who just completely changes his view on life, and makes him a happier person, and wants to spend the rest of his life with that person,” she went on, and Yoongi thought about her words from before.

 

“Maybe you’ll find something in a stranger that sparks an idea for you,”

 

“Hey, I have to go now, but thank you for your help!” Yoongi exclaimed, quickly gathering his things before leaving money on the table, rushing out to go to his studio, ideas bursting in his head.

 

“Nice meeting you, Yoongi-ssi!” Sumi called, waving at him as she watched the boy run out, a smile playing on her lips.


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

Two weeks passed in the blink of an eye.

 

It was the morning of the student showcase, the day where he had present his song to his professor, classmates, and many other people. He wasn’t exactly nervous about presenting it to them, his nervousness was specifically directed at one person.

 

“Don’t worry about, I switched her shifts so that she would be working in the morning and be free in the evening,” Hoseok had assured him days ago, but Yoongi kept pushing off the deed of asking her until the last minute. He had been standing in front of the cafe for 30 minutes now, getting weird looks from the people passing by, before he finally found the courage to walk in. Just like he was told, he was greeted by Sumi at the counter.

 

“Ice Americano?” she asked, already getting his drink ready. Yoongi nodded, unable to find his words. “On the house,” she said, smiling at the boy as she placed the cup on the counter.

 

“Are you busy tonight?” he said a little too loud as a few of the people sitting at the tables looked over. “I was wondering if you’re free tonight,” he said, a little quieter this time.

 

“Nope, I get off my shift in two hours and then I’m free,” she answered.

 

“There’s the student showcase tonight,” he started. “And I’m going to perform and I was wondering if you wanted to come since you did kind of help me with the song but it’s totally fine if you're busy or don’t want to come and - ”

 

“I would love to come, Yoongi,” Sumi smiled, placing her hand on his. “I’ll see you on the stage,”


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

Yoongi lied.

 

He was super nervous.

 

Was it too late to back out?

 

No, because he would fail and wouldn’t graduate and then Sumi would think that he was a failure and -

 

“Hey hey!” Hoseok said, grabbing yoongi by the shoulders. “Don’t overthink this, you’ll be fine, trust me!” his words went in one ear and out the other before Yoongi could fully understand them. “Yoongi, buddy, look at me,” Hoseok said, looking at his best friend in the eye. “Repeat after me. ‘Everything is going to be fine,’”

 

“Everything is going to be fine,” Yoongi said.

 

“‘I’m going to kick ,’”

 

“I’m going to kick ,”

 

“‘And I know that my confession to Sumi is going to be perfect,’”

 

“And I know that - hey!” Yoongi came out of his daze. “How do you…?”

 

“I’m your best friend,” Hoseok chuckled. “You can’t keep secrets from me. Now go on, it’s your time!” he gently pushed Yoongi in the direction of the stage, who looked back once more. “You got this!” Yoongi smiled back, his confidence coming back before walking across the stage, sitting at the piano bench and leaned to bring the microphone closer to him.

 

“Good evening everyone, my name is Min Yoongi and I am a senior in the music department,” he said, his eyes looking through the crowd for the one person that he really wanted to share his song with. “This song that I wrote it titled Boy With Luv, and is a refreshing summer love song about a boy who falls in love with that one person who changes their life for the better,” he paused, his eyes stopping on Sumi, sitting in the front row, a bright smile on her lips. “I hope you all enjoy it,” He cracked his fingers and neck, sitting up straighter and adjusted the microphone before he finally started to play.

 

I’m curious about you, how’s your day?

Oh, tell me

What makes you happy instead of okay?

Oh, text me

 

Yoongi took a quick glance at Sumi, his own lips mirroring her smile before turning back to the piano.

 

Oh my, my, my, oh my, my, my

I’ve waited all my life

I want to be with you through everything

Oh my, my, my, oh my, my, my

Looking for something right

Okay, now, I kinda get it

 

Yoongi didn’t really know Sumi that well. They’ve only had a few conversations, but there was something about her from the first day that he saw her that drew Yoongi closer to her. There was this force that he just couldn’t control, it was pushing him towards her, and he couldn’t fight it. He was done being alone and looking at the darker parts of life.

 

She had that ability to change him without realizing for the better.

 

From the moment I met you, ya, my life was all you, ya

You’re the star that turns ordinaries into extraordinaries, oh yeah

One after another ay, ay, everything is special ay, ay

The things you’re interested in, the way you walk or talk, and

Every little trivial habit of yours

 

He nodded to Hoseok who was standing on the side of the stage, coming out with a microphone in his own hand before the latter started rapping as well.

 

Everyone says that I used to be so little and now I became a hero

I say that something like destiny was never my thing

World peace

A great order

I just want to keep you safe

Boy with Luv

 

He patted Yoongi on the back, sending a wink at the audience that was more directed for Sumi before walking off the stage and Yoongi finished his performance.

 

I want something stronger

Than a moment, than a moment, love

Love is nothing stronger

Than a boy with, than a boy with luv

 

He stood there for a few moments as the audience stood up to applaud and cheer for him. The anxiety from before was starting to settle again when he looked into the audience to see that Sumi was no longer in her seat. ‘You came on too strong and messed up, Min Yoongi,’ he thought to himself, his smile strained as he bowed to the audience before walking off towards Hoseok.

 

“Hey the audience loved it!” he congratulated the older man, who just nodded.

 

“Have you seen Sumi?” Yoongi asked, his voice laced with worry. “She left right before the end, I think I came on too strong,”

 

“I didn’t see her,” Hoseok said, hoping that his acting skills wouldn’t fail him now. “Go check the courtyard, I’ll look into some of the rooms,” he said, watching Yoongi already run in the direction of the courtyard.

 

He’s on his way! - Jung Hoseok

 

Perfect! Thank you Hoseok Oppa! - Yoo Sumi

 

Hoseok chuckled, pocketing his phone. “Young love,” he said to no one in particular, facing the stage to watch the next performance.


 

《 》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》


 

Sumi sat on the bench, tapping her fingers against the wood, until she heard footsteps behind her. “Hi, Yoongi,” she smiled at him, patting the spot next to her.

 

“I saw you left at the end of my performance, I’m so sorry that I made you feel uncomfortable, that wasn’t my intention and I - ” he rambled, only stopping when he felt Sumi’s lips press a soft kiss against his cheek.

 

“You’re cute,” she giggled, leaning away from him. “I actually really loved your performance. No one has ever written a song about me, it was quite romantic,”

 

“It wasn’t about you,” Yoongi quietly said, turning his blushing face away from the girl.

 

“You don’t need to lie, Yoongi,” she said, moving closer to him so that their hands were touching the slightest bit. Yoongi couldn’t bring himself to look at the girl in her eyes, but that didn’t stop him from interlocking his fingers between his own.

 

“I’m happy that you liked it,” he said, smiling softly. “I have a difficult time really discussing my emotions, and I know that we haven't known each other for that long, but I really like you,” he said, shifting his body to face her. “You have this way about you, you make every bad thought disappear and somehow turn my frowns into smiles. You were my muse for this song, and to be honest,” he paused, looking up at her, “you’re my muse to be a happier person. You’ve changed me into someone happier,”

 

“I didn’t change anything about you, Yoongi,” she said, squeezing his hand. “I just reminded you of what a beautiful place this world can be,”

 

“God, do you realize how breathtaking you are?” Yoongi sighed.

 

“Kinda, this weirdo just wrote a song for me, performing it in front of the entire school,” Sumi jokes.

 

“Hey!” the older male pouted.

 

“Don’t worry,” she said, leaning in to press a quick kiss against his cheek. “I’ll be your girl in love,” she winked, leaning her head on his shoulder.

 

“Why, thank you, that'd be my greatest honor,” he smiled, pressing a soft kiss against her forehead.

 

“You’re welcome, my boy with love,” she smiled back, shifting comfortable as the two sat on the bench in the quiet night, hands interlocked, as the stars shone brightly above them.

 

‘You’re really making me a boy with love, Yoo Sumi.’