Drowning In You

Drowning In You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warm waters, clear skies, gleaming sun. A perfect summer day. Jungeun sits, focused, perched on her elevated lifeguard’s chair, eyes continually scanning the horizon for possible danger. 

The school year just ended a week ago, and the summer is coming in full force. Consequently, masses of crowds are hitting up the beaches to cool down and relax under the prowess of the Los Angeles sun. 

Jungeun is for the most part a member of the quiet crowd, only really letting herself let loose with people she’s completely comfortable with, like Jiwoo, her best friend. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she sees a group of guys and girls make their way towards the ocean, bare feet trudging through the sand. The golden locks of Jung Jinsoul was relatively easy to spot; aside from her hair the girl was made to stand out in the crowd. Always been one of the most popular at their high school, Jinsoul’s aura was one that was almost impossible to ignore. Jungeun unlike most, isn’t head over heels in love with her at first sight, but damn , anyone with properly working vision will find it very hard to deny the fact that Jinsoul just radiated beauty. 

Jinsoul’s group finds a spot among the crowd, laying down beach towels and umbrellas for the day. At one point they all go out into the ocean together, and although Jungeun finds herself quite comfortable where she is in the social ladder, she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to be in the popular crowd, to always exude confidence seemingly without any effort. Unlike the tropes found in movies and novels, the popular crowd at her school were actually a genuinely nice bunch. They’re not mean, nor bullies. A couple of them, Haseul and Choerry, actually already acknowledged Jungeun as they passed the lifeguard station, waving and saying hi to her. 

The group took a break from the water and had some lunch, then some plopped on the sand to tan, while others started setting up for a volleyball game. Out of the corner of her eye, Jungeun sees Jinsoul approach the water again, clad in her blue bikini. She goes into the water a few moments later, completely submerging herself before turning on her back, just floating in the water. 

Jungeun continuously scans the horizon, looking for any anomalies. Some children running around near the shoreline, several teens playing in water. Everything seems to be in place, but Jungeun catches her breath, feels her heartbeat go into a sprint when her eyes scan the ocean once more, and she realizes the golden hair of Jung Jinsoul was nowhere to be found. All of a sudden, she finally sees Jinsoul, seemingly trashing in the water. Jinsoul was much further out than where Jungeun saw her floating earlier, and considering the distance and the risk at hand, Jungeun immediately springs to action. People around them starts noticing that something might be wrong when Jungeun jumps off the lifeguard’s chair, before shouting towards the other lifeguards for help. One of them helps Jungeun get the jet ski to the shore, before Jungeun hops on, speeding towards Jinsoul’s direction. 

“Holy ! It’s Jinsoul, she’s drowning!” At this point, a crowd starts to form. Jinsoul’s group of friends are sent into a panicked frenzy. 

By the time Jungeun gets to Jinsoul the other girl was already unconscious, and Jungeun had some difficulty getting her on the jet ski. She drives as fast as she can, the machine almost just skidding on top of the water. Jungeun can hear her heartbeat drum in her ears, the adrenaline rushing through her veins. 

“Jinsoul, please.” Jungeun mutters under her breath. As she got to the shore, a lifeguard helps Jungeun bring Jinsoul to land, while another lifeguard shouts at the crowd to move out of the way. Jinsoul’s friends were in the front of the crowd that has formed, clearly afraid. Jinsoul was incredibly pale, her lips missing the normally pink hue it usually has. Jungeun gets right to work, starting with chest compressions followed by mouth-to-mouth resuscitations. If it was a different situation, Jungeun would be absolutely shattered at the idea of her lips even coming anywhere near the other girl's, but right now, all she could think of is saving the other girl's life. 

Please, please, please. 

After seemingly forever, Jungeun has lost all semblances of time, Jinsoul gasps for air, before beginning to cough repeatedly. Jungeun collapses on the sand, chest heaving. She feels like she forgot what breathing felt like. Jinsoul's friends begin to crowd in over the girl, who was still definitely in a state of shock, with Haseul putting a towel over her shoulders and patting her back for comfort. 

Like usual, Jungeun blends into the background amidst the commotion, with everyone checking up on Jinsoul. Haseul looks her direction, mouthing a “thank you”. Jungeun gets assisted by a co-worker, and she settles in at the lifeguard station, setting herself down on a chair while holding an ice cold water bottle to her head, trying her hardest to not think of the what ifs. 

What if she was too late? What if she didn't see Jinsoul? And a million more other thoughts. She sighs, and tries to focus on the present and what's in front of her instead. 

Jinsoul, still beautiful, the color coming back to her cheeks. She's here, she's breathing, she's alive, and that's all that matters. 


"Wake up! A friend is here to see you!" Jungeun's mom shouts, barging in her room. 

Jungeun groans, only realizing how pained her muscles were when she tries to move to get up. Her biceps are toast, and even her back hurts. Must be from the chest compressions from the day before, as she's expected. 

She was taking her sweet time, when what her mom says finally registers. A friend? Does she mean Jiwoo? But if it's Jiwoo it would be her barging in her room, not her mom. 

Jungeun throws on a sweater over her sleep clothes, still too drowsy to even think about who might be seeing her right now. 

There were a few possible candidates, but Jungeun gasps audibly when she opens the door and Jung Jinsoul turns around, her hair swaying, eyes glimmering in the sun, smile bright and wide. 

"Hi. Can I come in?" The blonde girl asks. Jungeun is like fish out of water, lips moving but words not coming out as properly as she would have liked them to. 

Jungeun realizes she hasn't even brushed her teeth, haven't even washed her face—she might still have eye boogers for all she knows, oh my God, but Jinsoul is still waiting for a response, her eyebrows raised at Jungeun. She holds the door open, coaxing Jinsoul to come in. 

"Uh, please take a seat anywhere. I will be back." Jungeun makes a dash up the stairs and back to her room and in a whirlwind fashion, puts on more acceptable clothing, quickly brushes her teeth and washes up, before taking one final glance at the mirror and a big breath in for courage. 

Jinsoul's eyes and small smile were already on Jungeun right as she makes herself visible from the top of the stairs, and she feels slightly uncomfortable being watched, specially by the most popular girl in school. 

Has she even looked her direction before? 

Jungeun awkwardly sits down on the couch adjacent Jinsoul. A beat of silence, then Jinsoul says, "Sorry if I surprised you or bothered you, but I just..." Jinsoul pauses, and Jungeun feels her nervousness— a truly rare sight as Jinsoul looks down at her lap, fingers playing with each other. She looks up to meet Jungeun's gaze, "Thank you." 

Jungeun can see the sincerity in the blonde girl's eyes, and she can feel her heart swell. "It's my job." She didn't mean to sound so cold, but that's the best she can do. 

Jinsoul gives her a small smile. "I know but still, I just got so scared, thinking.." the girl pauses, and Jungeun notices her eyes starting to water, and her chest tightens. Jinsoul looks down, obviously trying to regain her composure. Jungeun stands up to grab a Kleenex box, before coming closer and offering it to the other girl. 

Something tells Jungeun that Jinsoul hasn't really talked to someone about the events from yesterday, and it's easy to tell the girl is still shaken. She sits next to her, although at a fair distance. "It's okay if you want to cry. " 
 

Those words seem to trigger a switch, because right when they leave Jungeun's lips, Jinsoul's tears come unstoppable, and her shoulders start to shake, head still down buried in tissues. 

She still feels awkward, but if Jinsoul needs comfort and although they're really just acquaintances at best, Jungeun is willing to try. So slowly and unsurely, she reaches out with a hand and hesitantly pats Jinsoul's back. 

After several minutes, Jungeun feels the other girl's breath start to slow, and retracts her hand. Jinsoul looks up, and wow how unfair is life, really, because Jinsoul technically just ugly cried but she still looks gorgeous . 

"Let me get you some water." Jungeun says, and was in the middle of standing up when she feels warmth on her hand, as Jinsoul reaches for her, tugging her back down on the couch instead. 

Before Jungeun can even let herself think about the blonde girl holding her hand, Jinsoul already gives something even greater to think about. Jinsoul lurches forward, arms going around Jungeun in a firm hug. Jungeun, surprised, is frozen, her arms just hanging limply on her side, utterly useless. She feels Jinsoul move slightly before hearing her whisper into her ear, "Really, thank you for everything.” 
 

Jinsoul finally lets her go, and just looks at Jungeun with her still slightly red eyes and nose, her smile so radiant it was almost blinding. Jungeun feels her lips tug upwards; it was impossible not to smile back. 
 

Jungeun eventually walks Jinsoul out onto her porch, still a bit shocked at how her Saturday morning started. They bid goodbyes, and Jungeun was just watching Jinsoul walking away when the girl turned around, gaze locked on Jungeun. “I hope I see you around more!” 
 

Jungeun isn’t quite sure if she wanted that to be first and last time the blonde girl pays her a visit.

 

(If she wasn’t in denial, then yes, she would like to see her a lot more).

 

—— 
 

“Oh my god! What?! She went to your house?!” Jiwoo almost shouts, making Jungeun regret her decision to have this conversation at this very public cafe. 
 

“Can you speak any louder?” Jungeun sneers, effectively quieting the other girl. “But yeah, Jinsoul did. She thanked me and hugged me after.” 
 

In the most dramatic fashion, Jiwoo clasps her hands to her chest, “She what?!”

 

“If you don’t quiet down, I will leave you right now.” 
 

“Fine, geez relax. I just got excited for you.” Jiwoo then starts grinning, teasingly. “So, how does it feel like to be hugged by the one and only Jung Jinsoul?” 
 

Jungeun didn’t say anything right away, but feels her cheeks heat up instead. She’s unintentionally replayed that moment several times over after it happened, and she hates her brain for it. 
 

“Or I guess I should say the hug was whatever since you guys already kissed.” Jiwoo exclaims, smirking, and Jungeun wants to strangle her. 
 

“We did not kiss!” Jungeun replies, and now she’s starting to become the loud one. 
 

“Whatever, even if you are just trying to save her life, your lips did touch.” Jiwoo shrugs, before sipping her cup of coffee. 
 

Jungeun shakes her head. Technically, Jiwoo has a point, and she’s also thought about that over and over again. But, no, she’s not gonna count giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitations to Jinsoul as her first kiss because what the hell, that’s kind of creepy and definitely does not count. Point is, she’s over it, and she’s not gonna let herself overthink anymore regarding anything Jinsoul related. 
 

Or that’s what she tries to tell herself anyways. 
 

Jungeun is immediately pulled out of her reverie when she hears the bell above the door to the cafe jangle, and Jiwoo in front of her whispers, “Speaking of the devil.” 
 

Right when Jungeun sets her eyes on the door, there she is, Jinsoul herself, clad in a simple tee and high-waisted shorts looking like how she always looks — a head turner no matter where she goes. 
 

Jungeun is annoyed at how aware she is of her heart picking up its pace, and she forces herself to pry her away from the blonde girl as she approaches the counter to order something. She sends daggers Jiwoo’s way, and with a threat says in a just audible tone, “Be quiet, sit still, and don’t say anything.” 
 

It’s not that she’s scared of Jinsoul, she never was. So why are her palms sweaty, and why is she so nervous? In a perfect world, Jungeun would very much prefer it if she camouflages with the potted plant right behind her, but of course the world is flawed, and is almost always against Jungeun. 

“She’s coming this way,” Jiwoo whispers, eyes wide, and Jungeun knows her best friend’s sight is following Jinsoul. 
 

“Hi!” Jinsoul greets, as she stands in front of their table. Jungeun looks up, looking a bit dazed before saying a small greeting back. 
 

Jungeun glances at Jiwoo who seems really surprised but pleased at this sudden intrusion. “Jinsoul, this is my best friend Jiwoo.”

 

Jinsoul enthusiastically offers her hand to Jiwoo and Jungeun is most definitely going to continue with her plans to strangle Jiwoo later when she hears the next words come out of . 
 

“Jinsoul, do you wanna sit with us?” 
 

—— 
 

After getting over her initial nervousness at the presence of Jinsoul, the impromptu hang out actually was quite nice. They’ve been going to the same high school for three years, and this has been the first time both Jungeun and Jiwoo have really talked to Jinsoul, who always just felt like some sort of enigma. 
 

Jungeun almost wishes Jinsoul was mean, was a bully, like how popular girls were usually portrayed— it’ll make it easier for her to move on with her life and push down this feeling of wanting to get to know her better. But of course, Jinsoul had to be funny, intelligent, and down to earth. The conversation was mostly led by Jiwoo and Jungeun mainly observed as the other two exchanged anecdotes and such. 
 

Immediately after Jinsoul stood and said she had to go, Jungeun can’t help but think about wanting to hang out again, but she quickly brushes that thought aside. 
Trying not to think of Jinsoul is really becoming a favorite past time of hers.


—— 

It’s been almost two weeks and Jungeun hasn’t seen nor heard from Jinsoul after their coffee chat. She can’t say she’s disappointed since she didn’t expect anything from the beginning, but as much as she hates to admit it, the want to get to know the blonde girl more is like an itch needing to be scratched. 

It’s very hard to ignore. 

Nonetheless, her summer has been pretty eventful, hanging out with Jiwoo and a few more friends, surfing when she can, and just doing whatever she wants to do. It gets her mind off the matter at hand. She’s out on her porch, dressed in a red sleeveless tee and shorts, sun gleaming brightly, waxing her surfboard. 

She wonders if she can go for a surf today, the  clear blue waters almost calling out her name. Focused on her surfboard, Jungeun jumps as she hears someone approaching. 

“Hey Jungeun!” Her eyes widen seeing the girl that is now in front of her. Is the world playing some sick game? 

Jungeun turns away from her board, steps unsure as she walks towards her. “Hey,” she hesitates, “What brings you here?” 

The sun makes Jinsoul’s hair seem like it’s glimmering and it’s quite the sight. Jungeun tries not to stare. 

Jinsoul, eyes bright and smile wide, yet nervousness coating her words replies, “Are you busy?” 

“No, not really.” She swallows the lump in . 

The blonde girl’s smile gets even brighter (if that was even possible). “Would you like to get some coconut pancakes with me?” 

Jungeun wanted to turn around, to make sure Jinsoul is asking her specifically. Maybe there’s another person behind her. But of course there’s no one there. It takes her a few moments to gather her thoughts, and she realizes how Jinsoul’s eyebrows have turned inwards, worry beginning to appear on her flawless face. Jungeun’s instinctual response was to raise her hand with a finger pointed at her chest, “With me?” 

The blonde girl laughs and Jungeun feels her heart throb, “Yes, you .” 

Jungeun stops her face from breaking out into a full pledged grin; for some reason she unconsciously tries to act cooler with the other girl around. “Sure, that’s fine with me.” On the inside, she’s most definitely trying her hardest to not lose all her marbles. 

As they walk to Papa Joe’s together for said pancakes, steps light, Jinsoul’s laughter and voice filling her ears, Jungeun still insists she doesn’t have a crush, she swears she doesn’t. 

(But come on, who is she kidding?) 

——


“So, do you surf a lot?” Jinsoul states, before chewing on a mouthful of pancakes. They’re delicious, Jungeun has to admit. 

Ever since they left the house, Jungeun has been feeling antsy, nervous. She tries very had to not stutter. “Oh, uhm, yes. Well, I’ve been able to do it more this summer, but not too much when we have school.” 

“I’ve always wondered how it feels to ride a wave,” Jinsoul looks up, flashing a genuine smile. 

“It’s amazing,” Jungeun’s eyes were on her pancakes as she tries to cut them into smaller pieces, “It’s so peaceful and there’s just something about the water. I can take you with me, sometime.” Even Jungeun surprises herself with the sudden invitation, but when she looks up and sees how excited Jinsoul becomes at the idea, she doesn’t regret saying it anymore. 

“I’d love to! But, maybe after some time.. the water still scares me.” Jinsoul looks away, her eyebrows turning inwards again, fear fluttering on her gentle features. 

“Don’t worry,” Jungeun swallows the lump in and goes on with what she wanted to say, maybe she’ll regret it later, “I can just save you again.” 

Instantaneously, Jinsoul’s gleaming smile was back again and Jungeun can’t help but return it. “I’ll hold you to that then.” 

As the day went on, Jungeun realizes how easy it was to drown in conversation with the other girl. It’s kind of unfair, how perfect other human beings are— I mean, does Jung Jinsoul even have a flaw? Jungeun almost wishes she does. Sure, Jinsoul is giving her attention now, and it’s lovely, but when school starts, will it be the same? Or will they just pass each other again in the hallways, back to square one, back to strangers? 

Jungeun forbids herself to think too far ahead. For now, she’ll just enjoy it, just go along with the waves. 

—— 

She hates it, how expectant she’s become. Most days, she hangs around their front porch, waiting, wanting Jinsoul to drop by randomly as she’s been doing several times now throughout the summer. They mostly just talk and eat, grab coffee, and sometimes Jiwoo comes join them. It’s always been Jinsoul initiating their spontaneous hang outs, because well, Jungeun feels like she doesn’t have the right to. Jinsoul probably has a ton of other friends she can spend time with during the summer, and Jungeun doesn’t feel right asking her to open up a little bit of her time for her. So she’ll gladly take the crumbs, the small pockets of time when Jinsoul makes the choice to pay her a visit. 

Jungeun was reading a book, window adjacent to her. Not that she’s expecting anyone nor waiting for anyone (a lie), but it has been almost a week, and she’d love to spend time with Jinsoul again. 

As if on cue, the unmistakable bright blonde hair comes into view, and Jungeun stands up so quickly, it almost makes her dizzy. After collecting herself, she hurriedly opens the door, before the taller girl can even ring the doorbell. 

The other girl laughs, “Eager, aren’t you?” Jungeun ignores the comment, but her cheeks feels warm. Damn it. 

Jungeun closes the door behind her, and they both take a seat on the stairs to Jungeun’s porch. “What’s up?” Jungeun starts. 

“So, Sooyoung and the other girls are planning to throw a back-to-school party this Saturday, and I would like it if you can come.” Jinsoul says carefully, as if almost walking on eggshells, as if she’s already expecting Jungeun to say no. 

And she’s not wrong, because on instinct, Jungeun didn’t wanna go. She’s never been to a proper house party before, and it intimidates her. In her mind, she’s already fully convinced that parties are not her scene. But at this point, she already figures out that she has a weak spot for the blonde, and she hates it. 

To make the offer more enticing, Jinsoul quickly adds, “You can bring Jiwoo!” 

Jungeun meets her eyes. That was a mistake. Because when she sees how enthusiastic Jinsoul is about this, well how can Jungeun say no? 

“You came all the way over here just to invite me?” For once, Jinsoul seems to be the one that gets shy, and Jungeun feels her heart pick up pace. 

“Well, I don’t have your number.” 

“Oh.” For some reason, Jungeun just realizes this. They’ve hung out a few times, but they’ve never exchanged numbers before. Jungeun thinks back, and it seems like the opportunity to bring up the topic has always evaded them. 

“So, can I have your number?” Jinsoul laughs. 

As they exchange numbers, Jungeun thinks of the possibilities. Should she actually text Jinsoul first? Will she be a good texter? It seems like this new development just gave her more stress and anxiety. But she’s happy, feeling akin to unlocking the next level in a video game.   

“I gotta go,” Jinsoul exclaims before returning Jungeun her phone. “Text me?” 

Jinsoul stares right at her eyes, almost piercing, and Jungeun would never be able to get herself to say no. 

—— 

She’s plopped on her bed, a staring contest with the screen of her phone. Fingers tracing the keyboard, words being typed and deleted, again and again. What should she say? What do cool kids say? 

She was so close to giving up and has decided to just go to bed, when a notification pops up, and immediately, Jungeun’s heart is hammering in her chest, drier than before. 

Jinsoul: so, you’re gonna come right? 

Jungeun internally groans. Her capacity to say no is really just draining by the second. 

Another message pops up. 

Jinsoul: pleaseeeeeeeee, it’ll be fun i promise! 

Jungeun: fine 

Jinsoul: yay!!!!!! It’ll be soo fun I’m so excited for you to come 

Jungeun unconsciously breaks into a wide smile. She wanted to sleep early that night, but before she knows it it’s already 3am and they’ve been texting non-stop about everything and nothing. 

She goes to sleep, heart light, and although she won’t admit it, she’s actually looking forward to Saturday. 

(Or at any chance to see the other girl again, honestly.) 

—— 

The party was located at Sooyoung’s house, an upperclassman that is the perfect embodiment of the word “cool”. One of the member’s of Jinsoul’s usual campus posse. The house is modern, tall windows all around, and people were already littered all throughout, bodies coming in and out of the front doors, music vibrating in the background. 

Even Jiwoo is getting intimidated, her and Jungeun both standing near the front door, courage lacking to actually go inside. They’ve never been to a house party, especially one like this before and nerves are getting to the both of them. There’s that feeling that everyone’s looking at them, like they’re the unfitting outcasts that do not belong. But of course, everyone’s most likely already too drunk to even notice. 

Thankfully, their savior, in the form of Ha Sooyoung emerges, and both Jiwoo and Jungeun were shocked as she herself came towards them. Amidst the greetings of “Hey Soo!” and “Great party, Sooyoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter