Turnover

A Little Bit of Comfort

a/n: before I forgot, this was set on a sort of medieval period so there are no technology whatsoever.

 

 

---

Doyoung eyed the mark on his wrist, something that he was given as a promise. He felt nostalgic remembering that day but it left a bitter note on his tongue knowing that the promise had been broken. It was his fault though, allowing himself to be imprinted at such a young age, blindly trusting the words of a newly presented alpha who promised to be his mate come time. He closed his eyes and held back the tears, this was not the time to be emotional. He heard a knock and Renjun entered, bowing to Doyoung who smiled at the precious omega.

 

 

“You called for me hyung?” Renjun asked and Doyoung nodded and let him sit on the chair in front of him.

 

 

“Have a seat Renjun, I would like to discuss the turnover protocols.” Doyoung explained and Renjun gaped at him.

 

 

“Why would it commence hyung? Is Taeyong hyung stepping down?” Renjun asked, well aware of the protocols in the palace as he has learned it since he could remember.

 

 

“Yes, Mark had been summoned.” Doyoung explained.

 

 

“Why?” Renjun was smart and inquisitive, a trait that Doyoung loved about the omega who had been strong and ruthless for his status. He had handpicked Renjun himself when he they were searching for worthy candidates to be Mark’s adviser and Doyoung had not regretted the decision whatsoever.

 

 

“Yuta hyung had left, and we both know what entails of it.” Doyoung’s words were clipped but Renjun understood what was not explicitly spoken.

 

 

“It’s…” Renjun chose his words, he didn’t want to cross a line and hurt someone. “unfortunate.” He settled and looked at Doyoung in the eyes, and saw sadness way above everything else. “How long?” Renjun asked and Doyoung shook his head.

 

 

“I am not sure, three months at least.” Doyoung replied and Renjun nodded. “We’ll start tomorrow Renjun, rest up.” Doyoung instructed and Renjun nodded.

 

 

“You too hyung, you deserve it most.” Renjun said and bid his goodbye.

 

 

Doyoung smiled bitterly and turned to his desk, pulling the drawers and taking out a journal he had kept for a long time. The pages were worn out but it kept Doyoung’s thoughts and emotions that he could not tell others. It was an item so dear to him that he cared for it like his own child. He took out a quill and turned to a fresh page and with graceful ease, wrote down his thoughts that bothered him.

 

 

It has been done. What I fear had come and this time, it will bring forth my own demise. I wish not to involve Prince Taeyong into this, but it was inevitable. I wish that it could have just been me, but alas, I had to drag down his majesty. I do ask for forgiveness on my wrongdoing, and that my passing should console those whom I afflicted.

 

 

Doyoung allowed the ink to dry before closing the journal to keep hidden once more, only to be uncovered when the time comes. Doyoung looked out of the window and sighed as he watched the setting sun. It has been a long time coming and if he was being honest with himself, he feared it now more than ever. He took a step back and walked out of his room to resume his duty to his prince, until his last breath, he will serve Taeyong with all his might.

 

 

- - -

The palace was silent in respect to the news of Taeyong stepping down, years of discipline had taught the people to shut their mouths when needed, and this one was one of them. Taeyong is dearly loved because of his personality, a strong leader but a person with a soft heart, so to hear him step down was a cause of mourning for everyone. For two sets of people however, it was chaos waiting to happen.

 

 

“Good morning.” Taeyong greeted and two sets of courts bowed at him. ‘as ou have been briefed, I will be stepping down and handing over the crown to Mark  the soonest possible.” Taeyogn turned to his brother who had his head down. “I do believe in his own court as you have the best mentors but to transition both courts, I am asking for mine to aide Mark’s .” Taeyong smiled and turned to Renjun.

 

 

“You are a person with a strong sense of justice and mind that is beyond your years, I beg of you Renjun, to be my brother’s wise voice.” Taeyong said and Renjun bowed low.

 

 

“I will do that your majesty.” Renjun replied.

 

 

“Donghyuck?” Taeyogn called out and the boy stepped  forward and away from his twin brother. “I entrust my brother to you.” Taeyong said and both Mark and Donghyuck looked at him with wide eyes. “It is not a secret, your feelings and attraction is quite obvious to everyone but the two of you. I know that I should not step in but it is a drastic time.” Taeyong apologized and kissed the boy’s forehead. “Be Mark’s sun.” He finished and Donghyuck hugged the prince tightly as tears fell from his eyes.

 

 

“I do not wish to continue with the melancholy, it is inevitable that this will happen. I wish for nothing but happiness for the remaining time that I have. Kun?” He called out and the medic bowed his head. “I relieve you of any burden, and if I ask, I will allow you to break the medic’s code.” Taeyong said and Kun sighed.

 

 

“Of course your majesty.” Kun replied with a heavy heart.

 

 

“I guess that this is all, we shall start the preparations for the turnover.” Taeyong clapped his hand once and dismissed his court.

 

 

“I am still not liking this.” Mark told his brother but they both knew that it won’t change a thing.

 

“I know Mark.” Taeyong said and led his brother out of the room to turn over his own work to him.

 

“You can do a lot of things to prevent this hyung.” Mark insisted.

 

 

“I will ask you one thing Mark, Please answer me honestly.” Taeyong said as they walked down the corridor. “If Donghyuck asked you for freedom, would you let him go?” Taeyong asked and Mark furrowed his brows. “If you knew that Donghyuck desired freedom and to explore the world, would you tie him down to you and keep him by your side knowing that this would make him unhappy?” Taeyong continued and Mark was left contemplating on the answer. “Once you figure it out, tell me your answer.” Taeyong smiled and opened his office and went inside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

a/n: I am not putting up the warning just yet but should it happen, please be warned, there can be some major character death. But this is tentative and will be based on how people perceive the direction should go. Please let me know.

 

I will get to Yuta and Jaehyun come the succeeding chapters as it is unfair that we only see Taeyong’s and Doyoung’s side of the story. But as initially stated, the story will have more insight on these two major characters.

 

 

Also, I perceived this to be a short story so it will end sooner than later.

 

Thank you for reading !